EISHN
Topic Author

Going To See A Movie By Yourself

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:13 pm

I went to the cinema by myself today for the first time. I usually go with my dad and brother, or with friends, but I felt like going by myself this weekend, and so I did. I went and I saw The Dark Knight, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Sometimes you think you might get a bit lonely, but I was quite content. Of course it helps that it's a fantastic film. I do look forward to enjoying a film by myself again sometime soon.

What are your thoughts and opinions? Do you like going to see a movie by yourself?
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

AirframeAS

RE: Going To See A Movie By Yourself

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:15 pm

Ive done that many times myself. See no problem with it.  Smile
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

OA260

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:18 pm

Quoting EISHN (Thread starter):
What are your thoughts and opinions? Do you like going to see a movie by yourself?

I personally would not like to go to the cinema by myself. I just feel its a thing to do with mates or your partner. I actually dont go to the cinema that often anyway. Kudos to you for going by yourself though. The most memorable cinema experience was years ago in Belfast when I went to see MIchael Collins. After it finished everyone stood up and clapped.

ACDC8

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:23 pm

I've gone a few times by myself, usually matinees though. I did go to the drive-in by myself over the last two weekends. I got a few stares there, but that didn't bother me.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

EISHN
Topic Author

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:28 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 1):
Ive done that many times myself. See no problem with it

And I think I'll keep it up  Smile

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 2):
I personally would not like to go to the cinema by myself. I just feel its a thing to do with mates or your partner.

I used to feel that way myself, but more and more recently I've been inclined to prefer spending time in my own company. Now, that being said, I do still enjoy going out with my mates, and having great conversations with them.

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 2):
The most memorable cinema experience was years ago in Belfast when I went to see MIchael Collins. After it finished everyone stood up and clapped.

Now that's really interesting. I would have though it would have caused a lot of trouble up North?

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 3):
I've gone a few times by myself, usually matinees though

Yeah, this was a matinée as well (2:30). I figured I'd go see the film one more time before it leaves the cinema here. Today was my third time seeing it, and I still love it!
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

mainMAN

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:38 pm

I once went to the Sydney Opera House by myself, bought a glass of champagne in the atrium, went outside, had a smoke and quietly toasted myself.

I prefer to go with other people, but I occasionally go to the theatre alone especially midweek when the tickets are cheaper and my mates/partner are at work (I work weird hours). Lots of people do it, it's ok as long as you remember how much you've enjoyed what you're there to see.

OA260

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Quoting EISHN (Reply 4):
Now that's really interesting. I would have though it would have caused a lot of trouble up North?

I guess the people going to see that film back then were more from the West of the city. My mate who went with me though was not impressed LOL.....

EISHN
Topic Author

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:51 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 5):
I once went to the Sydney Opera House by myself, bought a glass of champagne in the atrium, went outside, had a smoke and quietly toasted myself.

I prefer to go with other people, but I occasionally go to the theatre alone especially midweek when the tickets are cheaper and my mates/partner are at work (I work weird hours). Lots of people do it, it's ok as long as you remember how much you've enjoyed what you're there to see.

I wouldn't mind doing that. Although, we don't have an opera house nearby, and any plays that are on tend to be quite pricey. Still, I'd like to that someday.

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 6):
My mate who went with me though was not impressed LOL.....

I'm guessing he wasn't from the West side then?

eicvd

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:07 pm

What are your thoughts and opinions? Do you like going to see a movie by yourself

Never gone to the cinema on my own before & dont think I will. Im not really a film person to be honest so only usually go with a female friend.
COYBIB

Pe@rson

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:12 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 5):

Could have sworn you wrote something other than toasted then.

I have been on my own once in the UK and thought the experience was odd and not particularly enjoyable. However, I have been several times in foreign places, particularly in Cairo. I found it far easier abroad.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

IHadAPheo

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:18 pm

I have been told that some of the finer places have a strict one person person per booth err cinema rule.

IHAP

oh yes, it has been ages since I was in any kind of movie by myself
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

PSA727

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:21 pm

I grew up in California, and there wasn't a "taboo" associated with going to the movies
alone. When I moved to the D.C. area, that changed. I had told a friend (from New Jersey)
that i had just seen this great movie, and his response was "With whom?" When i told him
that i went by myself, he had this overwhelmed look on his face like WTF? I had since then
asked other people from the Northeast about that concept, and most kind of shared the
same sentiment. You went to the movies with friends, family, or a date. I would often see
movies at the last minute when i had free time, so making plans with others wasn't always
an option.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

OA260

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:24 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 9):
have been several times in foreign places, particularly in Cairo. I found it far easier abroad.

Do they have those kind of cinemas in Cairo ?  Wink

Quoting EICVD (Reply 8):
Im not really a film person to be honest so only usually go with a female friend.

And I bet your always in the front row ? LOL.....

Pe@rson

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:32 pm

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 12):
Do they have those kind of cinemas in Cairo ?

Just like they do in Greece.  duck 
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

acho

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:46 pm

I personally have never been to the movies myself, I like to go there on dates or with friends, however I also go with my parents sometimes. I haven't been to the movies in a while, but I might go today with some friends.

I couldn't go to a movie by myself here where I live because of how going to the movies is a social thing, and I always run into people I know. Currently being 20 years old I feel awkward going with my parents because I might run into a friend who is on a date, or something like that.

However I would be totally comfortable going by myself in another part of the world, say London, New York, etc. It's to much of a socialite thing in Mexico to go the movies; in the newspapers I have seen photographs of people going to the movies in the social section, it would be awkward to go by yourself.

BAViscount

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:48 pm

I've never really thought of going to the cinema as a particularly sociable thing to do, unless you go for a meal/drink before or after. So whilst I've never actually been to the cinema on my own, I wouldn't have a problem with doing so. Once the lights go down and the film starts, I pretty much forget who I'm there with anyway. It's not like I'd be planning on chatting with them throughout the film, otherwise I'd be doing exactly what I would normally be flicking Maltesers at other people for doing!  Wink

So, to answer the question, I would go to see a movie by myself...I just never have!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

OA260

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:49 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 13):
Just like they do in Greece.   

Yep and very proud of them too ... Big grin

MSNfan

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:55 pm

Working in a cinema box office a fair amount of time this summer, I can say that (at least in Wisconsin) it is fairly common for people to go to movies alone. I occasionally have gone to a movie before/after my shift alone (a couple of times in most of my actual uniform) and it doesn't bother me. Unless they have other ideas, all people do is sit and get into the movie anyway. I would definitely agree it is much more enjoyable to go with others though.
Dentistry: Because everyone smiles in the same language!

eicvd

Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:07 pm

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 12):
And I bet your always in the front row ? LOL.....

Oh yes always  Wink
COYBIB

DLPMMM

Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:13 pm

I don't go to the movie theatre anymore. If I did, then I wouldn't have anything to do on all the longhaul flights.

joffie

Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:17 pm

I have gone to the movies alone before, see no problems with it considering you dont really talk during the movie anyway to anyone!!!

Also saves the hassle of having to argue what you want to see ect!!

MCOflyer

Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:18 pm

I go to them by myself all the time. I could care less about others, its about the fun I have. Yes, I have gotten staring looks but who cares.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

IHadAPheo

Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:24 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 21):
its about the fun I have. Yes, I have gotten staring looks but who cares.

Oh my,

Zippy faints
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

JoshSixtySeven

Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:28 pm

I can't really stand going to the movies when I'm dragged along by someone, so I couldn't really imagine going by myself.

I suppose if there's something I really want to see, it might be better to go alone.
Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that gets you...

A340600

Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:31 pm

I used to think I wouldn't do a lot of things alone, until I started my current job where I quite often have to do this as the rest of my colleagues have done everything already. I went to the US Open this week alone and really enjoyed myself, i've also been to the weekend market in Bangkok on my own and lots of things people think about doing together. It's surprising how many people actually do this, and i'm quite comfortable with it now, though I still really enjoy going with other people when they're up for it.
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

jm017

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:51 am

I used to go the movies by myself all the time, especially when I was in the Philly area. Marple Crossroads was just up the road from me, so if a movie I wanted to see was playing, I'd jump in the car and drive up the road to the theater. It wasn't a big deal to me. Then I started going to the movies with a co-worker (she and I worked in the same lab at Penn). One thing led to another and, before you knew it, we started dating. Let me tell you, I was MUCH HAPPIER going to the movies alone......
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

Springbok747

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:08 am

The last ten or so movies I have seen, I have seen them alone. I ask my mates if they're up for it, but most of the time they'll be busy with their own things, and I don't like arguing with them..so I end up going alone. But I don't really care, I've gone alone to the F1 grand prix twice, and thoroughly enjoyed myself, been alone to several museums, tourist places etc.
אני תומך בישראל

seb146

Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:22 am

I am not a movie person. When I do go, I want to go alone. I don't have to listen to the person that goes with me to be talking through the whole thing. I don't eat popcorn or drink soda, so I don't have to put up with that, either. I am going to watch a movie not eat.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

fraspotter

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:02 am

As of lately I usually go by myself to the theaters to see a movie because if i waited for my roommates and other friends to decide to go, i would never get to go. It also works out well because if I liked the movie and they didn't, than i wouldn't have to listen to their constant bitching on the way home...  Smile
"Drunk drivers run stop signs. Stoners wait for them to turn green."

DukeofDashes

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:30 am

There are advantages and disadvantages to it.

The pros include flexibility, ability to sneak in and out, only have yourself to answer to, can see the movie you want to see, and once the lights go out, no one will notice if you are alone or not.

The big negative is the ability to soak it in. By that I mean when I've gone to the movies with friends or family, it's always nice to have a discussion about it on the way out of the theater, share opinions, help each other out if there was an element to the movie one of you might have missed or didn't understand. That really helps me towards the whole concept of film appreciation.

Usually when I go to the movies alone, I'll double dip, since it's much easier to do by yourself, and as long as you buy something from the concession stands (where they make their money anyways), no one will seem to care that you're doing it.
"I always keep a bottle of whiskey handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy!" - W.C. Fields

BCAL

Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:18 am

To be honest I much prefer going to the cinema by myself for any one or more of the following reasons
  • I can then see the films that I want to see, rather than those my companions wish to see

• I can decide which performance to attend (my preference is to go in the afternoon when cinemas are generally less busy)

• If the film turns out to be tediously boring, at least when you are on your own you can get up and leave whenever you like. Equally if you are enjoying the film but your companions are not, you do not have to leave with them.

• People going to the cinema together often like to add their own dialogue to the film's soundtrack, which I find very distracting. Sometimes their dialogue has absolutely nothing to do with the film.

• I hate people eating nosily in the cinema. One of my friends often buys tortilla crisps and when eating these he makes as much noise as if though he was munching through roof tiles. Another friend always buys a hot dog and pop corn – the hot dog smells unpleasant and he is forever asking you or passing you his pop corn during the movie.
Whenever I go to the cinema on my own, I arrive early to find a good seat usually in the front rows where there are fewer people. I also find that at the front you are less likely to be distracted by mobile phones constantly lighting up, as other people check their phones for messages or to send a text during the film. The light from a mobile phone in a darkened room competes with the screen to be the brightest object in the cinema. At my last visit to my local Odeon (the Chav's Preferred Cinema Chain), at one stage the darkened auditorium looked like Piccadilly Circus at night with all those patrons' mobiles lit up.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

signol

Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:55 pm

I've only ever gone once by myself. I wouldn't normally, but on that occasion I went to see a film that my ex of the time was also going to see at the same time, in a different country...
It was Titanic and I felt like an idiot  Wink

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

HAWK21M

Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:02 pm

I've done that often....In fact once watched Five different movies in Three movie halls just for the sake of it in 24hrs.but got bored by the 3rd movie  Smile

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

STT757

Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:33 pm

I used to go to the movies by myself when I was in College, I would go to the 12PM matinee and then go to class afterwards. 12Pm matinees have a lot of people by themselves, mostly older retired folks.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

EISHN
Topic Author

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:14 pm

Wow guys, thanks for the responses. It's interesting to see how each person differs. My brother for instance would never go by himself, and thinks it queer of me for going by myself. My father on the other hand went all the time over the years. I'm considering going to the cinema this weekend, by myself...  Smile

HAWK21M

Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:29 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 34):
My brother for instance would never go by himself, and thinks it queer of me for going by myself. My father on the other hand went all the time over the years. I'm considering going to the cinema this weekend, by myself...

I look at it this way.....Why depend on someone else....If you want to do soething & get no company....Would you change your plan & indirectly be doing things only if people want you too.So I'd say Both options are good,If the company is there ...Great....If not still ..Great  Smile

regds
MEL

sw733

Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:45 am

I've done it. I travel an awful lot for work and sometimes I just want to watch a movie. In fact, I am counting down for the new 007 movie knowing that I will be in Ontario, California that Friday it comes out, and I'm thinking I'll swing by the movie theater to see it...by myself...because I am so anxious to see it.

allrite

Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:28 am

I've been to the cinema quite a few times by myself, even after getting married (a relevant fact with what I'm about to write...  Smile )

A couple of trips in particular are worthy of recount in an aviation forum. I've grown up with the Star Wars movies. The first movie I ever saw at the cinema was The Empire Strikes Back. Though I now live in Sydney I was born in Melbourne and always connected the Star Wars movies with that city.

I saw the first three Star Wars movies in Melbourne cinemas before we moved away. I missed watching Phantom Menace there, saw it in Sydney. Thanks to the Star Wars movies I fell in love with the music of John Williams and, when I saw that the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra was playing music from Jurassic Park and Williams' Tuba Concerto I flew down to Melbourne for the night of the concert. The next day I watched Attack of the Clones at the Highpoint West cinema before flying back to Sydney. I believe that it was the last session to be screened in Melbourne and not only was I watching it alone, but there were only a couple of others in the cinema at the time.

I resolved to watch Revenge of the Sith in Melbourne as well. As the end of season approached I knew I had to move fast. Picking the cheapest tickets I could find I flew down to the city on a Qantas 747 ex-Frankfurt, watched the movie, then flew back on a Jetstar flight from Avalon. Again I watched it alone with only a couple of others in the cinema (midday Tuesday screening).

The things we do for nostalgia! But it was appropriate in a way. The cinema, in the middle of the Melbourne CBD, was old and shortly scheduled for demolition soon afterwards, but it was probably the same cinema where I watched my first movie (TESB) all those years ago.
I like artificial banana essence!

USAIRWAYS321

Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:12 am

I've never done it, and I think it's a little weird when I see someone sitting alone in the theater. My girlfriend used to have a job that involved traveling alone and nights to herself, so she used to do it frequently. She prefers seeing especially emotional movies alone; she feels she can more easily get attached/involved/emotional when it's just her.

PHLBOS

Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:43 pm

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 11):
I had told a friend (from New Jersey)
that i had just seen this great movie, and his response was "With whom?" When i told him
that i went by myself, he had this overwhelmed look on his face like WTF? I had since then
asked other people from the Northeast about that concept, and most kind of shared the
same sentiment. You went to the movies with friends, family, or a date. I would often see
movies at the last minute when i had free time, so making plans with others wasn't always
an option.

I grew up in the Northeast my entire life and I NEVER heard of any 'stigmas' about going to the movies alone. Typically, I would go to movies alone for the same reasons as you stated above in addition to my wanting to see a particular movie but none of my friends and/or family wanted to.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Superfly

Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:03 pm

Nothing wrong with it at all.
I've never done it because their hasn't been any movie to come out in my adult life that I've been excited enough to go see that no one else was interested in. Just about ever movie I have seen at the theaters over the past 15 years, I've been dragged too kicking and screaming. It's always a girlfriend that wants me to take her to see a movie.
I much rather wait until it's available on video to rent or buy.
It cost like $11 per person to see a movie now. Don't even think about buying snacks!

Movie theaters are a good experience if you're in to modern sci-fi flicks. I personally can't stand new sci-fi movies with all their lame CGI and gratuitous use of sound effects. Those kind of films put me to sleep.
Bring back the Concorde

Rara

Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:34 pm

I see movies myself during film festivals. I wouldn't really go alone for a "popcorn movie", that seems more of a social thing to do.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

HAWK21M

Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:56 am

Nowadays I get fedup watching anything more than 45 minutes  Smile
regds
MEL

glid4500

Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:26 am

Ive done that many times too. In fact, I went to go see Lakeview Terrace friday night.
http://www.facebook.com/ea90744

miamix707

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:59 am

It's also very ok to decline an offer to see a stupid movie / or one you know you won't like / one for which you read the reviews and they were crap (unless they're willing to pay the $9 dollars for you to see it)

Last month I politely declined to see one of those, The Mummy Tomb of the dragon emperor

I've gone to the movies by myself once, to the cheap theater and treated myself to a $1 dollar movie that wasn't showing in the main theaters anymore (you shouldn't be afraid to say you went there, or invite someone to the cheap cinema if your city has them). Usually you have a very valid excuse too, it's the last place they're showing it.

Here's the thing. It's almost as fun as going to the movies by oneself (unless going with a big group or with your special someone who wants to see, say a romantic movie with you). If it's a friend / someone you're not romantically interested in you can't touch the person or kiss or anything, and even have to worry about taking the armrest away.

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 21):
its about the fun I have. Yes, I have gotten staring looks but who cares.

now that's funny, yet creepy...

[Edited 2008-09-22 23:01:01]