Mir
Topic Author

MLB LCS Thread

Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:38 am

I have no dog in this fight (except wanting the Red Sox to lose), so I'll just start this off with a complaint:

Why do TBS and FOX insist on starting the playoff games at 830pm Eastern? I can understand starting the NLCS games at 8:30, since that's 5:30 for half the fans involved. But for the Sox/Rays series? Nobody on the West Coast is going to care about those, and all the people on the East Coast are up past midnight watching a 9 inning game (or in the case of tonight, up past 130am watching an 11 inning game).

Anyway, Phillies are up 2-0 on the Dodgers with the series moving to LA (I definitely thought the Dodgers would take at least one). Rays just won, so the ALCS is tied at 1-1 going to Boston.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

navymmw

RE: MLB LCS Thread

Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:42 am

Quoting Mir (Thread starter):
(except wanting the Red Sox to lose)

Lets just hope that does not happen.  Wink

Anyways really close game tonight for the Sox and Rays.

Pyrex

Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 am

Quoting Navymmw (Reply 1):

Yep. Really good game, especially the beggining, equaling the previous record of home-runs in a playoff game (7). That top of the 5th inning with 3 home-runs for the Red Sox was just impressive. And with Jason Bay playing like that I am starting to miss Manny Ramirez less and less.

(except wanting the Red Sox to lose)

Lets just hope that does not happen.

Damn right! I want my two years in Boston to be marked by two Red Sox World Series.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

vikkyvik

Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:14 am

Nobody on the West Coast is going to care about those

grumpy 

You get a break on Monday - it's an afternoon game, meaning I can't watch it  Sad

Yeah.....good game, I guess. Strange game, to say the least.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 2):
And with Jason Bay playing like that I am starting to miss Manny Ramirez less and less.

Manny who?  Wink

C'mon Dodgers, pull it together....
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

MCOflyer

Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:25 pm

I am hoping for a dodgers & rays world series. I will admit that seeing the rays and redsox games game was interesting. Perez did a fantastic close and I think that no one in the redsoxes lineup had gone against him played a keyrole in the rays win.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:58 am

Well this thread died a quick death.

So the Sox and Dodgers are both down 3-1 in their respective series.

Sox got creamed last night. Starting pitching has been nowhere for them. Relief pitching was nowhere last night as well. We get our last stand at Fenway tomorrow night...here's hoping we can turn it around with Daisuke on the mound for us again.

Dodgers are currently down 5-1. Furcal made three (3) errors in one inning - two on the same play. Martin (or whatever the Dodgers' catcher's name is) got called out for the 3rd out in the 6th inning on a pitch that looked pretty obviously low.

Ramirez blasted the HR, but of course, no one was on base.

Nomar just pinch hit, and walked, so the Dodgers have 2 on with 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th. But Kent just struck out - inning over.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Mir
Topic Author

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:12 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 5):
Ramirez blasted the HR, but of course, no one was on base.

The guy is a machine, but he can only do so much if the others in the lineup aren't producing.

-Mir

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:20 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
The guy is a machine, but he can only do so much if the others in the lineup aren't producing.

Yep. I've seen it plenty with the Red Sox, where him and Ortiz hit homers, but no one's on base.

He just got on base in the 8th, but the next guy grounded out to end the inning.

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:42 am

Won't let me edit my post for some reason.

Anyway....that's it for the Dodgers this season  Sad

C'mon Sox....pull it together tomorrow.....

AGM100

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:41 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 8):
Anyway....that's it for the Dodgers this season

Ya well, they are not going away ... they will be damn good next year if they keep it together.

Furcal 3 errors in one inning ?? Thats just weird ... and some bad luck from the gods of October !
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:55 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 9):
Ya well, they are not going away ... they will be damn good next year if they keep it together.

I hope so.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Manny. He's freaking awesome, but at the same time, he's freaking expensive, and obviously, he's not a good fit for every team. Hope he gets to stay with the Dodgers. I think LA suits him a lot better than Boston.

AGM100

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:08 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 10):
Hope he gets to stay with the Dodgers. I think LA suits him a lot better than Boston.

He was great in Boston , but he wanted to move. He is a perfect fit for LA , and he loves it from what I can tell.. who wouldn't ? Playing for the Dodgers with one of the best managers and a great young team ! I would be very surprised if he wast there next year .

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:27 am

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 11):
He was great in Boston

He was a great baseball player in Boston, no doubt about it - and I would be very remiss if I didn't appreciate his helping us win two World Series.

But I think everyone (fans, coaches, even players) got fed up with is little act. I understand that he didn't want to be in Boston anymore; however, he didn't have to go to such great lengths to show it.

And yeah, I think he fits well in LA. But once again, he is an expensive player - who knows if the Dodgers will want to keep that huge salary.

Also, I wish Joe Torre many years of success with the Dodgers. Would have been fucking great if he'd won the WS this year - either way, by getting this far, he stuck it to the Yankees. I may hate the Yankees with all my soul, but I have a lot of respect for Joe Torre.

Mir
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:27 am

Red Sox need to call Joe the Plumber...their season is spiralling down the drain. 5-0 Rays in the 7th.

-Mir

AirCop

Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:28 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 13):
Joe the Plumber...

He busy with media interviews...The Red Sox will have to come back on their own.

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:28 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 13):
Red Sox need to call Joe the Plumber...their season is spiralling down the drain. 5-0 Rays in the 7th.

Well, it was looking pretty bad there (7-0 Rays in the 7th), but Big Papi finally found his swing, and blasted a 4 run homer. 7-4, in the top of the 8th right now, with Papelbon pitching.

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:35 am

....and OH MY FUCKING GOD, Jason Bay walks, and J.D. Drew hits it into the stands in right!

7-6!!!!!!!

No outs, bottom of the 8th!

EDIT:

And the Rays' most despised enemy comes through for the Sox! Coco Crisp hits a base hit, and Mark Kotsay scores, TYING IT UP!!!!!!!!

EDIT#2:

I meant to say 3-run homer by Ortiz, not 4-run....

Anyway, it's 7-7, 2 outs, Youkilis up in the bottom of the 9th.

[Edited 2008-10-16 20:50:38]

[Edited 2008-10-16 21:08:03]

Mir
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:16 am

Nice job, Tampa.  Yeah sure

Good luck against Beckett and Lester the second time around.

I'd say more, but it'd just get deleted.

-Mir

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:19 am

i am completely speechless right now.

that was absolutely unbelievable.

now i can go have a heart attack in peace.

well, until saturday  Smile

Pyrex

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:27 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 17):
i am completely speechless right now.

that was absolutely unbelievable.

now i can go have a heart attack in peace.

Same here. First run on the bottom of the 7th, trailing by 7 runs, to end up winning in regular innings. My friends warned me that the history of the Red Sox was full of dramatic stories when I started following baseball and boy they were not kidding.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 16):
I meant to say 3-run homer by Ortiz, not 4-run....

Yeah, but he did it in such a non-chalantly way it seemed he was just twirling the bat around his fingers.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

navymmw

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:43 am

Wow, what a Game!

All I can say is what a game. I feel bad for Kazmir though. He pitched a great game but their bullpen screwed it up for him. Anyway im glad my Sox won.  Smile

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:52 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 18):
Nice job, Tampa.

Yeah, we definitely got some help from Tampa on that one. But hey, a good team takes advantage of the opponent's errors.

Quoting Mir (Reply 18):
I'd say more, but it'd just get deleted.

Haha, well far as I'm concerned, you can say what you want. I won't be SD'ing it  Smile

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 19):
Yeah, but he did it in such a non-chalantly way it seemed he was just twirling the bat around his fingers.

That's when you know he's hitting well. Him and Manny both - when they blast the ball, they do it without seeming to exert any effort. Ortiz has looked like he's trying for the past few weeks, and consequently, he hadn't done anything.

Quoting Navymmw (Reply 20):
I feel bad for Kazmir though. He pitched a great game but their bullpen screwed it up for him.

Indeed, definitely sucks for him. But I feel worse for Wheeler - he just couldn't do anything on the mound.

Mir
Topic Author

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:48 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 21):
far as I'm concerned, you can say what you want. I won't be SD'ing it

The Battlestar Galactica version:

Congratulations to the fracking useless Rays, who just handed the fracking LCS to the god-damn fracking Red Sox on a silver platter complete with fracking gift wrap. All the Sox have to do now is reach out and fracking take it.

Tonight was the night that the Rays got a big fracking dose of playoff reality. You had the Red Sox down and broken. They were begging you, pleading you, ON THEIR FRACKING KNEES, to take the pennant. "Take it!" they scream. "We don't want this thing! Our pitching would be giving up home runs to Hellen Keller! We couldn't hit shit in a cesspool! Put us out of our misery and TAKE THE DAMN PENNANT! We already have our tee times scheduled for tomorrow!" And the Rays failed. Epically. All they had to do was defend a seven run lead with seven outs. Seven runs, seven outs. GET SEVEN FRACKING OUTS BEORE THEY GET SEVEN FRACKING RUNS!!!!!! Even the fracking Mariners on a bad day can manage that!!!  gnasher 

And then after the Sox manage to tie it up, the Rays get Barlett on against Masterson, and Iwamura, instead of taking a pitch that was clearly outside with Bartlett about to steal second, swings at it and fracking flies out to left! And then Upton walks, and here comes Carlos Pena, who has an average like Manny Ramirez with runners in scoring position. Except unlike Manny Ramirez, who would have at least managed to make contact and put the ball into the outfield to score Bartlett with the go-ahead run, Pena decides that since he's only grounded into two double plays all year, IT'S TIME FOR A FRACKING THIRD ONE!!!  banghead 

And after that you knew it was going to happen eventually.  sigh 

If there's one thing that the Rays should know, it's that you NEVER, EVER, EVER let the Red Sox back in a series. When you have them down, you put your foot on their fracking throat and you do not stop pressing until every fracking bit of life in them is exhausted. Because if you don't, it will come back to bite you in the ass, and hard. That just might be the lesson the Rays take away from this postseason. Cleveland learned it last year when they didn't take advantage of a gift run in Game 7.

The Rays dominated Beckett and Lester last time out, but don't expect to do it again. The Sox now have all the momentum, the Rays have none, and you know that Beckett will be feeding off of that. Good fracking luck. You'll need it.  mad 

Rant over. Good night.

-Mir

vikkyvik

Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:45 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 22):
Rant over. Good night.

checkmark 

Well done, and while not exactly concise, definitely to the point  Smile

The Red Sox are an amazing comeback team.

But I'm not kidding myself - we still have one (hopefully two) games left to play, away in Tampa Bay. I absolutely never think that the Sox have it in the bag. Tampa Bay has proven quite effectively that they are a damn good team, with some damn good hitters and pitchers.

Although the Sox have the momentum now, Tampa Bay is gonna have a serious fire lit under their ass in Game 6.

Mir
Topic Author

Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:11 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 23):
Tampa Bay is gonna have a serious fire lit under their ass in Game 6.

Yeah, enough to pull out a measly two runs off Beckett. I guess this game wasn't big enough for "Big Game" James Shields.  Yeah sure

This thing is done.

-Mir

vikkyvik

Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:07 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 24):
Yeah, enough to pull out a measly two runs off Beckett. I guess this game wasn't big enough for "Big Game" James Shields.

Beckett was a bit more on top of his game this time, thank god. Still not the Beckett of yore, but better command. Still not hitting 94-96 MPH, though.

Quoting Mir (Reply 24):
This thing is done.

I hope so, but I still think Tampa Bay has a good shot. I really, really, REALLY hope Lester is on his game tomorrow....

Mir
Topic Author

Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:50 am

HOLY CRAP THE RAYS PULLED IT OFF!!!!!!! BOSTON IS DEAD!!!!!!  biggrin   highfive   hyper   bouncy   veryhappy 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHCL6-GqyRk (embedding doesn't work)

Congratulations to the Rays for proving me wrong. Best of luck in the Series.

-Mir

navymmw

Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:54 am

lol, well do you hate the Red Sox so much? If its about Bandwagon fans then hate the rays even more, I mean just look at their fans. They sold out their first game this year ever.

Anyway the rays did play well I have to say and also good luck to them.

jogales

Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:06 am

Quoting Navymmw (Reply 27):
They sold out their first game this year ever.

They've sold out many games prior to this season...

Josh
-

Mir
Topic Author

Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:18 am

lol, well do you hate the Red Sox so much? If its about Bandwagon fans then hate the rays even more

The Red Sox have more bandwagon fans than the Rays (well, at least until tonight, since many of them will now be jumping off the Sox bandwagon and onto the Rays bandwagon). But that's pretty much irrelevant, since my hatred for them runs far deeper than that.

-Mir

vikkyvik

Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:25 am

Anyway the rays did play well I have to say and also good luck to them.

checkmark 

At least now I can finally start paying attention to football (I can only focus on one sport at a time).

As I think about it, I really don't care at all who wins the WS. I guess it would be cool for the Rays to win, so they can fully complete that "worst-to-first" thing.

Quoting Mir (Reply 29):
The Red Sox have more bandwagon fans than the Rays (well, at least until tonight, since many of them will now be jumping off the Sox bandwagon and onto the Rays bandwagon). But that's pretty much irrelevant, since my hatred for them runs far deeper than that.

You're a Yankees fan, correct?  Smile

Sorry if I'm wrong - that's what I remember.

Mir
Topic Author

Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:45 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 30):
You're a Yankees fan, correct?

Sorry if I'm wrong - that's what I remember.

You remember correctly.

And before you start, yes I know we had a crap year, and I'd much rather be in the position that the Red Sox are in now than just watching from the sidelines all of October. But seeing the Red Sox go down in flames just brings a twinkle to my eye. I know you'd feel the same way if it were us going down in flames.  Smile

-Mir

LHMark

Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:45 am

Poor Chowd, distracted from football by their baseball team's pesky insistence on staying into the late post season.

The Boston Red Sox- the Dave Matthews Band of baseball. Screw 'em.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

vikkyvik

Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:47 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 31):
And before you start, yes I know we had a crap year, and I'd much rather be in the position that the Red Sox are in now than just watching from the sidelines all of October. But seeing the Red Sox go down in flames just brings a twinkle to my eye. I know you'd feel the same way if it were us going down in flames.

Haha, don't worry, I wasn't going to start. You can root against the Red Sox all you want - it would be sort of weird if you didn't.

God, I really wanted Joe Torre to get to the series this year, though....

AGM100

Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:56 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 32):

They have some damn good players , but untimely hitting slumps got em. Tbay held up under tough circumstances,their bullpen did the job. Francona did his job , getting runners in scoring position in the late inning with there best hitters at the plate is a sign of good management. The fact that Ortiz , Drew , Bay couldn't bring them is a credit to the Rays .

Damn good series !

Love the Rays , but going for the Phillie's in the big one ... it should be good.

MCOflyer

Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:02 pm

You guys realize this will be the first time since 1980 the Phillis have gone to the World Series? Also, anyone besides me seing Varitek going to another team?

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

PIA777

Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:28 pm

Well, my Cubs are officially LOSERS!!! Another expanion team has beaten them to the World Series. Since 1993 there were 4 expansions, all 4 have now made it to the WS for a total of 5 times and they have so far won 3 times. If you count 1969 and 1977 then we can include Padres and Blue Jays which adds 4 more appearences by expansion teams. This is such Bull!!
I think the current marlins team will make the WS before the current Cubs team. I say get rid of Salaries and get good young players and start the F&^%*$ over!! I am really pissed!!

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

IHadAPheo

Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 35):
You guys realize this will be the first time since 1980 the Phillis have gone to the World Series? Also, anyone besides me seing Varitek going to another team?

err the >>Phillies<<< have gone to a World Series "since" 1980

1993 Blue Jays Vs Phillies

remember Mitch Williams pitching

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

EMBQA

Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:58 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 29):
The Red Sox have more bandwagon fans than the Rays

Yea... So true. I date back to 1975 as a Red Sox fan... so I've earned the right, but the younger fans make me sick. I remember back in 2004 the early 20 somethings saying "I've waited so long" Yea, shut up.....!! 1975, 1978, 1986 and all the little crap in between.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

vikkyvik

Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:24 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 38):

Yea... So true. I date back to 1975 as a Red Sox fan... so I've earned the right, but the younger fans make me sick. I remember back in 2004 the early 20 somethings saying "I've waited so long" Yea, shut up.....!! 1975, 1978, 1986 and all the little crap in between.

I'm sure those of my parents generation are equally annoyed by you.

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 34):
The fact that Ortiz , Drew , Bay couldn't bring them is a credit to the Rays .

Shit, Drew and Bay had done enough this series. Ortiz did have one big hit, but other than that, he'd been pretty silent.

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 32):
Poor Chowd, distracted from football by their baseball team's pesky insistence on staying into the late post season.

Yeah, yeah, go whine over your beer  Smile