cumulus

Icelandic Bank Collapse. Charities Losing Question

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:49 pm

Quote from BBC:-

"The Cats Protection League said it had £11.2 million deposited in a UK bank owned by the collapsed Kaupthing".

What is a Cat charity doing with 11.2 million quid?  Yeah sure
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

OA260

RE: Icelandic Bank Collapse. Charities Losing Question

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:11 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Thread starter):
What is a Cat charity doing with 11.2 million quid?  

Errr why not?? It is donations from all sorts of people incl. Cat lovers and owners. Whats the problem?

cumulus

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:46 pm

Because they're Cats!! Children starving etc and there's £11m for Cats - not right.

ThePRGuy

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:59 pm

I think what Gozza is doing is pouring petrol on a house fire - he is lashing out at Iceland in times of crisis - I don't think he reacted the same way with Northern Rock and Bradford and Bingley.

we are going to Iceland on Saturday 18th and they have withdrawn all currency from outside of iceland! On the plus side, our car and hotel which was £1k a month ago has now been paid for and cost us £650.

Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:59 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 2):
Children starving etc and there's £11m for Cats - not right.

The economist perspective that Adam Smith would probably argue, is that if private individuals see fit to donate a portion of their wealth to cat charities then so be it.

Perhaps saying not enough people care for children starving would be sounder argument than de facto condemning people who have money and care about cats donating to a cat charity Big grin
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

OA260

Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:37 pm

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 4):
Perhaps saying not enough people care for children starving would be sounder argument than de facto condemning people who have money and care about cats donating to a cat charity 

Exactly. We could use it for everything !! Cumulus instead of taking a holiday next year why not donate it to the starving children??

cumulus

Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:58 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
Cumulus instead of taking a holiday next year why not donate it to the starving children??

Couldn't afford a holiday this year, I'm a Single Dad and spend a fortune bringing my Daughter up, but if I had surplus income I would happily donate it to starving children and certainly not Cats.

Pyrex

Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:10 pm

Because they're Cats!! Children starving etc and there's £11m for Cats - not right.

Why spend it on children? Why not on cancer?

Fact is, there is always going to be some causes you think are more worthy than others. Following your logic, we should just spend $8 trillion or whatever in the cause you think is more worthy (which would not solve it, by the way) and then only move out of it once it had been resolved. In the meantime bridges would crumble, hospitals would stop operating, etc.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

VonRichtofen

Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:16 pm

£11m for Cats - not right.

Exactly. Dogs are better pets anyway.

cumulus

Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:57 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 7):
Why not on cancer?

Exactly, infact anything which benefits Humans.

cumulus

Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 8):
Dogs are better pets anyway.

Anything is better than Cats!!

dl021

Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:04 pm

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 4):
The economist perspective that Adam Smith would probably argue, is that if private individuals see fit to donate a portion of their wealth to cat charities then so be it.

Basic economic freedom means we can spend our own money on anything we desire. If we want to spend our money on insect husbandry for recreation and fun then that's ok. The money gets into the economy and is spent on something. As long as it's not in someones mattress it's being spent, jobs are created, homes are purchased, tax revenues are collected and people grow. It's cyclical but there it is.

plus...who is anyone to tell me how to spend my money? This isn't the USSR or Peoples Republic of anywhere....is it?

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
Exactly. We could use it for everything !! Cumulus instead of taking a holiday next year why not donate it to the starving children??

Well, to be fair, instead of spending money on a television license, or on desserts, couldn't you donate that money to the salvation army? Once again we're into the realm of who's standards are we going to use?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

OA260

Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:05 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 9):
Exactly, infact anything which benefits Humans.

Not true. Alot of these charities are looking after animals that are thrown out and mis treated and I totally agree with anyone that does anything to prevent cruelty to all animals. Everyone supports their own charities. I give to Cancer/Aids/RSPCA thats my choice.

cumulus

RE: Icelandic Bank Collapse. Charities Losing Ques

Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:18 am

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 12):
Not true. Alot of these charities are looking after animals that are thrown out and mis treated and I totally agree with anyone that does anything to prevent cruelty to all animals. Everyone supports their own charities.

Granted, but priorities should be established along the lines of Communism. If someone leaves money to Cats, their mental state should be questioned when they made the donation (or Bequest), the Government should then seize the cash and spend it on AIDS/Cancer/Children etc and just have the Cats put down.

777236ER

Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:46 am

People can spend money on whatever they want. However, a cat "charity" shouldn't be registered as a charity. Donations should be taxed, so the general (sensible) population don't lose out on the whim of a few morons.
Your bone's got a little machine

ThePRGuy

Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:49 am

The majority of this money probably comes from old dears leaving their houses and everything in between to these bizarre charities.
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

OA260

RE: Icelandic Bank Collapse. Charities Losing Ques

Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:18 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 14):
People can spend money on whatever they want. However, a cat "charity" shouldn't be registered as a charity. Donations should be taxed, so the general (sensible) population don't lose out on the whim of a few morons.

So in that logic the government has the right to tell you where you should spend your money and who your leave you estate to ?

TransIsland

Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:07 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 13):
Granted, but priorities should be established along the lines of Communism. If someone leaves money to Cats, their mental state should be questioned when they made the donation (or Bequest), the Government should then seize the cash and spend it on AIDS/Cancer/Children etc and just have the Cats put down.

Scary. After hearing these opinions from the extreme left, I am now waiting for the opposite side claiming that HIV/AIDS is the big guy's wrath punishing homosexuals for their immoral behaviour, and demanding that those charities be taxed...

I don't know what you think Humane Societies do, but their work benefits all of society, and your attitudes have just won my local Humane Society a donation.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

ltbewr

Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:09 pm

The bigger losers with the Iceland banking meltdown may be some regional and municipal governments in the UK, with maybe 200 Million Pounds at risk.
Yes, it does seem silly that a cat charity has 11 million pounds in it's kitty, but many millions of people love their cats too, despise cruelty to animals and recognize the positive power of cats as pets on peoples lives. Besides some cats are good to get rid of rodents. Too bad there were not bigger cats, but not 'fat cats' to go after the 'rats' in the financial services industry that has caught us in this tangled ball of junk.

777236ER

Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:25 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 16):
So in that logic the government has the right to tell you where you should spend your money and who your leave you estate to ?

No, as I said you have a right to spend money wherever you like. However, some things are given preferential tax status, including charities. These are dictated by governments and are a function of societal will. The government has every right to say what is taxed, and money given to cat foundations should be taxed.

OA260

Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:11 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 19):
The government has every right to say what is taxed, and money given to cat foundations should be taxed.

You are either a registered charity or not . You have to meet certain criteria. The argument could go down to every little detail. People donate money to their chosen cause and its their right. If Cat charities were to be taxed then the argument would come up that Aids/Cancer and other charities should be taxed.

Indeed I have heard the argument that Christian Aid in the UK should be taxed as it is money taken out of the country and not a charity that helps British people within the country. Charity begins at home I keep hearing. I dont totally agree with it but where will it all end ??

Your either a Charity or not.

cumulus

Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:53 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 16):

Well if you are forced by Government to give them 40% of everything over the Inheritance Tax Threshold of your estate so it therefore not any sort of logical follow on that 777236ER is making, it factual. The is Government IS telling you where it is going.

And if the individual is round the twist, the destination of the proceeds should be questioned.

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 768 File size: 122kb

vs

Big version: Width: 488 Height: 330 File size: 56kb

No Brainer really.

Cumulus.
(Cat Hater!).

TransIsland

Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:14 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 21):
No Brainer really.

While I cannot speak for the organisation you mentioned at the beginning, I know that the local Humane Society here does not fund the lavish lifestyle of pets as shown above.

However, it has a spay & neuter programme to help control the stray dog & cat population on this island;

it operates a clinic for animals who, for instance, were hit by cars, or - like my neighbour's dog - shot in the face by the police, and whose owners can't afford the regular vet;

it has an adoption programme to find homes for animals who either never had homes or who were abandoned;

it advocates animal related policies, and contributed considerably to a piece of legislation that is now being discussed in parliament to finally outlaw turtle fishing (endangered species and all).

Finally, let me add that pets, for many people, are an important aspect of their own mental well-being, for others they provide aid (e.g. seeing eye dogs) or protection - and whether you personally like cats or not is irrelevant, when I used to have one, mice and rats weren't in the house, so they can serve a purpose other than wearing a st00pid hat.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

OA260

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:00 pm

Well if you are forced by Government to give them 40% of everything over the Inheritance Tax Threshold of your estate so it therefore not any sort of logical follow on that 777236ER is making, it factual. The is Government IS telling you where it is going.

We can all post biased photos but it wont work . Shame you could not post a more realisitc photos when you were comparing !!

777236ER

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:04 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 20):

You are either a registered charity or not . You have to meet certain criteria.

Yes. You seem to be missing my point. The cat protection league shouldn't be a charity. The rules are too lax.

I dont totally agree with it but where will it all end ??

It's entirely subjective, it should be a parliamentary select comittee decision.

Your either a Charity or not.

You're. Well, one.

andz

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 18):
a cat charity has 11 million pounds in it's kitty

Nice one!

I am surprised at the vitriolic tone of some of the posts here. If I want to give my money to cats and not children/cancer/AIDS or any other "more deserving" charity then I will do so and fuck anyone who wants to tell me otherwise.

No Brainer really.

You're right. I'd rather give to the cats than some obscure charity purporting to help starving Africans when their corrupt governments are actually the ones benefitting.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

777236ER

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:26 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 25):

You're right. I'd rather give to the cats than some obscure charity purporting to help starving Africans when their corrupt governments are actually the ones benefitting.

We all know what many South Africans think about natives of Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Malawi. How many people have been murdered since May?

Alessandro

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:28 pm

Well, I quote Fat Freddy´s cat on this one "Bearded one" says,-US citizens spend more a day in average on their cats than on aid, equal food for a pet is enough to feed a starving family in
Biafra".
Fat Freddys cat thinks"but are they as a good pet as me"'?
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

cumulus

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:36 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 23):
We can all post biased photos but it wont work . Shame you could not post a more realisitc photos when you were comparing !!

So, in short, you'd rather Cats benefit over Human Beings?

OA260

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:53 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 25):

Very true.

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 28):
So, in short, you'd rather Cats benefit over Human Beings?

It should be everyones individual choice and if everyone was told what charities they could and could not support they would all loose out in the end. I cant believe the lack of regard that some have on here for the charities that help abused animals. The fact is that alot of people that give to animal charities incl myself also give to ''human'' ones also.

andz

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 26):
We all know what many South Africans think about natives of Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Malawi. How many people have been murdered since May?

Nice try, but our crime is so bad that the xenophobic violence here was barely a blip on the stats. Maybe we should be giving money to the Police instead.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

777236ER

Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:41 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):
It should be everyones individual choice and if everyone was told what charities they could and could not support they would all loose out in the end.

You can support whoever you want, but there must be limits on which organisations get preferential tax treatment.

Acheron

Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:03 pm

You are asking for too much. Have you ever noticed in any forum or website where an image of a dead and/or abused animal is place, the outcry for the animal picture is bigger than if the image was of a abused and murdered person?.

For the animal it normally goes like "Whoever did that should be butchered or killed in the same way!!!!!1111" with replies agreeing and suggesting other methods of torture, deathwishes, etc.
But when the picture of a person is placed, the average replies are "Ouch, that must hurt!" or "It must suck to die like that. Oh well".

Pyrex

Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:30 pm

No Brainer really.

No brainer for me too. Pouring away money into a continent that has always starved, since the inception of mankind, and that has benefited from more than $1 trillion in foreign aid over the past 50 years or give the money to cats. My money is on cats.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

cumulus

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:28 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 33):
My money is on cats.

So why are Cats still suffering as per OA260's post? Are you implying that all charitable contributions are wasted?

777236ER

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:31 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 33):
Pouring away money into a continent that has always starved, since the inception of mankind, and that has benefited from more than $1 trillion in foreign aid over the past 50 years or give the money to cats. My money is on cats.

The choice wasn't cats vs. Africa, it was cats vs. starving kids. If you seriously would home a cat rather than feed a starving child, then you have bigger problems than Icelandic banks failing.

OA260

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:39 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 34):
So why are Cats still suffering as per OA260's post? Are you implying that all charitable contributions are wasted?

Why is anyone still suffering? Some donations are wasted. Alot of money sent to Africa vanishes with no trace!

PPVRA

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:50 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 14):

Should we tax Greenpeace and the World Wildlife Fund?
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

cumulus

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:57 pm

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 36):
Alot of money sent to Africa vanishes with no trace!

Well blame Bob Geldof. Do you have evidence that money donated to these infernal Cats actually gets to them? Not that it bothers me of course!

OA260

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:58 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 38):
Do you have evidence that money donated to these infernal Cats actually gets to them?

Can you provide a link that says it does not??

cumulus

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:58 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 37):

Definately, at the most severe rate.

cumulus

Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:04 pm

You threw the Gauntlet down Sunshine, not me.

Go on, dare you!! Give me proof that as per the African charities where cash "goes" missing, the same doesn't with the Cats?

cumulus

Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:07 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 25):

Irrelevant. If you had a spare $10.00 and you knew (irrespective of anyone robbing your tenner) it would save the life of a Cat or a Child which would you go for?

777236ER

Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:07 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 37):

Leave it up to a parliamentary select comittee, as I've said. In my opinion, yes.

OA260

Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:10 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 41):
Go on, dare you!! Give me proof that as per the African charities where cash "goes" missing, the same doesn't with the Cats?

But I thought you said it does not bother you ?

DLPMMM

Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:28 pm

Granted, but priorities should be established along the lines of Communism.

Great Idea!! We all know how well Communism works!

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 43):
Leave it up to a parliamentary select comittee, as I've said. In my opinion, yes.

I suppose the make up of this parlimentary select committee will be determined by the special blue ribbon panel, who will be in turn designated by an esteemed honorary ad hoc commission established by a draw of straws.

777236ER

Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:40 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 45):

I suppose the make up of this parlimentary select committee will be determined by the special blue ribbon panel, who will be in turn designated by an esteemed honorary ad hoc commission established by a draw of straws.

Actually, all it would take is to make the Charities Commission answerable to a select committee that already exists, if you'd like. The Home Affairs Select Committee, for example, Members are appointed by the house.

A better way of reform would be to remove one of the definitions of a charity as per the Charities Act 2006, namely that it should promote animal welfare. Hopefully the public interest in the Cat Protection League money will make this more likely.

There's no need for flippant pithy comments when you don't know something and want to score a silly point.

DLPMMM

Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:40 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 46):
A better way of reform would be to remove one of the definitions of a charity as per the Charities Act 2006, namely that it should promote animal welfare. Hopefully the public interest in the Cat Protection League money will make this more likely.

I don't think you would ever be able to get that change made, as there are alot of groups that depend on those donations and there are alot of politicians that rely on those groups for support. (WWF, Greenpeace, SPCA.....) It's not politically feasible.

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 46):
There's no need for flippant pithy comments when you don't know something and want to score a silly point.

Sometimes there is a very great need, as it can help keep some people from taking themselves waaaay too seriously.

cumulus

Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:29 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 45):
Great Idea!! We all know how well Communism works!

Hahahahahaha!!!!!! Worked for Fidel!

777236ER

Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:02 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 47):
I don't think you would ever be able to get that change made, as there are alot of groups that depend on those donations and there are alot of politicians that rely on those groups for support. (WWF, Greenpeace, SPCA.....) It's not politically feasible.

Uh, OK. It happened a whole two years ago, I'm not sure how you can conclude it can't happen again. I can't think of any UK MP that relies on animal charities for support, so I don't really know what you're trying to say.