plateman

Germany Tips For Trip

Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi Guys,

I have just started a new job that gives me a ton of paid vacation time, so I was thinking of taking a trip to Germany between mid-October of this year and before Christmas.

I wanted to know if this idea sounds feasible?
What the weather is like during that time (snow, cold, etc?)
What is not to be missed in the below cities?
If there is enough to do for about 6 days?
If my plans are to ambitious?
Anything else you have.
Are things open during those months?

I was looking at going (in no order)
*Berlin-historical
*Wolfsburg-VW factory
*Stuttgart-MB factory
*Frankfurt-should I?

Any help is much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Brian
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

Charles79

RE: Germany Tips For Trip

Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:07 pm

Brian,

You won't be disappointed with Germany, it's a beautiful country with lots to see!

However, with only 6 days you might only have time for a few cities. I spent 4 days in Berlin back in '06 and that wasn't enough-it's a wonderful city so full of history and change that will take your breath away.

Now, you do realize that Berlin's at the north while FRA is on the south, which means a day trip by car/train. But if you do rent a car you'll love the German autobahn. My advice would be to do Berlin first, then drive down to FRA (Stuttgart is just next to FRA so you can stop and visit the MB and Porsche factories). If you have time, stop in Heidelberg for a classic southern Germany city.

As for the weather you might get some rain but it won't be that cold or nasty that you won't enjoy it.

Have fun!

Charles

MD11Engineer

Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:32 pm

Wolfsburg: All there is is the VW factory. I don't know if they have tours.
Frankfurt: I just spent two weeks there on a training course, and unless you want to stare at the skyscrapers owned by the various banks and insurance companies, there is not much going on either. It has a nice museum on natural history, the Sennkenberg Museum, but you'd finish this in one morning.
Stuttgart: Can't say anything about this place, never been there.
Berlin: My original hometown. Lots to do, lots to see. Only thing is THF will be closed by the time you'll get there.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

iairallie

Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:41 pm

The weather will be cold you will want to bring coat, scarf, and gloves. It will also likely be drizzly and gray. It doesn't usually snow a lot but they sometimes get snow flurries. I recommend going closer to Christmas when all the towns do their Christmas fairs. Germany does the Christmas season right. Very pretty, choirs singing carols.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

luv2fly

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:17 pm

The closer you are to Christmas time you can visit the various Christmas fairs (not sure if that is the right name that they are called)

Also stay away from the Apple wine.
You can cut the irony with a knife

flexo

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:25 pm

Quoting PlateMan (Thread starter):
What the weather is like during that time (snow, cold, etc?

Most likely cold and rainy.

In entire Germany you should be able to find something to do for 6 days  Wink

*Berlin-historical

Berlin is definitely interesting. It is also a surprisingly cheap destination in Germany.

*Wolfsburg-VW factory
*Stuttgart-MB factory

If you really want to do that, ok, but there isn't much else to do in these cities. I'd recommend going to Munich instead. There you have the BMW museum which is nice and on top of that, Munich is probably the nicest city in Germany. (And I'm from the north, so not biased!)

*Frankfurt-should I?

I'd say no, there are better cities - like Hamburg for instance

I would recommend not to try and see too many places in just six days or else you'd be spending most of the time travelling. That can be fun, too, though if you get a decent rental!  Wink

NoUFO

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:28 pm

With six days, I would not be willing to see more than two places.

Skip Frankfurt. It's a business city, certainly a good place to live in, but there's not much to see for tourists.
And skip Wolfsburg, too! Dresden has a VW plan as well and the city provides a little more than that, not to mention the nearby Elbe Sandstone Mountains.

Mercedes and BMW have nice museums, which probably both top a VW factory tour.

Berlin is best to be visited in summer. Only then the relaxed, yet somehow vibrant atmosphere, which is typical for Berlin, really kicks in.
When I lived in Berlin, I never wanted to spend summer elsewhere, but in winter I *always* wanted to escape the then grayish and wet city. Still, if you want to see Berlin - go ahead and do so, prefereably in October, maybe when the Festival of Lights ( http://www.city-stiftung-berlin.eu/ ) takes place.
But you should spend three full days there. At least.

With the remaining three days: Munich perhaps? Or all 6 days in Munich with day-trips to Salzburg (Austria), Bad Tölz (Christmas!), the "Eagle's Nest" and/or Zugspitze on sunny days.

If you happen to come around Christmas and are willing to visit a smaller city, put Freiburg on your short-list. There may be snow, the old town is pretty, the Christmas Market (I hate those stuff, but here you go ...) is said to be one of the best in Germany.
Freiburg is the "capital of the Black Forest", France and Switzerland are basically next door, and the city is within easy reach of FRA.

Alternatively, visit Germany in summer and Austria in Winter: 2 days in Salzburg and 4 days in Vienna.
I support the right to arm bears

MD11Engineer

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:34 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 4):
The closer you are to Christmas time you can visit the various Christmas fairs (not sure if that is the right name that they are called)

Also stay away from the Apple wine.

We have "Gluehwein" in winter, mulled, hot, red wine with spices like cloves and cinnamon.

Jan  drunk 

luv2fly

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:36 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 7):
We have "Gluehwein" in winter, mulled, hot, red wine with spices like cloves and cinnamon.

Jan

Does it knock you on your ass like the apple stuff does.
You can cut the irony with a knife

plateman

Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:50 pm

Thanks so much everyone so far!

You have convinced me to skip Frankfurt and consider Dresden.

I look covering alot of ground little time. So I'm still thinking Berlin and Stuttgart. Then maybe Wolfsubrg, Paris or Dresden....any ideas??

Cheers
Brian

MD11Engineer

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:08 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 8):
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 7):

Jan

Does it knock you on your ass like the apple stuff does.

Yep. You can top it off with a "Pharisaer", this is strong coffee laced with a good shot of rum and capped with whipped cream.

Jan

N1120A

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:17 pm

*Berlin-historical

Not to mention cheap, full of young people and vibrant.

*Wolfsburg-VW factory

I am sure they offer tours, but there is absolutely nothing else there. I wouldn't spend more time there than it takes for a tour.

*Stuttgart-MB factory

Remember that Porsche is also in Stuttgart. One thing I will say is that Stuttgart has a lot more to offer than Wolfsburg, which was built specifically for VW.

*Frankfurt-should I?

Not unless you know someone there. Otherwise, it is boring outside of the airport and Alte Oper.

What the weather is like during that time (snow, cold, etc?)

It will be cold pretty much anywhere in Germany at that time. Snow is unlikely, unless you are in the mountains or in southern cities like Munich.

What is not to be missed in the below cities?

Frankfurt - Not much, other than the airport and pizza at Pizzeria da Cimino in Bockenheim.

Berlin - Amazing city with lots to do. See the Brandenburg Gate, Tiergarten, Hackescher Markt and much of Mitte. I would also check out Checkpoint Charlie and the museum connected. Also, the Jewish Museum is an absolute must see, both for the history and the architecture.

Wolfsburg - Nothing there. Relatively proximal to Hannover, Hamburg and Berlin.

In a country of 82 million with thousands of years of history? Yes.

Not really. I just don't think you have enough time there.

Are things open during those months?

Yes, and you have the added bonus of the Weihnachtsmarkt, as mentioned below.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 4):

It is called Weihnachtsmarkt, and they really are a treat.

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 6):
Dresden has a VW plan as well and the city provides a little more than that, not to mention the nearby Elbe Sandstone Mountains.

Not to mention that scary looking DDR-era nuclear plant.

Quoting PlateMan (Reply 9):

I look covering alot of ground little time. So I'm still thinking Berlin and Stuttgart. Then maybe Wolfsubrg, Paris or Dresden....any ideas??

That is a lot of ground in a very short time, and not really enough time to learn a city like Berlin or Paris. As I said, Wolfsburg is a half day at the most, so no big deal.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

NoUFO

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:27 pm

Dresden is ok for a day and more if you are willing to do a steam ship cruise up Elbe river to the Sandstone Mountains and walk around there. That could be difficult in Winter, though.

I'll possibly be the last one who is going to keep you off from Paris, the city of light, but, just like Berlin, the best time for a visit is when people are sitting outside, sip on a wine and enjoy life.

I'm not sure why you stick to Wolfsburg. It is not even Detroit. It's a small, boring city with a huge factory plant.

andz

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 1):
Berlin's at the north while FRA is on the south

You might want to take another look at a map.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

NoUFO

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:35 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 11):

Not really. I just don't think you have enough time there.

rotfl  Great!

It is called Weihnachtsmarkt, and they really are a treat.

They really are kitschig, but each to his own ...

Not to mention that scary looking DDR-era nuclear plant.

That was a nuclear plant?  Wow!

Actually, I would skip Sttuttgart, too. Nice place to live, but, putting Mercedes and Porsche aside, little to do for tourists.

withak

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:42 pm

Wolfsburg-VW factory

Seeing your only planning on being in Germany only a few days I would not recommend visiting Wolfsburg. I'm living in Wolfsburg at the moment and there is nothing but the Autostadt and the factory. If you were in Germany for a month or so I would say it would be worth the trip but I think you would find it more rewarding if you spend more time in places like Berlin or Munich which have a lot of history and more than one thing to see.

Frankfurt-should I?

No. Unless you are planning on going spotting there is not much to see. As mentioned earlier it can be covered in a morning.

Kris

luckyone

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:46 pm

Quoting Flexo (Reply 5):
I'd recommend going to Munich instead. There you have the BMW museum which is nice and on top of that, Munich is probably the nicest city in Germany. (And I'm from the north, so not biased!)

Munich is oustanding, though absolutely freezing in the winter.

Frankfurt can be missed. Mainz, just across the Rhein is worth seeing. Berlin cannot be missed. With just six days you might want to limit yourself to two, maybe three cities.

I would highly recommend some of the little towns near Bonn on the Rhein like Oberkassel, Koenigswinter, and Rondorf. The ruins up at the Drachenfels and hiking up in the Seven Hills is something that no one should miss if they can help it, though granted it will be colder.

Wherever you go make sure you stop at an Imbiss and eat a Doener!

Qantasistheway

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:47 pm

Quoting Flexo (Reply 5):
If you really want to do that, ok, but there isn't much else to do in these cities. I'd recommend going to Munich instead. There you have the BMW museum which is nice and on top of that, Munich is probably the nicest city in Germany. (And I'm from the north, so not biased!)

Oh dear, Hamburg is the place! Do Hamburg! One of the nicest city in the world and my second home after Sydney. Spent some of the best years of my life there. Plenty to see, great train connection to Berlin and also the Reperbahn the local red light district for all the sailors that have "needs" after a long journey. I suggest you do Berlin 3 days, Dresden a day trip by train and two days Hamburg. That way you dont have too much travel time and can enjoy areas such as Munich/Freiburg/Salzburg and Vienna on a separate trip. Hope this helps and if any German member can back me up that would be great! Hamburg meine Perle (Hamburg my pearl)

Cheers

wilco737

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:51 pm

You have convinced me to skip Frankfurt and consider Dresden.

Why not skip Dresden and come to Hamburg. To see the lovely and beautiful north. There is a lot to do and see here. Hamburg is the 2nd biggest city in Germany and most people say: hamburg is the best city in germany.
You should consider that as well...

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

NoUFO

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:13 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 18):
Why not skip Dresden and come to Hamburg.

Quoting Qantasistheway (Reply 17):
Oh dear, Hamburg is the place!

I spent 15 years in Hamburg, its a nice city, moreso against the background that the city was bombed into rubble, and I would probably choose Hamburg over Dresden any day.
BUT: Our friend is going in late fall / winter. I mean berlin (with its more continental climate) in October: Fine. Go ahead.

November in Hamburg: No way. The risk that you'll find yourself in a drizzling cold rain with gray "carpet clouds" over your head is way too big.

That way you dont have too much travel time and can enjoy areas such as Munich/Freiburg/Salzburg and Vienna on a separate trip.

Good thinking. But, he'll most likely arrive in either FRA or MUC, so why not stay south? maybe it's colder there in winter, but at the same time it is less wet.

N1120A

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:19 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 14):

They really are kitschig, but each to his own ...

They are kitschig for Germans who have lived with them their whole lives, but are cool to see for the first time.

wilco737

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
They are kitschig for Germans who have lived with them their whole lives, but are cool to see for the first time.

I like them. Every year I enjoy my "Glühwein" there. The famoust one is in Nürnberg though. But everywhere in germany you will find christma markets.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

plateman

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:46 pm

Wow, thanks everyone so for the amazing feedback. I have read every word and strongly considered it (good thing quiet day at work)

What I am thinking now is:
Berlin----Stuttgart----Hamburg.

Thinking:
4 days in Berlin (with a day trip to the concentration camp)
2 days in Stuttgart for the MB/Porsche factory
2 days in Hamburg to get a sense of the city.

I was in Munich last summer and had a blast, so can't wait.

Brian

wilco737

Quoting PlateMan (Reply 22):

thumbsup  Sounds good to me. But don't forget the umbrella Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

LTU932

Oh dear, Hamburg is the place! Do Hamburg! One of the nicest city in the world and my second home after Sydney. Spent some of the best years of my life there. Plenty to see, great train connection to Berlin and also the Reperbahn the local red light district for all the sailors that have "needs" after a long journey.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Plus you have the beautiful and historic harbour, where you can take tours of some of the ships. And during the pre-Christmas season, you can hit the Weihnachtsmarkt near the Mercado-Mall and have some Glühwein. There's lots to do in Hamburg.

As we say, Hamburg is the Gate to the World (Hamburg ist das Tor zur Welt).

plateman

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:56 pm

Looking at flights, thinking about flying into Berlin and out of Hamburg...the best fares are on Air France 777, both connecting through CDG.

How is it connecting there? Are Germany and France Schnegen countries, or would I need to clear immigration twice in Europe? How much connection time should be playing it safe?

Qantasistheway

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:06 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 23):
Plus you have the beautiful and historic harbour, where you can take tours of some of the ships. And during the pre-Christmas season, you can hit the Weihnachtsmarkt near the Mercado-Mall and have some Glühwein. There's lots to do in Hamburg.

As we say, Hamburg is the Gate to the World (Hamburg ist das Tor zur Welt).

It's nice to know that some think like me. I do love Hamburg, unfortunately my Dad's career has moved us but HH (Hansestadt Hamburg) was an amazing place to live. I suggest you fly Germanwings from Berling Schoenefeld to Stuttgart and then again Germanwings to HAM however I'm sure if you wanted to you could choose a more adventurous route! (Just to keep this on the aviation side of things!

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 24):
  Sounds good to me. But don't forget the umbrella 

I agree, and the umbrella tip can help but if you are very lucky you might experience a beautiufl autumn climate in all three cities. You will have a blast. Some tips for Hamburg would be, the half destroyed church from World War 2 near the Speicherstadt(a part of town that has become trendy which used to be an area for warehouses located on the harbour with canals running through the whole area. Also the speicherstadt itself. A harbour cruise is nice. Visit Altona and walk around a bit, get a feeling for the city. Also Blankenese is a very nice part of town. A aminly residiential area on the river that has some very nice walking routes as well as views over the river and town itself. The Zoo is also worth a visit if you find spare time. There are many hotels in Hamburg. Expensive and not so but I'm sure you can rely on the cleanliness of them as remember you are in Germany!! For a nicer hotel consider the Le Royal Meridian on the Alster or its neighbour the Kempinski Atlantic Hotel. Otherwise in Blankenese there is the Louis C. Jakob or the Suellberg Hotel which has beautiful views on the river. I believe there is also a Marriott in the city centre so you could consider that.

For more info visit http://www.hamburg-tourism.de/en/

Hope this helps, you wil enjoy yourself! Make sure you use your time well!

Cheers

wilco737

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:12 pm

Quoting Qantasistheway (Reply 26):
I agree, and the umbrella tip can help but if you are very lucky you might experience a beautiufl autumn climate in all three cities.

Good thing is: I am from Hamburg, and I live here. I feel home here, but the weather can be very british  duck   rotfl 
Le Royal Meridian and Atlantic hotel are the most expensive ones here. but they are great for sure.
Blankenese is ok, but not really near downtown. I'd pick something closer to the city center.
Don't forget to visit Finkenwerder and maybe the A380  Wink
There is a so called "wilkommensstation" in Wedel. Every ship which enters the harbour of Hambug will hear its national anthem via loudspeaker. THen you will get someinformation about this ship. This is done since I don't know. 1800 something  Wink
Speicherstadt is awesome and the Hafencity is being newly build. many new buildings.
Don't forget "THE MICHEL". Which is Hamburgs most famoust church. nice vew from up there over the city.

Enjoy

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

NoUFO

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:31 pm

Sounds reasonable.

If you want to do another day-trip while in Berlin, consider Potsdam with Sanssouci Palace and the pittoresque Dutch Quarter.
There's a wonderful walk from south-west Berlin to Potsdam, formerly used by the GDR border police, which is described here. Highly recommended on a sunny day.

At the same time: with 3 days remaining, you'll have trouble seeing what Berlin alone has to offer, and those old statues at Sanssouci will disappear behind protective covers in winter.
Don't forget to have a beer at Prenzlauer Berg (see the Virtual Tourist pages). In fact, consider booking your accomodation in the Prenzlauer Berg area. Braybuddy stayed here, and I think he was pleased. Small rooms, but very affordable and the location is near-perfect.

In Hamburg, do a walk around Binnenalster, see the harbor, walk alongside Elbe river with its museum harbor (the Airbus plant is across and a little down the river). And don't shy away from Reeperbahn, the red light district. It's in a stark contrast to the upscale shopping area around Neuer Wall and Lake Alster.

Anyway: Have fun.

Edit: ah uh, this post got messed up ... wait a second ... so ... better!

[Edited 2008-09-03 13:36:18]

[Edited 2008-09-03 13:38:32]

[Edited 2008-09-03 13:46:33]

NoUFO

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:32 pm

Quoting PlateMan (Reply 25):
How is it connecting there? Are Germany and France Schnegen countries

Yes, they are.
I have never connected through CDG, but I was told it's a drag.

[Edited 2008-09-03 13:33:14]

LTU932

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 27):
Don't forget "THE MICHEL". Which is Hamburgs most famoust church. nice vew from up there over the city.

I've been to the Michel at least once, but since my physical condition was already bad enough way before I even started to smoke, I had a hard time climbing those stairs, but the view was definitely something special.

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 28):
In Hamburg, do a walk around Binnenalster, see the harbor, walk alongside Elbe river with its museum harbor (the Airbus plant is across and a little down the river).

You can also take the Alsterboote (which AFAIK have a different fare than other afiliates of the HVV), and even the ferries on the Elbe that are operated by HADAG (for which you just need a regular HVV ticket to use).

Another option for a city tour is taking a ride along the Ring, the historic tube line. You get into the U-Bahn or tube in Barmbek, take the U3 all the way, it will switch automatically to U2 at Berliner Tor (or, if you do it in reverse, take the U2 and change to the U3 in Berliner Tor), and apart from a few tunnel stations, lots of of the track is on viaducts, the most famous of them are the Isestraßeviadukt and the Hafenviadukt (which gives you a beautiful view of the harbour between the tunnel exit at the Adolphsplatz and station Landungsbrücken).

If you're lucky, and the Hamburger Dom is on (the Dom is a fair that happens every quater for about a month or so), take the U-Bahn or any bus that goes to station Feldstraße to get to where the Dom is always held, the Heiligengeistfeld.

aero145

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Thinking:

Meh, you gotta see Nordrhein-Westfalen too! At least a bit of it! Königswinter and Koblenz are beautiful and Bonn is greeeeeaaaaaat!

wilco737

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:09 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 30):
I've been to the Michel at least once, but since my physical condition was already bad enough way before I even started to smoke, I had a hard time climbing those stairs

rotfl  yeah I know what you mean. So you haven't used the elevator up there Big grin Then you only have to climb half the way up  Wink

but I had my trouble as well - and I walked the stairs all the way from the bottom to the top  faint  And I don't smoke...

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 30):
Hamburger Dom

That is always fun. And there in the "feldstrasse" is an irish pub for a nice guiness. it is calles Shamrock  Wink CHEERS

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

CPH-R

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:20 pm

I definantly agree with Hamburg.

And a stroll down the backstreets of Reeperbahn after hours is not to be missed, you just need to practice looking straight ahead and closing your ears to the, hmm, offers you'll be recieving  Wink I still get slightly pink thinking of the two lovely girls that walked right up to me and offered a menage-a-trois Big grin

LTU932

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 32):
So you haven't used the elevator up there

No. The times we went to the Michel was always with my school class of the time, and the teachers made us climb the stairs.  Wink

wilco737

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 34):
No. The times we went to the Michel was always with my school class of the time, and the teachers made us climb the stairs. Wink

Teachers can be mean Big grin

Oh and one other thing to see in Hamburg: The Rathaus. It is near the alster and it is one of the few old buildings in Hamburg which are still standing after the big fire in 1842 and the WWII.
Shopping area is just north of it. Mönckebergstrasse it is called.

Oh and another one: If you look for airplane models or anything related to aviation, there is a shop called "Wede". it is in the "Hanseviertel". They have all the stuff about aviation  Wink Worth a visit.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

UltimateDelta

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:20 pm

Quoting Flexo (Reply 5):
*Frankfurt-should I?

I'd say no, there are better cities - like Hamburg for instance

Cologne would also be a great choice, since there are tons of things to do there, including climbing to the top of the Dom there. And you should be prepared to encounter insanely tiny restaurant glasses (0.2 L).

Oh, and in Berlin: If you want a good place to eat, I have two suggestions: Die Eins (Go down Friedrichstrasse toward the river from the side where the Brandenburg Gate and all that stuff is and on the sidewalk above the river on the near side, turn left and you will probably find it.)
and Brechts Restaurant (I have the address: Schiffbauerdamm 6-7). Brechts has a website, and you can probably find out more about how to get there. www.brechts.de

Enjoy your trip!
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

N1120A

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:46 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 21):
Every year I enjoy my "Glühwein" there.

12 hours Gluehwein to throttle  Wink

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 24):
Sounds good to me. But don't forget the umbrella

And a thick, warm, windbreaking coat. Hamburg is Germany's version of Chicago in the winter.

Are Germany and France Schnegen countries, or would I need to clear immigration twice in Europe?

They are most definately Schengen and you will only need to clear the first time.

How much connection time should be playing it safe?

You wont need a ton, but you should play it on the safe side.

There's a wonderful walk from south-west Berlin to Potsdam, formerly used by the GDR border police, which is described here. Highly recommended on a sunny day.

I have done that walk, in the opposite direction. It is actually really cool. We went from Potsdam to right around Wannsee, where we got the S-Bahn back into the city.

In fact, consider booking your accomodation in the Prenzlauer Berg area.

I would also consider Mitte, since you are more central.

LTU932

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:07 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 35):
Oh and one other thing to see in Hamburg: The Rathaus.

Oh, yes, been there myself once. They have tours of the Rathaus AFAIK, so that's also a tourist option.

Too bad that when I was there, I didn't have the chance to stick around to watch the Bürgerschaft in session.

NoUFO

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:08 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
In fact, consider booking your accomodation in the Prenzlauer Berg area.

I would also consider Mitte, since you are more central.

Yes, but it's more expensive, too (Berlin is not this cheap anymore), and at the aforementioned Guesthouse he would have an S-Bahn, tram and subway station around the corner from where it's only a 7-minute ride to Mitte. Trains leave every 2 - 20 minutes (at night). The S-Bahn would take him to SXF or TXL (need to change trains only once), the subway to Alexanderplatz, Checkpoint Charlie, Friedrichst, Gendarmenmarkt, Potsdamer Platz and Kurfürstendamm/KaDeWE, the tram to Hackesche Höfe.
The new Hauptbahnhof (Central Station) is within easy reach, too.

And there are plenty of bars, restaurants and clubs within walking distance.

Edit:

I have done that walk, in the opposite direction. It is actually really cool. We went from Potsdam to right around Wannsee, where we got the S-Bahn back into the city.

Hm, I think that would be a different (not necessarily less beautiful) walk. The one I mentioned goes half around Griebnitzsee and then along Havel river wich is a little further south and closer to Potsdam than Wannsee.

[Edited 2008-09-03 16:15:39]

N1120A

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:13 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 39):
The S-Bahn would take him to SXF or TXL (need to change trains only once)

Since when does the S-Bahn go to TXL?

NoUFO

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:17 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 40):
Quoting NoUFO (Reply 39):
The S-Bahn would take him to SXF or TXL (need to change trains only once)

Since when does the S-Bahn go to TXL?

Ok, in this case you have to chance for the bus to Tegel.

LTU932

Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:49 am

Speaking of Airport-S-Bahn, Hamburg will open its Airport-S-Bahn in early-to-mid December. It connects the airport with station Ohlsdorf and line S1. From there you can also change to U-Bahn line U1, though in return the Airport Express shuttle bus, line 110, will disappear.

signol

Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:08 am

Berlin is fantastic, so much to see and do. I stayed in the Etap Hotel in Potsdamerplatz, clean, cheap, easy  Smile
Hamburg is also great, I've freinds there so visit occasionally. Visitng the Fish Msrket is fun, but you have to be here very early (6am) on a Sunday. I went in January a few years ago, there was snow on the gound, drinking hot gluhwein and hot juice, and a rock band performing on stage!
Also in the Hafencity is a huge model railway layout, worth a visit  Smile
Travel between, the railway is the best bet - the ICE is very cool  Smile

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

HT

Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:33 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 21):
I like them. Every year I enjoy my "Glühwein" there. The famoust one is in Nürnberg though. But everywhere in germany you will find christma markets.

Stay away from Christams Market in Nürnberg. It is overly touristy. Compare the masses of people with Oktoberfest in Munich but swap Beer for Glühwein (preferrably with Schuss = fortified with a shot of rhum).

And a thick, warm, windbreaking coat. Hamburg is Germany's version of Chicago in the winter.

It rarely freezes over in Hamburg. Last winter there was barely any snow in the northwestern part of Germany. If it shold get cold (= freezing for a few days), this usually is in January or February.

Like others have said, with 6 days only you should limit yourself to 2, max. 3 cities.
If you are really interested in VW's [i]Autostadt[/i} and do not like to drive a car in less then optimal weather conditions (rain, fog, sleet or winds), easily take the ICE train (or IC) from Berlin to Wolfsburg, then continue some time later by train to Frankfurt (or Hamburg, Bremen, Köln (Cologne).
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

N1120A

Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 41):

Ok, in this case you have to chance for the bus to Tegel.

Tegel is such a pain. The best, of course, has always been the U-Bahn to Platz der Luftbruecke for Tempelhof   

Quoting HT (Reply 44):

It rarely freezes over in Hamburg. Last winter there was barely any snow in the northwestern part of Germany. If it shold get cold (= freezing for a few days), this usually is in January or February.

The problem is the wet, windy nature of the weather, not so much the number on the thermometer

[Edited 2008-09-04 15:38:20]

HT

Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:45 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 45):
The problem is the wet, windy nature of the weather, not so much the number on the thermometer

Aye. Hamburg, therefore best is visited between May and mid-September. The same goes for Bremen, BTW.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !