MCOflyer
Topic Author

Best And Worst Grocery Stores

Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:44 pm

Found this on aol and would like to know your opinion who the good and worst.

http://www.walletpop.com/specials/mo...-and-least-favorite-grocery-stores

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

NIKV69

RE: Best And Worst Grocery Stores

Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:17 pm

Easily the best supermarket I walked into was the Jewel Ocso in Barrington, IL. It was big, but still able to find everything had everything you wanted and cleaner than a hospital. Worst has to go to Pathmark and Shoprite, they are bad.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Continental

Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:36 pm

In terms of a store where you can go in, find everything you want in stock and in great quantity, I would put Cub Foods as my favorite. The aisles are wide and the stores are clean. It's based in MN and is only in a few midwest states.

Other than Cub Foods, I really like Publix. They usually have everything in stock and the stores (at least where I lived) were clean.

Stores like Byerly's, Wegmans and Kowalski's are obviously the best looking stores, but it's too expensive to do your weekly shopping there. Those stores are only good for a quick run in to get a few items.

midcon385

Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:50 pm

One word: Wegmans. The Asian Wokery RULES!!!!!!!

Our closest Wegmans (Mechanicsburg, PA) is like 30 mins away so we mostly shop at GIANT. Wegmans is more of a "go and get some Chinese food for a treat" kind of thing. The Sesame chicken, egg and spring rolls, sweet 'n' sour chicken, pot stickers, shrimp purses, dumplings, and lo mein are my favorites. Makes a great meal and it's the best Chinese I've ever had. Restaurant-quality food for sure!

Tim

[Edited 2008-09-14 07:52:35]
MidContinent Airlines: We Know How To Fly!

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:52 pm

My favorites:

Costco (love them but we dont have any in brevard county, fl
Walmart super center (my former g/f is a manager there)
Publix (cashiers are bitchy sometimes)
Wegmans

Least favorite:

Walmart neighborhood market (no bakery assortment)
save-a-lot (family's had problems there)

Hunter

EMBQA

Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:52 pm

I go out of my way to shop at Publix..I drive 20 minutes and pass several other stores to get there. I spent a few months in PIT on a trip for work back in 2005 and stayed in an extended stay hotel... shopped at Giant Eagle. Like that as well. Back home in Maine, Shaws is really nice.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

srbmod

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:01 pm

I definitely agree with those who say Publix, Trader Joe's, and Aldi are among the best, and that Wal-Mart is one of the worst. I've shopped at Publix for years, mainly because I worked for them years back and their stores are very rarely wrecked despite the store being very busy. Trader Joe's is still a bit of a novelty for me, as there are not any close to where I live, so the only chance I get to go into one is if I happen to be in the area of a location and they're open (I drive past one every week, but never at the time they're open. If they opened up at 7 am instead of 9 am, they would definitely get folks on their way to work to come in and pick up stuff for their lunches.). We've been shopping at Aldi for about 5 or so years, as they've got good products at great prices. When we starting shopping at the one near me, you would maybe see 2 or 3 other shoppers in the store. In the last few years, the word has gotten out and there are times when all three checkout lanes are in use.

The one person in that article that said Winn-Dixie must have one helluva W-D where they live, as the ones they used to have here weren't all that great.

I'm actually surprised that nobody mentioned Kroger in either category. The Kroger nearest to me is one of the worst grocery stores I have ever been in. It's a small store compared to what they build these days (It opened up about 20+ years ago.) and despite several remodels in the last decade, it is not that great of a store. I actually try to avoid shopping there because I usually ending up walking out because I get so frustrated because the layout is so confusing and they don't have that great of a meat department (Prior to the last remodel, they had a pretty decent meat dept.). My last place I lived at, I would drive past this store on my way home, and unless I absolutely needed something (At 2 in the morning when you're on the way home from work, there's not too many shopping choices.), I would not shop there, choosing instead to drive to a newer one that was about 2 miles further from my place than this Kroger was.

I've never really been a fan of Wal-Mart when it comes to grocery shopping. About 8-9 years ago I used them because there was a Super Wal-Mart about a 10 minute drive from where I lived at the time, and my only other option was a run-down Kroger (A different one than the above mentioned location, but was about 5 miles away.) that late at night didn't seem so safe. Plus I would use this as an opportunity to shop for non-grocery stuff as well.

FriendlySkies

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Publix in the southeast, and as a native of the Chicago area, Jewel-Osco is also great.

I'll also go out of my way to shop at Publix, nothing else in the Atlanta or Greenville area comes close. Stores are always clean, employees are almost always great, food is fresh and prices are good, and best of all, you don't need a stupid "bonus card" to get the deals.

greggarious

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:40 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 2):
Publix

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 4):
Publix

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 5):
Publix

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 6):
Publix

For sure! Publix is easily the best regular chain supermarket I've walked into. My village of Key Biscayne only has a Winn Dixie, which is... beyond the pale (kidding, but it seriously is nowhere near as good). We've been driving to the mainland and doing our big grocery hauls at Publixes for a while now, and it's great.

Byerly's

I'm a fan... of course, I've only seen them in Minnesota.

skygirl

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:46 pm

And just why hasn't anyone mentioned the Piggly Wiggly? I loved the piggly wiggly as a kid, and was sad to see their decline. Plus, piggly wiggly is fun to say. I'm big on the pig.

Wal-Mart fails. Alas, I end up there often mostly out of necessity. But it's always dirty, no one is friendly, and it's always a miracle if I can find someone that speaks almost fluent english.

Publix rules for the fact that it's the only place that I can find guava jelly (bring on the MIA l/o's!)

I'm also a huge fan of Ingle's. That's kind of a Carolina grocery store, so I know when I see it that I'm home.
...Now they face an even greater danger...Tyrannousaurs in F-14's!!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:50 pm

No one tried Fresh&Easy ?
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

usxguy

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:54 pm

Greggarious,

For some reason Winn Dixie is the closest store to me too, and i'm on A1A... but its probably the nicest one I've ever been in. Winn Dixie seems to have lots of smaller stores vs. one big store per "neighborhood" as we see up here.

In South Florida, we really only have 2 options, outside of the Big-Box Stores... Albertsons recently just shed about 50% of their stores.

Back "home", Kroger is the big guy, and they make sure that everyone knows it. At least in my hometown (Decatur), they've remodeled or rebuilt every store. Eagle seems to have pulled out, Schnucks just hasn't been able to build a brand - although when they came in the store was very high-end, and then you have Wal-Mart and Aldi chasing the cheap crowd.

I personally have no choice... I can handle the Winn Dixie here because its not crowded and has what I want, and there's a good-sized Publix over at Oakland Park & US1.
xx

seb146

Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:56 pm

I would put Cub Foods as my favorite. The aisles are wide and the stores are clean.

We used to have Cub Foods here in Oregon, but they were bought by or merged with WinCo. I don't really care much for WinCo. There are always so many people there and it can be dirty. Long lines at check out at all hours, even thought they are open 24 hours. Strangest thing. They do have a good bulk food section.

We do not have Publix or Aldi here, either. The two stores I really like here are QFC and Haggen. Both are clean and relaxed. QFC has a really good deli and bakery. Haggen has a salad bar, deli and bakery that are wonderful!
Life in the wall is a drag.

MSYtristar

Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:06 pm

In ATL I usually go to either Publix or Kroger just for the convenience factor. They are everywhere.

In MSY, I usually go to a place called Dorginacs...they have the best wine/liquor selection in the Gulf South basically...

http://www.dorignacs.com

...or Rouses, which is a local chain in Louisiana. Winn Dixie has nice stores in the MSY area but I use them as a last resort.

Generally I tend to give my $$$ to local chains when I have the choice.

[Edited 2008-09-14 09:14:46]

Alias1024

Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:14 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 11):
We used to have Cub Foods here in Oregon, but they were bought by or merged with WinCo. I don't really care much for WinCo. There are always so many people there and it can be dirty. Long lines at check out at all hours, even thought they are open 24 hours. Strangest thing. They do have a good bulk food section.

thumbsdown  to WinCo. Dirty and crowded. I'm not really a fan of the warehouse grocery stores.

thumbsup  to New Season Market. A little pricier, but just what a grocery store should be. Basically a shrine to good food, with nice "scenery" at the one on NE 33rd and Killingsworth. I also like the large selection of organic and locally grown products.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

dahawaiian

Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:19 pm

I am very disappointed in the variety of stuff Publix carries vs Safeway. Maybe it is just the stores in my area but I miss the Safeway and QFC stores that I frequented when I lived in Washington State.

DfwRevolution

Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:27 pm

Food Lion really is the pits, they got that one right. I would never shop there. The North Dallas area is riddled with post offices and government service buildings that have been built in closed-down Food Lions.

greggarious

Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:09 pm

Quoting USXguy (Reply 12):
I can handle the Winn Dixie here

Hey, if it's a nice one, why not? The one in my town gets poor marks simply because it's somewhat poorly stocked in comparison to the afore-mentioned supermarket of the gods Publix.

Oh, and if any Brits are trolling this thread: Waitrose is amazing! Admittedly, this is partly because every time I see one I think to myself for some reason that "Boutros Boutros-Ghali" sounds a bit like "Waitrose Waitrose-Ghali". Don't ask why!  Silly

rwsea

Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:27 pm

I'd say the places I usually go are Albertsons or Fred Meyer.

Haven't set food in a WalMart in years, and refuse to.

ronglimeng

Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:27 pm

I would enter my "Best and Worst" Grocery Store Choices but grocery stores seem to be so regional that I doubt if many people here would even recognise them. I hardly recognise any of the stores above except for the ubiquitous Wal-Mart.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to hijack the thread, but there is a fairly rich vein of "Grocery Store Etiquette" on the Internet. It might be more useful to discuss that topic?.

srbmod

Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:39 pm

Quoting SkyGirl (Reply 9):
And just why hasn't anyone mentioned the Piggly Wiggly? I loved the piggly wiggly as a kid, and was sad to see their decline. Plus, piggly wiggly is fun to say. I'm big on the pig.

There still are Piggly Wiggly locations around here, they took over some of Winn-Dixie's old stores, and other locations have been around for years under several different names.

I'm also a huge fan of Ingle's. That's kind of a Carolina grocery store, so I know when I see it that I'm home.

We still have a few around here, but they're beginning to retreat from the main parts of the Metro Atlanta. Some of the ones that are still open have been in the same spot for 20+ years and folks still shop there because in order to get to the nearest Kroger, Publix, or Wal-Mart, they'd drive right past the Ingles. You really tend to see them more along the fringes of Metro Atlanta and outside of Metro Atlanta (Same with chains like Food Lion, Bi-Lo, and SuperValu.).

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 11):
We used to have Cub Foods here in Oregon, but they were bought by or merged with WinCo.

We had them in the Atlanta area until about 7 years ago when they closed up shop here. I liked them as a kid, as my Mom would normally do the grocery shopping on Friday, and she'd wait until after we got home from school and she'd shop while my sister and I roamed around the store hitting all of the free samples they had.

usxguy

Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:45 pm

Speaking of brits & food, I was SSOOO mad to see Cadbury Dairy Milk in the intl food aisle, thinking it was the IMPORTED chocolate... i got home and spit it out.. it was made in freakin Pennsylvania under a license with Hershey! boo!

Why does Publix have to trick us like that?!?!
xx

Alias1024

Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Forgot to mention that New Seasons Market is a PDX area chain.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

airportugal310

Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:09 pm

In MA you have your Shaws and Stop&Shops...

Both get the job done...need food? Its there
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

Superfly

Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:10 pm

Here in San Francisco;

The best:
Safeway

They always have great deals, open 24 hours, hard liquor is always marked down and they're the only place that has 2-liter bottles of tonic water for only 99 cents. 1.75 liter bottles of vodka for only $10.99. I can make dozens of vodka-tonics for under $13.00.
Safeway has everything.

Sunset Super
Excellent grocery store full of hot Asian spices and other ethnic foods from the Far East. All sorts of seafood and they have a huge bucket of live frogs.

Andronico's
Despite their expensive reputation, they do have sales and when mark down their prices, they are reall, really cheap. The best seafood and selection of free-range meats if you're in to that. Best of all is their beer selection. They carry just about every kind of micro and macro brew from around the world.

Trader Joe's
They sale a certain fine California wine from Napa Valley named Charles Shaw for only $1.99.  Cool

Worst:
Whole Foods - Super expensive boutique yuppie grocery store with snobby service, poor selection, terrible hours and poor selection of booze.

Molly Stone
Same as above.
Bring back the Concorde

airportugal310

Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:17 pm

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 25):
Safeway: very sterile - and the whole store smells of this horrible fragrance. they are also the most expensive

They have to maintain their two business jets somehow!
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

TUNisia

Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:17 pm

I'm living in AZ now, but moving back to RI next week (whoo hoo!) and the grocery stores here in AZ SUCK!

Frys: my least favorite - obscene and extensive use of harsh florescent lighting. they also try to peddle a large number of trinkets in the store (statues of pigs as chefs, ducks with aprons on, etc...). the stores are just seem dirty.

Safeway: very sterile - and the whole store smells of this horrible fragrance. they are also the most expensive

Bashas: the most comfortable to shop in, but the closest one is 20 mins away.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

PSA727

Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:21 pm

Most of the gorcery stores that existed for me growing up in California are now basically
part of VONS or Albertson's, neither of which I like. However, living in the Mid-Atlantic
region I have grown quite fond of Harris Teeter. Plus, having Trader Joe's stores open up
here over the last decade helps, also.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

MadameConcorde

Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:16 pm

I am fortunate to be practically at the border of two countries. I generally do not like the big chain hypermarkets. Carrefour is the one that has the monopoly in Monaco. I try to avoid grocery shopping in Monaco as much as I can.

I prefer going to Italy, mainly Ventimiglia where there are heaps of old fashioned traditional specialty food stores and an absolutely fabulous vegetable market with every fresh vegetables you can imagine coming from medium to small scale operations, not talking about the most wonderful fresh custom made pasta and ravioli of every imaginable kind, everything costing only a fraction of the prices in Monaco and the rest of the French Riviera.

The supermarkets in Italy - Standa and Coop - are truly a great deal always for high quality products. I have yet to see any junk food in Liguria.

I do one grocery shopping trip to Italy every week all by train/bus. Sometimes I go all the way to San Remo when I have time, preferably when the weather is cooler.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

srbmod

Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:18 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 23):
Trader Joe's
They sale a certain fine California wine from Napa Valley named Charles Shaw for only $1.99.

Due to the alcohol taxes here, it costs about $2.49 a bottle or so. Personally, I'm hooked on their Trader Ming's Peanut Satay Noodles.

Whole Foods - Super expensive boutique yuppie grocery store with snobby service, poor selection, terrible hours and poor selection of booze.

Hence the nickname "Whole Paycheck". I've been wanting to check them out because they have an olive bar with an interesting selection of olives.

flight152

Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:43 pm

Best? With out a doubt Wegmans. It's an instutition in western New York and for good reason. Stores are very clean, have excellent takeout from pasta stations, chinese, subs, and pizza and homegrown produce from local growers.

Consumer reports and the food network listed it the best grocery store in the country. In both 2008 and 2007 Fortune ranked Wegmans the third best company to work for in the United States. Wegmans has appeared on Fortune’s annual "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since its inception in 1998, and has ranked among the top 10 for six consecutive years.

[Edited 2008-09-14 12:46:35]

[Edited 2008-09-14 12:51:13]

ACDC8

Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:45 pm

My favourite grocery store is The Real Canadian Superstore. Great selection, great quality and great prices. The worst is Buy Low, by far the most overpriced stores around, even more expensive than Safeway.

I hate Costco, just the simple fact that I'm required to pay $45 a year for the "privilege" to shop there is reason enough for me not to go. Most other stores have just as good prices so I'd never get my $45 back through savings.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Cadet57

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:31 pm

Tell me about it. I went into one for the first time about a month ago, and mius the amazing looking desserts, Id never shop there. 2 dollars for an orange? Excuse me. "Organic, pesticide free Orange"

Quoting AirPortugal310 (Reply 24):
In MA you have your Shaws and Stop&Shops...

Here in W.mass no shaws, S&S and Big Y. I like Big Y over stop and shop.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

fbgdavidson

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:41 pm

Best: Trader Joe's, Wegmans, Whole Foods, Waitrose

Worst: Walmart, Walmart, Walmart, Food Lion, Asda.

Trader Joe's
They sale a certain fine California wine from Napa Valley named Charles Shaw for only $1.99.

My mother-in-law, the queen of cheap wine is obssesed with Two Buck Chuck. According to her the guy made a ton of money and just wanted to sell wine to the masses and that you don't know whether you're getting 'an $85 bottle' or not. We use it as cooking wine, I tried the Merlot and thought it was foul!

We go to Trader Joes a lot (nearest one is 70 miles away so take cool boxes and spend about $300 a time!) and really like the different selection of foods and sauces. It's great  thumsbup , but we have one opening just a few miles in two weeks, yay!

We had a Whole Foods open just a few miles away and it is fantastic, and cheap! It has become Richmond's latest big attraction.  biggrin  I've been twice in the last week and they even had three police cars scattered around the car park...I presume to stop riots erupting over the one spare parking spot!

Selection of food and goods in general is superb. $0.99/lb for locally grown green and red peppers, organic lemonade $0.99 per quart are just a couple I can remember. You could spend your 'whole paycheck' there if you bought $9 pasta sauce, $47 bottles of wine and the like but we'd heard Whole Foods was pricey and are pleasantly surprised to find it isn't!

Wal-Mart fails. Alas, I end up there often mostly out of necessity. But it's always dirty, no one is friendly, and it's always a miracle if I can find someone that speaks almost fluent english.

I f'in hate Walmart for all the reasons you mention and the one addition...always a ten minute wait to buy one or two items, when 80% of the checkouts are unmanned.  Angry Their selection of fresh produce is abysmal too. Alas, my mother-in-law, the aforementioned queen of cheap wine loves the place and is rejoicing the second Walmart being built in their town as it saves her driving an extra mile to the other one Wink I'm also not a fan of Walmart's business practices  thumbsdown 

Food Lion is for the same reasons and they don't take Amex either. Grrr. The Food Lion near where my wife's parents live has recently become a 'bloom' (yes it has a small 'b'!) which is supposed to be the upscale Food Lion brand. I'm yet to try it.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

LAXintl

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:43 pm

To me in SoCal.

Whole Foods
Bristol Farms
Trader Joe's

I happily pay a little bit extra in prices for extremely fresh food particularly fish, meats and veggies, plus the many gourmet and foreign items plus all their organic options and the very clean stores and friendly staff.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Cadet57

Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:08 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 34):
...always a ten minute wait to buy one or two items, when 80% of the checkouts are unmanned.

That is my biggest rant about walmart. My city's store has 30 registers. I was there yesterday (saturday) and about half those were open. It took me about 10-15 mins in the EXPRESS lane to get to the cashier.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:11 pm

FYI Publix fans,

They have some of the worst people working in their land development department. No big parking areas. Always small lots and no big ones. I always tip a bagger $1 or 2 whenever I need help. Some employees are RPIA's and I know that first hand as I used to work there. However, if you get management, the benefits are awesome.

They have a new gas station chain called PIX: more expensive than 7-11 and Murphy USA. In addition, they have a new chain of liquor stores. Pricey than ABC.

Flight152,

My first stop whenever I visit family in ELM is Wegmans. I love them despite the fact that they are pricey as heck.

Hunter

greggarious

Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:26 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 36):

Meh... Publix redeems itself every time with its chicken tenders and subs.

stasisLAX

Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:08 pm

I absolutely love the Fresh & Easy markets here in Southern California. Because these are "neighborhood markets" and not a big box store, it doesn't have the huge selection that major grocery chains have, I will purchase all that I can from this store and leave what remains for Von's Supermarket. I really appreciate the fresh produce and meats that Fresh & Easy offers. It is a welcome change to the sub-standard products that people are offered in my Long Beach neighborhood.

Fresh & Easy offers numerous prepared meals, which are delicious. I was pleased to see the new Long Beach store also had a food sampling booth, everything from cranberry juice to cookies, which is a nice touch and keeps grocery shoppers in a good mood. The LB store is also incredibly clean, well-stafffed. and ratiionally organized.  bigthumbsup 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:10 pm

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 37):

Meh... Publix redeems itself every time with its chicken tenders and subs.

Too much money for them. Better off buying a Subway $5 meatball special.

Hunter

KAUST

Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:12 pm

Pretty much sounds like when I worked at Wal Mart. I was hired for one department, and by the time I left about 6 months later, I worked all over the place, from Pets to Live Pets to cashiering to receiving to maintenance. And did they ever praise my willingness and ability to branch out? Not one bit. Boy, was I glad to leave.  yes 
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:16 pm

Quoting KAUST (Reply 40):

Pretty much sounds like when I worked at Wal Mart. I was hired for one department, and by the time I left about 6 months later, I worked all over the place, from Pets to Live Pets to cashiering to receiving to maintenance. And did they ever praise my willingness and ability to branch out? Not one bit. Boy, was I glad to leave.

My friend works there and I'll ask her if that it goes. Shes a newly promoted CSM and does a good job too.

Hunter

deltairlines

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:00 am

Here's my thoughts, based on having lived in Massachusetts, gone to school in North Carolina for the past 4 years and now living in Minnesota, plus doing a lot of travel in between:

Good - Stop and Shop. Clean stores, real good selection. Best in Massachusetts.
Avoid - Market Basket. Stores are rather dirty and dumpy. Shop there only when I need to (i.e. grabbing a gallon of milk on the way home and it's the only grocery store on the way)
Meh - Shaw's. Don't like it as much as Stop and Shop, but it's not bad.

Good - Harris Teeter. Expensive, yes. Real good selection though.
Avoid - Food Lion. The Market Basket of the South, except even worse.
Meh - Lowe's Foods. Can't complain too much about them - not as nice as Harris Teeter, but it gets the job done.

Cub Foods I've found to be pretty decent so far. The stores I've been to have been alright, but a good selection of food. Still, it's a mile down the road from my apartment and it's on the way home from work, so I can't complain too much.

Bartonsayswhat

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:23 am

if any of you have ever frequented Vancouver Island (YYJ) you'll know the answer to this is Thrifty Foods.
worst store ever has to be SuperStore. its the canadian version of walmart, except it sucks more. the only plus is people speak english, but i hate it hate it hate it.

JetBlueGuy2006

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:29 am

Man, no Midwesterners on here. I have to go with Meijer. The new ones are especially clean and they are keeping up the older ones.

When I am in Florida or the Southeast, Publix is the way to go  Smile
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

seb146

Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:15 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 14):
to New Season Market. A little pricier, but just what a grocery store should be. Basically a shrine to good food, with nice "scenery" at the one on NE 33rd and Killingsworth.

Uh.... I have been there once and the "clientele" left a lot to be desired. I like the Whole Foods downtown on 11th (?) and West Burnside.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 20):
my sister and I roamed around the store hitting all of the free samples they had.

Does anyone do free samples anymore? I have not seen them in 20 years.

To those in SoCal: What ever happend to Alpha Beta? Not that I cared much for them, but I have not heard anything about them for a long time.
Life in the wall is a drag.

N801NW

Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:20 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 45):
To those in SoCal: What ever happend to Alpha Beta? Not that I cared much for them, but I have not heard anything about them for a long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Beta

Quote:
In 1994, Yucaipa Companies, then-owner of the Alpha Beta chain in southern California, purchased Ralphs Grocery Company and renamed itself after Ralphs. All existing Alpha Beta stores in the state were rebranded as Ralphs or Food 4 Less[2], and the Alpha Beta name ceased to exist by September 1995.

ABQ747

Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:28 am

The best and worst grocery stores in Albuquerque:

Best:
Raley's (left Albuquerque market last year  crying  )
Trader Joe's
Whole Foods
Talin Market

Average:
Albertson's
Smith's (Kroger)

Worst:
Wal Mart
John Brooks Supermart
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

RayChuang

Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:31 am

Here in Sacramento, CA, there has been a rush to upgrade supermarkets to keep customers from wandering off to the five Wal-Mart Supercenters and several WinCo stores on the outskirts of the Sacramento area. Small wonder why I see heavily-remodelled Save Mart, Safeway and Raley's stores all over town.

As such, we now have really good supermarkets in the Sacramento, CA area.  cool  Save Mart has good quite good because during the change from Albertson's to Save Mart many stores got substantial upgrades.

Jetsgo

Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:40 am

I find it so...weird that I have NEVER set foot in, let alone heard of so many of these chains. (Wegmens, Publix) I grew up in Sacramento and now live in Reno and usually alternate between Bel Air/Raleys and Safeway. Occasionally I will make trips to Save Mart or Scolaris depending on where I am and what I need.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!