jfktowerfan
Crew

Large Hadron Collider = End Of The World?

Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:45 pm

Anyone wanna take bets on what happens when they fire this thing up?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,419404,00.html
http://www.lhc.ac.uk/

Corey
C'mon Man

radarbeam

RE: Large Hadron Collider = End Of The World?

Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:49 pm

This will be filled in the same drawer as the Y2K bug... Nothing will happen.

AAORY

Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:52 pm

Quoting JFKTOWERFAN (Thread starter):
Anyone wanna take bets on what happens when they fire this thing up?

Will the world come to an end? No.

Will people from the future come for a visit? No.

Will our basic knowledge of particle physics advance? Yes.

Will we finally see a Higg's boson? Hopefully.

Will string theory be confirmed? No.

Just my opinions.
36 countries visited and counting...

TUNisia

Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:54 pm

The beam will go completely around on 9/10, but an actual collision (what people are worried about) will not take place until 10/21.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

MD11Engineer

Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:55 pm

Much more powerfull nuclear particles reactions happen every day in our upper atmosphere, when cosmic radiation hits the gas molecules. I think many protests come from other scientists, who see experimental particles research as a waste of money and would like to have this money rather used to fund their own research pet projects.

But I think from a technological and financial point of view, this accelerator will probably the biggest and last one.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

jfktowerfan
Crew

Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:57 pm

Quoting Radarbeam (Reply 1):
Nothing will happen.

I don't think so either, but I like the Russians view that it will make 1.21 gigawatts and Christopher Lloyd and the Delorean will show up in Switzerland.

Corey
C'mon Man

planesarecool

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:01 pm

Quoting AAORY (Reply 2):

Has $4.4billion been wasted on such a pointless project? Yes.

It does beg the question though, even if the chance of something going wrong is microscopic, is it really worth it? As comedian Frankie Boyle said on Mock the Week last week, "If my kid said to me 'can I get a trainset in the loft,' I would say 'ok'. if he said 'could I get a trainset that might end the universe, I would say 'what about a bike?'"

TUNisia

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:03 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 4):
But I think from a technological and financial point of view, this accelerator will probably the biggest and last one.

No, there is a possible 18 mile long linear collider planned for the USA.

What I want to know is who profits (financially) the most from the LHC should it be a success?

TUNisia

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:10 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 7):
It does beg the question though, even if the chance of something going wrong is microscopic, is it really worth it?

I read an article where one of the head scientists there even admitted he doesn't know what will happen, but that's it's worth taking the chance. Granted, it probably is, but who gives them the right to dictate the outcome of the lives of the rest of the world?

I'm honestly not worried about this, and I hope it is a success.

Beaucaire

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:17 pm

The CERN collider did cost an estimated 3 billion € -or the cost of five days war in Irak..
Nobody today can seriously tell if it's wasted money or not,but I personally would prefer spending tax-money into basic research like CERN than in fighting wars without tangible results..
Rather than building bridges into nowhere..  Wink
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

AAORY

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:18 pm

I respectfully disagree. Pure science for the sake of advancing our knowledge has potential for huge benefits. Where will it lead? I don't know, but deciding to stay constant in our scientific knowledge is not a good strategy to me.

It does beg the question though, even if the chance of something going wrong is microscopic, is it really worth it? As comedian Frankie Boyle said on Mock the Week last week, "If my kid said to me 'can I get a trainset in the loft,' I would say 'ok'. if he said 'could I get a trainset that might end the universe, I would say 'what about a bike?'"

So we should take scientifc advice from a comedian? Amazing logic.

There's a microscopic chance (probably a lot higher than the chances we'll spawn a planet eating black hole) you'll die every time you get on an airplane, but given your ID name, I'm assuming that you still fly. Don't be such a Luddite.

mdsh00

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:21 pm

Quoting AAORY (Reply 2):

Pardon the fact that I'm not a theoretical Physicist but I understand this thing is like a Holy Grail. What's so great about it?
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

JBirdAV8r

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:32 pm

Lame Joke of the Day:

Do my bosons give you a hadron?

duck 
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

AAORY

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:36 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 11):
Pardon the fact that I'm not a theoretical Physicist but I understand this thing is like a Holy Grail. What's so great about it?

I'm not a physicist either, just an engineer who's taken a lot of physics classes plus an avid reader. Rather than screw it up, I will just post links to a few sites that do a far better job of explaining it than I ever could:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/forces/higgs.html

http://www.jlab.org/~cecire/higgs.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

moo

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Quoting AAORY (Reply 2):

String theory is unlikely to ever be confirmed or refuted simply because of its nature.

Yeah, because physics has absolutely zero impact in our lives today  Yeah sure

Quoting Mdsh00 (Reply 11):
What's so great about it (Higgs Boson)?

The Higgs Boson is the missing link in a number of different theories - the discovery of it has the potential to confirm a lot of ideas.

GDB

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:54 pm

Amazing, just imagine if Thomas Edison's theoretical work, which many questioned at the time, had stopped because of a mix of apathy, ignorance and lack of an obvious application then.
We live, are reliant on, a mass of technologies and knowledge, built up over 1000's of years, much of which started out as a 'waste of money'
Yet so many are utterly ignorant of this, have an inbuilt fear of.....something, are swayed by cranks.

Funny as he is, I'd rather trust the knowledge of this man than Frankie Boyle;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7598000/7598686.stm

When the first railways began, many people were concerned that if these trains went about 30 m.p.h. the pax would suffocate.

Some feared than testing the first A-Bomb would 'set the atmosphere on fire'.

Going into space could well have been lethal, how could the vital organs work in zero G?

This project could well turn out to be as important as any in history, but maybe not obviously within a 24 hr rolling news cycle.

Pyrex

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:03 pm

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...scientists_ask_congress_to_fund_50

Quoting AAORY (Reply 10):
There's a microscopic chance (probably a lot higher than the chances we'll spawn a planet eating black hole) you'll die every time you get on an airplane, but given your ID name, I'm assuming that you still fly.

I guess the point here is that, despite the higher odds of a plane crash, the chances that, by boarding that plane, the entire population of the world will be wiped out are zero.

The evolution of science has always passed through blowing s*it up. If that s*it happens to be the whole of mankind then I guess that is a risk we have to take.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

AircraftGeek

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:07 pm

Quoting AAORY (Reply 2):

In the worst situation the Earth will transform into a big black hole swallowing everything, including 2/3 of the population that is currently fighting against starvation and 1/3 of the population that is fighting against obesity and couldn't care less about the remaining 2/3. Big deal? Not so sure.

[Edited 2008-09-09 11:09:24]
Nothing is fool-proof given a sufficiently skilled fool

GDB

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Well those who actually have a lot of knowledge about this subject, do NOT think there is any danger.
But the odd publicity seeking, unqualified crank does?

Here's the deal, if you are so anti science, live without it.
That's medicines, electricity, means of travel faster than a horse. The whole lot.
Any takers?

Rara

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:19 pm

Everyone who claims this thing will end the universe is a certifiable idiot. Not because it won't - who am I to know, it might be very dangerous after all. But because this is an argument you cannot win. If it does end the universe, then you don't win much because you aren't alive anymore. If it doesn't, you look like a fool.

The only safe prediction in this is that nothing will happen; because that's the only argument that can logically be proven and upheld in the end.

Nothing will happen!  Smile
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

lowrider

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:34 pm

If it does end the universe or even the world, none of us will be around to care, so let er rip. If not and Stephen Hawking is right, we might learn something interesting or useful.
Proud OOTSK member

oly720man

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 12):
Do my bosons give you a hadron?

No, but with the kids at home I often get lepton.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

ER757

Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:11 pm

Quoting AAORY (Reply 2):

checkmark 

Quoting AAORY (Reply 2):

checkmark 

Quoting AAORY (Reply 2):

Answer to the first relies somewhat on the answer to the 2nd I would think. I know there's more to the whole thing than finding Higg's, but that's the main event, isn't it? So if they don't find it, will it be consensus among physicists that it does not exist, or that they just need to look a different way?

David L

Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:14 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 14):
Yeah, because physics has absolutely zero impact in our lives today  sarcastic 

checkmark 

Quoting GDB (Reply 15):
Amazing, just imagine if Thomas Edison's theoretical work, which many questioned at the time, had stopped because of a mix of apathy, ignorance and lack of an obvious application then.

checkmark 

Quoting GDB (Reply 18):
Well those who actually have a lot of knowledge about this subject, do NOT think there is any danger.
But the odd publicity seeking, unqualified crank does?

checkmark 

Yet again, a sizeable proportion of the public fall for the haverings of the ill-informed media. Haven't we learned that they always take the worst case scenario, twist the truth a bit and make it seem far scarier than you thought possible?

Dearie, dearie me.  biggrin 

planesarecool

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Quoting AAORY (Reply 10):
So we should take scientifc advice from a comedian? Amazing logic.

I was trying to inject a little humour in the thread. I apologise if you don't do humour.

Quoting Moo (Reply 14):
Yeah, because physics has absolutely zero impact in our lives today

The idea of the experiment (according to BBC News) is to find out how the Universe was formed. Quite frankly, I don't care how the Universe was formed, and I'm sure many others don't either.

AGM100

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:36 pm

Cool stuff and one amazing engineering project . I hope that the scientist learn something from all of the hard work that went into it.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

moo

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:43 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 24):
The idea of the experiment (according to BBC News) is to find out how the Universe was formed. Quite frankly, I don't care how the Universe was formed, and I'm sure many others don't either.

Good for you, but so what? You think the *only* thing to come out of this series of experiments will be for a bunch of scientists to go 'ahhhh! So *thats* how it happened. Right, pub everyone? Last one out turn the damn thing off.'

What happens in CERN with this (and all over the world with other collider experiments) will certainly affect what you buy in 5, 10, 20 years time.

Blackbird

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:04 pm

Never mind what I originally wrote,

The first collision doesn't happen until October 21...

Blackbird

[Edited 2008-09-09 14:11:23]

Arsenal@LHR

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:22 pm

Quoting AAORY (Reply 2):

Maybe if planet earth was swallowed up by a monster black hole wouldn't be a bad thing, i mean, just look around the world, do you see good news? I'm no scientist but the "dangers" of this experiment sounds like science fiction, which probably means it won't happen.

Quoting GDB (Reply 18):
Here's the deal, if you are so anti science, live without it.
That's medicines, electricity, means of travel faster than a horse. The whole lot.
Any takers?

You nailed it.
I hear a defeaning silence.
In Arsene we trust!!

DfwRevolution

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:31 pm

Quoting AircraftGeek (Reply 17):
In the worst situation the Earth will transform into a big black hole swallowing everything, including 2/3 of the population that is currently fighting against starvation and 1/3 of the population that is fighting against obesity and couldn't care less about the remaining 2/3. Big deal? Not so sure.

Maybe it will just swallow Europe  crossfingers 

greggarious

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:43 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 29):
Maybe it will just swallow Europe   

Noooooo! They're starting to love us again!!!

Klaus

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:44 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 24):

Actually, the bigger and more interesting question is how the universe works today. And gravity has so far been quite recalcitrant about getting integrated into a consistent model of the world. Getting a firmer grip on the way gravity interacts with the rest of the physical structures we know is basically the holy grail of physics at this time, and CERN is about to start another attempt to solve this problem.

We can't know much about potential concrete applications of any findings yet, but as with other basic research they can be extremely far-reaching.

AAORY

Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:54 pm

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 28):
Maybe if planet earth was swallowed up by a monster black hole wouldn't be a bad thing, i mean, just look around the world, do you see good news?

I see good news and hope every day when I see my wife and kids when I get home from work. I tend to be an optimist and think that over time conditions improve. Will everything ever be perfect for everyone on earth? Not a chance. But I believe that the world will be a better place in 100 years than it is now.

I also see good news when I read about scientists like these good folks at CERN trying to make fundamental discoveries about the nature of the universe. I hope that we make a huge leap forward in our knowledge when this gets cranked up.

Sasha

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:51 am

I think that in today's world the least we need is to spend zillions of money and scientific resources on dicsovering how Universe was concieved. How about doing smth more appropriate for the world like introducing at last a viable alternative fuel... ?
An2/24/28,Yak42,Tu154/134,IL18/62/96,B737/757/767,A310/320/319,F100,BAe146,EMB-145,CRJ,A340-600,B747-400,A-330-300,A-340

Fly2HMO

Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 am

Time for some demotivation:

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/f/f7/Pothole_divided_by_zero.jpg

lowrider

Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:31 am

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 30):

Don't know what gave you that delusion. They haven't liked us for a while and may not for another generation or two.
Proud OOTSK member

allrite

Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:01 am

The LHC, like so many other science instruments, pushes the boundaries of engineering as well as science. Science instruments often demand precision engineering unheard of in commercial industry. Off the top of my head, the only area that comes close is microchip technology and even there you will find strong connections between basic research and commercial products.

Then there are the data processing requirements, etc, etc.

The place I work will be part of the next generation giant telescope. There are huge issues of antenna design, data transfer and processing and even how the system will be powered. I can promise you that the solutions to these issues will find their way into general usage in future (even if only through the human transfer of knowledge and skills).
I like artificial banana essence!

Blackbird

Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:07 am

What's the Next-Generation Giant-Telescope?

Blackbird

Klaus

Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:07 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 35):
Quoting Greggarious (Reply 30):

Don't know what gave you that delusion. They haven't liked us for a while and may not for another generation or two.

8 years, about to end again. And only if your "us" meant the Bush administration and its hangers-on specifically.

Don't take all americans hostage for the rabid anti-scientific and aggressively reactionary policies of the current government, causing the inevitable response from abroad and at home.

The point with science is that it looks at the world and tries to re-adjust the theories to factual observations (as in the experiment we're talking about here), it does not make religious claims and then tries to force a resisting reality to conform to those claims.

Which is why science and fact-based reasoning tend to be respected over here: They actually work!

ltbewr

Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:11 am

Perhaps this Collider will lead to a key descovery to safer, non-nuclear fission energy, in a generation or less. That could be work all the billions put into it.

comorin

Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:35 am

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 6):

No, there is a possible 18 mile long linear collider planned for the USA.

What I want to know is who profits (financially) the most from the LHC should it be a success?

The Linear Collider is being shelved while our scientists learn how to field-dress moose...

As for the profit angle, if CERN didn't make buck from inventing the World Wide Web, I am not sure that there is any potential here for a spin-off, despite a hit video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6aU-wFSqt0

Francoflier

Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:20 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 40):
despite a hit video on YouTube:

rotfl 

Geek rap... priceless.
Check out the bling Fiat seicento!
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Starlionblue

Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:36 am

Quoting Radarbeam (Reply 1):
This will be filled in the same drawer as the Y2K bug... Nothing will happen.

Not quite the same. The Y2K bug was quite real. However due to billions of dollars of investment in fixes, there were no big issues.

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 8):
I read an article where one of the head scientists there even admitted he doesn't know what will happen, but that's it's worth taking the chance. Granted, it probably is, but who gives them the right to dictate the outcome of the lives of the rest of the world?

"Doesn't know" doesn't mean "anything will happen" in this context. It's like crashing two cars into each other. You won't know exactly what will happen but you are able to make a few assumptions.

Also, what about all the guys who control nuclear weapons? Those are a REAL threat. What gives them the right?

Quoting GDB (Reply 15):

Indeed. I believe Edison made dozens of light bulb prototypes that didn't work. All pointless then?

Quoting GDB (Reply 15):
When the first railways began, many people were concerned that if these trains went about 30 m.p.h. the pax would suffocate.

Some feared than testing the first A-Bomb would 'set the atmosphere on fire'.

Going into space could well have been lethal, how could the vital organs work in zero G?

This is so true. The railroad one is a favorite. There was also the one when the first underground (subway) was built in London. Many thought that the passengers would go mad from the noise and claustrophobia.

[Edited 2008-09-09 21:37:36]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

WunalaYann

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:00 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 29):
Maybe it will just swallow Europe

Eh, I'm sure a lot of people who currently don't have the pleasure of getting, ahem, swallowed, will jump at the opportunity...  silly 

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 39):
Perhaps this Collider will lead to a key descovery to safer, non-nuclear fission energy, in a generation or less. That could be work all the billions put into it.

Indeed, it would be cool...

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 42):
Indeed. I believe Edison made dozens of light bulb prototypes that didn't work. All pointless then?

I think the whole debate centres on the ratio of pure science vs applied research. The former ventures into uncharted territory with no real idea of what is there, the latter focuses on improving, sometimes revolutionising current technologies, knowledge and processes.

Universities, corporations and governments the world over have been grappling with the subtle happy medium to be found between pouring money into "bottomless pits" (aka pure research), and "getting stuck in 1990" (aka applied research).

Somehow we do manage to forge ahead...

Smile

greggarious

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:12 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 35):

It's a joke, my main man!  Wink (Just like the premise of this thread!)

Quoting Klaus (Reply 37):
Don't take all americans hostage for the rabid anti-scientific and aggressively reactionary policies of the current government, causing the inevitable response from abroad and at home.

Absolutely! But that means that things like this:

Quoting Klaus (Reply 37):
Which is why science and fact-based reasoning tend to be respected over here: They actually work!

... make me wonder if you're taking us hostage by implying that the American public as a whole is disregarding science!  mischievous 

In any case, this LHC end-of-the-world stuff is ridiculous. I mean, we all know that the lights go out when the Mayan calendar ends in December 2011 or whatever!

Boeing744

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:32 am

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 44):
In any case, this LHC end-of-the-world stuff is ridiculous. I mean, we all know that the lights go out when the Mayan calendar ends in December 2011 or whatever!

As they did for Y2K and for 06/06/06...  Yeah sure

We have all already lived through numerous "end of the world" days. It's not going to happen...

DocLightning

Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:46 am

It does beg the question though, even if the chance of something going wrong is microscopic, is it really worth it?

Your car could spontaneously combust into a vast nuclear fireball. The chance is microscopic, but it is not zero.

That said, the chance of that happening is probably orders of magnitude higher than the chance that the LHC will end the world.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

MadameConcorde

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:26 am

Livecast from the CERN website:

http://webcast.cern.ch/index.html

CERN logo is 666  Embarrassment  Confused
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

baroque

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:36 am

Depends a bit on what they find. As TUNisia writes, another one on its way. And if by any chance this one lights the way to better knowledge of particle physics, who knows.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 46):
Your car could spontaneously combust into a vast nuclear fireball. The chance is microscopic, but it is not zero.

That said, the chance of that happening is probably orders of magnitude higher than the chance that the LHC will end the world.

Good analogy. Wonder what this lot would have said if asked before the Trinity test. There were some physicists at the time who were a tad worried and with existing knowledge levels perhaps more justified.

But not to worry nuclear bombs are perfectly safe!!  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!

MadameConcorde

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:46 am

Remember where this is occuring FOLKS. Neutral CORRUPT Switzerland, where elite criminals hide their wealth. Do you think they would really risk destroying that particular country?  laughing 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde