Cadet985
Topic Author

Obama-Biden Ticket Confirmed

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:28 am

Still looking for further verification, but WPVI-TV the ABC affiliate here in Philadelphia claims that a source has told them that Biden is the pick. My dad also saw something on CNN, but I can't find anything on any news websites as of yet.

My prediction is that no one wants to be the first to really say it until word is released officially because that's what led to the whole 2000 debacle.

Marc

prosa

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:41 am

Well, earlier this evening a chartered jet flew from MDW to ILG:

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/...fun_with_flightaware_whats_thi.php
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

jcs17

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:45 am

First of all... Allah Akbar! Worst.... VP.... pick.... ever.

It will be Biden, Secret Service have been dispatched to his residence. Not that it really matters because Obama will lose easily on his own merit (or lack thereof), but its an atrocious pick. I get to drive all over rural North Texas on Monday and I'm already looking forward to hearing 35 years of Biden on conservative talk radio. He has so many quotes than indirectly reference an Obama presidency that it is absolute gold. I actually might've been worried about my fearless prediction (see my: "McCain will win" post) had he chosen Sibelius (who really scared me) or Clinton.

Biden brings little but experience, a lot of failure, and a whole lot of hilarious sound clips.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

JetBlueGuy2006

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:43 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 2):
Worst.... VP.... pick.... ever.

I wouldn't say worst ever; but he has built his whole campaign around change. How does picking a 6 term senator from a state that he already has in his pocket help him? Granted, he gets experience. But how can you defend saying a year ago that Obama is not ready to be president (Biden said that in a debate last year). And its not like Obama has done much outside of campaign since then. I would love to see the breakdown of the leading candidates time spent in Washington...doing what they were elected to do since the term began in mid-late 2007. If I had to guess; probably sub 50%; maybe worse.

I was a supporter of Clinton; but I find it very difficult for me to vote for Obama. It is not because Clinton lost; even though I thought she did get treated unfairly. It is just that he is so inexperienced on the national stage is scares me. He thinks that 1 trip showing-off in Europe and the middle east will help calm fears. My apprehension of voting for him has nothing to do with Clinton; its that he brings so little to the table besides words.

I also am frustrated by all the Obama-nation. They think that he is some great politician; but how many politicians are free and clear? Then they think there is something wrong with anyone who either liked Hillary Clinton; or who simply did not like Barack Obama. Not all of his supporters are like that, however a lot are. It demoralizes people.

I have to wonder if that is why a lot of Clinton supporters haven't jumped on the Obama bandwagon. It is not necessarily that they dislike Obama; but the fact that they were treated so badly and made to (IMHO) feel like crap for supporting Hillary Clinton by his supporters.

That is part of the reason why I have difficulty with supporting him is that his supporters have been so nasty towards people who support Clinton. I am really just worried about the Supreme Court in the next 4 years.

If Obama looses (with a good likelyhood that it will); John Paul Stevens, Clarence Thomas and Ruth Ginsburg seem to be the ones likely to retire. If Justice Stevens and Ginsburg do retire and with replacements appointed by McCain....then my fear is civil liberties and personal freedoms will slowly be repealed.

I think this is the wrong choice for VP. He now has to make sure Biden can keep quiet when need be and has to win over a HUGE voting block. He hasn't been able to do that, and I am afraid he won't be able to
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

tsaord

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:54 am

CNN is confirming it right now. But I didn't get a text message lol. They first said he changed his mind and would report it Saturday morning!

P.S. I'm not moved by this choice. But it is his choice!

[Edited 2008-08-22 22:12:55]
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

scrubbsywg

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:55 am

cnn and fox just announced they have confirmed that it is indeed Biden as the VP pick.

jcs17

Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:26 am

The Barry Hussein Obama VP Test:

1) You have forgotten which of these freshman-level university concepts?

A) Economics

B) History

C) I didn't have universal pre-school, so how should I know about any of this

D) All of the above
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Vctony

Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:28 am

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 5):

P.S. I'm not moved by this choice. But it is his choice!

I love how the Democrats constantly snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Obama ran a great primary campaign but has been bumbling and stumbling ever since the primaries ended. This is probably the weakest VP candidate he could have picked (a la Gore/Liberman in 2000) and may have just cost him the election.

Obama needs to win Virginia and Florida to win the election. Biden will not help him in either.

usxguy

Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:33 am

In order for Obama to win this election, he needs to select a conservative Democrat... that's why Kerry / Edwards did not win.. you NEVER put 2 of the same cloth on the ticket. The idea is to appeal to the masses, not those who already support you.

I'd expect McCain to get a conservative VP... McCain is already about as liberal as a republican as you can get, so he'll be able to pick up the moderates better than Obama.. its the right wing base that isn't so sure of him.
xx

L-188

Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:38 am

Probably one of the better choices that could have been made from a republican point of view. Biden is in fact what is known as a perennial canidate.

Lets play a bit of word association:

Obama-Biden
Osama-Binladin.

Way to close for advertinsing purposes.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

FlyDeltaJets87

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:33 am

THANK GOD IT'S NOT CLINTON!!!!!!  biggrin   biggrin   biggrin   biggrin   biggrin 

Since he didn't pick Clinton, I am suprised he picked a VP candidate from an already solid blue state - Deleware. I thought he would have chosen a candidate from one of the potential swing states, especially a red swing state from 2004 such as Ohio, to give themselves a better chance at turning the map.

The next couple months shall be interesting (as they usually are).
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:36 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 9):

Obama-Biden
Osama-Binladin.

Oh boy, would have never expected to see this.  Yeah sure

Classy conservatives, like usual.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

jhooper

Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:41 am

No more speculation; It's officially Biden. Got the text from the campaign at 2:34am CT
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

PSA727

Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:08 am

Hallelujah!!! YES,YES,YES,YES,YES !!!

This shows that Obama had very little choice in his VP pick, and his campaign knows that
things are not going as great as they should be.

So the candidate of change chooses someone who's been in Washington longer than his
opponant? And how are Biden's votes in regards to Iraq different than McCain's?

At least this helps Obama with winning Delaware (and Maryland)  Yeah sure .

Quoting USXguy (Reply 8):
In order for Obama to win this election, he needs to select a conservative Democrat... that's why Kerry / Edwards did not win.. you NEVER put 2 of the same cloth on the ticket. The idea is to appeal to the masses, not those who already support you.

How did that work out for Michael Dukakis?

And to everyone who signed up for the text messages...Apparently some of the cable news
channels broke the story first...But now the Obama campaign has a way to solicit you again, and
again, and again...........SUCKAZ !!!
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

jpetekyxmd80

Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:14 am

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 13):

A good political strategy can't work every time...it's not like that is the only factor...
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

HAWK21M

Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:43 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 9):
Obama-Biden
Osama-Binladin.

That was the 1st thing I thought of when I heard the names.  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

HOMER71

Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:26 am

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 13):

He picked up another, unwanted, running mate: Willie Horton Big grin
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

ltbewr

Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:43 am

Postivies on the choice of Biden:
From a mid-atlantic state, not a mid-west state that Obama is from
Was born and raised in Scranton, PA (home of 'The Office'  Big grin ) a real 'blue-coller' place
Catholic, a siginificant voting block Obama was weak with and can gain votes from,
especially in Penn., Ohio, NJ, and in Hispanic heavy areas of the USA.
Of modest wealth - perhaps more than Obama but a lot less than McCain and his probable VP choices.
Can talk and argue well, will be an agressive supporter of Obama and the Democrats.
Very experienced in the 'Beltway' - yet he didn't live in it, commuting to/from his home in Wilmington via Amtrak.
Very experienced in international issues from his many years on Senate committees.
Ethically 'clean' as far as we know, but with many years of vetting.
His first wife and a child killed and 2 other children badly injured in a car accident (drunk driver IIRC) just as he became a first time Senator. Loyal to his 2nd wife.
Has a son, a recent lawyer, who has joined the JAG in the Military and was to be serving in Iraq soon (that could change for obious reasons).
Clearly supports Obama on most key issues, especially in getting troops out of Iraq, the economy and social issues yet won't be a 'yes man' to Obama.
Won't be a 'co-President' or take on too much power - he will know his place unlike current VP Chenny.

Negatives:
Talks a little too much - often joked about and will be.
Has a few boo-boos, like in an earlier Presidential nom run, using a quote from a Brit
politican and not attributing it.
Is from a very small state, one dominated by a pro-corporate state government, the home of DuPont and the legal domicle of most of the Fortune 500.
Too much time in Washington DC, almost 40 years.
Catholic, may put him in a fix on key issue of Abortion
May not help a lot with conservative leaning Independent or swing voters.

I don't think Obama could have chosen anyone else from those interested who would have been as acceptable to the voters, to him and to the position. So it's on to the convention!

SpinalTap

Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:49 am

McCain is no doubt going to use this clip soon in an ad:

"I get what they call a stipend, a stipend is like money but its such as small amount they don't really call it money"

AirCop

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:10 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 2):

Spiro Agnew, Thomas Eagleton ring a bell with anyone, besides me.

PSA727

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:34 pm

Quoting SpinalTap (Reply 18):

I've already seen this on TV this morning in a McCain ad. It was beautiful because it
showed the expression on Obama's face as Biden was responding. Priceless !!!

If I were a Hillary Clinton supporter, I would be pissed. Why? Because he picked a
Washington insider. And yes, having worked in Congress for the past 30 years puts
him as an insider regardless of he commutes to the office or not. Moreover, there is
no way that Biden will succeed Obama as President. Biden in 2016? Please! So he's
basically shutting her out. Hillary in 2016 with not having been V.P. for 8 years? At least
if she were his running mate and Obama lost, she could have made a 2nd try in 2012.

However, she still has a shot in 2012 if Obama loses in November. (hint-hint)  Wink

seb146

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:46 pm

I think that is a good choice. I was hoping for Sebelius. She has very high raitings in Kansas. I don't know that much about Biden. I do know that when the Dems were still in the minority, one of the citizens of Delaware (I think) wanted him to meed the plane carrying the body of a soldier killed in Iraq. Biden asked to be there, but the Bush Administration officials said no, IIRC and he was mad and fought to go.

Obama/Biden will be much better than the rich white guy picking a rich white guy out of a sea of rich white guys over on the other ticket.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

DocLightning

RE: Obama-Biden Ticket Confirmed

Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:06 pm

My response to the choice was:

"HUH???"

Now I'm worried.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

MadameConcorde

Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:09 pm

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 20):
If I were a Hillary Clinton supporter, I would be pissed.

Humm!!! I wonder who the Hillary supporters are going to vote for and if they will be voting for McCain as a revenge for Obama not choosing her as VP.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

N867DA

Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:21 pm

This election has made me very unpolitical. I used to give a crap about politics and choosing the next president of the ''greatest country in the world'' but if these are our choices, it doesn't do much to inspire the masses. Something more than an empty suit or frightening old man would be nice.

A write-in sounds like the name to go.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

Alias1024

Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:35 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 17):
Of modest wealth - perhaps more than Obama but a lot less than McCain and his probable VP choices.

Biden is the poorest member of the senate. I believe his reported net income a couple years ago had a minus sign in front of it.

I feel it's a good pick. Obama needs a running mate to hit back at McCain hard, so Barack can stay positive in his speeches (gotta push the hope and change message). Of the potential running mates, Biden was the best for this purpose.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 2):

Real classy.  Yeah sure

Quoting L-188 (Reply 9):

Obama-Biden
Osama-Binladin.

That's just pathetic.

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 3):
It is not because Clinton lost; even though I thought she did get treated unfairly.

How did she get treated unfairly? Obama out organized and out campaigned her. That's why he won.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

doug_or

Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:54 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 19):
Spiro Agnew, Thomas Eagleton ring a bell with anyone, besides me.

You're not alone. Have you read Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail? If you can sift the through the strangeness its a great read.
When in doubt, one B pump off

RJdxer

Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:52 pm

Hillary has just got to be giggling like a school girl. 4 years from now she'll be able to say "I told you so" to soo many people. Since Biden is up for election this year in his Senate seat this could easily turn into a sunset tour for him. Must be nice though to know that you've sewn up those 3 electoral votes that Delaware provides so early in the election. It is after all such a battle ground state. I wonder if they'll hand him his speeches to make sure that nothing is plagiarized?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

Alias1024

Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:22 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 27):
Must be nice though to know that you've sewn up those 3 electoral votes that Delaware provides so early in the election.

Very few VP picks are going to bring their home state along. Richardson was the only one that could turn a swing state (New Mexico) into a guaranteed blue state. None of the others would have done that. Obama would have been no better than a coin flip in Virginia, Indiana, or Kansas even if their native sons or daughters were to be his VP pick.

Obviously there was some reason Obama didn't feel Richardson was the right pick. If you can't pick someone that will deliver electoral votes, then you pick someone that can tear down your opponent with a smile on his face. That's Biden.

RJdxer

Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:14 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 28):
Very few VP picks are going to bring their home state along.

That was sarcasm since only 3 electoral votes are up for grabs, being able to deliver them means nothing.

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 28):
If you can't pick someone that will deliver electoral votes, then you pick someone that can tear down your opponent with a smile on his face. That's Biden.

Biden's problem is his mouth. Have we forgotten that you can't step into a 7/11 in Delaware unless you have an Indian accent?
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

jetjack74

Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:26 pm

Quoting SpinalTap (Reply 18):

To be fair, didn't Ronaldus Magnus say the same about George H W Bush in the 1980 campaign for which Bush later was Reagans running mate?

Anyway, it is my firm belief that the Democrat Party is trying to deep-six Obama's campaign, with the hopes that he does lose this, so the Clinton war machine can be ready in 2012 to take on McCain-Romney. I don't think for a minute, that the DNC believes Obama can win this or has been serious in really backing this traveling gong-show.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 23):
Humm!!! I wonder who the Hillary supporters are going to vote for and if they will be voting for McCain as a revenge for Obama not choosing her as VP.

That is what many think is the case. Hillary supporters would rahter see her get another shot in 2012 rahter than risk giving in to Obama

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 27):
Since Biden is up for election this year in his Senate seat this could easily turn into a sunset tour for him

I don't think Biden is planning on vacating that seat.
Made from jets!

Alias1024

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:47 am

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 29):
Biden's problem is his mouth. Have we forgotten that you can't step into a 7/11 in Delaware unless you have an Indian accent?

He has certainly put is foot in his mouth a few times, but do you see any Democratic VP candidates that would be better for the job of attack dog?

Mir

Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:30 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 9):

Obama-Biden
Osama-Binladin.

Way to close for advertinsing purposes.

I guess it was too much to expect Republicans to be above such idiotically childish remarks.  Yeah sure

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

northwestair

Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:58 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 21):
Obama/Biden will be much better than the rich white guy picking a rich white guy out of a sea of rich white guys over on the other ticket.

That's kind of a stupid remark are you saying that Obama is a poor Black person? I believe everyone that is in Washington doesn't really worry about money. It doesn't matter if you are a Dem or Rep they are all rich Politions. Pick better words next time, never mind I notice you're a Carpenter. I forgot you don't have to go to College to be that may bad
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

Beta

Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:21 am

I feel Sen. Obama could have done better than that, i.e. picking Sen. Biden as VP nominee. I think there are better choices out there. Two things about Biden stood out in my mind in recent time. First was during the confirmation hearing for SC justice Roberts. Biden was trying to show off his intellect by trying to ask "tough" question; he ended up being so convoluted, confused, and finally realized he was totally outclassed intellectually by Roberts, and meekly said he was making a statement. It was hilarious. He was trying to showboat his smart, but just did not have the goods.
Secondly, I know the Obama's supporters will point out his supposed "expertise" in foreign policy. When the Iraq war was floundering ~ 2 yrs ago and the Bush admin was contemplating rush more reinforcements in, i.e. the "surg" strategy, it was Biden who rejected that idea, and ran around telling anyone who'd listen about "his" high and mighty idea of carving Iraq in 3 regions along ethnic lines, never mind the logistics of doing it. He predicted Gen Petraeus and his ideas would fall flat on his face. Well, who is looking good now! If Biden is such an expert, how would he have got it wrong so badly in the most important foreign policy in recent time? That's why I think Sen Obama could have done better, and really put a nail in the coffin. Picking a "showboat," who just does not have the goods, will open the door a little wider for McCain, instead of slamming it shut. Now, Biden may prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

DocLightning

Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:22 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 30):
Anyway, it is my firm belief that the Democrat Party is trying to deep-six Obama's campaign, with the hopes that he does lose this, so the Clinton war machine can be ready in 2012 to take on McCain-Romney. I don't think for a minute, that the DNC believes Obama can win this or has been serious in really backing this traveling gong-show.

If McCain wins and continues current Bush policies, there may not be a U.S. left to have an election in 2012.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

flynavy

Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:15 am

Joe Biden, eh?

Nice choice for President.  duck 

Just kidding.  Wink These next few months will be interesting for sure.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

ME AVN FAN

Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:21 am

In the Republican primaries which were won by Governor Reagan, one of the candidates, a certain George Herbert Walker Bush repeatedly stated that "Reaganomics" for him were "Voodoo Economics". The man later was Vice President with Reagan for 8 years ! Farther back it was well known that JFK and Lyndon Johnson absolutely detested each other. So that previous critical remarks of Mr Biden about Mr Obama are NOT to be overrated.
-
And Biden, whenever possibly a bit a boring person, is what Obama needed, a "full-white" somewhat aging average-Anglo from the East Coast with close links into Congress and acceptable relations with the military/defence-complex.

RJdxer

Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:25 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 31):
He has certainly put is foot in his mouth a few times, but do you see any Democratic VP candidates that would be better for the job of attack dog?

Bill Richardson for one. I can understand why they didn't though, This guy was on board all the way for the Clintons during their tenure but when the tide shifted, so did he. Who wants a fair weather fan on the team? Secondly, to keep the "change" theme in place, the Governor of Virgina, Tim Kaine. The problem with that pick was that it would have been too much change. So now he is stuck with a guy that shoots off at the mouth without a moments notice and has failed to generate any excitement about himself in not one but two Presidential runs!

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 35):
If McCain wins and continues current Bush policies, there may not be a U.S. left to have an election in 2012.

It's this kind of thinking from the left, and similar thinking from the far right, that keeps the status quo. I think I've heard this statement from the extreme of both sides everytime a candidate of the opposite party is elected and yet somehow the time goes by and the country is still here.

DocLightning

Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:35 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 38):
It's this kind of thinking from the left, and similar thinking from the far right, that keeps the status quo. I think I've heard this statement from the extreme of both sides everytime a candidate of the opposite party is elected and yet somehow the time goes by and the country is still here.

Tell me, RJ, if we are spending more money than we have without spending that money on anything that could possibly give us any sort of return, what will happen?

I will tell you what will happen: the U.S. Government will go bankrupt. That's what will happen.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Alias1024

Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:47 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 38):
Bill Richardson for one. I can understand why they didn't though, This guy was on board all the way for the Clintons during their tenure but when the tide shifted, so did he. Who wants a fair weather fan on the team? Secondly, to keep the "change" theme in place, the Governor of Virgina, Tim Kaine. The problem with that pick was that it would have been too much change. So now he is stuck with a guy that shoots off at the mouth without a moments notice and has failed to generate any excitement about himself in not one but two Presidential runs!

Being the attack dog isn't about being the smartest, most experienced, or even most factually correct. It's about having a sharp tongue and being able to take some pleasure in tearing down your opponent. Richardson is much like Obama in that both are more thoughtful. They take their time to bring their thoughts together, and neither is particularly good at quickly hitting back with a good one-liner. That's a talent that a lot of intelligent people don't have. Joe Biden has it. Occasionally he ends up with his foot in his mouth because of it, but more often than not he scores a direct hit on his opponent.

While I think Richardson would have been a better VP than Biden, Kaine, Bayh, or Sebelius, circumstances forced the Biden pick. McCain went very negative right from the start and Obama needed to hit back hard without looking like he was doing it.

ual777

Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:37 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 21):

So a rich half-black/half-white guy, and an old, rich white guy? You guys act like Obama was the neighborhood garbage man then decided to run for office one day....

He won't.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

MadameConcorde

Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:08 pm

Now I wonder who McCain will pick as his VP. Will it be Mitt Romney? Should not be too long until we find out.  Confused  dollarsign   dollarsign 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

luv2fly

Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:28 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 23):
Quoting PSA727 (Reply 20):
If I were a Hillary Clinton supporter, I would be pissed.

Please, they are not going to jump parties.

You hit the nail on the head.
You can cut the irony with a knife

RJdxer

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:21 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 39):
Tell me, RJ, if we are spending more money than we have without spending that money on anything that could possibly give us any sort of return, what will happen?

Want to guess which part of the budget consumes the most of your tax dollar and yet is not up for debate year after year?

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 39):
I will tell you what will happen: the U.S. Government will go bankrupt. That's what will happen.

Still the most truest of all quotes, and the way we are headed.

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the Public Treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the Public Treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy always followed by dictatorship. -- Alexander Fraser Tyler, 18th century Scottish historian, The Decline and Fall of the Athenian Republic

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 40):
McCain went very negative right from the start

I would dispute that. The entire DNC machine, since it became evident that Sen. McCain was going to win the nomination has been wrapped in "McBush" alluding that somehow McCain was a vote for Bush. Before that when it appeared Romney might have a chance the whole "Mormon" thing was on the front burner. Nothing could be further from the truth (McCain=Bush) but the DNC and Sen. Obama's campaign have been and will continue to play that up as a negative towards Sen. McCain. This idea that Sen. Obama has not been negative or has only been forced into it is a myth.

Mir

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:30 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 44):
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the Public Treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the Public Treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy always followed by dictatorship.

Dick Cheney said something similar: "Nobody votes the deficit." Push comes to shove, people want money now, and they'll vote for whoever gives it to them now regardless of how much debt and ruin such a policy will bring to the country in the future.

This is why people with sensible economic policies rarely get elected.

-Mir

L-188

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:36 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 44):
The entire DNC machine, since it became evident that Sen. McCain was going to win the nomination has been wrapped in "McBush" alluding that somehow McCain was a vote for Bush. Before that when it appeared Romney might have a chance the whole "Mormon" thing was on the front burner. Nothing could be further from the truth (McCain=Bush) but the DNC and Sen. Obama's campaign have been and will continue to play that up as a negative towards Sen. McCain. This idea that Sen. Obama has not been negative or has only been forced into it is a myth.

Agree completely. The DNC has been extremely negative from the start and continue to be.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

agill

Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:12 pm

PSA727

Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:40 pm

If McCain was "McSame" and basically 4 more years of GWB's policies, then the
conservative right would be carrying him on their shoulders. But they're not. So that
tells me that he would be his own president. And I have more confidence in McCain's
ability to pick a quality Cabinet surrounding him than GWB (or Cheney) did. And much,
much better than Obama would (Elitists Only Apply Within).

Quoting Mir (Reply 45):
This is why people with sensible economic policies rarely get elected.

Please don't tell me that Obama's economic policies are sensible. Much more social
spending with massive middle-class tax cuts paid for by taxing the rich? This has been
the Democrats' mantra for too long. Class warfare works in emerging democracies not
in established ones. And for a candidate hell-bent on bringing America together, this
doesn't seem like a uniting tactic. The wealthy are Americans also, and like it or not,
have an important role in this country. BTW, Obama's apparent classification of wealthy
is a household income of $250K. How much opulance does that give someone in say...
NYC or Orange County,CA or Fairfield Co.,CT...etc?

Mir

Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:40 pm

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 48):
Please don't tell me that Obama's economic policies are sensible.

I think they're more sensible than McCain's, but I certainly wouldn't classify them as sensible overall.

Those with the sensible policies are the ones that we don't have the option to vote for (except by write-in), and that applies to both parties.

-Mir