MSYtristar
Topic Author

Good Luck Houston

Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:26 pm

From a fellow Gulf Coast a.netter who has seen his fair share of Hurricanes....best of luck to you guys in H-town with Ike on its way. Y'all showed great support to the plight of New Orleans during Katrina. As much grief I have given Houston over the years, the fact is during Hurricane season, the entire coastline is one big city....everyone is in it together and everyone
is there to help out each other.

Stay safe and take care, Houston.

slider

RE: Good Luck Houston

Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks brother! It's going to be interesting....

We dodged Rita, but I don't think we're getting out of this one.

N1120A

Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:41 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Thread starter):

Stay safe and take care, Houston.

I agree, though don't start crying about people from New Orleans if you have to ask them for help.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

fraspotter

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:28 pm

Well here in Huntsville about 45 minutes north of Houston on I-45, there have been buses and cars carrying evacuees coming into town all day. Traffic must have gone up about 8 times the norm. On my way back from class at Sam Houston State there was a huge convoy of about 15 buses in a row crawling down Sam Houston Avenue from I-45. It just seemed so surreal IMO. The news is also saying that while the Galveston/Houston/Harlingen area is expecting 120 mph winds while Huntsville/Conroe/The Woodlands is expecting 80+mph winds. Also a tornado watch is in effect for pretty much the entire region... Best of luck...
"Drunk drivers run stop signs. Stoners wait for them to turn green."

DfwRevolution

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:43 pm

I live in College Station, TX and the last forecast I checked anticipated hurricane force winds on Saturday. Last hurricane to hit us this far inland was Alicia in 1983. We'll see what happens, I'll take some pictures during/after the storm.

MaverickM11

Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:13 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 2):
though don't start crying about people from New Orleans

I think we can safely assume the last people we'll be calling for help is New Orleans, right after Myanmar Wink
E pur si muove -Galileo

MadameConcorde

Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:15 pm

Keep safe all of you in the hurricane area. Looks like this IKE is going to be a big meanie.

Material posessions can be replaced. Your life cannot. We all want you to come out of this intact.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

FlyingTexan

Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks!

JR in H-Town
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

rfields5421

Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:44 pm

They are expecting 15,000 in Dallas tonight.

fraspotter

Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:45 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 4):
I live in College Station, TX and the last forecast I checked anticipated hurricane force winds on Saturday. Last hurricane to hit us this far inland was Alicia in 1983. We'll see what happens, I'll take some pictures during/after the storm.

How many evacuees does it look like you guys are getting down your way? Huntsville is getting quite few bus loads as I wrote earlier, but what about the B/CS area? I remember during Gustav a few were sheltered there but it looks like there will be more since this storm is hitting closer to home.

MaverickM11

Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:22 pm

Anyone else sticking around? I thought about catching a flight out but I've never been through a hurricane, in spite of living in SE Florida for seven years.
E pur si muove -Galileo

RJdxer

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:10 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 2):
I agree, though don't start crying about people from New Orleans if you have to ask them for help.

We are already sorting out the gang members and other crooks we can send that way.  wink 

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 10):
I thought about catching a flight out

You better hurry.

Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel is broadcasting from Galveston. Mike Sidell is in Port Lavaca. The twin harbingers of death and destruction are never a good sign in your neighborhood. Anyone else notice Abrams is sporting a rock. She'll be pregnant before too long.

At least this time the evacuation appears to be a lot more orderly. On the way into work in downtown today the northbound lanes on I45 and then on the toll road were heavy but moving at a decent speed. During Rita they were completely stopped for hours at a time.

Gas is already in short supply at many stations. Had to fill the truck up with premium.

The 4pm update didn't do me any good. Looks like the eye could pass right over the house. Got the plywood cut and ready to put up. Generator checked out and is running fine. 50 gallons of gas set aside in cans. 4 cases of water. The pool is full as well but it is a salt pool so it would take a lot of work to make it drinkable, probably just use it in the toliets if necessary. Not going to be pretty by the coast but if the wind doesn't get too far out of hand I hope to be ok.

Funny thing is that last Saturday morning we woke up to the sound of running water in the kitchen. A hot water pipe in the ceiling had burst which wrecked several cabinets, the ceiling, and a wall. So between that and this it's been nothing but recovery mode.

This website was giving some good indications of what to expect but is probably getting buried with hits right now.

http://houstonhidefromthewind.org/

If I can get some decent pictures I will post them when able.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

MaverickM11

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:39 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 11):
Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel is broadcasting from Galveston. Mike Sidell is in Port Lavaca. The twin harbingers of death and destruction are never a good sign in your neighborhood.

TWC is drumming up the apocalypse again? What a shock Yeah sure Lemme guess...there will be a drenched and windswept newscaster live on scene telling us it's very wet and very windy.

You better hurry.

Tokyo is open Smile

Looks like the eye could pass right over the house.

Where do you live? Sounds like you're up North where you can expect "no real building damage". Same with downtown where I am....
E pur si muove -Galileo

AirframeAS

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:39 pm

Good luck to you guys at HOU and IAH. We'll be getting last of some of Ike's fury here in Colorado, maybe lots of rain.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Delta767300ER

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:46 pm

Good luck to everyone in Houston and the Texas Coast. Have they issued any mandatory evacuations for Houston or is everyone staying put? How far inland is Houston?

-Delta767300ER

RJdxer

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:07 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 13):
Tokyo is open

You'll have to stay a day or two, I'm pretty sure the returns will be cxld.

Where do you live?

Spring.

TWC is drumming up the apocalypse again?

We're getting robbed. No Julie Martin and Abrams isn't even in a t-shirt.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

jcs17

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:23 am

Good news, Houston, your Katrina evacuees are leaving. Bad news, New Orleans, they're coming back.  

Come to think of it, New Orleans refugees are like the new Palestinians. No one wants them in their place of residence and their plot is over-dramatized by the news media.

[Edited 2008-09-11 17:30:49]
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Tugger

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:50 am

I'll go out on a limb for the hell of it:
I don't think Ike will be as bad as the news is playing it up to be.

I have been watching this thing and the ocean surface temps (which determine most of a hurricanes strength) all week and the temps are going down. (I have watched hurricanes and sea temps for years, it's a strange fascination that I have)
http://www.weather.com/maps/activity...aribbeanseasurfacetemps_large.html

They started out as 85 and have gone down to 83 around Galvaston now and appear to be cooling not warming.

So I wish Houston (and Galvaston) good luck but I am predicting (hoping) that Ike will not be as bad as the pundits are calling for.

Good luck and stay safe!

Tugg

[Edited 2008-09-11 17:54:11]
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Okie

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:51 am

While this does not look like a Cat 4 it really appears to be a very large storm.

Earlier predictions were for it to go right up I-45 to Dallas then north. However, I believe they are showing it tracking farther to the east now more toward Shreveport as it moves inland.

Good luck to you all in the Houston area.

Okie

RJdxer

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:26 am

Must be the same people who do the EWR taf's working the freeway signs here in Houston. The freeway signs still say "Hurricane forming in gulf"!

DfwRevolution

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:32 am

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 8):
How many evacuees does it look like you guys are getting down your way?

I would guess ~10,000 or so. We have a huge hotel/motel capacity in BCS for a city of its size thanks to the football weekend crowd. Fortunately the Aggies have a bye-week. I believe Reed Arena will be used to house evacuees for a while.

RJdxer

Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:02 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 20):
Fortunately the Aggies have a bye-week.

All the Houston Aggie fans are busy on the Aggie hurricane escape route. The loop 610!

fraspotter

Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:11 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 10):
I thought about catching a flight out

Well by what the head of the airport authority in Houston said a few minutes ago on Houston NBC 2 news, all flights out of HOU will cease between 9 AM and 10 AM Friday morning depending on the airline (WN stops at 9 AM) while IAH will cease flights by 2 PM Friday.

MadameConcorde

Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:56 am

Where is Big Bad Ike at? Any updates?
Will Houston get all flooded? What time will it make landfall?
Those in the area, please keep safe.

ltbewr

Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:32 am

The biggest problems with Ike will be the storm surge along the coast and some inland waterways and the flooding from all the water carried by the storm over land. It appears it will hit Texas SW of Houston as a heavy Cat. 2/lower Cat. 3 and no doubt will be a hard hit there. Let us hope for the best.

rfields5421

Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:34 am

The 2 AM EDT models put the storm coming a shore near Galveston Island / Galveston Bay between 1 and 3 AM Saturday morning local time.

Winds do not appear to be growing above Category 2 strength - maybe low Category 3.

The storm is still huge though - with tropical storm force winds - above 34 kts - from New Orleans to Corpus Christi and at least 150nm inland along the main track expected to pass just east of Dallas.

Hurricane force winds - above 64 kts - expected to be from Lake Charles, LA to near Corpus.

The storm surge - basically an extremely rapid and high tide that does not reced for several hours - could be over 15 feet (3M) which could flood 15-20 miles inland.

Downtown Houston's main threat is rain. It is doubtful a storm surge could go that far. This storm is carrying a lot of water and it could dump over 12 inches of rain on Houston in a couple hours. With a storm surge raising the bay water level - heavy rains will not drain normally - which isn't much under the best circumstances in the area.

Catastrophic flooding like New Orleans - cannot happen in Houston due to the geography. Damaging flooding making hundreds or even thousands of homes unlivable - that could happen - especially in the area south of Houston and along the bay - about 40 miles of heavily populated towns and small cities.

corocks

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:04 pm

I think I am all ready. I have moved all my yard 'projectiles' into the garage ensure no lawn furniture comes crashing through my windows. We have also picked up an ample supply of hurricane drink mix from the liquor store so we are ready to go (I have never seen the liquor stores so busy!). I live on the NW side of town so I am not expecting too many issues other than a lot of wind and rain. I think they are projecting sustained winds of 65mph in this part of town around 4am.

Good luck everyone on the south side that did not evacuate!

STT757

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:11 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 24):
The biggest problems with Ike will be the storm surge along the coast and some inland waterways and the flooding from all the water carried by the storm over land.

According to the latest reports Ike is tracking right up the Houston Ship channel, it's not a CAT V storm however Ike is very large and pushing a lot of water. Pushing all that water up the Ship channel is going to cause severe damage.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

RJdxer

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:33 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 23):
Where is Big Bad Ike at? Any updates?

Track it here.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

Local TV is already showing piers in the Galveston area being destroyed by the surf action. Western Galveston Island, the area unprotected by the seawall, is already flooding and the storm surge and wind has not even started. The local officials have told everyone to get off Galveston Island or "face certain death" due to an expected 16-20 foot storm surge which will almost certainly top the sea wall. What most people don't know is that the sea wall does not extend around to the bay side of the city so "backdoor" flooding will almost certainly occur.

Will Houston get all flooded?

Nope. Anyone living near Galveston Bay and some other low lying areas near the coast though have been under an evacuation order. They are issuing them by zip codes which people seem to understand much better than "zones". The problem in Rita was that many people were confused about whether they were to leave or not and coming right on the heels of Katrina, they didn't need much urging.

What time will it make landfall?

Sometime late tonite.

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 25):
Hurricane force winds - above 64 kts - expected to be from Lake Charles, LA to near Corpus.

I'm sure that was just a typo. wink 

Quoting RFields5421 (Reply 25):
Downtown Houston's main threat is rain.

Actually it will be more from the wind at first. If you have ever seen pictures from Alicia, many of the high rise buildings got their windows blown out. Police had to close off a 20 square block section because of that. Then the rain does it's work.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 27):
Pushing all that water up the Ship channel is going to cause severe damage.

Yep, and guess where a lot of the refineries are. Better fill up today no matter where you live unless it's the east or west coast.

Just about done with the final preparation. I plan on going over to IAH later this afternoon to get some pictures of ..... nothing! That will be a second.

MadameConcorde

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:38 pm

Thanks for your update and information. I had totally forgotten about the hurricane tracking link. I have a new computer and not all of my site links in it. Big Bad Ike looks scary! I hope you will be allright. You all try to be careful while chasing for pictures.

Tugger

Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:52 pm

Some other good sites to see it on:
http://www.stormpulse.com/

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/jun...e/gulfofmexicosatellite_large.html
What's interesting is that it is so big but none of it has really come ashore yet (but I'm sure it effects are being felt).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

DfwRevolution

Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:25 pm

Looks like the storm shifted a little to the west since the last forecast I watched yesterday. Not a good thing, Galveston and the bay area are going to get whomped by the worst part of the storm.

corocks

Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:06 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 30):
What's interesting is that it is so big but none of it has really come ashore yet (but I'm sure it effects are being felt).

It is amazing. They are saying there is 3-4 ft of water on some of the streets in Galveston, but it has not even started raining yet. Going to be a big, big storm surge.

UAL747

Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:18 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 12):
We'll be getting last of some of Ike's fury here in Colorado, maybe lots of rain.

No you won't. It's expected to become a tropical depression by the time it reaches Dallas and turn back eastward going over southeastern Oklahoma and into Arkansas. You are 800-1000 miles west of us and Ike.

I'm headed to eastern Oklahoma this weekend to the lake. I think we might end up just drinking at the house, no boat. But at least it's a getaway from OKC.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Okie

Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:31 pm

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 33):
I think we might end up just drinking at the house, no boat

No Boat.....just wait for one to blow by from Houston.

Okie

Tugger

Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:48 pm

Hell, I don't think Houston is the one that needs to worry. Its Galvaston that is going to get the brunt of Ike (but I understand there isn't major airport/airline presence there so why do we care  Wink ). Check this out:
http://www.pcwp.com/rareport.html

Galveston City Hall, Galveston, TX: 6 feet AGL
Local Elev. Inundation based on Hurr Cat:
Cat 1 : 2ft AGL
Cat 2 : 3.5ft AGL
Cat 3 : 7.4 AGL
Cat 4 : 11 AGL
Cat 5 : 13.7 AGL

Good Luck Galvaston

Tugg

MadameConcorde

Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:26 pm

In Hurricane Ike, bumpy ride with bird's-eye view

By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer Fri Sep 12, 7:07 AM ET

INSIDE HURRICANE IKE - Amid the engines' roar, the Air Force Reserve pilots and navigator worked calmly as their huge plane neared the eyewall of Hurricane Ike.

The gray cloud, looming 50,000 feet into the sky like a colossal concrete barrier was four miles thick, and the Lockheed WC-130J was hurtling into it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080912/ap_on_re_us/eye_of_ike

RJdxer

Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:50 pm

Coast Guard was performing arial rescues up until about an hour ago over on Bolivar Peninsula. They've had to stop because the winds are too strong for the little helicopters they have now. They are awaiting some bigger metal to arrive from either Austin or San Antonio to complete evacuation of those who thought they still had time. People were told to get out yesterday but weather forecasters kept saying the worst wouldn't start arriving until about 2 this afternoon. By noon many of the streets in west Galveston island had already flooded. One house has burned because the fire department couldn't get to it. And 64 people had to be air lifted out of Bolivar because the gulf topped the sand dunes and flooded out or outright destroyed their vehicles. According to those survivors a number of beach front homes are already driftwood floating out in the gulf somewhere. And that area is just now starting to feel tropical storm force winds. It's going to be a long evening of destruction on Galveston Island.

rfields5421

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:07 pm

KGLS - Galveston Airport automated weather reporting is off line.

MadameConcorde

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:11 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 37):
. It's going to be a long evening of destruction on Galveston Island.

Friggin' phugly hurricane! Will it move towards Houston after it hits Galveston?
I so much wish that scientists invented some way of toning down these big bad storms. This one looks really destructive.  faint 

N867DA

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:41 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 35):
Its Galvaston that is going to get the brunt of Ike

My sister lives in Galveston about 200 feet from the Gulf. We used to just stare out into the sea on the piers. It's so sad to see the places that I had a great time get whipped by the wind and water. The footage on the Weather Channel and CNN is frightening. What's even more frightening is that there are still people in Galveston -- even on the western side of the island, which doesn't have a seawall or any significant protection against a storm.

Media are reporting even if the eye goes east of Galveston the city is going to take a while to get back on its feet. Some have said if the eye passes to the west of the island or over the island all hell will break loose. Fortunately it seems that the models are showing a slight eastward trend. If it ends up following that track it'll be time to be thankful the absolute worst case scenario was avoided.

Of course people in Beaumont will beg to differ.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

thomasphoto60

Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:27 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 39):
so much wish that scientists invented some way of toning down these big bad storms.

Actually there were attempts from the late 40s up until the early 80s to 'seed' storms with dry ice crystals in hopes to control and/or kill a Hurricane altogether. The results were mixed at best.

http://www.hurricaneville.com/project_stormfury.html

After 16 years in H-Town, this is my first storm of this size, I missed Rita (I turned tail and ran back to my Mother's place in Minneapolis), went trough a few Tropical Storms, ect...I have a big house in a heavily wooded area, I likely will see a few felled trees tomorrow once all is said an done, hopefully nothing though my home. Aside from regular updates I am avoiding all of the apocalyptic reporting on the local channels as well as the networks.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

RJdxer

Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:10 pm

Took a ride past IAH about an hour ago. Pretty quiet, not too many people about. Did see on character walking around the ticketing section of the E terminal with his roller board. Good luck catching a flight!

This is looking west from the near the base of the control tower. E and C terminals are empty.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/DrHansZarkov/hurricane%20ike/iahfri91202.jpg

This is looking at the south side of the C terminal and the E1 to E8 gates.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/DrHansZarkov/hurricane%20ike/iahfri91203.jpg

This is on the bridge overpass that leads to JFK Blvd. South side of B and A terminals are visible, everybody has scadadled. Weren't any planes at the cargo area or outside at any of the FBO's either.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f294/DrHansZarkov/hurricane%20ike/iah91203.jpg

I don't think anywhere near as many people have evacuated for this storm as did for Rita. That sitting in traffic for two days has pretty much turned everyone off from driving unless absolutely necessary. Still most of the gas stations near the freeways are out of gas.

thomasphoto60

Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Eerie photos there RJ. In my 16 years in Houston I have never seen IAH that empty.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

Okie

Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:27 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 42):
Still most of the gas stations near the freeways are out of gas

That seemed to be the problem with Rita.

I have been watching KHOU here in OKC on my "Direct TV" , They are broadcasting it on channel 361. A lot less hype and drama than CNN, FOX, Weather Channel, CNBC, adnauseum.

Okie

AirframeAS

Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:44 pm

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 33):
No you won't.

Yeah, we will. We will get the left over rain from Ike but not the winds.

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 42):

WOAH! That is a scary sight!  Wow!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

fraspotter

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:01 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 45):
WOAH! That is a scary sight!

Yeah it kinda reminds me of the airport scene from the movie "Langoleers" (sp?). Except no big monsters things coming down and eating the ground away from beneath your feet.  Smile

MadameConcorde

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:26 am

Checking on our A.netters friends in Texas... What is the situation?
Can anybody give us news? Has Big Bad Ike made landfall yet?

RJdxer

Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:47 am

Ike made landfall several hours ago right over Galveston. The eye, which is huge is passing over Galveston Bay. That was good news for the surge since it wasn't quite as high as feared. The sea wall was topped so there will be some significant flooding there. Clear Lake on the south side of town is flooding according to the TV. Up here in Spring we lost power around 3AM which corresponded with the arrival of the worst winds. My wind meter says we are seeing 50mph constant with gusts to 65mph. TV video now showing several buildings with their glass blown out and office furniture blowing out the window. I've heard several trees snap in nearby yards and our roof has made some groans but so far we are dry and the generator is powered up and doing it's thing. Be interesting to see what daylight brings in a couple of hours.

Beaucaire

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:03 am

I keep my fingers crossed for all the citizens living in the storm-zone -this one is a nasty one and will cause lot's of dammage ! My wish is that there are no more casualties !
I also have a special though for all animals-usually nobody cares too much about animals- that are affected in a very devastating way during those thunderstorms.
Much too early to say if - once landfall happens - Ike will diminish before hitting Houston area.But the pictures of Gelvestone are frightening !!! I think many of the a.net community is thinking about your fates...

[Edited 2008-09-13 03:09:57]
Please respect animals - don't eat them...