iliribdl

Portugal Recognizes Kosovo

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:06 am

Portugal recognizes independent Kosovo

Quote:
The government of Portugal has recognized the independent Republic of Kosovo, report Kosovo's public television RTK and the Portuguese media.

"It is in the interests of the state of Portugal to proceed today to the official recognition of Kosovo as an independent and sovereign country. We are convinced that now independence of Kosovo is irreversible," Portuguese Foreign Minister Luis Amado told the Foreign Committee of the Portuguese Parliament.

According to the RTK report, Portuguese authorities will soon contact their Kosovo counterparts.

Portugal becomes the 22 European Union and 48 overall to recognize Kosovo. EU countries still to recognize are Cyprus, Slovakia, Spain, Greece and Romania.

Here is the link for the Portuguese Foreign Ministry, where they have the report of the recognition. (it's in Portuguese, couldn't find an English one yet)

This is big news, especially how the majority of people who were (and are) against the independence of Kosovo, thought that Portugal would never recognize. (or it would take years)

Also from that list of the EU countries that have not yet recognized, Greece has already started the process by recognizing the new passport of Kosovo and has already started issuing visas. So that leaves only Cyprus, Slovakia, Spain and Romania out of EU countries, and they all will act withing 6 months. (I'd be shocked if it went any longer)

Thank you Portugal. OBRIGADO!!!

delta.com

Pyrex

RE: Portugal Recognizes Kosovo

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:43 am

Quoting IliriBDL (Thread starter):
Thank you Portugal. OBRIGADO!!!

Trust me, you have nothing to thank for.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

iliribdl

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:01 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 1):

I'm thanking Portugal for making the right decision, and standing up to Russia and their threats to not recognize Kosovo or else.... (they just made them this past week actually)
delta.com

Asturias

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:06 am

...it is a shame it has to be this way. In the short run a politically viable thing to do, but in the long run I have serious reservations.

Generally on the unilateral illegal and indefensible declaration of independence by Kosovo, a quote by Santayana is appropriate I feel: "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it,"

asturias
Tonight we fly

OA260

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:17 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 1):

Quoting Asturias (Reply 3):
.it is a shame it has to be this way.

run I have serious reservations.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Did anyone see the BBC program last week on organised people trafficking in Kosovo? Its thriving and the government are turning a blind eye !! Nice country  Yeah sure  Yeah sure

---------------------------------------------------------

Kosovska Mitrovica, Kosovo - In Kosovo, the gulf between majority Albanians and minority Serbs is nowhere more visible than in the divided town of Kosovska Mitrovica.
But that hasn't stopped the town from being a magnet for criminals of all backgrounds willing to work together for an illicit buck.
Kosovska Mitrovica, 50 kilometres north-west of the Kosovo's capital Pristina, is a no-holds-frontier town without proper police or courts.
It is split in half by the ethnic division that sheared Kosovo away from its Serbian past earlier this year - the part of the town north of the Ibar river is the de-facto capital of the Serb enclave of North Kosovo, which wants no part of the independence the south of Kosovo has claimed for itself.
In the political vacuum, however, Albanian and Serbian gangs have, in a way, bridged the divide and work with ease across the Ibar running drugs, people, prostitutes, guns and most recently, fuel.
The general population meanwhile stays put in its respective part of Kosovo - the 2 million Albanians in three-quarters of Kosovo south of Ibar, the 40,000 Serbs in and around Mitrovica, in their quarter to the north, along the border with Serbia proper.
'I set a new personal best and drove the car 15 times in from northern Mitrovica,' Albanian Armend boasts to friends in a cafe and calls the next round of drinks for all. 'I spent 150 euros (213 dollars) and raked in 3,000, not bad, eh?'
Armend, 34, is just one of a multitude of jobless Kosovars. He has chosen to make a living by smuggling fuel from the Serbia, where he can buy unleaded Serbian-made benzine without taxes for just 50 euro- cents per litre.
The border zone between Serbia and Kosovo is off limits to anybody but NATO KFOR peacekeepers, whose job description does not include chasing smugglers.
Armand's car, as others coming in to a north-Mitrovica petrol station, is packed to the roof with barrels, canisters and bottles for up to 2,000 litres of fuel.
Before selling it to gas stations in southern Mitrovica for 90 euro-cents per litre and making up to 800 euros on one run, he must bribe the police guarding the bridge between the two sections to let him pass.
The policeman will look away from a car and forget to wonder what may be inside for 10 euros, Armend says. 'He plucks no less than 150 euros out of thin air each shift,' another smuggler chimes in. 'The 300-euro monthly salary is just a cherry on top.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/ne..._cross-border_smugglers__Feature__

ALexeu

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:40 am

Today is the big day for Serbia. There will be a vote in UN assembly whether the Serbia has the right to ask int'l court if the independence of Kosovo is in accordance with international law.

Btw, Portugal was forced to recognized Kosovo! I wouldn't be surprised if Montenegro or FYROM also recognize it in few days.

HAWK21M

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:45 am

From Stability Point of view Worldwide.Is granting Independence to states carved from other states a right desicion or not needs to be debated.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Alessandro

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:37 pm

Montenegro will recognize before Macedonia, I´m sure of that.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Doona

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:44 pm

So that leaves only Cyprus,

Interesting that Cyprus hasn't moved on this yet. Something to do with the Turkish half of the island, perhaps?

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

iliribdl

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:09 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 7):
Montenegro will recognize before Macedonia, I´m sure of that.

I agree with you Alessandro. Macedonia no the other hand has asked Kosovo to recognize their name first, before they recognize the independence. Kosovo leaders have said they won't do it that way. So I guess we'll find out.
delta.com

JoKeR

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:20 pm

And Serbia just scored a diplomatic triumph at the United Nations....

The UN General Assembly has voted to refer Kosovo's independence declaration to the International Court of Justice.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7658103.stm
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

ME AVN FAN

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:21 pm

Portugal recognizes independent Kosovo

-
the map on http://kosovothanksyou.com gradually looks better, whenever progress after the recognition from Samoa stalled in a way. Up to now, no Arab country has DONE the recognition, which is amazing. And few African countries.
-

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 1):
nothing to thank for.

-
I presume that Portugal simply recognized a reality. The Kosovaris however ARE grateful, as your country for their recognition process was fairly important.
-

a shame

-
While I can understand Spanish reservations about the matter, in view of the Basque problem, I might hope that the Spanish leadership at a given moment will jump accross its own shadow. But I suppose that the Spanish leadership will chose the moment it suits Spain best.
-

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 4):
last week on organised people trafficking in Kosovo? Its thriving and the government are turning a blind eye !! Nice country Yeah sure Yeah sure

-
by that criteria, recognition should be withdrawn from quite a variety of governments in that region.  Sad  Sad That the Kosovaris only needed half a year to join the troops is regrettable.
-

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 5):
Montenegro or FYROM also recognize it

-
Montenegro and Macedonia also are "splinters" out of former Yugoslavia and so out of logic and self-recognition of course WILL recognize Kosovo, they however waited in order NOT to anger Serbia too much.
-

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 6):
.Is granting Independence to states carved from other states a right desicion or not needs to be debated.

-
It IS basically right. Even if it "violates" the post-WWII doctrine of irreversible borders and "territorial integrity" of existing states. The demise of Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union "produced" new countries anyway, and countries like Somaliland and Puntland are lining up. Even if it is producing as late President Mitterand complained a "Europe of the Tribes".
-

Quoting Doona (Reply 8):
Interesting that Cyprus hasn't moved on this yet. Something to do with the Turkish half of the island, perhaps?

-
NOT "perhaps" but definitely. And it might be advisable for them NOT to do so for the time being, at least until the Arab countries and Israel have done so and nobody will make much ado about the step.

JoKeR

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:23 pm

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 9):
Macedonia no the other hand has asked Kosovo to recognize their name first, before they recognize the independence.

Hahahaha... typical Balkans "pijaca"! You've gotta laugh!
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

JJJ

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:31 pm

...it is a shame it has to be this way. In the short run a politically viable thing to do, but in the long run I have serious reservations

Yup. Where should we stop now? TRNC? South Ossetia? Palestine? Kurdistan?

OA260

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:50 pm

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 12):

LOL.... well if Kosovo do that then they risk their own asses. Kosovo knows that negotiations are going on between Greece and FYROM and the EU only regognises it at the moment as ''FYROM''. If they decided to unilaterally regognise it as ''Macedonia'' then their EU hopes are finished by veto. I think if they are wise they will wait until a final ''name'' settlement comes and then regognise it by that. Unfortunatley Kosovo is caught between two parties. Do they upset a EU and NATO member even more or do they regognise a country that will in the end have to change its name in some shape or form even if its only on paper.

It has been reported that Greece may be willing to regognise Kosovo if Serbia is given fast track entry into the EU . So I presume Kosovo would rather have the support of Greece which has weight rather than support FYROM who is in stalemate.

[Edited 2008-10-08 09:54:06]

ME AVN FAN

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:56 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 13):
Where should we stop now? TRNC? South Ossetia? Palestine? Kurdistan?

-
A justified question indeed !
-
> TRNC ? not now, as a re-unification may be at hand
> South Ossetia ? YES
> Palestine ? to my regret NEGative as NOT defacto independent but autonomous at best
> Kurdistan ? if (when) "Iraqi Kurdistan" declares independence as it will, YES

ME AVN FAN

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:08 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 14):
the EU only regognises it at the moment as ''FYROM''

-
the point is that the EU and the UN etc HAVE recognized Macedonia. "FYROM" is not a country name, not even an official name of a country, but rather a diplomatic "code". It is NOT "only" and diplomatic missions of Macedonia simply are "labelled" Macedonia.
-

do they regognise a country that will in the end

-
With a bit more flexibility they should "accept" the name and recognize the COUNTRY and get the recognition from that country. In correspondence with international organisations they were to use the FYROM-code and in direct communications simply the official name "Republic of Macedonia" .
-
THIS here is the Macedonian Embassy in Berne in the official Swiss telephone book :
-
Ambassade
Macédoine (de la République de Macédoine)
Kirchenfeldstrasse 30
3005 Bern
Telefon
* 031 352 00 28
und
Telefon
* 031 352 00 30
Fax
* 031 352 00 37
-
if however the Swiss Foreign Ministry writes to an international organisation and mentions Macedonia, they will use the Code "FYROM". If a letter however is written to that Embassy here in Switzerland, it most presumably will be addressed to :
Botschaft der Republik Mazedonien
-
and here now their Consulate General in Vaduz / Liechtenstein as it is in the official telephone-book :
-
Konsulat
Generalkonsulat der Republik Mazedonien
Am Schrägen Weg 14
9490 Vaduz
Telefon
* 00423 232 00 74
Fax
* 00423 232 06 30
-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
so that I cannot quite see the problem those folks in
Pristina have !

OA260

Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:45 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 16):
the point is that the EU and the UN etc HAVE recognized Macedonia. "FYROM" is not a country name, not even an official name of a country, but rather a diplomatic "code". It is NOT "only" and diplomatic missions of Macedonia simply are "labelled" Macedonia.

On all official EU and UN documents and treaties it must be ''FYROM'' . In any negotiations it must also be the same. Fact of the matter is people can call it what they want but until the issue is solved it will be FYROM and out of all major international organisations.

Even opinion in the USA is changing.

http://www.greekembassy.org/Embassy/files/NCEH%20AD23-09-20082.pdf

ALexeu

Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:58 pm

Good job for Serbia! 77 countries voted in favor of Serbian resolution, 6 votes against, and others were either abstinent or were away.
Against Serbian resolution were: USA, Albania, Palau, Micronesia, Marshall Islands and Nauru...
http://www.b92.net/eng/news/politics...yyyy=2008&mm=10&dd=08&nav_id=54059
Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 11):
Up to now, no Arab country has DONE the recognition, which is amazing.

They now that:
1. They respect int'l law
2.. Kosovo is everything but not Islamic ''country''
3. They have internal problems or separatism

[Edited 2008-10-08 15:01:17]

JoKeR

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:15 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 18):
Palau, Micronesia, Marshall Islands and Nauru...

Uuuuuuuuuu... all of them combined would not make up the area of Belgrade Big grin
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

OA260

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:16 pm

Good job for Serbia! 77 countries voted in favor of Serbian resolution, 6 votes against, and others were either abstinent or were away

Well done ..... Thats a great majority.

Quote ::::Greece, Cyprus, Spain and Romania voted in favor.

iliribdl

Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:24 am

the map on http://kosovothanksyou.com gradually looks better, whenever progress after the recognition from Samoa stalled in a way. Up to now, no Arab country has DONE the recognition, which is amazing. And few African countries.

Yeah it's kind of strange, especially with Kosovo having a majority muslim population. They'll probably be some of the last countries in the world to recognize.

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 12):

lol, yeah man, that's how you do politics, Balkan style.  Wink

LOL.... well if Kosovo do that then they risk their own asses. Kosovo knows that negotiations are going on between Greece and FYROM and the EU only regognises it at the moment as ''FYROM''. If they decided to unilaterally regognise it as ''Macedonia'' then their EU hopes are finished by veto. I think if they are wise they will wait until a final ''name'' settlement comes and then regognise it by that. Unfortunatley Kosovo is caught between two parties. Do they upset a EU and NATO member even more or do they regognise a country that will in the end have to change its name in some shape or form even if its only on paper.

It has been reported that Greece may be willing to regognise Kosovo if Serbia is given fast track entry into the EU . So I presume Kosovo would rather have the support of Greece which has weight rather than support FYROM who is in stalemate.

Yeah man, Kosovo leaders have made it clear, that they will not recognize the name, simple as that. That's why it's taking Macedonia so long to recognize, they're kind of mad that the neighbor is not recognizing their name. lol

I hope Kosovo sticks with Greece's stance with this issue, and work on the relations with them. Greece is an important friend to have when it comes to Balkan issues. (and politics)

Good job for Serbia! 77 countries voted in favor of Serbian resolution, 6 votes against, and others were either abstinent or were away.

I watched most of it on RTK here in the US. A lot of the countries that have recognized Kosovo said in their speeches that no matter what the outcome of the court is, there will be no turning back, but as democratic nations they supported the court system and allowed Serbia to make it's case.

It's not that important, and seeing how out of 192 countries, only 77 were in favor, tells you how much they thought about it. It was mostly South American, African, Middle Eastern countries. (let's say a lot of countries that "dislike" the United States)
delta.com

iliribdl

Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:40 am

Also here is some more news coming out a few hours ago.

Romania and Slovakia recognize Kosovar Passports

Quote:
During a press conference, Prime Minister of the Republic of Kosovo Hashim Thaçi announced that "Romania and Slovakia have recognized the Republic of Kosovo passports," expressing gratitude for both countries' contribution on maintaining the stability in the Balkans. Thaci also thanked Portugal for recognizing the independence of Kosovo.

Romania and Slovakia are two other countries that have not recognized Kosovo independence yet.

So that comes to Romania, Slovakia, Greece, Macedonia, Montenegro, countries that have recognized the Kosovar passport, but not the country yet, but lets you know somehow that they have realized the new reality and the actual recognition will come in the following months.

Also here is a link in Serbo-Croatian. (from dnevnik.hr)

[Edited 2008-10-08 17:41:00]
delta.com

ME AVN FAN

Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:22 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 17):
On all official EU and UN documents and treaties it must be ''FYROM'' . In any negotiations it must also be the same. Fact of the matter is people can call it what they want but until the issue is solved it will be FYROM and out of all major international organisations.

-
This is exactly what I said. AND it is "FYROM" on licences in civil aviation and other traffic accords. It will/would be very difficult to change this all, even in case Greece accepts the present name today.
-

Up to now, no Arab country has DONE the recognition, which is amazing.

They now that:
1. They respect int'l law
2.. Kosovo is everything but not Islamic ''country''
3. They have internal problems or separatism

-
1) respect international law ? oh sure, of course  Smile
2) most Arab countries are NOT "Islamic countries"
3) yes, regional minorities (West Sahara etc) might use the precedent
-

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 21):
Kosovo leaders have made it clear, that they will not recognize the name

-
this is what I might call "the dispute over the beard-hairs of the prophet" or "tant de bruit pour une omelette". It sounds like nitpicking. They should "recognize" the name but make it clear that the "FYROM" code is to be used in all documents right along with the official name of that country.
-

iliribdl

Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:35 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 23):
this is what I might call "the dispute over the beard-hairs of the prophet" or "tant de bruit pour une omelette". It sounds like nitpicking. They should "recognize" the name but make it clear that the "FYROM" code is to be used in all documents right along with the official name of that country.

The Macedonians aren't doing any good to their case by not recognizing Kosovo. Especially with having a big Albanian minority inside the country, they should have done it in the early stages. (march or april)

But yeah, there were was news earlier today that both Montenegro and Macedonia were to recognize sometime tonight. I'll let you guys know as soon as I get the news.
delta.com

OA260

Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:02 pm

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 22):
Also here is some more news coming out a few hours ago.

Romania and Slovakia recognize Kosovar Passports

Lovely passports..... well the Cyrillic bit anyway LOL....  Wink  duck 

ALexeu

Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:50 pm

Montenegro officially recognized Kosovo as an independent country. No comment from me for now.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 25):
Lovely passports..... well the Cyrillic bit anyway LOL.... Wink duck

Yeah, funny. Anyway, Slovakia and Greece had to recognize Kosovo passport because they are the members of Schengen zone. If one can travel to e.g. Belgium with KS passport, then he could also travel to Slovakia without border control.

iliribdl

Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:11 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 25):
Lovely passports..... well the Cyrillic bit anyway LOL....

Yeah it is, can't wait to get one next summer. I have the US passport, and I might claim the Serbian one as well since my dad has it. (he was born inside Serbia, not Kosovo lol)

And yeah I love reading Cyrillic.

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 26):
Montenegro officially recognized Kosovo as an independent country. No comment from me for now.

Yeah, just came back from getting a haircut and my dad told me the news. It's great I think, because every summer there are a lot of Albanians that go to Crna Gora to spend their vacations. It's my #1 choice in the Balkans as a vacation spot, kind of feel a connection with the place after going there summer after summer ever since I was 1 year old.

Montenegro recognizes Kosovo's independence

Quote:
PODGORICA, Montenegro: Montenegro has recognized the independence of Kosovo in defiance of staunch opposition from its traditional ally Serbia.

The decision by Montenegro's government on Thursday is certain to raise tensions between the two Balkan countries that comprised a single state until 2006.

Lawmakers in Macedonia are also discussing whether to recognize Kosovo's February split from Serbia. Macedonia is another of Serbia's close neighbors.

Hvala Crna Gora

The parlament of Macedonia is still discussing the issue, have been there since 11am (European time), might announce their decision in few hours.
delta.com

OA260

Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:46 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 26):
No comment from me for now.

I know , cant trust those Montenegrans LOL... Best thing Serbia did was get its Independance from Montenegro...  Big grin

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 27):
I have the US passport

Hmm your welcome to it .

And yeah I love reading Cyrillic.

I do also . I love it . I hate seeing Latin in Serbia , Cyrillic is so much nicer.

iliribdl

Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:56 pm

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 28):
Hmm your welcome to it .

Might exchange it for a German one in a few years. My #1 priority after college is to go back to EU. (together with my family that is)
delta.com

OA260

Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:59 pm

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 29):
Might exchange it for a German one in a few years.

Or a Swiss one  Wink

Actually Id love a Swiss one , they are so cool.....

iliribdl

Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:16 pm

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 30):
Or a Swiss one

lol, we have family there, but it's more extended family, cousins, etc. Unlike Germany, where my uncle and grandmother live, then 3 aunts, and much more. haha

Uncle has been there for close to 30 years now, all the children were born there, and he's a German citizen.
delta.com

JoKeR

Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:25 pm

Hvala Crna Gora

Montenegrin Ambassador to Serbia just declared persona non grata and asked to leave Belgrade in 24 hours! Nice move.... for some reason... I can't hide my absolute thrill at this bit of news.... hope she takes her hundreds of thousands of compatriots with her -> one way!  wave 
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

JoKeR

Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:44 pm

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 33):

They are reporting that they're recalling the Macedonian ambassador as well.

The fact is that majority of people in both countries are fiercly opposed to Kosovo's independence - I guess US had a long "stick" here.
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

iliribdl

Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:46 pm

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 32):
Montenegrin Ambassador to Serbia just declared persona non grata and asked to leave Belgrade in 24 hours! Nice move.... for some reason... I can't hide my absolute thrill at this bit of news.... hope she takes her hundreds of thousands of compatriots with her -> one way!

They are reporting that they're recalling the Macedonian ambassador as well.

But in other news Serbia reinstates ambassadors to United States.
delta.com

OA260

Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:49 pm

hope she takes her hundreds of thousands of compatriots with her -> one way!   

They should send her to Pristina .... Im sure she would love that Big grin

iliribdl

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:01 pm

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 34):
The fact is that majority of people in both countries are fiercly opposed to Kosovo's independence - I guess US had a long "stick" here.

The Montenegrins of course accept the new reality and are for the independence, and as we all know the Serbians living there (a big minority) are against it.
delta.com

JoKeR

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:10 pm

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 35):
They should send her to Pristina .... Im sure she would love that

Apparently boutiques are not as nice as in Belgrade! Big grin
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

OA260

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:27 pm

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 38):
Apparently boutiques are not as nice as in Belgrade! 

Oh I dont know maybe you could pick up some cheap illegal fuel and some AK47's in PRN .....lol...

iliribdl

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 39):
Oh I dont know maybe you could pick up some cheap illegal fuel and some AK47's in PRN .....lol...

Not funny.

And now just in:

BREAKING : Macedonia Adopts Kosovo Resolution

Quote:
Skopje _ Macedonia’s Parliament has adopted a resolution recommending the Government to recognise neighbouring Kosovo’s independence from Serbia.

85 out of 120 legislators voted for and one lawmaker cast their ballot against, while 16 abstained for the resolution that came in an initiative of the three main ethnic Albanian parties in the parliament.

The Government might officially recognise Kosovo in the coming hours, reports from local Alsat M TV said.

The crucial support for the resolution came from the ruling centre-right VMRO DPMNE, while the opposition Social Democrats abstained.

The latest opinion polls done in September by the Centre for Research and Policy Making showed divisions in Macedonia regarding recognising Kosovo.

While more than 40 percent of those polled said Macedonia should recognise its independence, 43 percent were against. Only about 11 percent were undecided.

So add the recognition of Macedonia in as well. It all started with Portugal, as you can see the importance of that recognition, that's why I thanked your country pyrex.

So this only leaves Bosnia out of the former Yugoslav states, but we know why they can't do it at the moment.  Wink
delta.com

OA260

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 40):
Not funny.

Oh I know but sadly TRUE never the less.

iliribdl

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:19 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 41):
Oh I know but sadly TRUE never the less.

You can buy those things illegally in any country in EU. But lets not go off topic.
delta.com

ALexeu

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:21 pm

Now that Macedonia recognized Kosovo, Serbia should recognize Macedonia as FYROM, not Republic of Macedonia...

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 29):
Might exchange it for a German one in a few years. My #1 priority after college is to go back to EU. (together with my family that is)

Or why not keep the US and add German, Kosovar and Serbian to that list  Wink I have Serbian and Croatian passport, it helps.

Montenegrin Ambassador to Serbia just declared persona non grata and asked to leave Belgrade in 24 hours! Nice move.... for some reason... I can't hide my absolute thrill at this bit of news.... hope she takes her hundreds of thousands of compatriots with her -> one way! wave

Serbia would have over 50% less population  Smile I am really sick of Montenegro.

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 36):
The Montenegrins of course accept the new reality and are for the independence, and as we all know the Serbians living there (a big minority) are against it.

Serbs and 'Montengrins' are the same nation (just as Albanians and Kosovo Albanians).

iliribdl

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:45 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 43):
Or why not keep the US and add German, Kosovar and Serbian to that list Wink I have Serbian and Croatian passport, it helps.

I would love to, but I think Germany has a law that prohibits it's citizens from having two passports. (I could be wrong)

But I'm keeping the Kosovo one, and getting the Serbian one pretty soon. That way travel becomes easier.  Wink haha

Serbs and 'Montengrins' are the same nation (just as Albanians and Kosovo Albanians).

Well in some sense, but tell that to the Montenegrins, and they'll tell you otherwise. I know it's the same language, religion etc, but I'm pretty sure the mentality between the two is a bit different.
delta.com

OA260

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:46 pm

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 42):
You can buy those things illegally in any country in EU. But lets not go off topic.

But in Kosovo its easier to get an AK-47 than a Hamburger.

“This pistol costs only 100 Euros,” says “Gagi”, a young gunrunner from Pristina, sitting in one of most popular cafes in town. “I can give it to you for 80…”

Gagi (not his real name) stops talking for a moment as an officer of the Kosovo Police Service, KPS, passes by. The café is just a hundred metres from the KPS headquarters, on Pristina’s “police avenue”.

“It’s cheap because it’s modified… the magazine and the barrel have been changed… now it’s lethal, it kills,” Gagi continues.

A Balkan Insight investigation reveals that the Kosovo weapons black market is booming; pistols are ubiquitous, brought in via smuggling routes from Serbia, Macedonia and Albania. Gagi is just one of the territory’s many gun-runners.

http://kosovo.birn.eu.com/en/1/70/6908/

---------------------------------------------------

Serbia should recognize Macedonia as FYROM, not Republic of Macedonia...

Well if thats what they want to do then its up to them but they could always wait a few months and call it by its final name which is currently poised to the ''Democracy of Northern Macedonia''. But this changes all the time !!

ALexeu

Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:20 am

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 44):
Well in some sense, but tell that to the Montenegrins, and they'll tell you otherwise. I know it's the same language, religion etc, but I'm pretty sure the mentality between the two is a bit different.

Mentality between a person from Florida is totally different then somebody from Alaska...politics...

and getting the Serbian one pretty soon. That way travel becomes easier. Wink

Oh yes, you can travel to Cuba and Niger without visa  Big grin

iliribdl

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:53 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 46):
Mentality between a person from Florida is totally different then somebody from Alaska...politics...

Yeah agreed, I meant it in that sense.

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 46):
Oh yes, you can travel to Cuba and Niger without visa Big grin

Whats more important I can visit Србија without any problems.  Wink haha
delta.com

OA260

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:12 pm

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 47):
Whats more important I can visit Србија without any problems.   haha

Quick everyone alert the Serbian border controls that he is arriving LOL.....

ME AVN FAN

Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:32 pm

recognize Macedonia as FYROM, not Republic of Macedonia...

-
If somebody recognizes either, it accepts the other. It is the same country. What name is used in the documents is of minor importance. Switzerland recognized the Republic of Macedonia, but in bilateral treaties like the one about civil aviation, in line with ICAO, the "FYROM" designation is used. I simply do not really see the problem.

Germany has a law that prohibits it's citizens from having two passports. (I could be wrong)

-
Yes, double citizenship is not possible in case of Germany. It however IS possible in case of Switzerland
-

Montenegrin Ambassador to Serbia just declared persona non grata and asked to leave Belgrade in 24 hours! Nice move.... for some reason..

-
I apologize for being arrogant !, but isn't "Balkanese" politics a bit childish at times ???

ALexeu

Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:46 pm

Quoting IliriBDL (Reply 47):
Whats more important I can visit Србија without any problems. Wink haha

and I can visit Kosovo with I.D.  Wink

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 49):
If somebody recognizes either, it accepts the other. It is the same country. What name is used in the documents is of minor importance. Switzerland recognized the Republic of Macedonia, but in bilateral treaties like the one about civil aviation, in line with ICAO, the "FYROM" designation is used. I simply do not really see the problem.

Switzerland recognizes Macedonia as Republic of Macedonia, so there is no really problem there. However Belgium and few other countries recognize it as FYROM, and Macedonian embassies in these countries are named FYROM not Republic of Macedonia.