panam330

Where Would You Live If Money Were No Object?

Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:37 pm

Was thinking about this today when some classmates were talking about it. So, where would you live if money were no object?

I'd choose either the Upper West Side of Manhattan in NYC, or Pacific Heights in San Francisco, in that order. How about you guys?

swissy

RE: Where Would You Live If Money Were No Object?

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:10 pm

I am living for the last 13 years just south of YHM, I would stay as I do not care where all the ........ live

Cheerios,

DocLightning

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:11 pm

I would live right where I live now. At the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco. Except in a much larger place with my own private garage.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ZBBYLW

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:18 pm

Well I would defiantly stay where I am for a full time place. That being said I would get places around the world as vacation homes, one in Dubrovnik, another on a Greek Island (potentially Paros), one in Hong Kong (somewhere around Discovery Bay, lots of ex-pats there) and a final one being a winter cabin, for backcounrty skiing/snowboarding and Snowmobiling! Oh to be rich!
Keep the shinny side up!

asuflyer05

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:29 pm

Probably the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Battery Park City would be cool too if I could have a view of the Hudson River.

ScarletHarlot

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:36 pm

I would also live in multiple places and have a private jet to transport me, Mr. Harlot and our cats in comfort.

I'd have homes in Vancouver (for the summer), Toronto, Hawaii, Portugal, and maybe Australia. Maybe something in London too.

I'm sure as I travel more, there will be more places that I'd like to have a home in. I wouldn't buy palatial homes though...something just big enough.
But that was when I ruled the world

Daleaholic

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:40 pm

Bavarian Alps  Smile
And
Ft. Lauderdale  Smile
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

TUNisia

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:41 pm

Half of the year (lets say the spring/summer) I'd love to live somewhere outside Athens, Greece along the coast. Maybe in Vouliagmeni, Glyfada or towards Cape Cape Sounion. Plus... the food is Greece is the best! Italian food pales in comparison to good Greek cooking.

For the other half of the year (fall/winter) I'd like to live Edinburgh, Scotland.

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 3):
potentially Paros

I've been to Paros.. it's beautiful but not much to do at all. I'd get very bored there after 3 weeks or so.
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

Superfly

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:50 pm

About 2 miles away in Saint Francis Woods section of San Francisco.
Has nothing to do with the hotel in Union Square

Quoting PanAm330 (Thread starter):
Pacific Heights in San Francisco

That is a nice area but has no parking which would be a headache for your guest. Lots aren't as big and you don't have the big lawns, nor do you have a lot of trees. It's too concrete for me.
Pacific Heights has too much of a 'hey look at me, I am rich' element.

Saint Francis Woods is more secluded, older residents, not hip and no tour buses passing through. Saint Francis Woods has old classic homes with large lots, long driveways, plenty of street parking, walking distance to the metro stations, stores, lots of trees and very quite.
Bring back the Concorde

SpeedBirdA380

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:00 am

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 3):
That being said I would get places around the world as vacation homes, one in Dubrovnik, another on a Greek Island (potentially Paros), one in Hong Kong (somewhere around Discovery Bay, lots of ex-pats there) and a final one being a winter cabin, for backcounrty skiing/snowboarding and Snowmobiling! Oh to be rich!

So true.

If money were no object I would have many homes around the globe. First a nice country home here in old England. Then a nice home in the mediterranean on a hillside overlooking the sea. A home/apartment in the far east in Hong Kong/Singapore/Bangkok would also be awesome.

jetblueguy22

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:03 am

Sydney for sure.
Great city. People are much nicer.
Blue
All of the opinions stated above are mine and do not represent Airliners.net or my employer unless otherwise stated.

N776AU

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:08 am

Snellville, Georgia...basically where I live now. I like it here. It's a nice area. It's a good combo of small-town but still so close to Atlanta, and not too terribly far from Athens either.
Careful, Doors Are Closing And Will Not Reopen. Please Wait For The Next Train

PlymSpotter

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:15 am

I'd move to somewhere on the North coast of Cornwall; remote, away from any neighbours, and install the mother of all sound systems!  yes  Plus I'd also like to buy a farmhouse in Spain, my family there currently live in a town, so it would be nice again to be out in the countryside somewhere quiet.

Aside of that though, if money were no object then I would just travel around the world, visiting wherever I fancy. I wouldn't do it as a splurge though, I'd probably still stay in home-stays and B&B's or hostels, because in my mind it's still a much nicer, more personal way of seeing the country or place you are in, much less clinical than a large hotel. I'd also do it overland, as believe it or not I'm actually getting quite bored of flying these days and I'm running out of interesting planes to fly.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

greasespot

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:33 am

Some place warm that never ever gets snow. would have to be an island....and NO PEOPLE on it...

I would lean to the South Pacific area.

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

PSA53

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:38 am

Because of the bailout plan,I'm "downgrading" moving into my new house next Saturday.I lobbyed Washinghton,I mean, as in sucked up, to get this Hud project to save my company.

Things are tough,folks.

http://www.hearst-castle.org/

Sign,
Edmund Tse
CEO of AIG
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

TransIsland

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:43 am

The private jet (a Dassault Falcon 7X) would move me between Sydney/Australia (house in Rose Bay), Nassau/Bahamas (house on Eastern Road), Berlin/Germany (nice big flat in Kreuzberg) and a villa in Tuscany/Italy (somewhere between Montalcino and Montepulciano)... I think in other cities such as New York and London, I'd "slum" it in hotels - Claridge's anyone?
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

QFA380

Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:08 am

I like a few others would have a private jet (Gulfstream 650) and I'd like to have homes in Point Piper in Sydney, somewhere around where I am right now, New Buffalo in southwest Michigan on Lake Michigan, somewhere in Fiji, a place in London area and another place in New York.

Its encouraging to see how many people would love to live in Sydney!

JetBlueGuy2006

Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:14 am

Australia or New Zealand
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:20 am

Hmmm, probably have one house in Lincoln-Sudbury-Weston-Wayland area of MA, and another somewhere on Palos Verdes, CA.

Maybe have a ranch-style house somewhere out in the CA desert, too, just for kicks.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

allrite

Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:27 am

I'm with those who want to have houses in multiple locations. I would have houses or apartments in Melbourne, the South Island of New Zealand, Japan (somewhere - need another holiday back to investigate further  Smile) and Paris.

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 16):
Its encouraging to see how many people would love to live in Sydney!

I live in Sydney and would rather not.
I like artificial banana essence!

jfk69

Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:52 am

I am laughing at all the people that say the Upper West side of Manhattan. I lived there for 2 years and though it wasn't bad, it was def. time to go.

n229nw

Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:52 am

London (in a big flat, but not in a wealthy neighborhood), with another place in Paris. And lots of Eurostar tix.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

af773atmsp

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:15 am

I would want to stay in my hometown Bloomington, MN but have a much bigger house.

And have vacation houses in London, SXM, Sydney, and Anchorage.
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

STT757

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:31 am

My main residence would be in California, there are so many up scale gorgeous communities in California it would be hard to choose. La Jolla, Santa Monica, Malibu, San Luis Obisbo, Santa Barabara, San Francisco etc..

I would have to have a place near where I'm from either in New Jersey or Manhattan, if it were Manhattan it would be either Tribeca, Soho, UWS. If in New Jersey it would be Rumson or Colts Neck.

And third I would definately have a place on Maui, Lahaina, Kapalua or out by Jaws.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

johns624

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:31 am

Monterey, CA
UP of Michigan
Fort William, Scotland
Depending on the season...

NAV20

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:42 am

No question in my case. Where I live now. A five-minute stroll from here........

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/461960
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

57AZ

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:57 am

I'd probably purchase an offshore lighthouse from the GSA and live in it. No neighbors to deal with, plenty of boating and a nice, sturdy struture that is storm resistant-they're made of cast iron.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

WunalaYann

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:26 am

Quoting Allrite (Reply 19):
I'm with those who want to have houses in multiple locations. I would have houses or apartments in Melbourne, the South Island of New Zealand, Japan (somewhere - need another holiday back to investigate further Smile) and Paris.

Quoting N229NW (Reply 21):
London (in a big flat, but not in a wealthy neighborhood), with another place in Paris. And lots of Eurostar tix.

checkmark  You two have it all figured out!!  Smile

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 25):
No question in my case. Where I live now. A five-minute stroll from here........

Oi. Right next to Half-Moon Bay or am I dreaming?  biggrin  You lucky bugger.

NAV20

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:01 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 27):
Oi. Right next to Half-Moon Bay or am I dreaming? You lucky bugger.

Mentone Beach on Beaumaris Bay, WunalaYann. Half Moon Bay is a couple of miles to the north-west, beyond Rickett's Point, up at Black Rock (see your Melway!  Smile).

Mustn't mislead our pals on A.net though - shouldn't leave them thinking that you can count on that sort of weather all the time in Melbourne.

We both know that it's only as good as that for say ten months of the year........  Smile
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

TSS

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:16 am

I'd build a "mid-century modern"-style house worthy of a James Bond super villain in Pleasant Valley, Nevada (halfway between Reno and Carson City) and live there.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

WESTERN737800

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:22 am

I would stay here in South Dakota. I'd quit my job but would want to stay close to my friends so I could harrass them all the time. I would get vacation homes in Jackson Hole, Kalispell, MT, Anchorage, Chicago, and Chapel Hill, NC.
Bring back Western Airlines!

Pyrex

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:23 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 5):
Portugal

That would be my first choice. A primary residence near Lisbon (a house near the beach in Cascais, or maybe an old palace in Sintra), a cherry orchard in Fundão and maybe a mountain home in Gerês.

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 15):
The private jet (a Dassault Falcon 7X)

Finally, someone with taste! My choice as well, to take me to

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 18):
Lincoln-Sudbury-Weston-Wayland area of MA

Ahh, the W-towns... one house in the greater Boston area would probably be in the books as well, although I am not sure it would be a nice Beacon Hill townhouse, a waterfront apartment with docking for my own mega-yacht, a beachfront house in Rockport or a McMansion in the Concord/Lexington area. From where I would go to

Paris

, to my loft in Montmartre. I guess a house in a tropical island somewhere would have to be on the table as well although I am not fussy about that. Any semi-private island in the Caribbean or the South Pacific would do.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

WunalaYann

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:30 am

Quoting NAV20 (Reply 28):
Mentone Beach on Beaumaris Bay, WunalaYann. Half Moon Bay is a couple of miles to the north-west, beyond Rickett's Point, up at Black Rock (see your Melway! Smile).

Ah, you know, for a South Yarra urbanite like yours truly, anything past Elwood is pretty much the same.  Wink But indeed, Beaumaris & Half Moon Bays do stand out!!  Smile

Mustn't mislead our pals on A.net though - shouldn't leave them thinking that you can count on that sort of weather all the time in Melbourne.

We both know that it's only as good as that for say ten months of the year........

True. Too bad sometimes it is only 10 minutes in the whole day...  Wink If you don't like the climate in Melbourne, don't worry. Wait a few minutes and it will change.  sarcastic 

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 30):
to my loft in Montmartre.

Way too touristy, my friend. Les Buttes Chaumont or le Parc Montsouris make for better quality of life!  Smile

allrite

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:34 am

I live in Sydney and would rather not.

I've changed my mind, I think I might like to keep an occasional residence in Sydney. A permanent room in the Brighton Beach Novotel overlooking Botany Bay, the city and Sydney Airport. Perfect place for a night's rest before flying out to my other residences around the world (in my personal I'mDreamingLiner).

to my loft in Montmartre

Oh yes!

I'm reliving my honeymoon here! (No, not *that* bit).  Smile

Mentone Beach on Beaumaris Bay

Hmmm, I think my house would be on the Bellarine Peninsula, but I am very jealous of you anyway!
I like artificial banana essence!

ScarletHarlot

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:46 am

That would be my first choice. A primary residence near Lisbon (a house near the beach in Cascais, or maybe an old palace in Sintra), a cherry orchard in Fundão and maybe a mountain home in Gerês.

I would perhaps have a vineyard on the Douro, or (and?) a house in the Harlots' hometown just south of Aveiro. Maybe something in the Algarve as well.  Smile

Quoting Allrite (Reply 33):
in my personal I'mDreamingLiner

Everybody needs one of these.  Smile
But that was when I ruled the world

Pyrex

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:54 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 34):
the Harlots' hometown just south of Aveiro

I am going to guess Murtosa.

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 34):
Maybe something in the Algarve as well.

Nah. Too many brits.  duck 
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

ManuCH
Crew

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:58 am

I'd pick a house somewhere in Copenhagen, and a couple of vacation houses where I currently live, in Switzerland, and in New York. Oh, and of course that private jet to commute back and forth...
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

SJUboeingGirl

Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:04 am

St. John USVI as my main residence and vacation houses in PR( near my family), Maui, San Francisco and Limburg, Germany.
If it's not Boeing, I ain't Going!

NAV20

Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:57 am

Quoting Allrite (Reply 33):
Hmmm, I think my house would be on the Bellarine Peninsula, but I am very jealous of you anyway!

Used to be a frequent visitor to the Bellarine and the Great Ocean Road, Allrite.........agree entirely that it's a great location.

However - when I dragged the family back to Oz, I knew that they all loved the beach. Further, my daughter already loved horses, and the boys already had ambitions in the fields of cricket and football (both kinds). I had to be close to Collins Street business-wise, and also hoped to continue my own preferred relaxations - like sailing, flying light aircraft, and golf - and hopefully pass an interest in some at least of them on to the kids. Beyond that, of course, we needed good primary, and in due course secondary, schools.

Beaumaris/Mentone was (and remains) one of the very few locations anywhere in the world where ALL those facilities were either within walking distance or within a twenty-minute drive.

So 'I paid me money and made me choice.' I've never regretted it.  Smile

Blackprojects

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:26 am

If Money was No Object this is where I would Live.

It"s Called ST Georges Hill and is an Exclusive Estate with Super Sized homes Surrounded by an Electronic Security Fence and Road and Security Barriers.

Only the Rearly Welathy can afford homes on this Private Estate.

http://www.findaproperty.com/searchr...spx?edid=00&salerent=0&areaid=7313

Your Wallets or Purses will Slam shut at the Prices in £ GBP Great British Pounds.

old 

Sir Cliff Richard Lives on this estate.

NAV20

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:39 am

Quoting BlackProjects (Reply 39):
Sir Cliff Richard Lives on this estate.

If you pay extra, do they guarantee that you won't have to put up with meeting him, BlackProjects?  Smile

Blackprojects

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:47 am

I pass by the Place a lot and the locals out side have Hardly ever seen him.
The Estate has lots of Diferent Exits so People can slip in and Out with the rite Clearence that is.

From the out side it lookks like a UK HI Security Establisment Guard House Ramps and Barriers along with CCTV all over the Place.

He does have his little Place in Barbados though Little beeing So big its Stupidly Big!  old 

Rj111

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:47 am

I currently live 1km from Centre Point, St Paul's Cathedral, Covent Garden, China Town and St Pancras international. 3 miles to Arsenal FC and 1 mile to Blackfriar's Bridge.In fact I live on the divide line between EC1 and WC1 so going off that i live in the very Centre of London.

You could say my current locations is pretty good. Though city life has its drawbacks. Few parks and trees, private transports almost impossible, very few shops for day to day living and constant noise.

It will do me for now but if i could live anywhere it would probably be somewhere remote and scenic like Montana.

NAV20

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:52 am

Quoting BlackProjects (Reply 41):
He does have his little Place in Barbados though Little beeing So big its Stupidly Big!

Only time I ever saw him in the flesh I was tempted to shout, "'AIRCUT, that man!!!"

Which, I suppose, only goes to show that I'm far more entitled to use the 'old fogey' tag than you are.......  Smile  old 

Blackprojects

Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:39 am

Well compared with most of the People I know in London im getting on a bit I remember realry old Flying machines that used Water Injection on take off So ile keep using the Fogey thanks and keep Dreaming of a nice big House with Electric Gate and Mine Field to keep out the Chavs.  old 

cgnnrw

Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:48 am

I'm shocked nobody chose a home overlooking one of the worlds major airports! What type of a.netters are all of you???

I'd do the multiple homes version as well. In no particular order:

1. Capitol Hill in WashDC
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Buenos Aires
4. Italian Riviera

[Edited 2008-10-10 03:51:18]
A330 man.

YYZflyer

Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:49 am

Inside one of these, with unlimited fuel, my own pilots, mechanics, and a hangar:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © A J Best

I course I would be able to fly it too. Big grin
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

eicvd

Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:18 am

Mallorca, Mauritius, Maldives or the Seychelles.
COYBIB

futureualpilot

Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:55 am

As close to the beach as possible back home in San Diego, likely close to one of my favorite surf spots, somewhere between Cardiff and Swamis would work for me.
Life is better when you surf.

AAORY

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Paris for half of the year, Cayman Islands for the rest.
36 countries visited and counting...