deaphen

If You Were An A.netter And Crashing

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:43 am

What would you do?

I would probably scream, piss in my pants and then i would realise that i was going to die and then start taking photos.

Grim subject, most of you will flame me, but my question is, what would you do if you were crashing and knew you were going to die?

Regards
Nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

joeycapps

RE: If You Were An A.netter And Crashing

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:46 am

Make peace with god, and if I was flying BetaBlue, probably check my e-mail on my Blackberry? At least if I had enough time to send a text letting someone know I love them!

TN757Flyer

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:50 am

Being the good A.netter that I am, I would start a lively debate over whether Airbus or Boeing made the better aircraft, followed by a guessing game on when Northwest will retire it's DC9's, and wrap it up with as many of those little bottles of liquor I can consume, assuming I have correct change and the FA's are not too surly to serve them to me.  Just trying to the lighten the mood here guys! The first two topics I read when logging on were about crashes. No offense intended.  

[Edited 2008-09-17 17:56:54]

PlanesNTrains

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:51 am

I have only thought about this topic casually, and it usually revolves around the thought of being with my family - especially my children - and having such a scenario play out.

Last night, for whatever reason I ended up reading much of the NTSB report on the crash of that Air Midwest B1900 several years ago. It had mentioned that a 12 year old was on board, and in the final moments of the crash, the CVR picks up the word "Daddy" - I literally had to look away from the computer and my eyes ran a few tears. I could just imagine how that poor guy must have felt knowing that his child was going to die while in his care. To me, that makes me not even want to think about what I would do or how I would act. It seems irrelevant when something like that happens.

-Dave
-Dave

PanAm747

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:58 am

I had a rough landing once where for a split second I thought the plane was going to get slammed down onto the runway and break into pieces. This is what went through my mind:

"Okay, after the plane comes to a stop, undo the seatbelt, and you'll probably want to head to the back exit (I was in the third to last row of the plane). Leave your things, get out, and run if you can...oh wait, dad is with you - you're going to have to take care of him as well!"

I am glad that in those moments of terror and panic I remembered the in-flight briefing that says, "remember, the nearest exit may be behind you!!"

Now, in a REAL crash, I would probably pee my pants (and worse), scream, and then run around like panicky idiot #3 in ever 1970's airplane disaster movies.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

whappeh

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:07 am

Take photos and hope A) I survive and can post them on Anet or B) Hope the camera or some form of the memory card survives, and people can see them.

That is the truth, but I'm a large fatalist.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

Evan767

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:20 am

I would probably be so nervous I couldn't move. Death is my biggest fear.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

sf3sce

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:31 am

I was in a crash during flight instruction in April....

i posted it on the wrose airplane nightmears if you would like to read it and see the pictures of the aftermath of the AA1B

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...eneral_aviation/read.main/4147187/
jet. its a must.

PlymSpotter

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:42 am

I wouldn't be thinking 'OMG I'm going to die' for a start, instead I'd be thinking positive and just hoping that somehow I can survive. But, if there was time, I'd write a short note to my family and friends, take a picture of it, take a picture of myself looking as happy as I can, and then wrap the camera card in the note, and put it somewhere in my clothing or bag that I think has the best chance of surviving an impact and possible fire.

I'm not afraid of death; when it happens, it happens - because it is the only thing which is inevitable, and I'm not going to spend my life dwelling on it.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

BOStonsox

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:47 am

Quoting TN757Flyer (Reply 2):
Being the good A.netter that I am, I would start a lively debate over whether Airbus or Boeing made the better aircraft

I imagine a conversation going like this:
"So which do you think is better? Boeing or Airbus?"
"Definately Boeing. Airbus scares me. Boeings are so safe, I can't imagine one crashing!"
"Well, you don't have to imagine it, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN NOW!"
2013 World Series Champions!

skyyblue

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:49 am

Quoting JOEYCAPPS (Reply 1):
Make peace with god, and if I was flying BetaBlue, probably check my e-mail on my Blackberry? At least if I had enough time to send a text letting someone know I love them!

LMFAO. LMFAO. TRUE!!!

I would pray to survive and hope my camera survived to show pictures to all of you!

VonRichtofen

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:52 am

I would take a bunch of pictures incase the memory card survives, then have my next of kin upload them to a.net only to be rejected for "bad motiv".

SXDFC

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:54 am

This is an interesting subject, I would at least try to take as many pics as possible, my camera has a video feature on it so I would do that as well, if it was a crash and I well went which ever way the good lord takes me, I would hope that someone would find out I filmed the crash and it serve as evidence of what ever caused the crash. If it was a runway overrun, I would simply mail it to the airline of which was involved in the accident as well as inform anyone on the scene I got a video of it. However during these type of events human beings tend to do things they don't think of doing ( crying,screaming,etc) not sure how to word that so sorry if it sounds wrong.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

NorthstarBoy

Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:01 am

I used to think about this when i was younger. Until i took my canary islands cruise in 1998, wherein i had to sail in the wake of a hurricane for 3 days (think 40 foot swells) i had an irrational fear of turbulence. After all, an 875,000 pound machine full of passengers, furniture, baggage and fuel, isn't supposed to be able to get off the ground, at least that's how i viewed it.

my number one thing would be to get on an airfone (if they even still exist anymore) call my mother and tell her i love her, so that when she was notified of the crash, the'd remember that my last words were "mom, i love you."

other than that, i'd get up, run to the back of the plane, and do what Leo DiCaprio did in titanic, put my arms out and ride her down. "woo hoo, ride em cowboy!"
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

UltimateDelta

Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:03 am

I'd take pictures and start the official thread about the accident!  Wink
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

Burj

Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:54 am

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 5):
Take photos and hope A) I survive and can post them on Anet or B) Hope the camera or some form of the memory card survives, and people can see them.

That is the truth, but I'm a large fatalist.

I wouldn't take pictures, but I would start recording video with my Treo because it would give me a chance to record (audio) a good by message and also might record something useful (video) for the crash investigators.

It struck me after the asian Tsunami how many digital cameras and such they found where the solid state memory (SD cards, etc) were STILL intact and able to be read.

tdscanuck

Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:00 am

Quoting Deaphen (Thread starter):
what would you do if you were crashing and knew you were going to die?

Figure out exactly how I'm going to get out of the plane in the unlikely event of survival, then start writing notes to my wife and kids.

Tom.

malaysia

Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:04 am

I would be the Sole Survivor
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

YXXMIKE

Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:28 am

Great A.Nut subject, I really do hope that I'm sitting near the back of the plane as that's usually the section in most terrible plane crashes that is still together, take a whole bunch of photo's and double check to see if the FA is looking while I start to steal the mini vodka's out of the bar. I will then curse at how dodgy the peanuts are and then take some more pictures and then quickly revert back to religion and hope for the best. If the worse is too happen my family will request to see my camera and have the photo's and hopefully the video processed on airliners.

And yes, I am taking the complete piss about the back section of the plane. I just stole that from a comedian (I think it was George Carlin, RIP, or someone else?)

ACDC8

Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:44 am

Honestly, I think the only thing that I'd be worried about is not making my connecting flight .... seriously .... Big grin
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

tcfc424

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:06 am

Okay, so mine will be corny...I am an airline employee and a former fireman...I would be looking to create order, and personally, if not collaboratively, be looking at a game plan for evacuation. I would be rationalizing everything, after, of course a short prayer, and putting my mind to work.

I think it would be terrible for the knowledge to be there for a long time...I would rather it be quick. I also think the ideas of taking pictures and videos are valid in this day in age...especially the photos a.netters post...wings, flaps, engines, etc. Videos of the activity onboard could also help in training.

It would be a chaotic situation likely, but I would be optomistic that the DC-9's will remain in the NW fleet forever, Airbus and Boeing will trade bragging rights yearly, and United and Delta will continue to have more liveries between themselves than all of the world's air carriers...COMBINED!

Seriously though, I would be foremost concerned with safety, both my own and those around me. I would be analyzing way to much and planning too much. I'm a Sagittarius and spontanaeity is my life, but when it comes to serious matters, I need a plan...it gives a basis, and being the know-it-all that I am, I would be reciting the safety cards and announcements to everyone in hopes that if I didn't survive, someone might because of my efforts.

F9Animal

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:27 am

I was on a plane that had an engine shutdown out of GJT. I have to be honest, I thought I was a goner for sure. I then felt this feeling of hopelessness, and warmth (no I was not peeing myself). I just felt kind of at peace for a moment, and almost as if I was ready to go. I did pray, out loud, and in the mind. Needless to say, when the wheels touched the ground, I looked like a total idiot.

I have faced death a few times, and each time I felt that moment of hopelessness and warmth. Almost a feeling of just starting to hold your breath. It is weird, because you don't recall the sounds around you, or anything. Like a numb feeling.

If it was time to go, I would have no choice but to relax and let it be. Take that deep breath and pray to whatever and whoever you need to at that point. Life is short, and I am learning this more and more everyday.

We all fight so hard to live everyday. It is hard to fight our death though. Kind of weird when you type it.

[Edited 2008-09-17 23:28:47]
I Am A Different Animal!!

osiris30

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:46 am

I would spend my last moments figuring out how NOT to die, and how to help as many people around me NOT die as well. Point out where the emergency exits are, if I'm over wing make sure whoever is in that seat knows EXACTLY how to open that exit, that sort of thing.

Then I would run the mental checklist.. impact, release seat belt, stand, turn, x paces, etc., etc., etc.

If I had my kids/wife with me I would make sure they were involved in the checklist (both as items as well as the prepartion of, so they had their own).

Once all that was done I would offer whatever assistance I could to whoever needed it, for as long as I could deliver it.

I would also be looking to see if there's any empty seats in the back  Wink

Unlike F9Animal above me, whenever I have faced death (and I have had my brushes) I always found time stretched out incomprehensably as if my brain was in fast forward mode. (When a large wave drags you and your board under that time to get back to the surface, with the current fighting against you seems like HOURS).
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

YLWbased

Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:00 am

when i was 14 (UM), i was in an Dash-8 with it's left engine on fire. the FA gave us all a piece of paper to write our will. But i end up drawing snoppy on that piece of paper.

YLWbased
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

TSS

Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:14 am

Quoting YXXMIKE (Reply 18):
I really do hope that I'm sitting near the back of the plane as that's usually the section in most terrible plane crashes that is still together,

Quoting YXXMIKE (Reply 18):
And yes, I am taking the complete piss about the back section of the plane. I just stole that from a comedian (I think it was George Carlin, RIP, or someone else?)

Many a truth has been spoken in jest. In most of the aircraft wreckage photos I've seen, the tail section and the section of the fuselage just above the wings are in fact the only sections that are left relatively intact and are still recognizable as part of an aircraft. On just about every flight I've taken, I've been seated in one or the other of these areas and I'm okay with that.

Back to the topic at hand, I'd brace myself for impact as best I could and hope I made it through. One of the advantages of air travel is that in the event of a crash there's very little of what I call "mangle factor"- that is to say most people involved in air crashes either have their remains spread over a very large area or walk away from the smoking wreckage with just a few scratches.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

BCAL

Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:36 am

First thing that I would probably do is check which are the nearest two exits and count how many rows they are in front/behind me. Other than that there is little I could do, other than pray and hope the flight deck crew can get us all out safely of the mess. If I had a pack of cards or some game handy, I would ask my companion if he or she would play a game with me (and if I had some duty free handy I would probably pour us both a large tipple - cannot let it go to waste) as this would probably be better than just sitting and waiting to find out if I will meet my maker or perhaps write the most-read trip report on a.net.

Well that's my plan in theory but in reality who knows how I would react? I would try my best not to be scared. I had a good life and it was going to end one day anyway.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

ShyFlyer

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:43 pm

What would you do?

I'd head to the nearest lavatory to begin shaving.
I lift things up and put them down.

L410Turbolet

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:47 pm

Would try to write a trip report on a.net hoping someone will post it afterwards.

EWRCabincrew

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:48 pm

Probably think: All this....and the wrong vodka. Big grin
You can't cure stupid

OA260

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:49 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 12):
I would hope that someone would find out I filmed the crash and it serve as evidence of what ever caused the crash. If it was a runway overrun, I would simply mail it to the airline of which was involved in the accident as well as inform anyone on the scene I got a video of it.

Very good idea. Maybe it would help the investigation.

Dougloid

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:53 pm

What would you do?

I would probably scream, piss in my pants and then i would realise that i was going to die and then start taking photos.

Back a number of years ago a Korean Airlines 747 inbound to Los Angeles was caught in a sudden downdraft-although that's not really the correct term.

Well, the crew wrenched the big ass bird out of its uncontrolled descent with seconds to spare before splashdown and they continued on to land, albeit with some structural damage.

One passenger was interviewed and asked this same question.

He said, more or less, "We thought we were all going to die. So I decided my last moments would be happy ones. They'd handed out snacks a while before and I hadn't eaten mine, so I ate my cookie and drank my milk."
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

stasisLAX

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:57 pm

Send an pointed email from my Blackberry to the airline's customer service department, demanding a full and prompt refund of my airfare! Oh yeah, and  pray 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

yfbflyer

Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:43 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 26):
I'd head to the nearest lavatory to begin shaving.

lavatory check
shaving ?? Confused
last chance for mile high club dubble check  bigthumbsup 

Type-Rated

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:51 pm

I think that most a.netters would log on and start a thread that speculates on why the plane is crashing. If they are still alive after impact it would be:

Unbuckle seat belt
Search for and gather:
Cameras
ATC Scanners & Associated Antennas
Headphones
Laptop

and make sure you make beeping noises on the way out....
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

af773atmsp

Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:27 am

I would take pictures of me, the plane and passengers so if the memory chip survives there will be possibly evidence of the crash. Pray and hope I live. Try to think about happy thoughts of my life and look at the ground and sky still praying. Write a will and say goodbye to everyone I love. And listen to some music on my i Pod. If I survived I would post a trip report on a.net and be very happy I'm alive.
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

aerorobnz

Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:25 am

I would make sure I had my camera and most suitable lens for crash photography around my neck, and I'd be counting the rows to the exit again. I'd designate myself the official photographer for the NTSB investigation and start taking photos of anything and everything I could.

If it was a situation like the AS MD80 nosedive near LAX obviously I'd just be unconscious and it wouldn't really matter. But as long as I was conscious I'd be trying to take photos for posterity.... Wink God plays no part in my life, so I wouldn't need to make peace with a God.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

srbmod

Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Quoting Yfbflyer (Reply 32):
last chance for mile high club dubble check

I'd definitely would be pulling a Fredo myself......

If I'm going out, at least I'll be going out happy........

I'm sure the captain would gladly turn the "no smoking" sign off and tell everyone to "smoke 'em if you got 'em".

skysurfer

Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:40 pm

Aside from crapping my pants, i'd prolly think of my fiancee, all the good times i had and then i'd crave the greasiest, meatiest donner kebab form the local shop when i lived in the UK! Then i'd close my eyes and wonder which one of the many ppl i'd p!ssed off over the years had gotten away with bringing my plane down! heh

Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

ferengi80

Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:45 pm

I would probably put my head between my legs and kiss my ass goodbye! At least, thats what I believe the correct brace procedure to be!
AF1981 LHR-CDG A380-800 10 July 2010 / AF1980 CDG-LHR A380-800 11 July 2010

HapppyLandings

Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:25 pm

Start a thread during the process, and then get flamed for speculating and told by some smart assed A.Netters to wait for the official crash investigation report.

No wireless internet access? Find the nearest good looking pax and try to join the mile high club one more time!  Smile (if there was enough altitude left)