Umfolozi
Topic Author

Helping Your Kid With Homework: When Too Much?

Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:19 pm

Parents want their children to do well at school and achieve good marks. Many parents also assist their children with their homework, which I think is a good thing, but when does this help become too much? My colleague at work's son is now in grade 11. He regularly brings some of his son's text books to work with him. During tea breaks he will often sit and make summaries for him. Sometimes it sounds as if father and son is going to school together, they way he talks: "Tomorrow P...... is writing maths. Tonight we have to study.......". How do you feel about this, when is too much too much?

[Edited 2008-10-02 09:24:37]
The only good suit is a wetsuit

yooyoo

RE: Helping Your Kid With Homework: When Too Much?

Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:40 pm

I try and help my kids as much as possible. My technique is hard to explain but i start with very little help to gauge where she is at and gradually increase the help to a point where she understands. When we get to that point, i make up my own short tests for her to take and see if she has grasped the lesson.

I'm happy to say that my little girl (grade 2) is very eager to learn and sometimes tells me to stop talking so she can think things out on her own. Having them develop their own way to understand is better than "forcing" your way to solve problems.  twocents 

Basically, help as much as possible just as long as they understand it in the end and retain it.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T