cumulus

Nine Types Of Drinker -Which Are You?!

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:02 am

Some Government Department has just spent £736bn (probably!) commissioning a survey into the drinking habits in the U.K (as we a are fundamentally a Nation of Drunks!) and have come up with nine categories of boozer. Which one are you? For me, all of them!!!  drunk 

Depressed Drinker Life in a state of crisis ie. recently bereaved, divorced or in financial crisis Alcohol is a comforter and a form of self-medication used to help them cope

De-stress Drinker Pressurised job or stressful home life leads to feelings of being out of control and burdened with responsibility Alcohol is used to relax, unwind and calm down and to gain a sense of control when switching between work and personal life. Partners often support or reinforce behaviour by preparing drinks for them

Re-bonding Drinker Relevant to those with a very busy social calendar Alcohol is the ‘shared connector' that unifies and gets them on the same level. They often forget the time and the amount they are consuming

Conformist Drinker Traditional guys who believe that going to the pub every night is ‘what men do' Justify it as ‘me time'. The pub is their second home and they feel a strong sense of belonging and acceptance within this environment

Community Drinker Drink in fairly large social friendship groups The sense of community forged through the pub-group. Drinking provides a sense of safety and security and gives their lives meaning. It also acts a social network

Boredom Drinker Typically single mums or recent divorcees with restricted social life Drinking is company, making up for an absence of people. Drinking marks the end of the day, perhaps following the completion of chores

Macho Drinker Often feeling under-valued, disempowered and frustrated in important areas of their life Have actively cultivated a strong ‘alpha male' that revolves around their drinking ‘prowess'. Drinking is driven by a constant need to assert their masculinity and status to themselves and others

Hedonistic Drinker Single, divorced and/or with grown up children Drinking excessively is a way of visibly expressing their independence, freedom and ‘youthfulness' to themselves. Alcohol used to release inhibitions

Border dependents Men who effectively live in the pub which, for them, is very much a home from home A combination of motives, including boredom, the need to conform, and a general sense of malaise in their lives
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

ACDC8

RE: Nine Types Of Drinker -Which Are You?!

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:13 am

None of the above for me. I just drink if I feel like it, no whim or reason.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

nighthawk

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:22 am

Quoting Cumulus (Thread starter):
Conformist Drinker Traditional guys who believe that going to the pub every night is ‘what men do' Justify it as ‘me time'. The pub is their second home and they feel a strong sense of belonging and acceptance within this environment

Community Drinker Drink in fairly large social friendship groups The sense of community forged through the pub-group. Drinking provides a sense of safety and security and gives their lives meaning. It also acts a social network

Them two i would guess. I drink on a fiday night cause thats what fridays are for. I go down the local to meet the guys I know and have a few beers.

cumulus

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:28 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 1):
I just drink if I feel like it, no whim or reason.

Is that not a contradiction in terms???!!

ACDC8

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:34 am

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 3):
Is that not a contradiction in terms???!!

I guess it is in a way, just leave it "reason" then ....  Silly
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

andz

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:52 am

Except for the "it's what men do" thing.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

skygirl

Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:00 am

Social drinker, sort of. And tonight the DD of a very intoxicated friend. Video will be on youtube tomorrow, it's all rather amusing. Yes, that was all just a shameless plug so that I wouldn't be told that my post needed to be made more meaningful.
...Now they face an even greater danger...Tyrannousaurs in F-14's!!

cumulus

Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:06 am

Quoting SkyGirl (Reply 6):
Video will be on youtube tomorrow,

Pre Denial, justifying your drinking!!! Tut tut!!!

Cadet57

Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:06 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 1):
None of the above for me. I just drink if I feel like it, no whim or reason.

Same here. Thou if I had to pick one, Id choose that destressing one. Sometimes after a crappy day I like to have one just to relax while watching tv.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

NAV20

Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:21 pm

Excellent thread, Cumulus - a serious thread makes a change from 'hobby' threads like dealing with 'terr'ism,' global warming, the economic meltdown etc.  Smile

My problem is, though, read carefully through the list and didn't fit any of the categories.   So I had to invent a tenth one to cover me  :-

"Convinced/Experienced Drinker - retired, kids and ex-wife off my hands, no excessive stress, health, or financial problems. Usually a glass of wine with lunch, a beer after gardening on a warm day, another glass of wine with dinner, 1-2 weak Scotches (drowned in ice-cold mineral water, they'd never give me a visa to visit Scotland again!) while prowling the Internet in the evening. Dinner out every week or two with one or other of the kids, usually split a bottle of red. Have given up on pubs in recent years; nowadays (in Australia, anyway), they're sad places full of pensioners and deadlegs pouring their money into absurdly-'weighted' poker machines......."

[Edited 2008-09-17 06:22:58]
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

greggarious

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:18 pm

Yeah, honestly, all nine categories managed to put a negative spin on drinking. How about, "like to enjoy a glass of wine when having dinner with a friend?" Not exactly stress drinking, nor is it exactly community drinking. Maybe "cultural drinker" should be thrown in the mix, as I've been raised with the belief that a glass or two of wine goes perfectly with a meal...

Of course, every so often I'll get absolutely hammered as well!  Silly

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:47 pm

Having just turned 21, I've only recently started drinking (I didn't drink underage, as I wasn't going to chance blowing my commission into the Air Force on an underage drinking charge). I guess I'm a combination of a social drinker and boredom drinker. I'll drink at a party (well, just one or two at most) and occasionally, I'll drink out of boredom at night, but again, just one or two, and that one drink will help me sleep at night too. I drink to enjoy the drink - not to get drunk. Most I've ever had in one night is five drinks - four rum & cokes and a beer - over Labor Day weekend. But I hate being around drunk people.

I'll also drink in celebration.

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 7):

You never have to justify drinking. Any reason is a good reason to drink.  biggrin   silly 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

falstaff

Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:35 pm

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 10):
honestly, all nine categories managed to put a negative spin on drinking.

That is true, they didn't mention the reason I like drinking. I like to get drunk. Drinking is fun and it gives you something to do while hanging out with your friends.

Drinking beers goes well with a lot of activities.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 11):
Any reason is a good reason to drink

back when I was in college I thought I knocked up this girl and when she found out she wasn't pregnant I went out and got drunk in celebration. If she had been pregnant I would have also got drunk.

Some Government Department has just spent £736bn (probably!) commissioning a survey into the drinking habits in the U.K

This is the first step for prohibitionists to come back. The dry movement never went away it changed forms. Groups like MADD are not against drunk driving they are against drinking all together, but use the drunk driving front to be acceptable to the larger society. The same goes with the anti-gun groups that hide behind gun safety and some hunting groups. I have said for a long time that when the do gooders get done with putting cigarettes out of the way they will move on to drinking again. It is only a matter of time. Many of the same arguments used against smoking can be used against drinking. I don't like smoking, but I will stand up for it because I know my drinking is next.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

LOT767-300ER

Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Having just turned 21, I've only recently started drinking (I didn't drink underage, as I wasn't going to chance blowing my commission into the Air Force on an underage drinking charge). I guess I'm a combination of a social drinker and boredom drinker. I'll drink at a party (well, just one or two at most) and occasionally, I'll drink out of boredom at night, but again, just one or two, and that one drink will help me sleep at night too. I drink to enjoy the drink - not to get drunk. Most I've ever had in one night is five drinks - four rum & cokes and a beer - over Labor Day weekend. But I hate being around drunk people.

The American is a strange species. It has the ability to refuse alcohol and limit itself to a specific number of drinks.

Dougloid

Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 9):
My problem is, though, read carefully through the list and didn't fit any of the categories.   So I had to invent a tenth one to cover me

Here's number 11:

Retired from the trade after finding it was grossly overrated, the migraines stopped, the vision cleared, the wallet became fatter, the liver felt better and little Bobby was now minding his manners.

Wink
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

skygirl

Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:00 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 7):

Lol, I didn't drink last night. 2 nights ago in Reno, that's a different story. Completely different. It was some good beer.

You never have to justify drinking. Any reason is a good reason to drink.

I can justify drinking on some occasions. 1 - Free beer. 2 - Someone else is buying it.

falstaff

Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:18 pm

Quoting SkyGirl (Reply 15):
1 - Free beer. 2 - Someone else is buying it.

my two favorite kinds of beer!

MadameConcorde

Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:28 pm

None of them for me. I qualify as a "party in the sky" drinker.
Dom Perignon Brut is my beverage of choice.
Pink is even better.  cloudnine   champagne 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

RobertNL070

Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:29 pm

A mature adult (boring?) social drinker who'll drink to enjoy a glass of good red wine or enjoys drinking beer in a bar with good company.

No particular rhyme or reason.
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

Superfly

Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:37 pm

Hedonistic Drinker Single, divorced and/or with grown up children Drinking excessively is a way of visibly expressing their independence, freedom and ‘youthfulness' to themselves. Alcohol used to release inhibitions

I guess that would be the closest definition for me. Although, I have no children, never been married.
I just like the "Hedonistic" label.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 13):
The American is a strange species. It has the ability to refuse alcohol and limit itself to a specific number of drinks.

This American chooses not to put his Air Force career on the line, which is why I limit myself. Call it lame if you want. I've heard and seen too many of my counter parts, both here at ERAU and at other units around the country, have their futures ruined because of alcohol related incidents.

Quoting SkyGirl (Reply 15):
I can justify drinking on some occasions. 1 - Free beer. 2 - Someone else is buying it.

Which is why we need to go back to Busch Gardens  biggrin  Free Beer, Free Admission to the Park, and awesome roller coasters to make you  vomit  all that free beer.  bigthumbsup 

skygirl

Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:50 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 20):
Which is why we need to go back to Busch Gardens Free Beer, Free Admission to the Park, and awesome roller coasters to make you all that free beer.

I have never had issues with beer and vomit. Even in Reno. I probably could have kept drinking for another hour or so and not had a problem, until the hangover the next morning. Liqour, especially tequila, is a different story.

Superfly

Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:52 pm

Free Beer, Free Admission to the Park, and awesome roller coasters

I'll drink to that!  champagne   bigthumbsup 
Bring back the Concorde

greggarious

Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:56 pm

Most I've ever had in one night is five drinks - four rum & cokes and a beer - over Labor Day weekend.

Three weeks ago... MIA-MSP in First Class on AA (I'm a poor, starving college student who rarely flies in first)... four gin and tonics and three glasses of pinot grigio. Easily one of the top three flights of my life! But the fact that you're not wagering your future USAF career is totally legit.

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 12):
back when I was in college I thought I knocked up this girl and when she found out she wasn't pregnant I went out and got drunk in celebration. If she had been pregnant I would have also got drunk.

rotfl  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ahah hah ha ha ha!!!

Ha ha, what is that, rule #192 re: Americans?  Silly

Superfly

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:00 pm

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 23):

Ha ha, what is that, rule #192 re: Americans?

confused 
I guess my citizenship will get revoked.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:14 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 22):
Free Beer, Free Admission to the Park, and awesome roller coasters

I'll drink to that!

Then come to Florida sometime next year.  Smile As a member of the military, I can gain entry to Busch Gardens owned parks once a year for free, and I can sponsor up to three relatives or friends. I already used my pass for 2008 when I went with SkyGirl (unfortunately we didn't find out I could get her in for free too until after we'd bought her ticket....Grrrrr) but I will be there at some point next year no doubt. In fact, I've been told I can get into EACH Busch-owned park once a year because their computers are not interlinked, so I may still hit up SeaWorld Orlando later this year.  Smile

If you like coasters, ou'll also have to plan a trip down to LA next summer as my cousin and I are looking into an out-west trip then to hit up Vegas for a couple days and then go over to Los Angeles to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain and I think Knott's Berry Farm.

Quoting SkyGirl (Reply 21):
I have never had issues with beer and vomit. Even in Reno. I probably could have kept drinking for another hour or so and not had a problem, until the hangover the next morning. Liqour, especially tequila, is a different story.

Neither have I and I hope not to find out. I've also never vomitted after a roller coaster, although spinny rides have made me hurl before.

Quoting Greggarious (Reply 23):
Three weeks ago... MIA-MSP in First Class on AA (I'm a poor, starving college student who rarely flies in first)... four gin and tonics and three glasses of pinot grigio.

My dad has DL Crown Room Privleges - let's say that when I travel with him I now take advantage of the open bar when I'm in there.  Smile I've flown F & J a few times but not since turning 21 so I can't wait for the next time I do.

IHadAPheo

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:48 pm

De-stress Drinker Pressurised job or stressful home life leads to feelings of

a need for a nice bright vodka and Tang to lift the veil of darkness that hangs in the not too distantl area of my wonderful home. But not so close as to make things too bad but just close enough to say .. Hey, a vodka and tang would be quite nice right about now.

IHAP

Oh Look! a bunny
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

Superfly

Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 25):
Then come to Florida sometime next year. Smile As a member of the military, I can gain entry to Busch Gardens owned parks once a year for free, and I can sponsor up to three relatives or friends. I already used my pass for 2008 when I went with SkyGirl (unfortunately we didn't find out I could get her in for free too until after we'd bought her ticket....Grrrrr) but I will be there at some point next year no doubt. In fact, I've been told I can get into EACH Busch-owned park once a year because their computers are not interlinked, so I may still hit up SeaWorld Orlando later this year.

Thanks for the offer. Can SkyGirl join in?  Smile

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 25):
If you like coasters, ou'll also have to plan a trip down to LA next summer as my cousin and I are looking into an out-west trip then to hit up Vegas for a couple days and then go over to Los Angeles to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain and I think Knott's Berry Farm.

Let me know. If I am down in LAX area at that time, a roller coaster trip is an order.
Bring back the Concorde

Speedbirdie

Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:55 pm

I personally do not think there is an excuse for drinking alcohol...

Therefore, I am all of the above types...
Never give up..

Superfly

Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:18 pm

Quoting Speedbirdie (Reply 28):
I personally do not think there is an excuse for drinking alcohol...

Therefore, I am all of the above types...

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
Bring back the Concorde

falstaff

Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:52 pm

until the hangover the next morning

I sure had one of those this morning after drinking at DTW last night.

I have never had issues with beer and vomit

I once ate a bunch of butter cookies after drinking too much and that got me puking, but I haven't had much of a problem with beer and puke either.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):
I just like the "Hedonistic" label.

I would say that is you! You are also a fan of the rot gut stuff (as am I) which means you are non discriminating in your tastes.

No me, I usually drink until I am too tired to drink anymore. Unless I have to get up for work in the morning, then I stop at 8pm, usually...

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:37 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
Thanks for the offer. Can SkyGirl join in?

She's invited and I'm sure she'll make it back down to Florida at some point.  biggrin 

The only problem for you 'Fly, is I'll only sponsor card carrying members of the GOP, and females.  silly 

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
Let me know. If I am down in LAX area at that time, a roller coaster trip is an order.

Will do.  Smile I'm not 100% sure if it will happen because I'm really saving my money for SXM 2010 so we'll see what the financial situation is next summer but I'm hoping I get to make it out to Cali.

Phoenix9

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:37 am

I drink only on two occasions:

1) When it rains or snows
2) When it doesn't
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

Superfly

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:45 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 31):
The only problem for you 'Fly, is I'll only sponsor card carrying members of the GOP, and females.

Damn, that leaves me out.

Phoenix9:
I drink only on two occasions:

1) When it rains or snows
2) When it doesn't

I'll drink to that!

[Edited 2008-09-17 17:52:31]

[Edited 2008-09-17 17:52:57]

[Edited 2008-09-17 17:53:21]
Bring back the Concorde

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:40 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 33):
The only problem for you 'Fly, is I'll only sponsor card carrying members of the GOP, and females.

Damn, that leaves me out.  banghead 

Well, I don't see a sex change in your future but maybe you'll have a revelation and come to the dark side by next year.  silly   wink 

Superfly

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:51 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 34):
Well, I don't see a sex change in your future but maybe you'll have a revelation and come to the dark side by next year.

The likelyhood of me becoming a Republican is as likely as me getting a sex change.  Silly
Bring back the Concorde

UN_B732

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:33 am

Re-Bonding or Boredom Drinker  Smile
What now?

cumulus

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:51 am

They can't handle their drink you mean!!!

I'm so proud to be British, and we are also world leaders in drunken public disorder!!!

LOT767-300ER

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:56 am

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 37):
They can't handle their drink you mean!!!

Well first of all, you cant even go to the damn mini-mart and buy beer much less Vodka at 4am in the morning in America. If that, along with the 21 drinking age and piss poor mass brewed beer doesnt give you a clue, I dont know if you should be doing math harder than 2+4=6

Just be glad you dont live in a US state that regulates how much alcohol content there can be in beer. I dont wish that kind of fate for anyone (and that includes Germans and Russians) other than Americans themselves.

RobertNL070

Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:15 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 38):
Just be glad you dont live in a US state that regulates how much alcohol content there can be in beer

[my emphases]

Whaaaat??? You're kidding. That's absolutely crazy!!!!!!
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

ajd1992

Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:26 am

"Re-bonding Drinker Relevant to those with a very busy social calendar Alcohol is the ‘shared connector' that unifies and gets them on the same level. They often forget the time and the amount they are consuming"

I got really drunk last night coincidentally.... I'm still lying in bed because I can't be bothered to get out Big grin

Apparently I sent a load of drunken texts, rang a girl and apparently confessed to her that i was madly in love with her and all sorts (Glad I didn't ring the girl I actually DO like and tell her that  Silly). I do remember falling down a massive hill and landing in a nettle bush though..... several times. Ouch  Sad I keep finding cuts and stuff all over me. God knows how many I have and where  Wink

Oh and to top it off, when I was stumbling home, I needed to be really sick so I sat down on what i thought was a grid on the pavement and hurled my guts out. Turns out it was my ex girlfriends driveway.....

They will NOT be pleased when they find 2 week old sick all down their drive after they get home from Spain in 2 weeks time  Embarrassment  ashamed   banghead   drunk 

cumulus

Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:43 am

Just be glad you dont live in a US state that regulates how much alcohol content there can be in beer. I dont wish that kind of fate for anyone (and that includes Germans and Russians) other than Americans themselves.

Is there a limit as to the strength of Beer in the U.S?

LOT767-300ER

Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:56 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 39):
Whaaaat??? You're kidding. That's absolutely crazy!!!!!!

Thats just one of many reasons why I cant take any American more than half-seriously. And Ive been here on and off for 15 years for gods sake.

Heres a link to one of many screwed up American alcohol laws:

http://www.fortogden.com/utahliqlaw.html
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti.../2003-10-07-spotlight-liquor_x.htm

(Oh yea, in some counties you cant buy alcohol period, and in some states you cant buy alcohol on Sundays)

3 years back I went to Poland with one of my American friends. He thought I was kidding around when I told him we were going to buy Vodka at 4am. He was even more surprised when we bought some beer on that run and I opened it up in a city bus right in front of cops. He thought we were going to jail or get some outrageous American-like drinking ticket and he was pointing at the cops all this time. The cops asked me whats wrong with him and why he is pointing at them, and I told them hes American and hes afraid we will be in trouble for drinking. Thats when one of them started laughing so damn hard he told me he was about to piss himself and the other had to call his friend in the middle of the night to tell him about this situation. Then the one that was laughing says to my friend in broken English. "I clean my shoes with Budweiser when I step in dog shit"         

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 41):

There is a limit in some states. For example click on link above for Utah. Its 3.2% by weight, so probably around 3.8-4.0% real alcohol content. So youre already buying pisswater, but now you buy a 6 pack in Utah which really equates to the same amount of alcohol as 5 beers in say Florida.

Let me say this. if you just went to a store with me and bought just any old American beer I would bet you even if you arent a drunkard Polak like me there is no way you would actually get drunk on it. Ive experimented once with my Ukrainian friend whom I hang out with from time to time with Budweiser and Miller Draft where I just went to the store with him and we bought something like 60 beers to see if we could get drunk. Bit woozy and tipsy at beer maybe 18-20 but it never even touched any level of drunkness through that whole 60 brews. There is one good positive, you dont get a hangover because its about as strong as a liquer filled chocolate.

The night ended the next morning when we tried to build a freestanding Miller tower.

Those green bottles on the floor, yea thats Tsingtao. $6.69 at Publix for a six pack. $1.30 below anything else that is half decent. My passion for beer is so great that Ill even support the communist brewery before I willingly buy mass brand American again.

Therefore the argument for Americans that its just cheaper to get drunk on cheap beer is a strange one to me, because you cant even get drunk on it in the first place. Honestly, its just better to go and buy womanly Smirnoff Ice or a Bacardi Breezer because for one it tastes better, and for 2 the womans drink in America has more god damn alcohol!

I highly recommend Zywiec btw:

Hmm...Must have been a Champions League matchday because I remember taking down that whole row in one sitting  rotfl 

[Edited 2008-09-18 02:27:24]

Dougloid

Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:33 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 42):
Then the one that was laughing says to my friend in broken English. "I clean my shoes with Budweiser when I step in dog shit"     

The greater part of wisdom is to avoid stepping in dog shit in the first place, don't you think?

falstaff

Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:24 pm

I'll only sponsor card carrying members of the GOP

They don't give us cards.

Well first of all, you cant even go to the damn mini-mart and buy beer much less Vodka at 4am in the morning in America

Depends on where you are. There are plenty of "blind pigs: in the D to get hammered 24-7.

piss poor mass brewed beer

Keep in mind a lot of European brews are brewed by huge companies in massive brewers. Hell, InBev is the largest brewer in the world. A lot of snobby European beer is mass brewed. I meet people all the time that drink crap like Stella and think they they are drinking something made in some small traditional brewery in Belguim. Nothing could be further from the truth. InBev does a good job hiding their size. A lot of American brewers do the same thing. There are many "craft beers" brewed in large brewies and on a massive scale.

No, but some state do regulate it, but not very many

The night ended the next morning when we tried to build a freestanding Miller tower.

I see you are drinking light beer so you can't complain. If you want something stronger just go and get something stronger. There are hundreds of choices, by US and foreign brewers.

60 brews

I find it difficult to imagine that a person could consume around six gallons of any liquid in one sitting.

so probably around 3.8-4.0% real alcohol content.

A lot of beers in the UK are less than 5%. So it isn't just the Americans.

Must have been a Champions League matchday because I remember taking down that whole row in one sitting

Not much of a challenge. Only 16 beers.

Smirnoff Ice or a Bacardi Breezer because for one it tastes better

Both of which are mass produced in American and Canadian Brewery.

Ill even support the communist brewery before I willingly buy mass brand American again.

How is mass produced commie beer better than mass produced American beer?

there is no way you would actually get drunk on it

Tell that to the cop who pulls you over after drinking ten American beers and see what he says. Lets see if I drink some German beer that is 5% and and I drink American beer that is 5% I should be just as drunk if I drink the same amount. It isn't the the Germans of some sort of special drunkenness ingredient.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:57 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 35):
Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 34):
Well, I don't see a sex change in your future but maybe you'll have a revelation and come to the dark side by next year.

The likelyhood of me becoming a Republican is as likely as me getting a sex change.

Hmmm....looks like you might be out of luck then 'Fly. If you want to join me and SkyGirl next year, you'll have to suck it up and pay the regular one-day ticket price.  silly  Then again, I'm sure we could work something out to help you get in for free, such as making you wear one of my "I'm obviously a Republican" t-shirts to the park that day.  wink 

Nah, I'm just kidding - if you came down out to Florida to join us, I'd gladly sponsor you into the park for free.  Smile After all money saved at the park means having more money available for buying booze that night after we leave the park and can't get it for free anymore.  biggrin 

Superfly

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:00 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 44):

No, but some state do regulate it, but not very many

I think Utah is the only state that limits the amount of alcohol in beer.
Bring back the Concorde

LOT767-300ER

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:44 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 43):
The greater part of wisdom is to avoid stepping in dog shit in the first place, don't you think?

Have you ever been to a city park in Central or Eastern Europe? If you would have you wouldnt be asking me such a question.

Depends on where you are. There are plenty of "blind pigs: in the D to get hammered 24-7.

All I am saying is that you cant just go to a grocery store and buy alcohol whenever you damn please.

Keep in mind a lot of European brews are brewed by huge companies in massive brewers. Hell, InBev is the largest brewer in the world. A lot of snobby European beer is mass brewed. I meet people all the time that drink crap like Stella and think they they are drinking something made in some small traditional brewery in Belguim. Nothing could be further from the truth. InBev does a good job hiding their size. A lot of American brewers do the same thing. There are many "craft beers" brewed in large brewies and on a massive scale.

First off, what is wrong with Stella? Sure it is not the best but Its a decent beer that you can get almost anywhere. The last sentence makes absolutely no sense, I dont know what craft beers you are talking about.

Not much of a challenge. Only 16 beers.

Right, im pretty sure youd be drunk if you drank 16 half liter Zywiec in such a short while.

I see you are drinking light beer so you can't complain. If you want something stronger just go and get something stronger. There are hundreds of choices, by US and foreign brewers.

What light beer? It was just regular old MGD. BTW The whole idea was to see if you can get drunk on American pisswater. Why are you telling me that I can get something stronger? What are you going to tell me next... that the sky is blue?

Both of which are mass produced in American and Canadian Brewery.

Whats your point?

How is mass produced commie beer better than mass produced American beer?

Because Tsingtao taste like piss combined with water. And Im not going to drive 10 miles just to buy some god damn microbrew for $9 a sixer.

Tell that to the cop who pulls you over after drinking ten American beers and see what he says. Lets see if I drink some German beer that is 5% and and I drink American beer that is 5% I should be just as drunk if I drink the same amount. It isn't the the Germans of some sort of special drunkenness ingredient.

rotfl   rotfl 

My statement was solely based on the fact that you dont feel drunk. Are you suggesting that if you have 2 different alcoholic drinks of the same % they will make you feel the same and hit you at the same time? BS.

Wake me up when any American pansy Microbrew can even touch X-Beer 32 or 33 made by Minipivovar U Med. 11.8/12.6 ABV and a couple of bottles of this stuff and your hammered.

You can argue all you want that theres good microbrews and youre right theres good microbrews everywhere. However, somehow to every restaurant I go to, almost every Americans house, party, event etc. the choice is one kind of piss or another kind of piss.

Dougloid

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:47 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 47):
Quoting Dougloid (Reply 43):

Have you ever been to a city park in Central or Eastern Europe? If you would have you wouldnt be asking me such a question.

All the more reason to avoid such places if that's all they think of the notion of sanitation.

Here attach the big red SUSPICIONS CONFIRMED stamp.

My neighbor across the back yard lets his dog out to crap in the yard and I'm damn glad there's a pretty solid fence between us. When the sun's out and you get close to the fence line it smells awful.

Superfly

Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:02 pm

First off, what is wrong with Stella?

spit 

You lost a lot of stripes over that question! Your man card is about to be revoked!  Silly
I'd rather drink Snapple or Hawaiian Punch than Stella. That has to be the weakest beer on the planet. We've gone drinking together and you know I like a well crafted beer such as a fine domestic microbrew as well as some imported beers. I had a lady friend that only drank Stella because it didn't taste like other beers. She was not a beer drinker and was always worried about losing her figure. She was a slim gal and only drank Stella because that was probably the only beer that wouldn't mess up her figure.
Stella is the girliest of the girlie beers. That stuff is waaaaaaay too expensive for what it is. It should be priced the same as bottled water.

It was just regular old MGD. BTW The whole idea was to see if you can get drunk on American pisswater. Why are you telling me that I can get something stronger?

Try drinking Steel Reserve.
That is brewed just 90 miles northeast of where you live in good ol' Milwaukee.  Cool
At 8.1% alcohol for only $1.99 for a 40 ounce, you can't find a better bang for the buck in terms of beer. That ain't no "pisswater" or "girlie" beer at all.

I would not question Falstaff's knowledge of beers. He is a internationally acclaimed beer expert and has been hosted by Brewmasters throughout North America and Europe. Falstaff even has his own internationally distributed publication on beer. I am really impressed with his knowledge of the industry and the history.
Even though Falstaff's politics can be a bit misguided,  Wink his knowledge of the brewing industry is solid.

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 37):
I'm so proud to be British, and we are also world leaders in drunken public disorder!!!

I think the Russians have you guys beat.
British drink a lot of beer. Russians drink lots of vodka. Who do you think will be more drunk? The difference is that British travel a lot more than Russians.
Bring back the Concorde