cumulus

Texting Causes More Crashes Than Drunk Driving!

Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:40 am

Research suggest that more accidents are caused by people texting than being the wrong side of a bottle.

How about people who are drunk while texting?  Yeah sure

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7621644.stm
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

airportugal310

RE: Texting Causes More Crashes Than Drunk Driving!

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:32 am

Thats a sure way to meet a guardrail, telephone pole, or another car

Quoting Cumulus (Thread starter):
How about people who are drunk while texting?

I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

cumulus

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:10 pm

Right I'll go and drink 8 pints and try it!!!

andz

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Fools have obviously never heard of predictive text, I never have to look at my phone while texting and driving! Now if I could just figure out how to text while riding my motorcycle....
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

wilco737

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 3):
Now if I could just figure out how to text while riding my motorcycle....

What about speech controlled cell phone? Or just CALL the one you want to text. Sometimes cheaper and you can say A LOT in a very short time  Wink

In Germany it is pretty expensive if you get cought using a cell phone while driving. And you get the famous "points in Flensburg".  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

AirCop

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:24 pm

Cell phone (phone or hands free) while driving research has been done several times with the same results. The driver's reaction time is worst than a intoxicated driver. Texting is even worst since you have to take your eyes off the road, hence several states has passed laws to stop the practice. Never understood why people (females especially) need to call someone as soon as they get into their vehicle.

andz

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:27 pm

Quoting WILCO737 (Reply 4):
Or just CALL the one you want to text

Have you ever tried to use a cell phone while wearing a helmet?  Smile

wilco737

Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:14 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 6):
Have you ever tried to use a cell phone while wearing a helmet? Smile

Yes, those small headseats, which are earplugs with a tiny little small cable  duck 

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

falstaff

Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:59 pm

Research suggest that more accidents are caused by people texting than being the wrong side of a bottle.

Sober drivers kill too. We have spent so much time pounding the drunk drivers kill into people's heads that drivers don't think anything else is bad. I blame it on the anti drinking organizations like MADD (they really want to stop all drinking). because haven't done a thing to promote the fact that any type of distracted is dangerous.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

seb146

Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:03 pm

I admit I have done this. Not for a long time, though. Since I bought my phone with the full QWERTY keyboard, I do not respond to texts until I am at a red light. I used to be able to text without looking at the phone. Washington state has a law in effect about texting while driving. I think that is a very good idea.

Quoting AirCop (Reply 5):
Never understood why people (females especially) need to call someone as soon as they get into their vehicle.

Or people that have to be on the phone at all times. There are stores here that have signs posted on the door to please finish all phone conversations outside. Very good idea!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Gatorman96

Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:53 pm

Seems like texting affects train engineers as well...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/18/train.collision/index.html

USAIRWAYS321

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:45 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 9):
Washington state has a law in effect about texting while driving. I think that is a very good idea.

Talking while driving is illegal in Washington as well. I think it's a dumb law personally, because there are still tons of people who think it's fine to put on makeup, tie their ties, brush teeth, turn around and yell at their kids, etc. while behind the wheel. I'll concede that very little could actually be done to prevent those acts, but if they're legal, why can't I hold my phone?

On the flip side, I work at a cell phone store, and our Bluetooth sales have been through the roof since the hands-free law took effect. It's been good for my commission.

GDB

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:23 pm

Well considering how many stupid, self absorbed c**ts you have to avoid bumping into, just walking down the street, lost as they are in their own little worlds, no surprise here.

The idea that it is safe to talk, let alone text, while at the controls of a 1.5 - 2 ton vehicle at some 10's of mph, is so out there it's beggars belief.
While driving, you have a responsibly, to other road users, pedestrians, your irrelevant chatter should not figure here at all.

This can be reduced, since before 1967, the death toll of our roads from drink driving was awful, when the then Minister Of Transport, one Barbara Castle brought in the breathalyser she got a wave of abuse from, usually men, who deeply resented this attack on their freedom to get pissed up and then drive.
Now, it's socially unacceptable.

So with this newer issue, serious and punitive punishments are needed.
My view is, 1st offence of using a mobile when driving, 5 points on your licence and a fine starting at £1000 - plus court costs.
2nd one, a driving ban of at least 1 year, a fine starting a £2000.
What if they cannot pay? Easy, the car is confiscated and sold, still cannot pay it off, well there goes the flat screen TV, music centre...etc, until the fine is accounted for by their sale.

Cause an accident leading to a death while using a phone? Always the charge should be manslaughter.
Cause an accident leading to injury? The toughest possible charge related to driving.
(And you'll pay the compensation to the victim or their relatives, even if it takes years).

The introduction of the breathalyser in 1967, for drink drivers, hugely reduced accidents caused by this over decades, it worked.

Yes I have a mobile, but when at work, everyone who knows me also knows only to call if it is something serious, not quite as serious, well a text then.
I also manage to master the seemingly impossible (for many others), if at a show, like theatre or comedy, or a meeting, of finding this button that turns the ring to silent/vibrate.

They are technically wonderful things, and very useful, but let's be honest, how many conversations are necessary?
It seems to me that it's a case of 'I have a mobile, so I must use it'.
Why?
I've got pay as you go, I reckon I top it up, by £10-20 a time, about 6-7 times a year.

UAL747

Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:29 pm

It's interesting to me how texting has become so prevalent in society. It seems we do more and more to isolate and detach ourselves from the person who we actually communicate with.

For instance, I met my date last night on facebook. While we go to school, all we've done is texted and chatted online. It made me incredibly nervous to actually meet him last night in real life. It went well, but still....I just sat thinking before our date how detached we have become from everyone, yet our communications between numerous people have increased exponentially.

That being said,

I can totally see why driving and texting is probably worse than drinking and driving. I'd rather someone be drunk on the road driving and worrying like crazy that they are going to get pulled over and focusing so hard on the lines in the road than someone who is texting their friends while driving 65MPH.

I've done it, and I really try not to. It requires you to take your eyes off the road, and one hand off the wheel for an extended period of time. now, if there were a way, and I'm sure someone will find it out, to integrate your cell with your car and place a QWERTY keyboard on your steering wheel, then I'm okay with it.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

austinairport

Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:11 am

Honestly, Folks, If You Cant Text Without Looking, Than Your Not Cool Enough To Text At All. I Mean Honestly.  bigthumbsup 
Whoever said you can do anything you set your mind to has obviously never tried to slam a revolving door!!!

BMIFlyer

Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:21 am

It's taken how long to figure this out??  Yeah sure
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

AirframeAS

Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:34 am

Quoting AirPortugal310 (Reply 1):
Thats a sure way to meet a guardrail, telephone pole, or another car

I almost did that in 2000 on my way to Seattle via Tacoma on WA16...about 2-3 miles to the I-5 interchange. Luckly, I didn't run anyone off the road. I have not texted while driving since, thank goodness!

Quoting AustinAirport (Reply 14):
Honestly, Folks, If You Cant Text Without Looking, Than Your Not Cool Enough To Text At All. I Mean Honestly.

It is not safe to do that, period.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

ACDC8

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:23 am

Even though I text and make calls with my mobile  ashamed  , I do wish that we would ban the damn things from driving. Honestly, if you really pay attention and watch others on the road, the people who are on their phones seem to be in a completely other world and have no clue whats going on around them, or they just don't care.

Mobile phones drivers are the worst offenders for .....

- driving to slow
- going through yellow and red lights
- drifting from lane to lane
- sitting their when the light goes green
- not using signal lights
- not stopping for pedistrians when they are already in the middle of a crosswalk
- going through stop signs
- not yielding to the right of way
- etc., etc.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

cumulus

Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:28 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 6):
Have you ever tried to use a cell phone while wearing a helmet?  

And riding a motorbike with one hand is safe?!

HowSwedeitis

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:15 am

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 11):
I think it's a dumb law personally, because there are still tons of people who think it's fine to put on makeup, tie their ties, brush teeth, turn around and yell at their kids, etc. while behind the wheel. I'll concede that very little could actually be done to prevent those acts, but if they're legal, why can't I hold my phone?

ALL distracted driving should be illegal. Drinking is fine, but makeup, phones, etc. should be illegal.

-HSII
Heja Sverige!!

andz

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:24 am

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 18):

Removing tongue from cheek....

HowSwedeitis

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:29 am

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 18):

How about this guy?:  Wow!

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_vids/text_messaging_motorcycle.htm

-HSII  Smile
Heja Sverige!!

cumulus

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:35 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 20):
Removing tongue from cheek....

Sounds painful with a crash helmet on!

wilco737

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:58 am

Quoting HowSwedeitis (Reply 21):
How about this guy?: Wow!

rotfl   bigthumbsup  That's what I call relaxed  Wink

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

planesarecool

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:38 pm

Quoting Ual747 (Reply 13):
It requires you to take your eyes off the road,

So does looking at the speedo, rev counter, satnav, changing the radio station, putting a CD in etc.

Quoting GDB (Reply 12):
The idea that it is safe to talk, let alone text, while at the controls of a 1.5 - 2 ton vehicle at some 10's of mph, is so out there it's beggars belief.
While driving, you have a responsibly, to other road users, pedestrians, your irrelevant chatter should not figure here at all.

So what, you want to ban having more than one person in a vehicle aswell? How about the radio, all that talking and advertising is enough to cause anybody to crash...  Yeah sure

I'm honestly more concerned about the old biddy in front, doing 33mph in a 60 zone, or the BMW driving three inches from my rear bumper, than somebody who could essentially just be acknowledging a text with "ok".

AirframeAS

Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:50 pm

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 24):
So does looking at the speedo, rev counter...

That is a part of the driving tasks, and it is also required. Getting into the habit of quick glances at this improves your driving ability and maturity. So your points on these two are moot.

...satnav, changing the radio station, putting a CD in

NOT a part of the driving tasks. These things can be done before driving and/or at stoplights when your light is red, but NOT while driving.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

GDB

Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:57 pm

So what, you want to ban having more than one person in a vehicle aswell? How about the radio, all that talking and advertising is enough to cause anybody to crash...  

That's rubbish, as extensive tests have PROVED that operating a mobile while driving, either voice or text, is much more distracting then talking to a pax, or listening to the radio.
People concentrate on using the mobile, acting in a very different way to talking to those next to them, it's human nature, it has been proved.

That's my point, if people are very distracted using a mobile while walking, (and they are, including me, if I'm called on the street I stop), then while driving?

Again, the safety of others is more important that any irrelevant chatter you chose to do.
It's not really about phones, it's really about actually having some responsibility and thought for others.
The lack of this, is the core of this issue.
Hence the need for heavy, punitive punishments.

It worked with drink driving, and the attitudes that opposed the breathalyser and the associated punishments, are exactly the same as those today trying to justify the equal selfish stupidity of operating a phone while driving.

ACDC8

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:56 pm

I love how people compare to talking on a phone to the same as talking to a passenger. Or texting on the phone is the same as looking at your speedometer or changing the radio station.

I'm sorry, but If you're talking to a passenger, although you're not 100% concentrating, you are still pretty aware of your surroundings and situational awareness. How many times have you been talking to a passenger when you get cut off or see something and you break off your conversation by commenting (or swearing - lol!) on what you just saw? Happens all the time. Now, if you're talking on the phone, you have almost completely lost your situational awareness (I believe they've done studies on this), but studies aside, after you hang up the phone, you realize that you can't remember what happened to the last 10 miles you drove down.

don81603

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:57 pm

What gets me is, people calling for making this illegal, and that illegal while driving. In Canada anyway, all these issues are already addressed by current laws in place.

Quote:
The Highway Traffic Act was originally introduced as binding legislation in June 1985. Section 188, under the subsection "Accidents," addresses the issue of careless driving.

The Act defines careless driving as "driving a vehicle on a highway without due care or attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway." The Act further prohibits this type of driving, and, should a motorist be convicted of careless driving, is liable for a fine of up to $5,000. In addition to being fined, the driver may also have their licence suspended for up to one year. If, when they are convicted, the person in question does not hold a valid driver's licence they can be further prohibited from obtaining or holding a licence for another year.

http://www.caa.ca/driventodistraction/what/distracted.html#mb
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

ACDC8

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:07 pm

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 28):
What gets me is, people calling for making this illegal, and that illegal while driving. In Canada anyway, all these issues are already addressed by current laws in place.

No they haven't. Do you honestly think that they RCMP can actually enforce those "laws"? Good luck on that. They can pull you over but unless you're really driving dangerously (on the wrong side of the road, down a one way street, or any other situation where you are actually breaking a law) they can't/won't do anything that will result in a fine.

If you're talking on the phone and drifting from right to left, there is not enough evidence for them to issue a ticket, despite the "law" provided in your link because you have not directly broken a law. In other words, the RCMP does not have enough authority to define what is considered driving with undue care and carelessness.

don81603

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:15 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 29):
No they haven't.

The issues have been addressed. The fact that they are virtually unenforced is another matter altogether. Instead of creating basically the same laws but with stiffer penalties, just increase the current penalties as Ontario did with speeding a while back, and make it worth the officer's time to make the traffic stop.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 29):
If you're talking on the phone and drifting from right to left, there is not enough evidence for them to issue a ticket

Yes you have, as you have displayed driving without due dilligence. Anything that distracts you from your primary responsibility of safely operating a vehicle can be grooped under the without due care and responsibility.

ACDC8

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:35 pm

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 30):
The issues have been addressed. The fact that they are virtually unenforced is another matter altogether. Instead of creating basically the same laws but with stiffer penalties, just increase the current penalties as Ontario did with speeding a while back, and make it worth the officer's time to make the traffic stop.

They have not been addressed. They have been discussed and these laws or rather suggestions are the by-products of these discusssions. BC has new laws about smoking with minors in the vehicle and all children under nine years of age or less then 40lbs must be in a booster seat. However, these laws cannot be enforeced unless the RCMP has other reasons to pull the vehicle over. Driving in the left lane of a highway is also illegal, but it is not enforceable.

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 30):
Yes you have, as you have displayed driving without due dilligence. Anything that distracts you from your primary responsibility of safely operating a vehicle can be grooped under the without due care and responsibility.

The RCMP does not have the authority to make this kind of judgement though. They can pull you over to see whats going on, but they can't fine you because they have no proof that you were being distracted by anything. And even if you got a ticket, it would be thrown out in court faster then the posted speedlimit allows.

This is also one of my biggest gripes with driving in Canada. There are so many grey areas and not enough black and white rules/laws of the road. Its a no wonder why we have such bad drivers and such a high accident rate.

[Edited 2008-09-21 13:52:25]

RobertNL070

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:51 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 12):

Agree with you totally.

Quoting GDB (Reply 12):
Well considering how many stupid, self absorbed c**ts you have to avoid bumping into, just walking down the street, lost as they are in their own little worlds, no surprise here.

If it's any comfort, we have those here too  grumpy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

Arsenal@LHR

Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:40 pm

So does looking at the speedo, rev counter

Looking at the speedo is relevant when driving, texting is not. Changing the radio station takes one flick of a button without having to take your eye off the road.

So what, you want to ban having more than one person in a vehicle aswell? How about the radio, all that talking and advertising is enough to cause anybody to crash...

If you can't communicate with another passenger or change the radio without being distracted and being a danger to other drivers, then you shouldn't be driving.

I'm honestly more concerned about the old biddy in front, doing 33mph in a 60 zone, or the BMW driving three inches from my rear bumper, than somebody who could essentially just be acknowledging a text with "ok".

Really? I bet you wouldn't be saying that if you were rear-ended by a moron who was selfish enough to send irrelevant text messages on their phones. And do you even realise the how much concentration, control and reaction times you lose even if you're just replying with an "OK" message? For a start you need to take your eye off the road to read a text, then to look down and press a button, all this while you get distracted from what you should be doing, DRIVING.
In Arsene we trust!!

planesarecool

Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:28 am

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 33):
Really? I bet you wouldn't be saying that if you were rear-ended by a moron who was selfish enough to send irrelevant text messages on their phones. And do you even realise the how much concentration, control and reaction times you lose even if you're just replying with an "OK" message? For a start you need to take your eye off the road to read a text, then to look down and press a button, all this while you get distracted from what you should be doing, DRIVING.

I've managed to send enough "ok" texts in my time without even taking my eyes of the road - the same way I don't need to look at the gear stick, the volume button etc. Sending an "ok" is no different to continuously changing the radio station to find a song that I like - just pushing a few buttons without needing to look.

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 33):

If you can't communicate with another passenger or change the radio without being distracted and being a danger to other drivers, then you shouldn't be driving.

When did I say I couldn't? The fact is, I had a hands free in my previous car, and have bluetooth in my current car, so have been talking 'on the phone' while driving since I started three years ago, and haven't had so much as a prang. Baring in mind I get 99% of my work over the phone, it is pretty much essential that I'm 'connected' at all times.

Quoting GDB (Reply 26):

Again, the safety of others is more important that any irrelevant chatter you chose to do.

I don't think organizing work is 'irrelevant chatter'. Maybe you only use your phone once a month to call your mother, but some people need to use them more often - and not just to talk about Paris Hilton or Saturday's football results.

Quoting GDB (Reply 26):
It's not really about phones, it's really about actually having some responsibility and thought for others.

So what about he who decides to overtake on a blind bend? Or he who insists on driving at 33mph in a 60 zone, causing a half mile queue? Or he who drives one sixteenth of an inch from one's rear bumper? There are plenty of people out there that don't even need a phone to be a moron, and most of these people won't have a clean license and three years (or however long they've been driving) no claims.

What I would say is that I don't actually text while driving, unless it's something that simply needs acknowledging - because I can do that instantly, and without taking my eyes off the road.

mirrodie

Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:18 am

suggest that more accidents are caused by people texting than being the wrong side of a bottle.

Was a study really needed to point the obvious?

There are far less drunk drivers on the road to begin with. There are thousands more people out there texting and being otherwise distracted whilst sober and driving.

Further, though many of the drunken driving accidents we hear of are usually horrific, I think one will find many more accidents (from tiny bumps/fender benders to the nasty fatal ones) with texting. All it takes is looking down at the phone and hitting the wrong pedal while sitting behind a few cars at a light.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

andz

Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:22 am

I believe that in the UK it is also illegal to eat or drink while you are driving. Anywhere else?

don81603

Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:28 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 36):
I believe that in the UK it is also illegal to eat or drink while you are driving. Anywhere else?

It is illegal in Canada as well, but seldom, if ever enforced. Actually, anything that diverts your attention from driving is illegal. The problem is enforcement. By the same token, anything mounted to your windshield is illegal, including the factory installed rear view mirror. By law it's supposed to be mounted to the dashboard, but the windshield clear law is never enforced.

ACDC8

Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:02 am

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 37):
It is illegal in Canada as well, but seldom, if ever enforced. Actually, anything that diverts your attention from driving is illegal. The problem is enforcement.

Its more interpretation of said laws. There is no clear indication of what is defined as driving with undue care or attention thus there can be no enforcement. Having said that, there are enough clear laws such as driving in the left lane of the highway which is never enforced.

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 37):
. By the same token, anything mounted to your windshield is illegal, including the factory installed rear view mirror. By law it's supposed to be mounted to the dashboard, but the windshield clear law is never enforced.

I've never heard of that one before. If this were an actual law, I seriously doubt that the manufactures would even be allowed to sell their cars without having them modified to meet these requirements. There may be an exemption to this, such as window tinting. But I'm also sure it varies from Province to Province, just like radar detectors or front licence plates.

don81603

Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:47 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 38):
I've never heard of that one before.

It's one of those laws that while still on the books, has not kept up with progress. I searched online, but can't find the actual statute at the moment. I found tons of other stupid laws that fall into the same category though.

http://www.dribbleglass.com/subpages/laws.htm

GDB

RE: Texting Causes More Crashes Than Drunk Driving

Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:04 pm

Planesarecool, you are displaying almost childish 'logic' here, so what that I've done wrong, he's done this!
You are trying to defend what cannot be defended, as for that spurious organising work' BS, well pull over, do it before you start.
The safety of other road users, pedestrians, yourself too, is more important than your brilliant career.
Guess what? The work of work functioned perfectly well, even with those on the move, before mobiles.

The serious distraction of mobile use while driving HAS been proven, it IS illegal, you have no 'right' to do this, you are allowed to drive on the understanding that you, yes even YOU, obey the law. If driving for 3 or 30 years.
If you want to put yourself in danger, that's up to you, but in a car you do not only endanger yourself. Try extreme sports instead.
Hard as it might be to realise, the world does not revolve around you.

With the attitude you display, that is extreme disregard for others, I remain convinced that only increasingly tougher and putative punishments will curb this stupidity.
And they'll come too, since that's what happened with drink driving over time.
Those who objected to this attack on their 'freedom' back then, used exactly the same sort of excuses, had the same self centered attitude, disregard for others.
How many of them not only killed/maimed others, but killed or maimed themselves too?

If you persist, I hope you get caught. How would you rate the your prospects in your job then?
Assuming you don't have a crash beforehand.

planesarecool

Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:14 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 40):
The serious distraction of mobile use while driving HAS been proven, it IS illegal, you have no 'right' to do this, you are allowed to drive on the understanding that you, yes even YOU, obey the law

Well in that case, it's me and probably 95% of other road users that are 'selfish c*nts'. Are you honestly saying you've never strayed over the speed limit? That's breaking the law as well.

And since when are hands-free kits illegal? Afterall, that's what I was talking about, with regards to work etc. Now you'll have your own opinion on them, but you like to refer to what is law, and last time I heard, hands-free kits aren't illegal.

Quoting GDB (Reply 40):
Guess what? The work of work functioned perfectly well, even with those on the move, before mobiles.

Guess what, times move on. I could get around by horse and carriage if I wanted, but I don't.

Quoting GDB (Reply 40):
Try extreme sports instead.

Not sure about this argument. Most extreme sports are only 'dangerous' if you're stupid, or if something goes wrong. If you're comparing sending a two letter text while cruising down an A road with very little other traffic to surfing, then you're saying it's not that dangerous at all, unless I decide to turn around and do it on the back seat, while driving. I've been surfing regularly since I was 11, and I'm not dead yet. On the other hand, I wouldn't last long surfing on Teahupo'o.

Quoting GDB (Reply 40):
Assuming you don't have a crash beforehand.

Well you almost got your wish today - nothing to do with my phone, I didn't even have it on me - just an idiot trying to overtake a caravan when there clearly wasn't enough space on my side of the road. I've never done anything that stupid, phone or no phone.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that texting while driving is illegal, and I shouldn't do it - hence I don't unless I'd say it's necessary. I've probably done it about six times in three years of driving, if that. All I'm saying is that even if nobody were to text while behind the wheel at all, there would still be idiots on the road, there would still be those driving while drunk, angry etc, and there will always be that danger. Unless you're writing an essay, texting while driving isn't going to be the biggest danger out there.

GDB

RE: Texting Causes More Crashes Than Drunk Driving

Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:30 pm

I did not notice 95% of drivers using mobiles today, (thinking of this thread, I did look).
Agreed it's too widespread, but I've generally noticed a lot less people doing it in recent times.
It is becoming, will increasingly become, less and less socially acceptable.
You cause a fatal accident now when using a mobile, you will be much more likely to face prison than before. Or one that causes injury.
And some high profile sentences have I think, started to change attitudes. As well as the tragedies behind these cases.
The trend here will increase, that social acceptability issue again.

The breathalyser and associated punishments, introduced 40 years ago, did not change behavior overnight, it actually took years to make a big dent in the accident rate. This also while car use was increasing over the whole period.
But, it has in that time, undoubtedly has saved countless lives and limbs.
There is no such thing in these matters as 100%
But that's no excuse for inaction.
It was very common to drink drive once, it was seen as 'OK', claims like I can see the road better at night after a few drinks was not an uncommon attitude. I'm actually quoting what I heard many years ago.

The argument about it's the way we live now, is spurious.
Comparing old and new modes of transport does not address inattention caused by mobiles.
Even the most basic phone can save your incoming calls and messages, they can be in silent mode, they can do all sorts of things.
Which rather undermines the idea that they have to be always on, have to be always used.

Hands free has also been shown to be much more distracting than talking to a pax, or listening to the radio.
This has been shown in serious science based studies.
It seems counter intuitive, but there you are.
(And only a very, very small % of drivers ever had CB radio either).

That you nearly had an accident when not distracted by phone use, rams the point home, just as well you WERE paying attention!