Springbok747
Topic Author

Can I Take A Rental Car From The US To Canada?

Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:10 pm

Hey everyone, just wondering whether it is possible to take a rental across the border to Canada (for three or four days). I was looking at the major car-rental websites and they don't mention anything about this, and I could only find some information from 2001.

Has anyone done this recently..or is it better to fly/take a train over and hire a car in Vancouver? I'm planning to drive from Seattle to Vancouver to visit a few friends over the weekend. Thanks in advance  Smile
אני תומך בישראל

DLPMMM

RE: Can I Take A Rental Car From The US To Canada?

Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:21 pm

I've done it.

Didn't have a problem.

Pyrex

Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:53 pm

I am looking into renting a car in Boston and driving it over to Montreal. In the conditions, Dollar Rent a Car mentioned that you could only take the car to the "Lower 48 or Canada east of Toronto", so I guess it might also depend on where you rent a car and where you are intending to drive it.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

bohica

Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:08 am

The rules vary amongst car rental companies. Call the car rental company directly to get a definite answer. It's better to know before you book the reservation.

yfbflyer

Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:24 am

Quoting Bohica (Reply 3):
The rules vary amongst car rental companies. Call the car rental company directly to get a definite answer. It's better to know before you book the reservation.

I went the other way with a rental car. Different companies have different restrictions. Some wanted to impose a mileage charge on rentals taken out of province. Shop around for the best deal
Canadians also are limited to taking an Canadian rental car over the boarder due to some sort of tax provision

SA7700

Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:48 am

I got a rental from AVIS in SEA and spent a few days at the Hilton Garden Inn Mukilteo, across the runway from the Boeing plant in Everett. I then drove North, over the USA/Canadian border, spent some time in Vancouver and then flew out of YVR to YYZ. I had no problems whatsoever.
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

ltbewr

Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:54 am

I think if you are retuning the car back to the USA point of rental, and the company allows it, there should be no problem. Some smaller or franchise car rental companies at some locations or some like Enterprise may not allow operations of cars into Canada. Best to stick with Hertz, Avis, National/Alamo. You may want to call or e-mail if possible the office where you plan to rent from (like SEA) to verify their policy as to driving one of their cars into Canada.

lincoln

Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:56 am

Quoting Bohica (Reply 3):
Call the car rental company directly to get a definite answer

Yes.

Hertz, for example, IIRC will allow you to take a vehicle rented in the US anywhere in the US or Canada, but God help you if you were to drive it in to Mexico.

One time I was picking up a car in Pellston, MI (about an hour south of the Canadian border) for a 1-day rental. The guy at the counter helpfully reminded me that I better not drive it in Mexico (first and only time that's been brought up verbally, but it is in the rental agreement)... I gave him a "I'm getting this car for one day and you think I'm going to drive to Mexico and back?!?" look and then asked about Canada -- "Oh, that's no problem..."
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

don81603

Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:07 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Thread starter):
Has anyone done this recently

I have relatives in South Carolina who regularly fly to MSP, and then rent a car to go to Thunder Bay, so I would assume it's fine. Just be sure to check with the rental agency, as there MIGHT be some insurance regulations.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

jetstar

Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:08 am

I have done in with Hertz, rented in Seattle and drove to Vancouver for an Alaska cruise, left the car in the parking lot at the pier, returned the car to Seattle. You have to tell them you are going into Canada for insurance purposes.

VonRichtofen

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:15 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 6):
Some smaller or franchise car rental companies at some locations or some like Enterprise may not allow operations of cars into Canada.

I think Enterprise would be OK with it now. They're pretty big up here now.

I rented a car in YYZ from Hertz that had North Carolina plates. So I don't think it's an issue.

misbeehavin

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:55 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Thread starter):

No problem at all. I've rented a car from Hertz in Seattle many times and driven into Canada without a second thought. I've also done one way rentals from SEA and dropped of the car at my hotel (one of the Marriotts has a Hertz desk) and that was just like a routine rental.

Only, like someone already said, inform them that you plan to go to Canada, so they can include the proper paperwork with the car.

N1120A

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:01 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 6):
Some smaller or franchise car rental companies at some locations or some like Enterprise may not allow operations of cars into Canada.

Enterprise is fine. I have rented from them at BUF and driven into Canada with their full blessing.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Springbok747
Topic Author

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. Just got an email from Hertz and Avis, they're fine with it. Hertz said that as long as I return the car in SEA (which I intend to do anyway), they don't have any problems. On another note, any a-nutters in and around SEA? I'll be there from Oct 21 - 26...then heading off to ATL for 3 weeks. So if anyone wants to meet up either in SEA or ATL - drinks are on me Big grin
אני תומך בישראל

PSA727

Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:50 am

I've done the BUF to Toronto and SEA to Vancouver many times, never had a problem.
Most rental companies don't have a problem going from border states into Canada. They
do seem to have a problem with people driving their cars into Mexico though. Just make
sure your insurance is OK with it.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

JJJ

Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:58 am

I have only had problems when making one-way rentals (always between SEA and YVR) in both cases (Budget and Hertz) the company would allow one-way rental but not let me rent a GPS unit with the car.

If you plan on just driving through the border and back there should not be any problem, but always check first with the company.

ACDC8

Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:05 am

Quoting JJJ (Reply 15):

I have only had problems when making one-way rentals (always between SEA and YVR) in both cases (Budget and Hertz) the company would allow one-way rental but not let me rent a GPS unit with the car.

Thats because rental companies belong to franchises, so different cities can be different franchises. All the vehicles and equipment (car seats, ski racks, nav systems) belong to the individual location and they are responsible for it. This is the main reason why you have drop off fees when picking up the car from one location and dropping it off at another. Just as an example, Budget's drop off fee from YLW to YVR is about $400. The problem is that because YLW is a complete different franchise (even though they're both Budget), the YVR location can not rent out the vehicle unless its going directly back to YLW.

At least its quite a bit different in Europe (at least Germany), there you can drop off a car at most locations free of charge.

Back to the OP though, most rental companies have no problems with you driving over the border. You can even drop off the car in Canada, but be prepared to pay through the nose.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

TransIsland

Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:35 am

Driven from BOS to YSJ in a Thrifty rental car in June. The only problem I encountered was the customs guy upon re-entry to the USA; a real pain the the neck he searched the car for over an hour, and even read the notes I had taken at the conference I attended in Canada.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

CPDC10-30

Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:06 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 10):
I think Enterprise would be OK with it now. They're pretty big up here now.

It all depends what the insurance coverage is for that particular branch. Enterprise usually will allow you to drive across the border, as long as you have their permission.

In my experience, Hertz is the least restrictive, and Budget the most restrictive on whom can drive the cars and where they can be taken.

N1120A

Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:16 pm

Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 18):

It all depends what the insurance coverage is for that particular branch. Enterprise usually will allow you to drive across the border, as long as you have their permission.

In general, an airport branch will have the most flexible rules. That said, the standard contract at Enterprise allows for cross-border rentals.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss