ogre727

New In Zurich...

Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi guys,

I have just moved into Zurich a few days ago. While I am still adjusting to the city, I had some questions to the people who live here or know it well:

a) When is the best time to go to the observation deck at the airport? Which time of the day during a weekend will I see more wide-bodies take off?

b) That cool store within the observation deck... is it about to close? I was there on saturday (and bought myself two cool Pan Am planes) looked like it was about to close... is this true?

c) I still don't have a car, but will get one soon. Where is the best place to park to see planes landing?

Any help on this or any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
I am between the devil and the deep blue sea

aviationmaster

RE: New In Zurich...

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Quoting Ogre727 (Thread starter):
a) When is the best time to go to the observation deck at the airport? Which time of the day during a weekend will I see more wide-bodies take off?

b) That cool store within the observation deck... is it about to close? I was there on saturday (and bought myself two cool Pan Am planes) looked like it was about to close... is this true?

The observation deck will be closing for around two years at the end of October. Most wide-bodies take off between 0930 and 1400. The observation deck on dock E will be open daily begining next year (I think) to compensate for this closure. Best is to check the airport's website for updates.

The store is closing due to the construction work on dock B, which will begin at the end of the month.

ME AVN FAN

RE: New In Zurich...

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:14 pm

Quoting Ogre727 (Thread starter):

-
it will be closed and not be re-opened, BUT the main store is in Glattbrugg on Schaffhauserstrasse 76, to be reached from the airport by bus 768 (station "Post Glattbrugg") and from downtown Zurich by S-railways line 5 (station Glattbrugg) and line 7 (station Opfikon)
-
In regard to the spectators terrace, it can be mentioned that access to the one on Terminal E will be improved