redflyer

Fire In The Channel Tunnel

Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:44 pm

Quote:
LONDON, England (CNN) -- A fire broke out on a freight train Thursday as it traveled in the tunnel under the English Channel, Eurotunnel officials said.
The Channel Tunnel has freight and passengers trains running through it.

No passenger trains were going through the tunnel at the time of the fire, they said. It is unclear if the fire has been contained.

People inside the Chunnel were evacuated through a service tunnel that runs between the two train-carrying tunnels, the officials said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/09/11/tunnel.fire/index.html

I believe this is the second fire in the tunnel's history. I hope it is not shut down for very long.
My other home is a Piper Cherokee 180C

BMIFlyer

Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:46 pm

Confirmed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7610919.stm

A chemical truck which I assumed were banned in the Channel Tunnel.
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

nighthawk

Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:52 pm

ITV news reports the fire is still burning, but is "under control"

Beaucaire

Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:58 pm

Tonite there is absolute chaos at Paris Gare du Nord station..
Hundreds of angry clients want to return to London,but the situation is still very unclear-it seems the incident is still not fixed.
The french interior minister went to Calais this eveneing inspecting the efforts to restore traffic. Since the incident happened in the tunnel under the channel,the responsible operator is Eurotunnel and not SNCF or British Rail-which complicates things.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

moo

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:02 pm

I'm so glad I chose to fly tomorrow rather than take the tunnel - hopefully LCY won't be too bad because of this!

Beaucaire

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:07 pm

Le Figaro site reporting the incident is still not fixed..
That means the lorry (loaded with dangerous chemicals ) is burning since some hours in a tunnel- one can immagine the difficulties to get to the incident..

1stfl94

Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:14 pm

According to Channel 4 News the Tunnel will be closed until at least tomorrow morning. Firefighters are currently investigating and there may have been a small explosion in the tunnel.

Beaucaire

Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:54 am

As of news this morning the fire is still raging- several waggons have cought fire and the temperatures have reached 1000 degrees celsius..
reason for the incident was a truck loaded with highly toxic and inflamable chemicals ;the truck for un unknown reason ,slipped on the waggon and cought fire.
It is expected that the tunnel will remain closed for some days....

DukeofDashes

Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:43 am

Damn, I was planning on going to London this weekend, and then taking a train out on Tuesday. I hope order is restored before then.
"I always keep a bottle of whiskey handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy!" - W.C. Fields

davehammer

Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:58 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 7):
highly toxic and inflamable chemicals

I'm surprised after the last fire that anything like that would be allowed through the tunnel. I hope they get it under control ASAP.

Edit. BBC website says that the fire is out but that there still remains a number of English and French firefighters in there. Also the plan seems to be to reintroduce a very limited service through the Southbound tunnel as soon as possible. Looks like the P&O, Seafrance and Norfolk Line are going to see a lot of car traffic and the airlines a fair bit of business traffic in the coming days.

[Edited 2008-09-12 03:07:16]

MD11Engineer

Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:20 am

Quoting Davehammer (Reply 9):
Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 7):
highly toxic and inflamable chemicals

I'm surprised after the last fire that anything like that would be allowed through the tunnel. I hope they get it under control ASAP.

If this stuff was already banned, the truck operator probably lied to them about the nature of his cargo. How can you prevent this without having to hire a chemist and to set up an analytical lab at each railhead?
The rail company, same as airlines, have to rely on what the customer tells them.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

davehammer

Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:26 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 10):
If this stuff was already banned, the truck operator probably lied to them about the nature of his cargo. How can you prevent this without having to hire a chemist and to set up an analytical lab at each railhead?
The rail company, same as airlines, have to rely on what the customer tells them.

True. Guess I was being a bit naive there. If so I hope they throw the book at them.

ltbewr

Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:19 am

The cargo may have been legal under certain conditions to be transported through he Chunnel, but there was some failure to secure the wagon/truck or it's cargo properly. I was visiting in the UK in November 1996 when they had a major incident in the Chunnel. I remember it was a major story there and significant damage occurred, then changes were made to reduce the risks of such incidents again.

Francoflier

Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:55 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Thread starter):
believe this is the second fire in the tunnel's history.

There have been more, although this is probably the second worst after the 1996 fire.

There have been a total of 7 fire related incidents/accidents, according to the press, although I can't find a link.

The main 3 were the 1996 fire, this one and another one that occured in 2006 in which another truck caught fire on a train, producing no significant damage.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

rsg85

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:33 pm

The ferry operators will by rubbing thiewr hands together, im supposed to be taking the ferry on thursday, hope theres no delays due to increased traffic. last ferry trip we sat in the channel for 3 hours due to strikes on the docks in calais, all we could do was sit, wait and drink.

Stealthz

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:45 pm

Contributors to this site have long been critical of the mainstream media regarding their knowledge of aviation.
Well it isn't just aviation, one of the major TV networks here in Sydney stated on it's evening news that Channel tunnel passenger services were not affected as they use separate tunnels.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!