sv7887

Friday's Stupid Thread: Electric Razors

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi All,
I thought we might take a welcome break from our usual discussions and talk about something fluff like Electric Razors.

Anyone use one here? What's your preferred brand?

I used to be loyal to Panasonic Wet/Dry series before I got my hands on a Braun 360 Complete like this one:

The cleaning base is kinda annoying because the cleaning cartridges are expensive, but otherwise it's a good system. Mine is about 2 yrs old and I just replaced the cutting block and blades. It's like brand new.

andz

RE: Friday's Stupid Thread: Electric Razors

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:31 pm

I had a Braun Independent and it was crap. Give me Mach 3 anyday.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

AustrianZRH

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:32 pm

I'm a loyal Braun customer. Since three years I use a Braun Flex Integral 7xxx (haven't got the right number in my mind), before I used a 5xxx which is now at my mum's place for when I visit her over the weekend. Almost 10 years old and still working well, just needs a new cutting block and foil every 12 to 18 months.  Smile
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

wilco737

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:32 pm

Quoting Sv7887 (Thread starter):

I don't have an eletric razor. only Mach 3 Turbo Big grin

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

babybus

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:40 pm

I don't feel I've had a proper shave if I use an electric shaver.

I'm a wet shave only guy. Gillette 2.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

sv7887

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:40 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 3):

I don't have an eletric razor. only Mach 3 Turbo Big grin

I didn't even know they were up to five blades now!

That is the Gillette Fusion razor.

I would use blades but it irritates my skin like hell and causes breakouts. I find the electrics far easier on my skin.

One of my guy friends told me to get man facial but I balked at it. He loves them and I have to say his skin is great. He religiously uses this European (Environ?) brand of products that is hideously expensive but works.

I was told by one of these skin care experts that soap should not be used on the face. I wonder if that is true.

wilco737

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:45 pm

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 4):

Actually it's 6 blades. 5 on the one side and one on the other side  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

Pyrex

Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:33 pm

I use a Phillips, although I don't remember the exact model. Which reminds me, I bought a new one and it crapped out in less than a month but I have been too lazy to take it back to Circuit City (not even sure there is one of those stores here in Boston).
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

sv7887

Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:35 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 7):
I bought a new one and it crapped out in less than a month but I have been too lazy to take it back to Circuit City (not even sure there is one of those stores here in Boston).

There are quite a few in Boston. One in Burlington right near the Burlington Mall. Another is off of Rt.9 in Natick and there is one in Somerville too.

yowza

Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:40 pm

I've had a Panasonic wet/dry shaver for the last 8 years and it's been a beauty. For close shaves I used to be a Gillette M3 guy, but I recently switched to the Schick Quattro with the electric trimmer on the reverse end, it too is wicked.

YOWza

JAGflyer

Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:55 pm

I have a Philishave 7120 which I bought for when I needed to shave but had no time to shower. I probably use it once every week or two. I find it misses spots on my neck and irritates my face. The best shave is still my Gilette Fusion.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

Francoflier

Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:57 pm

Funny this thread should appear.
I'm pondering about switching to an electric razor myself.

I like my old disposable plastic thingy, but I'm getting really lazy. Is the switch to mechanization worth it?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

sv7887

Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:19 pm

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 11):

I like my old disposable plastic thingy, but I'm getting really lazy. Is the switch to mechanization worth it?

I think so. I used to use a Gillette Sensor but the Panasonic Wet/Drys are quick, useful, and very durable.

The Braun gives a better shave in my opinion because the head swivels. It also creates less of a mess especially if you are traveling all the time.

ajd1992

Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:59 pm

Disposable razors, with foam.

Electric shavers don't get rid of all the hair (at least when I do it) and it irritates my skin. Plus with a disposable one, I can get as close to my sideburns as I like without actually starting to cut the hair on my head....

Blackbird

Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:32 pm

Sv7887,

Quote:

Anyone have that MadTV clip, depicting the Mach 20 (A Satirical 20-bladed razor) razor? In the bit, it shows using a cartoony graphic how it cuts through the layers of hair, then the skin, the muscle below and eventually the bones! In the next scene the guy's all bandaged up like The Mummy! No doubt, it was the shave of your life!

Blackbird
DARPA really scares the crap out of me some of the stuff they come up with...
Stuff Like This: http://www.defensetech.org/archives/001148.html
Essentially To Fight Them Terrorists Who "Hate Us For Our Freedoms" We Gotta Hate/Violate Our Freedoms at Least as Much as the Terrorists  Wow!

[Edited 2008-09-12 09:37:12]

skidmarks

Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:37 pm

I use both wet shaver and electric. Phillips wet/dry with squirty cream and a Gillette mach3 turbo thingy. Damn expensive blades but so nice to use.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Blackbird

Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:55 pm

I may be the only female member airing in here

Generally, I use a Schick Quattro for Women, although I usually use waxing for the most part -- I have a do-it-yourself kit.

Blackbird

JBirdAV8r

Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:06 pm

I use a Philips Norelco Speed XL electric razor. It's great for trips as well as day-to-day use. I never really thought I'd take well to an electric one (I was a die-hard Mach 3 user) but it's actually not that bad.

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 16):
although I usually use waxing for the most part -- I have a do-it-yourself kit.

Ouch and double-ouch! Just thinking about that makes me wince. I'm glad I'm a guy.  Smile
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Gofly

Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:16 pm

One of my guy friends told me to get man facial but I balked at it. He loves them and I have to say his skin is great. He religiously uses this European (Environ?) brand of products that is hideously expensive but works.

Environ products are usually found in skin clinics or beauty parlours; you're completely correct in saying that they're hideously expensive and, having tried them myself, I'm not sure they're worth that amount of money. It's very nice stuff, but at a good two or three times the price of over-the-counter products, you do have to question it...

It terms of a razor, I wouldn't touch the electric ones with a 10ft A.net Mod issue bargepole... !  Wink

Gillette M3 Power is the way to go; anybody who hasn't tried a Gillette blade with the battery in it is missing out - I can't recommend them enough!

-Gofly
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

N1120A

Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:25 pm

The Fusion is great. That trimming blade comes in really handy for under the nose and at the base of the sideburns, and the 5 blades are good at getting a close shave. That said, I think the best thing about them is the newer alloys they are using in the blades, which means they last a really, really long time, which negates much of the added cost.

I find the electrics far easier on my skin.

I find just the opposite. I think it is what one gets used to, however, as a very good friend of mine who also has a tough, thick beard to shave through uses an electric and loves it. Apparently his secret is to use Williams 'lectric Shave before shaving.

Quoting Gofly (Reply 18):

Gillette M3 Power is the way to go; anybody who hasn't tried a Gillette blade with the battery in it is missing out - I can't recommend them enough!

I have no interest in the battery operated ones, as they did a study finding that any benefit is linked to a placebo effect. The real reason Gillette developed those is so they can sell more Duracell batteries.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

metroliner

Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:42 pm

I recently bought a Philips electric shaver - using Gillette Fusion Power gave me some lovely acne eveywhere below the jawline. It's starting to recede after a couple of weeks with the new one...

That said, I have a relatively tough beard which needs a fair amount of combating.  Smile
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

Pyrex

Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 8):

Thanks. I don't have a car in the area so I need to find a place where I can go by public transportation. I will look into the Somerville one.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Francoflier

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:56 am

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 12):
The Braun gives a better shave in my opinion because the head swivels. It also creates less of a mess especially if you are traveling all the time.

Thx.

I'll buy one just to try. Probably a Braun.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

MCOflyer

Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:10 pm

I use regular razors as thats all I need right now. However, I have a phillips ready for action should the need arise.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

N1120A

Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:17 am

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 8):

There are quite a few in Boston. One in Burlington right near the Burlington Mall. Another is off of Rt.9 in Natick and there is one in Somerville too.

The one in Somerville is off Mystic Ave. near Sullivan Square, so the transportation shouldn't be an issue.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

KaiGywer
Crew

Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:20 am

I have had nothing but bad luck with electric razors.

That is the Gillette Fusion razor.

Works great!
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

MCOflyer

Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:23 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 25):
I have had nothing but bad luck with electric razors.

I used an electric back in HS but since then, its been down hill for me.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

comorin

Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:33 am

A stripper at Scores once advised me to use Conditioner instead of shaving cream - who am I to argue?  scratchchin 

bill142

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:23 am

I used to use an electric shaver, but it caused a nasty rash as high lighted in this thread

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ums/non_aviation/read.main/1479918

I could only get rid of it by growing a full beard and not shaving any part of my face for at least a month. I now only shave once a week with a razor.

ManuCH
Crew

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:50 am

I've always used Philips electric razors. I'm one of those people who, for some reason, are unable to shave using tradizional, non-electric razors...  Smile
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

Mir

Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:20 am

I used to use an electric razor, but gave it up because it felt like it wasn't so much cutting the hair as grabbing and yanking it out.

I've gone to straight edge and haven't looked back.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 19):
That said, I think the best thing about them is the newer alloys they are using in the blades, which means they last a really, really long time, which negates much of the added cost.

Funny, I find that the Fusion blades have ridiculously short lives, worse than the Mach 3.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

HAWK21M

Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:11 am

I find the shave from an Electric razor is too fine....leading to rash at times.The good old Mac3 blade is adequate.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Mike89406

Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Braun Flex Integral bar none for me. I've been using Braun razors since 1995 and it is the only razor that gives me a close enough shave. I have used Norelco's products and it doesn't do as good of a job. I have used the Mach 3 and other non electric razors however becuase of the shape of my chin I usually knick my face.

Quoting Andz (Reply 1):
I had a Braun Independent and it was crap. Give me Mach 3 anyday.

TI believe the model your referring to is the cheaper type of Braun razor and you probably won;t get a great shave with it. My experiance has been that you usually have to buy the more expensive priced Braun (Usually over $100) to get the really good comfortable shave. Just my 2 cents..

The thing is I buy the more expensive Braun razor and despite the exensive price tag it lasts me an average of 4-5 years. I have to replace the foil cover and blades once a year or so to maintain the close smooth shave. The cleaning system which is a great feature because in the past when they didn't have this built in cleaning system I used to clean it by hand with my razor cleaning brush.
[Edited 2008-09-14 09:37:03]

Regards Mike

[Edited 2008-09-14 09:42:43]

[Edited 2008-09-14 09:46:42]

Mike89406

Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:33 pm

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 11):

If you switch to a electric razor especially in my case the Braun your skin will take a month before it gets used to it as my face would feel a little raw at first. However there are many types of razors or brands depending on your preference. One recommendation is to use a product called Williams Lectric pre-shave or some other before you shave as it will make your skin less irritated and easier to shave.
Big version: Width: 200 Height: 200 File size: 11kb

blrsea

Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:04 pm

I found schick's quattro to be much better than gillete m3 or fusion. Gives a smoother shave too!

ACDC8

Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:49 pm

I tried using an electric razor once, the Phillips Coolskin shaver. And while it was somewhat quicker, it did a pretty poor job (compared to a blade razor) and just irritated my skin too much.

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 34):
I found schick's quattro to be much better than gillete m3 or fusion. Gives a smoother shave too!

So do I. I've been using Schick for about a year now and find it much better than the Gillette. Just the handle being made out of metal instead of plastic makes a big difference.

Anyone know why Schick is called Wilkinson Sword in Europe?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

A342

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:03 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 30):
I used to use an electric razor, but gave it up because it felt like it wasn't so much cutting the hair as grabbing and yanking it out.

Hm, what make and model was it, do you still remember?
Exceptions confirm the rule.

HAWK21M

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:32 pm

Is there a razor than can shave to give a slight unshaven look of one day old.Any suggestions.It would be great to use on Holidays  Smile
regds
MEL

IHadAPheo

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:35 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 26):
I used an electric back in HS but since then, its been down hill for me.

That's the problem, go uphill (against the grain), or is that with the grain?

I use a Fusion with pretty dang good results, I do have a Braun for use when I am either too tired of sick of cutting off neurofibromas and leaving a blood trail through the house

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

HAWK21M

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:38 pm

Quoting Ihadapheo (Reply 38):

That's the problem, go uphill (against the grain), or is that with the grain?

Down hill has its advantages  Smile
regds
MEL

747srule

Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:07 am

Using an electric is like having a death wish. One more time,folks. Soak your blade in baby oil between uses. You will get an EXCELLENT shave. The oil coats the blade and reduces friction. You will thank me for this tidbit of info.
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

IHadAPheo

Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:16 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 39):
Down hill has its advantages  

Electric or blade the results for me are often the same.. a bloody mess on the face and the sink. I hate shaving

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

Mir

Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:02 am

Quoting A342 (Reply 36):
Hm, what make and model was it, do you still remember?

No, I don't. I think it was a Schick, but I could be wrong.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

HT

Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:36 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 35):
Anyone know why Schick is called Wilkinson Sword in Europe?

Wilkinson Sword is the original, Schick only the brand name in NA and Australasia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilkinson_Sword & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schick_(razors)

Electric Razors.

I tried out wet shaving using different brands while I was in the army, but reverted back to electric shavers.
Every morning, I use a Philips with rotating blades for the raw cut and a Braun with swivelling head to clean shave. If I have to pack lightly for a trip, I pack the Braun but will shave again in the evening as my facial hair is very sturdy and the Braun will struggle to cut my 24-hour beard.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

ACDC8

Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:56 am

Quoting HT (Reply 43):
Wilkinson Sword is the original, Schick only the brand name in NA and Australasia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilkinson_Sword & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schick_...zors)

Actually, I found this ...

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...son-Sword-Ltd-Company-History.html

... amazing history! Personally though, I do prefer the Wilkinson name over the Schick name, I don't know why, but Schick just sounds too feminine. Luckily I still have an actual Wilkinson razor, even though I don't use it since its somewhat of a collectors item from James Bond Goldeneye.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

HT

Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:38 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 44):
Actually, I found this ...

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa....html

Most interesting. But it leaves me curious for the history of the Schick-company. Will do some more research later ...
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

HAWK21M

Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:45 am

Quoting Ihadapheo (Reply 41):
Electric or blade the results for me are often the same.. a bloody mess on the face and the sink. I hate shaving

Try the candle  wink 
I personally prefer the One day unshaven look.
regds
MEL