cumulus

Is This Good Painting For A 7 Year Old?!

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:02 pm

My home overlooks the sea, and today it was a wild windy and stormy day.

My Daughter, 7, asked where her paints were. I dug them out and she started to paint sat at the table looking out to sea, with me not paying much attention. She then called me over a hour later and showed me her work!! This was all done from scratch on a blank piece of paper!

Verdicts please!!!

(I know everyone thinks their Children are the best, but I was quite impressed!!).

[Edited 2008-09-02 14:03:23]
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

TusAadvantage

RE: Is This Good Painting For A 7 Year Old?!

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:07 pm

That is pretty impressive. The clouds really look stormy and there's a lot of movement. Keep your daughter painting!

agill

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:08 pm

That thing looks like a kid made it  Wink

To be serious I think it's very well done. Shes good at painting.

UAL747

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:20 pm

You know, it's sort of a matter of if the color patters were intentional or accidental. Did the paint just fall that way and run and do the different colors, or did she intentionally take the time to make it that way.

I'm thinking it was probably at 20 min painting at the most...but still very good.

What I find interesting about it is the red. It may or may not say something about her personality, but red is a very interesting choice of color in this particular panting. And the red shapes are more interesting as well.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

cumulus

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:38 pm

I spent a while chatting to her about it as I was intrigued myself. The red are the sails as she saw two Yachts side by side, both with red sails, not 5 as per the picture! The white splashes are exactly that, white splashes from the waves (and there is white paint on the floor so I will grill her about that later!) and the colours are what she saw and even spent time mixing paints to get a near match. That is what threw me!

What concerns me is I'm about as artistic as a disabled Gorilla, and her Mother isn't too far behind, so where she gets it from I don't know!

Braybuddy

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:41 pm

Quoting TUSaadvantage (Reply 1):
The clouds really look stormy and there's a lot of movement.

Yes. There's a certain fury in the sky and sea to the right which really lifts it. Her choice of colours are great, and it's nice the way the sails are to one side, not centred, which would be the obvious thing for a child to do.

Given that one's talents can appear at an early age, I'd say this girl has a great future ahead of her, in either painting, design or photography. Or maybe all three.  Smile

cumulus

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:45 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 5):
Given that one's talents can appear at an early age, I'd say this girl has a great future ahead of her, in either painting, design or photography. Or maybe all three.  

As long as it pays so she can look after her Dad in his old age!

UAL747

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:46 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 4):
What concerns me is I'm about as artistic as a disabled Gorilla, and her Mother isn't too far behind, so where she gets it from I don't know!

Neither of my parents are artistically talented in any fashion, but I can draw extremely well, mostly technical stuff, but I've studied classical piano since age 5 and play most advanced literature at the moment. So, it's not always about the parents. Sorry to say...  Smile

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

cumulus

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:57 pm

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 7):
Neither of my parents are artistically talented in any fashion, but I can draw extremely well, mostly technical stuff, but I've studied classical piano since age 5 and play most advanced literature at the moment. So, it's not always about the parents. Sorry to say...  

UAL

Thank God for that! Hopefully she won't have any desire to get a shi*t job flying a King Air for a Pharmacutical company ferrying Execs about who are full of their own self importance and spending hours on the ground a LBA staring into the middle distance waiting for them to turn up!

BAViscount

Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:58 pm

Blimey, she's 7??? I've seen a LOT worse on sale for HUGE amounts of money!! I'd buy it!

I think you may have a talent there that you might want to nurture...
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

cumulus

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:01 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 9):
Blimey, she's 7??? I've seen a LOT worse on sale for HUGE amounts of money!! I'd buy it!

Paypal me fifty quid and it's in the post!!

BAViscount

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:02 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 10):
Paypal me fifty quid and it's in the post!!

LOL, don't push yer luck fella!! Big grin Do you take Luncheon Vouchers?!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

cumulus

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 11):
Do you take Luncheon Vouchers?!

Deal!!!

LHboyatDTW

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:10 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 9):
I think you may have a talent there that you might want to nurture...

I concur. The earlier you nurture it, the more it will mature.

I like the fact that the water is not perfectly straight. I know it was a rough day out on the water, but normally a kid would just paint the water as straight as he/she could or make it kinda zig-zag like. They look realistic.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

BAViscount

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:10 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 12):
Deal!!!

OK, I'l starve for a few days, but I'm expecting a frame too! Big grin

UAL747

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:17 pm

You do know that the luncheon vouchers go to your daughter, unless you are one of those child star parents that takes all their income and then sues them for it, then your child ends up divorcing you as parents, are you?

HAHA.

IHadAPheo

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:20 pm

That is pretty dang good for a 7 year old, her work is a bit better than my 7 year old daughter can produce so I am impressed.

IHAP

BTW how did she get MCOflyer's boats in there??  faint 
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

BAViscount

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:25 pm

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 15):
You do know that the luncheon vouchers go to your daughter

I suspect he may end up depriving her of her entitlement of pie, chips and beans and will force her to churn out similar masterpieces for sale to the British touring public. We've got your number Mr. Cumulus!! 

[Edited 2008-09-02 15:26:02]

kmh1956

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 13):
The earlier you nurture it, the more it will mature.

Nurture, absolutely.....but don't push it. You may end up pushing her away from what appears to be a natural talent for grasping and painting the emotion in her work. Always give her an option....

But that painting is fabulous for a 7-year old!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

AirframeAS

Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:20 pm

Impressive painting there, Cumulus! Keep her painting. Little girls love to do art work, my niece loves to do the same.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

WESTERN737800

Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:52 am

Its a great painting. I wish I could paint or draw. About all I can do is trace something to draw something.
Bring back Western Airlines!

don81603

Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:45 am

Any self respecting fridge would be proud to display that piece of art...  thumbsup 
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

cumulus

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:29 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 21):
Any self respecting fridge would be proud to display that piece of art...   

Funny you should say that...........(ahem!).

oly720man

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:45 am

not 5 as per the picture

It's a time lapse painting. They kept moving every time she looked at the sea, so she had to paint new ones.

Good picture though.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

DocLightning

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:05 am

Any self respecting fridge would be proud to display that piece of art...   

Funny you should say that...........(ahem!).

No. Frame it. Carefully. And put it in a box in a very safe and very out-of-the-way place. And remember it. Leave a note in it in case you aren't around to give it to her in person.

And on the day she moves out of the home, give it to her as a reminder of her childhood.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

cumulus

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 24):
And on the day she moves out of the home, give it to her as a reminder of her childhood.

That's a lovely idea!!!

MYT332

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:17 am

on the day she moves out of the home, give it to her as a reminder of her childhood.

I think she'd prefer a cheque to be honest. If I were you I'd get some overtime in on that King Air!  Wink
One Life, Live it.

cumulus

Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:54 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 26):
I think she'd prefer a cheque to be honest.

I don't give a toss what she'd prefer, she's getting that picture as suggested!! I'm a single Dad and after the amount I will have spent on bringing her up she will owe me!!

New shoes for School at £42.00? What has Britain come to??!!!

Kunoichi

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:08 pm

As an artist (*cough* at least, I like to think that what I draw and paint is art- I AM a former art student though  Silly), I'd say that it's definitely impressive for a child her age! I'd be amazed as well and you have every right to be, in my opinion!  Smile The nuances are incredible, and the red sails and white spatters are a nice touch and all of this are things that a 7-year-old wouldn'r usually think of - christ, I didn't even pull off something like this till I was 14, and I was the best in my art class!  Wow!

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 18):
Nurture, absolutely.....but don't push it.

My words exactly.  Smile I practically never accept commissions for that specific reason - I want to keep drawing fun - draw WHATEVER I want, WHENEVER I want - or I know I'll grow tired of it! I believe a kid would have the same mindset!
"Do you speak fluent Canadian?"

TylerDurden

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:11 pm

No. Frame it. Carefully. And put it in a box in a very safe and very out-of-the-way place. And remember it. Leave a note in it in case you aren't around to give it to her in person.

What's with the sentimental drivel? It's just a freaking water color picture. Write yourself a note to remember that. Keep it in very safe and a very out of the way place.

Your kid will likely paint a million more...and likely your walls, furniture, and other stuff you didn't want ruined. I'd celebrate the fact she got the paint on the paper....not the artistic value...

Your right, all parents think their kid is some child prodigy....but try not to kill the spark.

cumulus

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:55 pm

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 29):
I'd celebrate the fact she got the paint on the paper....not the artistic value...

The white splashes are exactly that, white splashes from the waves (and there is white paint on the floor so I will grill her about that later!)

Wink

Kunoichi

Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:28 am

What's with the sentimental drivel? It's just a freaking water color picture. Write yourself a note to remember that. Keep it in very safe and a very out of the way place.

Your kid will likely paint a million more...and likely your walls, furniture, and other stuff you didn't want ruined. I'd celebrate the fact she got the paint on the paper....not the artistic value...

Your right, all parents think their kid is some child prodigy....but try not to kill the spark.

Oi, didn't get your morning coffee yet?  

Come on! It's a great picture for a 7 year old! Many adults aren't able to mix watercolors to get fitting shades like that!  

Btw - if she gets hooked on painting, I'd advice you to buy a tablet and get Photoshop - it has so many features to mimic watercolors and other painting forms, and I can imagine it'd be so much fun for a kid to use (and a lot cleaner) and the tablet allows her to use it like a paintbrush/pencil (I can recommend Wacom Bamboo as a cheap alternative, but the absolute best of the best is Wacom Intuos3 - and tablets are great for photo work too, so plane spotter daddies get a new toy as well! Just don't steal it from the kid.  )! Here're some "paintings"/drawings made in photoshop, mimicing traditional media:

"Copic marker" look from a friend:

Watercolor look:

© shadowedbyhim.deviantart.com

Ink look from a friend:

(sorry about the style - I aimed at only showing pics that I had permission to use, and felt awkward to just pop up and ask a stranger, so I asked friends instead - and all of my friends draw that cartoony (anime) style... apart from the one who did the orange.  )

[Edited 2008-09-03 20:29:14]

miamix707

Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:02 am

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers on tour? Big grin

j/k aside, that kid is very visually inclined, the realism of the composition especially the representation of the sky is great!

I'd celebrate the fact she got the paint on the paper....not the artistic value...

lol... wth?

TylerDurden

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:17 pm

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 31):
Oi, didn't get your morning coffee yet?

Nothing like that...there is just nothing so transparent as cheap sentimentality...

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 32):
lol... wth?

Kids tend to make a mess when painting...thought that was pretty clear. Guess not.

miamix707

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:01 pm

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 33):

Kids tend to make a mess when painting...thought that was pretty clear. Guess not.

It's not. I painted a lot when I was a kid and never painted walls of furniture. Your comment is still random & oddball when you should be congratulating the man, or kid.. sorry lol

TylerDurden

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:26 pm

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 34):
It's not. I painted a lot when I was a kid and never painted walls of furniture. Your comment is still random & oddball when you should be congratulating the man, or kid.. sorry lol

Don't care about your opinion on my comments. Cumulus already mentioned she got paint on the floor.
Yes, yes...I'm sure you never made a mess while painting as a child.
Good for your parents.

Kunoichi

Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:28 pm

Quoting TylerDurden (Reply 35):
Reply 35

Guess you don't care that much for kids - which is fine, of course Big grin - but... then, what are you doing in a thread that's (obviously just by looking at the title) about a painting that a 7 year old made - and more than 99% likely made by a proud parent, and almost right as likely to have such sentimental remarks in it?  Silly I don't think Cumulus would've let her paint if he didn't expect at least a little bit of a mess - and it's watercolor, it washes off with a bit of water - easy peasy to remove and nothing to fuss over.  Smile

cumulus

Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:50 pm

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 36):
it washes off with a bit of water - easy peasy to remove and nothing to fuss over.  

Wooden floor, a must for any Parent!!!

TylerDurden

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:31 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 37):
Wooden floor, a must for any Parent!!!

We had a spare room for 'art' projects......called the garage! I think they could just hose it down.

AGM100

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:01 pm

It is beautiful , she has it . !

I have a daughter who has the same type of eye for color mixing and like your daughter has made beautiful paintings since she was 4/5. Compared to my other 2 children who have always painted more like "stick" figures. It is a natural talent some have it some do not , I would say you daughter has the gift.

The problem I am having is development of the talent , in my daughters case it must be something she just does. I enrolled her in art class and she did not seem to be able to let her natural talent just flow. Now I just encourage her to paint and try to make it fun ! .

I have a whole box of her painting , sometimes I just get them out and look at them... priceless.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

UltimateDelta

Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:05 pm

I really like it, primarily because of the sky. I was pretty artistic at that age, but I don't think I ever did anything like that!
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

kmh1956

Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:07 pm

Jeez...cynical much?

Quoting Kunoichi (Reply 28):
Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 18):
Nurture, absolutely.....but don't push it.

My words exactly.

I found that with my daughter (a dancer) that as long as she had the choice to continue to take dance classes she was more committed. I think if I'd tried to push her, the artistic sense that she was born with would have been squashed. I've seen it with a lot of kids (whose parents I work with)...they take an interest in, for example, playing violin...next thing you know the parents have them taking violin lessons after school 4 days a week and on weekends. After a while, the kid loses all interest...but the parent is still pushing...the kid starts to resent both the parent AND the art form....not good.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

cumulus

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:39 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 41):
I think if I'd tried to push her, the artistic sense that she was born with would have been squashed

This is so true, she used to go to Ballet and her Mum pushed it and she ended up hating it. I have always tried to keep everything balanced and make it her choice.

She loves her art, her music and Tennis and until recently Piano but I could see she didn't like it anymore so I stopped it which was no bad thing as it made a horrible noise!!

ual757

Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:19 am

Quoting Ihadapheo (Reply 16):
BTW how did she get MCOflyer's boats in there??

HAHAHAH Very nice!

Also thats a very nice painting!!