Dougloid
Topic Author

Informal Poll: OJ Simpson, Guilty Or Not Guilty?

Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:22 am

In the present armed robbery/kidnaping case in Las Vegas. Not the other one.

I think the good people of the Silver State are going to hand da Juice his ass, all neatly wrapped up in a brown paper bag.

Here's some light reading.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...-na-oj20-2008sep20,0,1390166.story

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/fashion/21dunne.html?em
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

LASoctoberB6

RE: Informal Poll: OJ Simpson, Guilty Or Not Guilty?

Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:26 am

I really don't care if he is or isn't. I just want those stupid helicopters to stop hovering over my school..
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

Aaron747

Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:29 am

Guilty. And even if he isn't, he's had slammer time long since coming. Time to squeeze the juice for good.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

DukeofDashes

Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:33 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 2):
Guilty. And even if he isn't, he's had slammer time long since coming. Time to squeeze the juice for good.

[checkmark] Even if the .001% chance that he didn't kill his ex-wife and her man-friend was, in fact, the truth, O.J. has been really class-less since the trial. It'd be fun to see him go to jail, if nothing else, for being an asshole.
"I always keep a bottle of whiskey handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy!" - W.C. Fields

Mir

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:15 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 1):
I really don't care if he is or isn't.

checkmark  This may be one time where I'm thankful there is an election going on, otherwise the news would be all-O.J., all the time. I don't understand the fascination with this guy.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

LAXintl

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:21 am

Let the jury do its job by hearing the case and the specifics of any evidence against him.

As a.net members its silly to pronounce his guilt or innocence based simply on media reporting which have made this gray case into a much more sensational media circus.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Elite

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:43 am

The jury swore to forget about the murder trial. . . the defense lawyer for OJ has also reminded them to forget about the trial. However I really think that the trial will work against him when the jury makes their decision.

par13del

Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:21 am

Quoting Elite (Reply 6):
The jury swore to forget about the murder trial. . . the defense lawyer for OJ has also reminded them to forget about the trial. However I really think that the trial will work against him when the jury makes their decision.

How will you know if they are lying, but it does make us feel better to say they promised a fair trial, there can be no such thing in his case. Innocent because they believe they cannot seperate their feelings over the murder tiral, guilty because they beleive he escaped in the murder trial. However, they did swear to forget the murder trial, so all is well.

Cheers

ronglimeng

Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:23 am

dougloid:

As I read the title of this thread, I was surprised that you, as a lawyer, would pose such a question.

As I read down through the replies, I find that "LAXintl" (Reply 5) says it all for me.

AirframeAS

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:17 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 6):
However I really think that the trial will work against him when the jury makes their decision.

Hell YES! I agree with you. They are already biased anyway. They know who OJ is. Some celebrities just cannot get out of the spotlight. Hopefully this will do some good to OJ and finally fade away...............in a jail cell!

If they find him guilty, which I hope they do.....throw him in the SuperMax. I dont think anyone has gotten out of there alive....yet... Except Susan McDougall when she was there for a year in Colorado. (Or was it some other SuperMax prison??)
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

LTU932

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:45 pm

I know it doesn't have to do with the "other" case, but I believe OJ Simpson has been guilty ever since the day he killed his ex-wife.

Dougloid
Topic Author

Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:02 am

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 8):
dougloid:

As I read the title of this thread, I was surprised that you, as a lawyer, would pose such a question.

I'm interested in what people think about the great non issues of the day, particularly how they formulate conclusions about things that are in my line of work.

I then ventured to essay what I thought the outcome would be.

As a point of information, the much ballyhooed "presumption of innocence" is not all it's cracked up to be. Most people who bleat about it don't seem to understand that all it means is that first, it does not attach until the jury is seated and sworn, and second that if reasonable doubt is there the defendant must walk free. At least that's how it plays out in the American legal system.

ronglimeng

Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:51 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 11):
I'm interested in what people think about the great non issues of the day, particularly how they formulate conclusions about things that are in my line of work.

Okay, fair enough, but I still like LAXIntl's comment on pronouncing guilt or innocence based on media reporting.

I'm interested in your comments on the "presumption of innocence". It always seems strange to me that we can keep "innocent" people locked up for months wearing orange coveralls waiting for a trial date.

lowrider

Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:36 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Thread starter):
I think the good people of the Silver State are going to hand da Juice his ass, all neatly wrapped up in a brown paper bag.

I think you are probably right, but he will only be convicted on a few charges, and acquitted of the rest, thus limiting the maximum penalty he can receive. Those articles are so poorly written, that I thought they might be from spoof site, initially.
Proud OOTSK member

Dougloid
Topic Author

RE: Informal Poll: OJ Simpson, Guilty Or Not Guilt

Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:14 pm

Quoting Ronglimeng (Reply 12):
I'm interested in your comments on the "presumption of innocence". It always seems strange to me that we can keep "innocent" people locked up for months wearing orange coveralls waiting for a trial date.

Your justice system and ours are a little different. The presumption of innocence is written right into the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Art. 11(d). That document looks like it owes a fair amount to our Bill of Rights and some of the other amendments-as well it should.

In our system the 'presumption of innocence' means only that in a criminal prosecution where the jury is seated and sworn, if there's reasonable doubt as to guilt the defendant must walk free. It's the thumb on the butcher's scale so to speak. Many people misinterpret it to mean that they're entitled to that default provision every step of the way. It's not so.
When I have some spare time I may well take a journey thru some of your court opinions and see how they handle this.

HapppyLandings

Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:42 am

I have always thought he was guilty.... Still do...

Just to answer the OP's question and not offer any other opinion.

BN747

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:36 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 10):
know it doesn't have to do with the "other" case, but I believe OJ Simpson has been guilty ever since the day he killed his ex-wife.

Below is all you can really do too...

Quoting HapppyLandings (Reply 15):
I have always thought he was guilty.... Still do...

Thought or Think.. ..because none of you were there.

I say this because as a local with other info vs the media and opinions.. there was a whole lot more to the murder case than the public could ever know. I'd say that of all known info about/related to this case totals only about 35% of what really occurred.

Before you flame..ask yourself this, "Has there ever been a nationwide sensational case' that the nation only 'heard' the surface of the story... the exact same thing here.

BN747

[Edited 2008-09-24 20:42:04]
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Dougloid
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:59 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 16):
I say this because as a local with other info vs the media and opinions.. there was a whole lot more to the murder case than the public could ever know

Don't be coy....spit it out.

HapppyLandings

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:37 am

That is why i said I "think" not "know".....

I may be wrong.... I am not claiming to be all knowing...

BN747

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:37 am

Quoting HapppyLandings (Reply 18):
That is why i said I "think" not "know".....

I may be wrong.... I am not claiming to be all knowing...

And that is why I quoted your accurate statement Happy...for those 'WHO DO KNOW' happened.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

sleekjet

Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:26 am

Guilty in California, guilty in Nevada.
II Cor. 4:17-18

allstarflyer

Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:45 am

Neither were you, and for us to be satisfied to rest with the decision from years ago would be naive.
Living the American Dream

zippyjet

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:07 am

Guilty!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

AirframeAS

Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:16 pm

Quoting Sleekjet (Reply 20):
Guilty in California, guilty in Nevada.

Even guilty on Uranus, too!  rotfl 
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

TheCol

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:09 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Thread starter):

Agreed.

The USDA has been waiting for a second chance for a long time. They won't settle for anything less then the maximum sentence, and they sure as hell won't screw this trial up.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

DocLightning

Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:14 pm

You know, how many times does one man get accused of something before you start to go "hmmm..."

What is wrong with him, anyway? I think he has frontal cortex damage or something.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

BN747

Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:30 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 21):
Neither were you, and for us to be satisfied to rest with the decision from years ago would be naive.

Never said I was, but I'm a lot closer to the occurrence than you were and followed the related information/speculation (published and unpublished) than most outside Southern California.

As for you comment of naivety..are you saying saying the Jury's verdict wasn't good enough for you? The jury REMEMBER saw Dr. Henry Lee discredit the LAPD investigators (whose evidence in which the entire prosecution relied upon)! So if you were a juror..would you place the preponderance of jurisprudence on your 'gut feelings' (as you are now) or on the evidence as presented?

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
You know, how many times does one man get accused of something before you start to go "hmmm..."

Oh don't think for a minute I don't think he's 'innocent' per se...on any many counts. He's definitely caught in a perpetual vortex of trouble.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):

What is wrong with him, anyway? I think he has frontal cortex damage or something.

He's a fool who doesn't realize that he and he alone is solely responsible for tainting his own star..and doesn't get it that afterwhich, the best thing for him to have done was to go quietly into the night and simply just disappear. He seems to possess that sickness that only celebrity can contract..'that you can always make a comeback (after a colossal Fubar), you can always 're-invent' yourself and recapture fanfare adulation'...no OJ...not in this case. But yeah Doc, you've gotta point.

BN747

[Edited 2008-09-28 16:32:25]