akiss20

Pro High-Fructose Corn Syrup Ads

Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:59 pm

Hey all,

I have recently been seeing something I have never seen before: ads on TV that support high fructose corn syrup (paid for by the Corn Refiners Association). I personally try and avoid the stuff as much as humanly possible. What are your opinions on HFCS?

Ads in question

Cheers!
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

mdsh00

RE: Pro High-Fructose Corn Syrup Ads

Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:11 pm

Sucks. And soda without it tastes much better.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

A346Dude

Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:18 pm

Interesting ads, though I would tend to question any product whose selling point is that it's "fine in moderation".
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

kmh1956

Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:22 pm

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 2):
though I would tend to question any product whose selling point is that it's "fine in moderation".

Like beer? French fries? candy? Anything is fine in moderation......think about it.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

akiss20

Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:26 pm

One problem I think, however, is that the American idea of what "moderation" is has been completely warped. How do we define moderation these days? Everyone knows that fast food, for example, should be eaten in moderation if at all. If anyone has ever seen the movie Supersize me, it shows that something like 90% of nutritionists advocate never eating fast food, and the remaining 10% say that 1-2 times per month is the most one should eat. How many people do you know that only eat fast food 1-2 times a month?
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

TUNisia

Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:47 pm

These people are so full of ****. Every other country uses SUGAR in Coke, but the USA (where Coke was born) uses HFCS which is UNHEALTHY and tastes NASTY.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

vikkyvik

Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:54 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 3):
Quoting A346Dude (Reply 2):
though I would tend to question any product whose selling point is that it's "fine in moderation".

Like beer? French fries? candy? Anything is fine in moderation......think about it.

Yes, but alcohol and McDonald's commercials don't tend to say "hey, eat or drink this, it's fine in moderation!". Because that immediately implies that eating or drinking too much could be bad.

Obviously, it's true, but I would never expect an advertiser to put it in a commercial, unless they had to. Doesn't give you the best impression.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

dc-9-10

Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:30 am

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 5):
These people are so full of ****. Every other country uses SUGAR in Coke, but the USA (where Coke was born) uses HFCS which is UNHEALTHY and tastes NASTY.

Blame that on huge US sugar industry subsidies. If they were gone, HFCS would be gone overnight. The only reason we use it now is because sugar is too expensive (because of the subsidies) so they use HFCS as a substitute.

doug_or

Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:37 am

Quoting Dc-9-10 (Reply 7):

how do subsidies make sugar more expensive?
When in doubt, one B pump off

dc-9-10

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:15 am

Quoting Doug_Or (Reply 8):

There are HUGE tariffs right now on sugar that is not produced in the United States. These tariffs make sugar that is imported higher then the sugar produced in the United States. Generally sugar produced outside of the United States is much, much cheaper. Producing sugar in the United States is very expensive but the government does give subsidies to the US sugar producers. But even after the subsidies, sugar is still relatively expensive in the US compared to other nations. Sugar is one of the most protected ag industries in the US. That is why it makes sugar more expensive then HFCS for sweetening.

dc-9-10

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:18 am

Quoting Doug_Or (Reply 8):

There are HUGE tariffs right now on sugar that is not produced in the United States. These tariffs make sugar that is imported higher then the sugar produced in the United States. Generally sugar produced outside of the United States is much, much cheaper. Producing sugar in the United States is very expensive but the government does give subsidies to the US sugar producers. But even after the subsidies, sugar is still relatively expensive in the US compared to other nations. Sugar is one of the most protected ag industries in the US. That is why it makes sugar more expensive then HFCS for sweetening.

doug_or

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:36 am

Quoting Dc-9-10 (Reply 10):

So its the tariffs that make it more expensive? That makes more sense.
When in doubt, one B pump off

steeler83

Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:55 am

Quoting AKiss20 (Thread starter):
I personally try and avoid the stuff as much as humanly possible. What are your opinions on HFCS?

My opinion on high fructose corn syrup?

I am a type 1 diabetic -- enough said...

Please pass the splenda, equal, or neutrasweet, thank you very much...

I'm calling shenanigans on high fructose corn syrup...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

akiss20

Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:14 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 12):
Please pass the splenda

Ditto to that. Almost 99% of anything sweet I eat is made with splenda. The stuff is a godsend. And to you naysayers, its not like aspertame in that it is not an entirely artificial chemical structure, but rather a 3 carbon sugar that the body just cannot digest, so it "removes" it. I love the stuff.

N1120A

Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:59 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 3):
Anything is fine in moderation......

Crack? Heroin? Cigarettes?

Quoting AKiss20 (Reply 13):
Ditto to that. Almost 99% of anything sweet I eat is made with splenda. The stuff is a godsend. And to you naysayers, its not like aspertame in that it is not an entirely artificial chemical structure, but rather a 3 carbon sugar that the body just cannot digest, so it "removes" it. I love the stuff.

Actually, the argument can be made that aspartame is more "natural" than sucralose (Splenda is a brand name). Aspartame is a rather simple protein that happens to taste sweet. Sucralose is sugar that is treated with chlorine to alter those carbon groups, and any former swimmer can tell you how nasty chlorine can be.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss