MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Large Hadron Collider Halted Until Next Year

Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:30 pm

The Large Hadron Collider near Geneva will be shut off until spring 2009 while engineers probe a magnet failure.

The incident on 19 September caused a tonne of liquid helium to leak out into the experiment's 27km-long tunnel.

Officials said the time required to fully investigate the problem precluded a re-start before the lab's winter maintenance period.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7632408.stm

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/WhyLHC-en.html
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

scrubbsywg

RE: Large Hadron Collider Halted Until Next Year

Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:34 pm

that's too bad. i was waiting for the day to watch all the doomsday people say 'dammit, no black hole, i guess we were wrong'

MD11Engineer

Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:40 pm

Well, those magnets are not mailorder items. They are unique pieces, made to customer specifications.
With the quench I assume that all coils inside have burnt through.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:44 pm

I hope they will have no more major breakdowns after the helium leaks and heated up magnets but who knows?

I am surprised that they had not figured all this out before they started up the big machine. The heck only knows what might happen lnext!!

The Higgs Boson will have to wait.  dopey 
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

MD11Engineer

Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:52 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 3):
I hope they will have no more major breakdowns after the helium leaks and heated up magnets but who knows?

Don't worry about the helium leaks, this is just a plumbing problem (anyway, ALL helium systems leak, because helium atoms are so small that they can actually like hydrogen, diffund though the empty spaces in the cristalline structure of metals).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

na

Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:53 pm

Such an ambitious project, one of the biggest, and next to the Apollo missions the biggest science project ever, surely needs to be done right, so I´m not surprised that repair will take its time. I´m only surprised that the failure happened so early during the testruns.

Klaus

Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:44 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 2):
Well, those magnets are not mailorder items. They are unique pieces, made to customer specifications.
With the quench I assume that all coils inside have burnt through.

As far as I've heard it wasn't the actual coil but the connection between two coils which hadn't been soldered/welded well enough so it melted and ultimately arced. The coils themselves might actually have survived, but unless they've warmed the assembly up and looked inside we probably can't know for sure.