BlueElephant
Topic Author

Fifth Gear Vs. Top Gear

Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:56 am

I know some people who prefer one over the other..but Watch both..

I watch both, but I can get over it if I miss one Fifth Gear episode...But I have to watch Top Gear...Something so different yet so fun with the May, Clarkson and Hammond, over Tiff and Vikki (although, she's really easy on the eyes  Smile)

Any thoughts?...Which are your favourite clips from either show

One of my favourites...British Leyland...

Part 1 of 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uzdkzhzar0

ajd1992

RE: Fifth Gear Vs. Top Gear

Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:37 am

My favourite clips are pretty much all 110+ episodes. I love Top Gear, and I get withdrawals when it isn't on Big grin

Fifth Gear is really crap, i don't find it interesting purely because It's not funny or anywhere near as interesting.

Kent350787

Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:03 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 1):
Fifth Gear is really crap, i don't find it interesting purely because It's not funny or anywhere near as interesting.

How can you dis VBH in that way!!!!

We don't get fifth gear here in Oz (well, maybe on cable), but Top Gear is a must watch, even for my wife and many women of my aquaintance. But it's more a fun program about cars than a car program.

Could always be improved by the addition of VBH though.....

Kent

scrubbsywg

Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:09 am

top gear is definitely the better of the two, but fifth gear is still pretty fun to watch when it is on. However, i dont go out of my way to get the episodes for fifth gear, while i have a ritual on sunday evenings when i download the latest top gear episodes.

davehammer

Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:06 am

Top Gear all the way. The interaction between those three is brilliant and makes the show brilliantly enjoyable.

petertenthije

Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:51 am

Top gear is a lot more fun. Besides, Tiff's voice ruins fifth gear completely. When he leaves genuinely I think the program will be a lot better! Or maybe give him a "Stig" role where he can drive as long as he shuts up.
Attamottamotta!

metroliner

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:45 am

The camera work on Top Gear is also so much more pro, don't you think? They do all sorts of kooky things to keep people interested - after all, a show that's just about cars would not appeal to everyone visually, but one that's got plenty of eye candy...  Smile

Fifth Gear is a mere knock-off. Always has been, always will be.

Quoting Petertenthije (Reply 5):
Tiff's voice ruins fifth gear completely.

yes 

You do just want to get up and slap him.
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

lapper

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:09 pm

Always makes me laugh during the challenges when Hammond and Clarkson always crash into May's car when pulling up.

andz

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:16 pm

Tiff is a pain, I will watch 5th Gear if there is nothing else on. Having said that, at least 5th Gear has the occasional bike feature which I have never seen on Top Gear. Unfortunately we just seem to get old re-runs of Top Gear here but still worth watching.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

BlueElephant
Topic Author

Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:39 pm

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 2):
We don't get fifth gear here in Oz (well, maybe on cable), but Top Gear is a must watch, even for my wife and many women of my aquaintance. But it's more a fun program about cars than a car program.

Top Gear's coming to Australia, I'm kinda interested to see it. Do the people down under think it'll be better than the British one?

I think they're making a Top Gear US too...and I gotta say...I think I will favour the British one, I hope they don't take it off BBC if Top Gear US starts.

flyboysp

Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:50 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 9):
Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 2):

Top Gear's coming to Australia, I'm kinda interested to see it. Do the people down under think it'll be better than the British one?

I think they're making a Top Gear US too...and I gotta say...I think I will favour the British one, I hope they don't take it off BBC if Top Gear US starts.

I dont think that the Australian version will match up to the British. I want it to succeed, but i just dont see it happening It's the British sense of humour which gives it it's edge.

The hosts for Australian Top Gear are Warren Brown, Charlie Cox and Steve Pizzati. I only know of one of them, but that could be me a result of my age (or lack thereof).
#proudtobeabulldog

Daleaholic

Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:13 pm

Top Gear all the way. The programme has cars, comedy, guests and news... what more could you want? Oh yeah, Clarkson, Hammond and May!!! Big grin

Fifth Gear is extremely boring...  bored 
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

ltbewr

Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:29 pm

I live in the USA. I did see a few episodes of Fifth Gear a few years ago (on the Speed Channel). To me it is the more serious show. For serveral months now, we have gotten recent and past episodes of Top Gear on BBC America channel here. Top Gear is more about a bunch of silly blokes who like to trash long dead British cars and are a bit over the top, condensending and even offensive in some of their segments. I found their trip in America done last year to be particulry offensive as to their beheavior. SInce Top Gear is on Monday Nights here in the USA, and it is American Football season with a Monday Night game, guess I won't be seeing any episodes until January.

Leezyjet

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:44 pm

Prefer Top Gear, but will happily watch 5th Gear.

Top Gear is good for the comedy and watching them thrash the expensive cars around, however I think 5th Gear do a better job of reviewing the cars, and have more regular cars on it that viewers are more likely to be able to afford.

I also like the crash tests that 5th Gear do too, although the last one I saw with a convertable flipping over was a bit unrealistic, shooting it about 6 feet into the air up a ramp and watching it crash down and squash the occupants - not exactly the more common slower roll over scenario starting on the ground rather than in the air. Even a hard top car would have crushed during that test !!.

VBH is quite nice until she opens her gob - she has a "funny" mouth when she talks, and that screeching she does when she gets excited - Arghh !!! SHUT UP !!.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

GDB

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:53 pm

LTBEWR, You have to consider that Top Gear takes the piss out of everyone, certainly the UK and the presenters even more so.

I'm not interested in cars, so no to 5th Gear and yes to Top Gear, which is funnier than most so called comedies.

BlueElephant
Topic Author

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:19 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 14):
LTBEWR, You have to consider that Top Gear takes the piss out of everyone, certainly the UK and the presenters even more so.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 12):
I found their trip in America done last year to be particulry offensive as to their beheavior.

Gotta agree with GDB...They really do just hate on everyone...every car company, every company and every type of person...especially the UK Government.

So I wouldn't call it offensive, just another type of person they're mocking.

Kiwirob

Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:01 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 9):

There is no way the knockoffs will match the original, Top Gear is Clarkson, without Clarkson you wouldn't have a show.

Top Gear is more about a bunch of silly blokes who like to trash long dead British cars and are a bit over the top, condensending and even offensive in some of their segments. I found their trip in America done last year to be particulry offensive as to their beheavior.

You probabaly don't understand British humour, not a lot of Americans do, witness the sad US version of The Office, compared to the utterly brilliant UK original.

Bongodog1964

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:04 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 8):
Unfortunately we just seem to get old re-runs of Top Gear here but still worth watching.

Here in the Uk we have one channel by the name of Dave which seems to show little else

PlymSpotter

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:21 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 17):
Here in the Uk we have one channel by the name of Dave which seems to show little else

You've got a 25% chance basically; it'll either be TG, HIGNFY, QI or MTW - all of which are great!

That said, Top Gear is starting to lose it for me, so much of the show is 'put on' and it's increasingly obvious; they are turning more towards gaining cheap laughs by doing stupid things than creating a good entertainment show about fast cars with a touch of comedy. Perhaps I'm just getting  old , but puts a damper on the show I think.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Zkpilot

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:34 am

I found their trip in America done last year to be particulry offensive as to their beheavior.

Judging by your spelling I can see why....  Yeah sure

Remember they take the piss out of everyone. But you have got to admit that American Cars are not in the same league as many other cars... hence why Americans have been flocking to Japanese and European cars over the last 20 years in particular and why the Big 4 are going bust or really struggling.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

Francoflier

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:19 am

Top Gear is definitely the most entertaining.

5th Gear might be slightly more serious in it's approach to car reviewing, but honestly, if you're looking for a car review because you're about to buy one, you're better off looking for it in a specialized magazine. TV shows are for entertainment.

The proof of that is that recently 5th Gear has taken a turn towards Top Gear. It is trying hard to do the same, they even have copied a lot of ideas from Top Gear.
And I don't like Vikki Butler, she's a cheeky b!@t*#.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 18):
so much of the show is 'put on' and it's increasingly obvious

I think that's true. The show's always been heavily scripted, but they've gone a bit overboard in a try to surpass themselves. It just shows too much now.

When is the next season starting?

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 15):
So I wouldn't call it offensive, just another type of person they're mocking.

True, everybody gets it, they're also very much into self derision.

The one thing I can't stand (and 5th Gear does the same) is how they present every British car they get their hands on as the beginning and end of all things on wheels... Even though they're not technically any better than the others they try and, technically, there aren't any British cars anymore, apart from a few relatively unknown niche manufacturers...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

khi747

Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:48 am

Comparing Top Gear to Fifth Gear is like comparing the inflight service onboard Singapore Airlines F class to a domestic flight on Aeroflot! There is no match frankly...

Just as an aviation enthusiast wouldnt miss out on flying any airline or airplane,as a car person i would gladly watch Fifth Gear as well but watching Top Gear is an event.Even people like my father and wife,who otherwise arent really bothered about cars thoroughly enjoy T.G

Its something you look forward to,something that makes you fall out of your couch laughing while informing you only about the cars we care about,all at the same time mesmerising us with cinematography and camera work which is second to none.

Clarkson,Hamster(Hammond) and May compliment each other phenomenally well and its a dream team.The 5th gear team is quite corny actually and it doesnt offer much entertainment if you arent a car freak.

ThePRGuy

Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:07 am

The one good thing about fifth gear is Tim Shaw - what a hilarious guy
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

HowSwedeitis

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:10 am

*Sigh* What's next? "Overdrive" ? sarcastic  Oh, and I actually prefer Top Gear.  Wink

-HSII
Heja Sverige!!

Kiwirob

Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:29 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 19):
why the Big 4 are going bust

I know about GM, Ford and Chrysler, who is the mysterious number 4 your are referring to?

egmcman

Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:03 pm

I prefer TG . TG appeals to wider audience because it does not take it self seriously and the personalities of the presenters. Clarkson says it like it is and is never short of anything to say.

Fifth Gear is ok in the most recent series it tried to lighten up which made it more watchable.

fbgdavidson

Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:14 pm

Quoting Metroliner (Reply 6):
Fifth Gear is a mere knock-off. Always has been, always will be.

Err, Fifth Gear has been around longer than Top Gear in the current, studio based format.

Fifth Gear is the magazine style show Top Gear was before it was taken off the air in 2000 or 2001.

I still really enjoy Top Gear and it is one of my favourite shows but it is becoming a bit more forced and obvious with things like the camping trip gone wrong and other shenanigans. Still entertaining though!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Stretch 8

Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:11 am

I love Top Gear, seen every Monday evening here in the colonies on BBC America. One complaint: Clarkson comes across as a bit too anti-American, May also.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Cadet57

Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:33 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 16):
You probabaly don't understand British humour, not a lot of Americans do, witness the sad US version of The Office, compared to the utterly brilliant UK original.

Nice job being condescending... Having watched the UK and American versions of the office, I DO like the BBC version more. But to americans the American one is funny and popular. Different cultures

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 19):
Remember they take the piss out of everyone.

So if they do a segment basing NZ, you wont cry about it?

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 24):
I know about GM, Ford and Chrysler, who is the mysterious number 4 your are referring to?

What detriot did is bought our Yugo and put all their debt into them and presto, Big #4  Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Boeing74741R

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Top Gear all the way for me. Long live Clarkson, Hammond and May!

Fifth Gear is a load of rubbish. It's based on the old format of Top Gear and you can tell that they are trying to mimic Top Gear in too many ways. Verdict: cheap knock-off.

GDB

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:35 pm

Quoting Stretch 8 (Reply 27):
Clarkson comes across as a bit too anti-American, May also.

When Clarkson's not being anti British - or parts and aspects of Britain he does not like, which is a lot of it.
Now the French...................

More seriously, when he's covering something he really admires in the US, machines like the Space Shuttle, the SR-71, or the F-15 and F-22 fighters, or the 747 and how it's built, it's a different matter. From what I've seen at least.
But not American cars, you'll not win him over with them, ever!

But at the end of the day he's made a great success of being a certain type or persona on TV, in the media generally, an exaggerated version of himself.
Which his two colleagues on Top Gear noticeably do as well.

I've have seen him do some very passionate reports, with little humour and no flippancy, in docs covering the history of the gallantry award, the Victoria Cross (which his late father in law won in WW2), the incredible seaborne raid on St.Nazaire in the same conflict.
And he's very involved in charities aiding servicemen of the current conflicts, his genuine passion is very apparent here too.

egmcman

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:52 pm

Quoting Stretch 8 (Reply 27):
One complaint: Clarkson comes across as a bit too anti-American, May also.

The BBC encouraged him to be honest say if he beleived a car was bad to say that. Toyota didn't let them test their cars a for several years because of his coments on one of their cars

He is opinionated and that is why people like him.

He will be the first to admit some of the cars over the years they liked have been not particularly huge sellers. He dislikes caravans and that has become more popular.

TristarAtLCA

Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:59 pm

Top Gear all the way for me. I am not bothered if I miss FG, but I must watch TG. The only time I have ever used an air phone was to remind the other half to record it on a delayed flight.

I must add though, I can't usually stand girls who annoyingly squeal, but when VBH does it behind the wheel of a car I just don't mind at all  Big grin
If you was right..................I'd agree with you

andz

Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:27 am

It is currently 5:24am Sunday morning and I am watching the second of three in a row Top Gear on BBC, I had to get out of bed and come and watch in the lounge because I was laughing so much and dragon lady is trying to sleep  Smile
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Zkpilot

Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:30 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 24):
who is the mysterious number 4 your are referring to?

That should say the Big 3...  Wink

Also I didn't cast my vote.... Top Gear for me.

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 20):
And I don't like Vikki Butler, she's a cheeky b!@t*#.

I wouldn't turn her down
signed 99% of A.net.  Wink
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

sudden

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:11 pm

TG for me all the way. Fifth Gear is just embarrasing. And it got even worse when Jason Plato joined as he deserves better then hanging around with wannabee's!

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 29):
It's based on the old format of Top Gear and you can tell that they are trying to mimic Top Gear in too many ways. Verdict: cheap knock-off

Don't forget, Tiff was on Top Gear earlier on, and he knows very well which show attracts the most audience. Even so, Fifth Gear is the worst copy cat there is!

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!