flynavy

Mentally Ill Man Tasered In FL Courtroom

Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:37 pm

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...oward-taser-083008,0,7660955.story

Quote:
FORT LAUDERDALE - Upset by a judge's ruling, a mentally ill defendant asked deputies to let him catch his breath before they carted him from the Broward Circuit Court back to jail on Friday, his lawyer said.

The deputies told him he had to go, according to Assistant Public Defender Anne LeMaster, and when he resisted, they shocked him with a Taser -- twice.

The county's Public Defender's Office says the deputies used excessive force and filed a complaint with the Broward Sheriff's Office. David Jones, 22, the inmate, was handcuffed and shackled, LeMaster said.

Here we go again. I won't play armchair cop in this case, I'll just wait to see what comes out of the investigation.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

Blackbird

RE: Mentally Ill Man Tasered In FL Courtroom

Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:32 pm

Of course we will watch as the forum's conservatives and blind supporters of the police immediately jump in and say how what was done was perfectly acceptable...

(I support the police when they follow the law and do the right thing)

Blackbird

MCOflyer

Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Well having been tasered myself ( I volunteered), I understand what pain hes in but am not going to judge anyone responsible till the outcome is determined.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

WildcatYXU

Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:00 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Thread starter):
Here we go again. I won't play armchair cop in this case, I'll just wait to see what comes out of the investigation.

Well, nothing can surprise us anymore. The prize for hitting the all time low belongs to the RCMP somewhere in BC for shocking an elderly man in his hospital bed.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

luv2fly

Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:31 pm

At some point this weapon has become more of a crutch and less of a tool.
You can cut the irony with a knife

flexo

Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:07 am

The other side of the story is of course that the man, according to the article, was known to be violent. I for one wouldn't want to be a cop taking a mentally unstable man back to prison who's known to be violent.

IMHO the fact that the man is mentally ill is irrelevant.

luv2fly

Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:02 pm

Quoting Flexo (Reply 5):
The other side of the story is of course that the man, according to the article, was known to be violent. I for one wouldn't want to be a cop taking a mentally unstable man back to prison who's known to be violent.

Yes he was known for being violent, that might have been the reason he was already cuffed and shackled.

MaidensGator

Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:22 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 6):
Quoting Flexo (Reply 5):

Yes he was known for being violent, that might have been the reason he was already cuffed and shackled.

So what would you suggest the sheriff should do in this case? Shoot him with a gun? Hit him with a stick?

Oh, I've got it, let the guy get his own way...  Yeah sure
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

MD11Engineer

Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:34 am

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 7):
So what would you suggest the sheriff should do in this case? Shoot him with a gun? Hit him with a stick?

Oh, I've got it, let the guy get his own way... Yeah sure

What about an old fashioned "come along" grip? You know, twisting the arm, finger etc., ok as long as the guy behaves, but very painfull if he doesn't.
I have seen German police use such grips routinely if they arrest somebody and the perp resists. There even exists a special grip, a male cop can use when arresting a woman, so tha she can't accuse him of having touched her inappropiately.

There exist also some grips, using the night stick or a tonfa stick for leverage. The British, Irish and Japanese police are experts in such matters.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

luv2fly

Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:34 am

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 7):

Oh, I've got it, let the guy get his own way...

Wow he is already cuffed and shackled and less of a risk, so what is your solution, drug him up.