kaitak

Women Leaving The Church? It's Buffy's Fault!

Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:11 am

A UK study has concluded that one of the reasons why there has been a significant drop in women leaving the church and in particular, turning to paganism and wicca is the influence of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/entertainment/mhqlojkfsnkf/

I saw a report on this on the Beeb (ok, the BBC) a few weeks ago and the reaction was pretty split; fine (very fine) entertainment, but it's still only a television show. I'd tend to go with that; I'm a big Buffy fan, but at the end of the day, there has to be more to it than just the influence of television shows.

Incidentally, the report is focused more on the Church of England than the RC, but if women are leaving the Church of England, I can't imagine that the RC Church would have fared much better, because the CofE does have more more of a place for women within its ranks.

And if there's one demon the RC Church wants to slay, it's female empowerment ...

QXatFAT

RE: Women Leaving The Church? It's Buffy's Fault!

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:04 pm

First of all the Church in England is in a decline accross the board anyways. Actually I think in 10 - 15 years the Church in England and in Europe might even be non-exhistant. More and more indeviduals are leaving because the "younger" crowd does not want politics, religion, or anyone of authority over them.
Don't Tread On Me!