sudden

F1 2008, Spa-Francorchamps!

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:09 pm

F1 fans,

It's time for one of the highlights of the season (at least if you ask me).

Spa has a great history attached to it, and it's basically a great track that has all the elements combined from many other tracks.
I guess it also separates the men from the boys with O'rouge (correct my spelling if needed)

Many claims that the WDC is now between Massa and Hamilton, but this is far from the truth as Kimi can still get back and show his form, and he have clearly stated that he has not lost his motivation to win. Although lately he have shown everything but championship driving. It sure has nothing to do with the car as Massa is able to win with it, so Kimi needs to step on it! Spa is the track he likes the most, so maybe this will be the turning point so he can make the rest of season interesting in regards to the WDC.

Alonso is in serious talks with Honda for (maybe) a seat next year already. Alonso have seen what R. Brawn have done so far for the team, and he looks to be interested to go for Honda for 1 year, and then move over to Ferrari. Will be interesting to see how this all works out.

As you could see, Schumi was again attending the race, and made the stupid comment by saying that he stopped racing to not stand in Massa's way. Strange that he never said this earlier, but now when Massa happens to be on a hype. Lets see how long this hype lasts, shall we!?

Track data;
Number of Laps: 44
Circuit Length: 7.004 km
Race Distance: 308.052 km
Lap Record: 1:45.108 - K Raikkonen (2004)

There is a couple of members that don't participate in these threads anymore due to obvious reasons, and rightfully so (I didn't either in the Valencia thread), but please start posting again so we can get the quality back in these threads that ones was the case.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde

RE: F1 2008, Spa-Francorchamps!

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:32 pm

I, like many others on this board, am really looking forward to this GP. First of all, I hope Lew Ham will be back in perfect physical condition. It should be a great race.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

flyboysp

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:34 pm

For some strange i feel that Kimi will come good again here at Spa. Yes he's been down on form, but what a better place for him to bounce back into form.

As much as it pains me to say it, i believe that if Kimi does not win the race, then Hamilton will from Massa. I just feel that Massa wont win here. Having said all that, if Kimi does not gain momentum here, Ferrari will have to IMO, make Massa the No1 driver.

I'm already thinking in my mind how they will be behaving at the La Source hairpin at the start.Imagine all the body work flying around  Wow!

Quoting Sudden (Thread starter):
As you could see, Schumi was again attending the race, and made the stupid comment by saying that he stopped racing to not stand in Massa's way

I thought that it was because he did not want Massa to be out of a job.
#proudtobeabulldog

flyboysp

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:39 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 1):
I, like many others on this board, am really looking forward to this GP. First of all, I hope Lew Ham will be back in perfect physical condition. It should be a great race.

For someone who was not feeling well for the last race, he certainly did not race bad at all. Having all drivers fit will make for an intersting race.
#proudtobeabulldog

sudden

Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:35 pm

Quoting Flyboysp (Reply 3):
Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 1):

For someone who was not feeling well for the last race, he certainly did not race bad at all. Having all drivers fit will make for an intersting race.

No matter what, Hamilton/Mclaren was not able to challenge Massa/Ferrari, and if he was that ill as it sounds, he would not have been allowed to race at all. Still, a damn good performance!

Quoting Flyboysp (Reply 2):
I thought that it was because he did not want Massa to be out of a job

So Schumi would have made way for Massa by giving his seat to Kimi!? Nah, not likely. Massa got his butt kicked anyway by Kimi, and I don't see Massa take the title this year either. And look ahead and lets say that Kimi leaves and Alonso joins. That would not make Massa's life one bit easier.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

photopilot

Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:54 pm

Finally, the circus is headed back to perhaps the greatest road course in the world. To my mind, it's truly what an F1 track should be. My only hope is that the race is decided by the drivers on the track, not the weather. Either a fully wet race or a dry race, but not a race with the tire guessing game due to changing conditions.

Personally, would like to see Massa win just to bring the championship even closer.

B747forever

Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:10 pm

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 5):
Finally, the circus is headed back to perhaps the greatest road course in the world. To my mind, it's truly what an F1 track should be

Agree with you. This track is one of my favorites.

We have for sure a really interesting GP ahead of us. And Monza is just a week after Spa so we will have a hectic but interesting time ahead of us.
Kimi needs to win this one if he dont want to be Ferraris 2nd driver. He can get it all on track if he wins this one and Monza one week later. That would just show that he is still a contender of the WDC.

And I pray to God that we wont see any more Ferrari engines blow up this time.
Work Hard, Fly Right

B747forever

Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:11 am

and he have clearly stated that he has not lost his motivation to win.

Yes that is true. Here is a link to that article http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/8/8281.html
Work Hard, Fly Right

scrubbsywg

Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:34 am

ahhh, i love the spa track. It is one i always look forward to during the f1 season.

BlueElephant

Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:03 pm

Wow..its been 8 replies...

Kimi's 2007 Pole....

sudden

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:02 pm

The race is on in regards to take over Vettel's seat next year at STR.

Buemi and Sato are to test now, and I actually hope that Sato will be the one on the grid next year as he really drove well up until the very end for SA.
Would also like to see Sutil give this a shot as I think he deserves better. Klien also want's to get back in the action, so maybe he will try to test as well.
SIlly season has started!
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/9/8294.html

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

waterpolodan

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:23 pm

As you could see, Schumi was again attending the race, and made the stupid comment by saying that he stopped racing to not stand in Massa's way. Strange that he never said this earlier, but now when Massa happens to be on a hype. Lets see how long this hype lasts, shall we!?

Why would he have any reason to say anything about that at all if it wasn't true? He and Massa are very close, and it was long known that Ferrari had signed Kimi before Michael made his decision, which put him in a tough place. Go out on top and leave the seat to Massa, or remain, send his friend to a lesser team or a test role, and possibly get beaten by a younger Raikkonen. He made the right decision, IMO, as he went out on top with that exceptional comeback drive in Brazil, and Massa has matured into a better driver than Kimi even, and in my mind the 2nd best in the world, just a smidgen off of Hamilton. This isn't some stunt by Michael to gain publicity, he doens't seek it, he was just honest in an interview and it has been long enough that he can speak candidly about what happened at the end of 2006.

Quoting Flyboysp (Reply 2):
I'm already thinking in my mind how they will be behaving at the La Source hairpin at the start.Imagine all the body work flying around Wow!

They massively reprofiled the La Source section last year, so those huge pileups like the amazing start in '98 are hopefully a thing of the past with the wider entry and exit and a less tight hairpin.

sudden

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 11):
Why would he have any reason to say anything about that at all if it wasn't true?

But why until now when Massa is doing good (for a change)? He would never had made that comment if Massa still was driving in the shadow of Kimi. If Kimi to find his form back, Massa will again have to face the facts, which are that he is not that good. If he drives in clean air he sure is fast, but in traffic he's not.
Still, I will not take anything from Massa cause he have for sure shaped up.

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 11):
They massively reprofiled the La Source section last year, so those huge pileups like the amazing start in '98 are hopefully a thing of the past with the wider entry and exit and a less tight hairpin.

That section of the track was made wider for the drivers to have more room to play with. Alonso used it to the max last year when pushing Hamilton way out after the start.  Smile

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

aerobalance

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Massa will be on the second race of his engine, it will blowup in this race as it did in Budapest and as did Kimi's engine in Valencia (also it's second race). Ferrari's pace of development has sacrificed reliability for performance to stay ahead of McLaren, yet one can not stay ahead if they do not finish...

Kimi should win at Spa with the fresh engine but Hamilton will win the championship by racking up second place positions from here on out.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

larshjort

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:04 pm

woohoo time to watch F1 in the cinema again  highfive 

Looking forward to an interesting race hopefully without rain and a red 1-2 finish with Massa in front.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

HT

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:16 pm

The track is a real bummer. Watching cars going through Eau Rouge is among the top highlights of the year.
While I have some favourites among the drivers & teams, I hope for a very interesting race.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

LTU932

Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:23 am

Quoting Larshjort (Reply 14):
Looking forward to an interesting race hopefully without rain

What? I say bring on the rain, because when it rains, F1 becomes much more exiting and unpredictable. I mean, under "optimal" conditions, nothing exiting ever happens, but when it rains, that's where the true skills of the drivers come to life. Just remember how well Sebastian Vettel did last time around when they raced in the rain.

It's sad but in F1, because of how predictable it is, lots of talent gets wasted.

sudden

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:49 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 16):
It's sad but in F1, because of how predictable it is, lots of talent gets wasted.

See your point there, but I would also add that in the rain speed is not really a major factor, but more how the cars are handling in those conditions. Teams that are usually not seen up front have a big chance to show off as well, and lets not forget the strategy applied. Just look at Honda back at Silverstone.

So rain at Spa would be a nice addition as the track is fast with high speed corners, which could let us see some nice surprises.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

bill142

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:49 am

Kovalinen is going to storm though for his second win of the season!  wink 

Rain is always a possibility at this track and it usually comes it fast, without warning. The teams will need to make sure their meteorologists their high tech equipment are on the ball. Some teams might like to employ the lower tech 'Eddie Jordan Doppler Radar' which involves sending a man with a radio up the hill and to call in when the rain is coming.

Stealthz

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:26 am

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 13):
Ferrari's pace of development has sacrificed reliability for performance

There it is, someone finally said it.... "Ferrari's pace of development"

Hello!!!! There is not supposed to be any development...

The evidence seems to point to one rule for the red cars and one for the rest... again!

[Edited 2008-09-03 02:27:53]
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

aerobalance

Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:07 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 19):
"Ferrari's pace of development"

You need to read the rules, there is some development related to the engine allowed (mainly auxillary systems and such), however, not to the point that you are thinking.

Stealthz

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:03 pm

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 20):
You need to read the rules,

Ah, but I have.

2008 FORMULA ONE SPORTING REGULATIONS
APPENDIX 6
ENGINE HOMOLOGATION

Quote:
1. A homologated engine is an engine identical in every respect to either :
(i) An engine delivered to the FIA no later than 31 March 2008*.
Other than the specific exceptions below, any such engine must include all the parts described in Article 5.4.4 of the 2008 F1 Technical Regulations and be identical to one which completed two race Events during the 2007 Championship season.
The exceptions are :
a) the homologated parts of the intake system up to and including the air filter, fuel rail and injectors, ignition coils, engine mounted sensors and wiring, alternator, coolant pumps and oil pumps need not be identical to the parts used during the 2007 Championship season ;
b) three different designs of intake trumpet may be homologated no later than 31 March 2008 and used freely during the homologation period ;
c) parts solely associated with engine installation in different makes of car and which have no direct performance benefit, which may be changed from time to time during the homologation period with the consent of the FIA.
Once homologated in accordance with the above, and subject to (iii) below, no changes may be made to the design or construction of the homologated parts for the duration of the homologation period laid out in Article 28.5 of the 2008 F1 Sporting Regulations.

There seems little in those few words to allow the Scuderia the freedom for such development that might suddenly cause the failures seen in the last couple of races.
Perhaps they have reduced the coolant or oil punps to beyond the minimum needed.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

aerobalance

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:33 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 21):
Perhaps they have reduced the coolant or oil pumps to beyond the minimum needed.

With the limited amount of freedom they have in developing engine related systems (because of the rules), I'm thinking the same thing, less parasitic loss due to tinkering with the engine lubrication systems and higher engine temperatures. Also, developing body work to limit the amount of airflow entering the coolant ducts (planned or not planned) could be an occurrence. Do you think Ferrari will ever tell us?! lol  Smile

Great job checking out the rules!

IF Massa's engine doesn't fail at Spa then maybe Ferrari has a handle on the problem, we'll see  Smile

aerobalance

Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:15 am

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 22):
IF Massa's engine doesn't fail at Spa then maybe Ferrari has a handle on the problem, we'll see

Ok, I just read from Ferrari that they have isolated the problem with the engines connecting rods failing and that their con-rod supplier - Pankl - have corrected the problem. The problem was discovered before Valencia and Massa's engine has the updated pieces. Kimi's new engine has the updates - yet the team knowingly let him race in Valencia with the crap pieces, why not change the engine and take the 10 place grid penalty? Ferrari and their Italian management is so hilariously odd! Back to the 80's and 90's mentality!

baroque

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:45 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 21):
Ah, but I have.

Most illuminating. Thanks.

sudden

Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:24 am

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 23):
yet the team knowingly let him race in Valencia with the crap pieces, why not change the engine and take the 10 place grid penalty?

I don't see that as an option on a track as Valencia as overtaking is more or less impossible. So to take a 10 place grid penalty and try to work his way through the field would most likely have seen him ended up outside the points anyway.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

BlueElephant

Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:53 am

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4093737,00.html

Weather Report for SPA.....hmmm...should make for an interesting Qualifying...and possibly even the Race...

Wasn't it Bill142 who said that colder temperatures favor McLaren?
And we all know how Hamilton and Massa fair in Wet weather conditions.....

LTU932

Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:16 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 17):
in the rain speed is not really a major factor

Correct. I don't dispute that.

Quoting Sudden (Reply 17):
but more how the cars are handling in those conditions.

Yes, but don't forget also driver's skills.

MadameConcorde

Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Qoting the PlanetF1 site:
"The wet weather poses a rather unique challenge at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit as given it's 7km length rain can often fall at one part of the circuit but not the other."

Spa is a great race track!
I think we will have an interesting GP this weekend.
Hamilton rules!  cheerful 

waterpolodan

Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:47 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 19):

There it is, someone finally said it.... "Ferrari's pace of development"

Hello!!!! There is not supposed to be any development...

The evidence seems to point to one rule for the red cars and one for the rest... again!

Uh oh, Ferrari conspiracy theorists in force again! True or false- There have been other engine failures with engines from other manufacturers this year.

The answer is yes, by the way. Why, then, are you claiming that this is unique to Ferrari and must be a sign that they are breaking the rules to gain an unfair advantage? Material production defects occur, and those lead to failures for every manufacturer. Nothing fishy about it, and we all know every team pushes every last letter of the rules to gain an advantage, so I can guarantee you that if Ferrari has found some way to improve engine performance within the confines of the rules as written, the other teams are doing the same thing.

sudden

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:00 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 29):
and we all know every team pushes every last letter of the rules to gain an advantage, so I can guarantee you that if Ferrari has found some way to improve engine performance within the confines of the rules as written, the other teams are doing the same thing.

Well said!
Just to add to this whole Ferrari thing;
All the teams, Ferrari included, sure tryes to find their way around the rules, and if one of them finds it, you can be sure the others do as well.
I think it's time to drop this whole deal about that Ferrari is getting special treatment etc. as this is just not the case.
When Schumi was driving some strange things did happen, but these days I think the past is trailing them more then the facts.

Anyway,
Press conference from yesterday
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/9/8306.html

Will Kimi make this "his"track by winning 4 times in a row?
He says they have more or less found the issues that slowed him down, and I sure hope he wins to tighten up the WDC race.

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 26):
Wasn't it Bill142 who said that colder temperatures favor McLaren?

This is true as in hot conditions Mclaren have problems keeping the tyres together.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

Stealthz

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:09 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 29):
True or false- There have been other engine failures with engines from other manufacturers this year.

Yes there have.. but!
Ferrari have enjoyed in recent times an almost unprecedented level of mechanical reliablity.
With a freeze on engine development one could expect this to continue or if possible even improve.
Ferrari suffered two highly spectacular engine failures in consecutive races, I was not the only one asking such questions.
The answer seems to have been provided by a component supplier so we on the outside can only look on and see how things develop.

Cheers

baroque

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 am

Go Madame Concorde, cos if she is successful it follows!!!!!

bill142

Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:21 am

I got an email from McLaren about the new footwear range they have in their store. In it was this image of Lewis. I'm wondering if they've gotten a body double or that's actually Lewis. Either way, this is one for the ladies

https://www.mclarenshop.com/wcsstore/McLarenB2C/Attachment/VMM_teaser_footwear.jpg

flyboysp

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:34 am

Here are session results for practice 1.

1 2 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:47.284 26
2 1 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:47.623 0.339 26
3 22 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:47.878 0.594 27
4 23 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 1:47.932 0.648 24
5 5 Fernando Alonso Renault 1:48.104 0.820 26
6 10 Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:48.428 1.144 29
7 14 Sebastien Bourdais STR-Ferrari 1:48.557 1.273 31
8 15 Sebastian Vettel STR-Ferrari 1:48.958 1.674 24
9 12 Timo Glock Toyota 1:48.997 1.713 26
10 6 Nelsinho Piquet Renault 1:49.068 1.784 25
11 4 Robert Kubica BMW Sauber 1:49.139 1.855 25
12 3 Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 1:49.185 1.901 26
13 7 Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota 1:49.611 2.327 30
14 11 Jarno Trulli Toyota 1:49.625 2.341 14
15 9 David Coulthard Red Bull-Renault 1:49.849 2.565 18
16 21 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India-Ferrari 1:49.986 2.702 27
17 20 Adrian Sutil Force India-Ferrari 1:50.117 2.833 19
18 8 Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota 1:50.125 2.841 30
19 16 Jenson Button Honda 1:50.464 3.180 25
20 17 Rubens Barrichello Honda 1:50.905 3.621 25

For those who were watching, were the top 3 laps done on the softs?
#proudtobeabulldog

waterpolodan

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:56 pm

Looking good for another Massa pole tomorrow  Smile

BlueElephant

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:23 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 35):
Looking good for another Massa pole tomorrow

....ANNND que the Rain....and Massa's chances at pole go away.

Slippery Conditions anywhere and Massa's in trouble....I don't think I've seen him favour well at any track where it was slippery, and thats his biggest drawback. Monaco he got third in the wet, but even then he went off somewhere, and he should have gotten first..

Didn't rain today...But I bet we'll see some tomorrow...( I hope at least)

flyboysp

Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:59 pm

And here are practice 2 results

1 5 Fernando Alonso Renault 1:48.454 21
2 2 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:48.504 0.050 16
3 23 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 1:48.740 0.286 19
4 22 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:48.805 0.351 17
5 1 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:49.328 0.874 10
6 7 Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota 1:49.405 0.951 17
7 15 Sebastian Vettel STR-Ferrari 1:49.427 0.973 29
8 20 Adrian Sutil Force India-Ferrari 1:49.585 1.131 22
9 11 Jarno Trulli Toyota 1:49.715 1.261 23
10 3 Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 1:49.725 1.271 22
11 4 Robert Kubica BMW Sauber 1:49.875 1.421 22
12 9 David Coulthard Red Bull-Renault 1:49.922 1.468 20
13 14 Sebastien Bourdais STR-Ferrari 1:49.948 1.494 20
14 12 Timo Glock Toyota 1:50.281 1.827 24
15 8 Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota 1:50.364 1.910 20
16 21 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India-Ferrari 1:50.740 2.286 11
17 16 Jenson Button Honda 1:50.925 2.471 19
18 17 Rubens Barrichello Honda 1:51.238 2.784 22
19 6 Nelsinho Piquet Renault 1:51.334 2.880 19
20 10 Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:51.640 3.186 7
#proudtobeabulldog

MadameConcorde

Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:33 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 36):
....ANNND que the Rain....and Massa's chances at pole go away.
Slippery Conditions anywhere and Massa's in trouble....

Practice session results can give some idea of the race but no more than that. Tomorrow will be more important with the qualiflying. The weather (and rain or no rain) will certainly play a big part.

Even then, there are so many factors coming into play in a GP, we have seen many times that final results are totally unpredictable.

Boeing74741R

Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:10 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 31):
Ferrari have enjoyed in recent times an almost unprecedented level of mechanical reliablity.

Which means that Ferrari are hitting the right notes in terms of reliability, and is something that the other teams and anti-Ferrari fans will have to deal with.

sudden

Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:22 pm

Quoting Flyboysp (Reply 37):
And here are practice 2 results

What is worth to mention here is that second session were a wet one. Although not full wet, but it came a shower where many of the toprunners made errors.
That said, if it will rain on Sunday, I sure think we can see Alonso fighting in the top 6 positions.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

sudden

Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:57 am

Quali about to start now, and I say that the 4 first positions will looks as follows:

1. Massa
2. Kimi
3. Kova
4. Hamilton

Lets see where we end up.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

MadameConcorde

Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:28 pm

Results:

1. Hamilton
2. Massa
3. Kovalainen

Go Hammy!
You're the Best!!!!!

I know you can win this one tomorrow!!!!

angel   cheerful   champagne 

sudden

Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:21 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 42):
know you can win this one tomorrow!!!!

On a track like Spa I would really not say too much just yet. I actually think that Kimi will pull something out of the hat for this one in regards to race pace and strategy.

Some think that Kimi should help Massa in the race for the WDC, but I can't really see why as at the same time last year, Kimi was even further behind the leader then he is now.
Great to see Bourdais get in to Q3, and take P1 in Q1. Maybe you heard it as well when he said that he should take a shot of the monitor showing his name on the top spot.  Smile

It will for sure be a great race tomorrow as nothing beats Spa!

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

BlueElephant

Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:48 pm

Congrats to Lewis for the Pole..but something tells me the McLarens are lighter and the Ferrari's are a couple laps heavier on fuel...anyone have any thoughts on that?

And what side of the grid will the McLarens start on...is it not the Inside and Cleaner side?..should be...right...one of my friends said the opposite so not sure.

Anyway...I hope that Kovalainen is lighter, and that they're on the cleaner side....and that off the start...Massa gets bumped to third behind the two.

Quoting Sudden (Reply 43):
On a track like Spa I would really not say too much just yet. I actually think that Kimi will pull something out of the hat for this one in regards to race pace and strategy.

I know that Kimi's got a new engine, but what are the McLarens running on?...

But I wouldn't doubt Kimi pulling something out of his hat...but if it Rains...it's really anyone's race (except Massa's...sorry Waterpolodan)...Would love to see Bourdais end in the Points...

sudden

Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:51 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 44):
I know that Kimi's got a new engine, but what are the McLarens running on?...

I think Hamilton has a new engine as well. Engine has to do 2 races, and gearbox 5.
In regards to the grid and who starts where, as far I remember without checking, P1 and P3 starts on the inside.

But I wouldn't doubt Kimi pulling something out of his hat

In more or less every race, Kimi sets fastest lap, so there is nothing wrong with his race pace. At Spa he will also be able to overtake, and not being slowed down by others. If he just manage to get the right temperature in the tires during Q3 (which is the reason for his bad quali lately), then he is back to where we used to see him.

Would love to see Bourdais end in the Points...

He really needs it as well, as otherwise STR might very well show him the door.
In regards to STR, I think Buemi from GP2 has the strongest chance to get a seat next year as he is one of Red Bull's "babies" that they support for a future F1 seat.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

EZEIZA

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:30 pm

Hammy is for sure having some winners luck this season. I'm so pissed off right now ...
I feel so bad for Kimi ... he did a very good race, and he might have not won at the end but he was still there.
Did I mention how pissed off I am?
btw, when hammy passes Kimi the first time, was it a 100% legal move?
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

baroque

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:32 pm

Holy heck. Lead all over the shop on lap 43. Even part way through 44 not clear.

Phew. You cut it a bit fine MadameC!!  duck 

BlueElephant

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:35 pm

Guys....In the United States....we call that...

a ClusterF*ck

I'm still trying to get over it...Mixed Emotions...I would have rather Kimi won then Massa getting Second....But...those last few laps...will go down in History...in Complete History.

Congrats...really...the True Heroes of this race...Bourdais...Vettel...and Kimi...
Hamilton also....

Kinda upset about Kova's situation  Sad...I think hit the wall...did he not?

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 46):
btw, when hammy passes Kimi the first time, was it a 100% legal move?

It would have been Illegal....If Hamilton would have taken the place...but he gave it back to Raikkonen.

sudden

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:45 pm

Championship drive all the way up until he basically screwed it up and handed Hamilton the win.
How embarrasing. Kimi will most likely have to play the second driver for the rest of the season.
Great move from BMW to change to Intermediates on Nicks car!

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!