seansasLCY

If There Was A UK Election Who Would You Vote For?

Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:37 pm

If a UK general election was called tomorrow for sometime in november, who would you vote for and why?

mwhcvt

RE: If There Was A UK Election Who Would You Vote For?

Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:07 pm

Tory! Lets get Gordon out now, he's indebted the country so much in all the PFI's that not even he is sure what the truth about national debt is these days. Lets get a Tory leadership back in power to clean up all the mess that Tony and Gordon and all their little minions have left behind
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

CPH-R

Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:48 pm

Does Labour even have anyone they can 'nominate' as their leader when Gordon is kicked out of office? I know they just brought back Peter Mandelson, but that guy seems somewhat unable to maintain a place in a cabinet, so I wonder how popular he really is in the public eye?

If I had any say, I'd point at either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Clarkson. The UK may be going to hell in a handbasket, but at least it'd be somewhat amusing to watch Big grin

planesarecool

Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:41 am

Under a different voting system, I'd go for UKIP. However under FPTP there isn't much point, so I'd probably go for Labour (although I live in a Tory stronghold, so that would probably be pointless too).

Now if only Vince Cable had become leader of the Lib Dems...

IH8BY

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:20 am

Quoting MWHCVT (Reply 1):
Lets get a Tory leadership back in power to clean up all the mess that Tony and Gordon and all their little minions have left behind

Until they too, inevitably, dissolve into a mess of sleaze and corruption, just like Labour have and just like the last Tory government did before them. I'm afraid that I don't trust the Conservatives any more than I trust Labour - in fact, possibly slightly less, and that's impressive considering how many times Labour has betrayed its voters' trust since 1997 (with the Conservatives complicit in much of this).

That said, the Lib Dems have been at their least incisive since their leadership changed. People mocked Sir Menzies Campbell for his age, but from what I can see the Liberal Democrats seem to have faded into the background once again since the arrival of Nick Clegg, whose biggest headlines since he assumed the leadership have been not around policy but around his claims of how many women he'd slept with.

Politically I'm closest to Lib Dem, but I'm not entirely sure I wouldn't vote Labour just to keep the Conservatives in check.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

cumulus

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:35 am

Russell Brand................!!!!
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

MYT332

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:02 am

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 5):
Russell Brand................!!!!

What that fat astrology guy?
One Life, Live it.

rsg85

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:18 am

Quoting SeansasLCY (Thread starter):
Who Would You Vote For?

Keith Lemon

David L

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:09 am

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 4):
Until they too, inevitably, dissolve into a mess of sleaze and corruption

I think you need to forget the usual sleaze and corruption as major criteria for choosing a party. There have been some elements of both in every government and opposition I've been aware of. It's unfortunate but it's a fact of life. Those criteria tend to be emphasised more by younger voters who've only experienced one government and are a significant number given how long Labour have been in.

The Tories "suffered" from the same fate after 18 years in power. I went back to university after working for a few years and a lot of my classmates had been born only a few years before the last Tory government got in. I well remember them insisting that a Labour government wouldn't be sleazy or corrupt. I like to remind them of this from time to time.  Smile

MadameConcorde

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:42 am

I should not intervene in this thread as I am not a citizen of the UK but I must say I would be sad to see the Conservatives being back in power.

The Labour Party has certainly made mistakes but I do not see what better the Conservatives can do.

It seems that the Conservative tendency is winning all over Europe, certainly not for the countries good.

Sarkozy and Berlusconi (both are W. Bush good buddies) are two perfect examples of this wave of conservatism. They are both hopeless yet they seem to be very much liked - even loved - by a great majority of people in Italy and France so I am afraid they will probably still be around for a number of years.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

ajd1992

Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:07 pm

Jeremy Clarkson. Seriously.

Silly

MYT332

Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:16 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 10):
Jeremy Clarkson. Seriously.

Sadly you are too young to vote son!  Wink
One Life, Live it.

skidmarks

Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Monster Raving Loony party as first choice.

However, if i were to really think about it, I would vote Tory. While they are probably no better than the other crowd, at least theirs would be a different mess.

And as for sleaze. You are not going to get a squeaky clean party whoever gets in. Accept it, human beings are not perfect and to expect anythinge else is naieve and stupid. To me, a guy shagging his secretary while maintaining a second home with 4 children by his Mistress, who frequents a West London Bondage Club and deals with insider traders, is perfectly normal. It's what human beans do. To expect them to lead blameless and perfect lives is not on.

I'd rather trust a proven crook than a guy who hides his faults until it is too late to do anything about it.

Just my 4d pennorth

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Elite

Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:50 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 2):
Boris Johnson

I'm not an expert on UK politics, but isn't that guy a buffoon?

skidmarks

Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:01 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 13):
I'm not an expert on UK politics, but isn't that guy a buffoon?

He acts like one but he is in fact quite switched on. Although I'm not sure I'd want him running the country. As the old adage goes - Never judge a book by it's cover"!

Andy  old 

ajd1992

Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:00 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 11):

Sadly you are too young to vote son! Wink

2 years (well, slightly less than that, I turn 18 in July 2010...) till i'm 18. I won't be using my vote - I don't think any of the people in politics have enough of their screwed tightened to be running a country.

MYT332

Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:04 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 15):
I won't be using my vote

Personally I think you should always use your vote no matter how dire things seem but that's just me.
One Life, Live it.

andz

Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:21 pm

Jethro Q. Walrustitty  Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31FFTx6AKmU

Can't embed the video  Sad
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

seansasLCY

Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:43 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 15):
2 years (well, slightly less than that, I turn 18 in July 2010...) till i'm 18. I won't be using my vote - I don't think any of the people in politics have enough of their screwed tightened to be running a country.

I think this is the biggest insult you can make. People around the world die for the right to vote from the soldiers of WW1/WW2 to the people killed in Tiananmen Sq. You should always use your right.

skidmarks

Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:55 pm

Quoting SeansasLCY (Reply 18):
I think this is the biggest insult you can make. People around the world die for the right to vote from the soldiers of WW1/WW2 to the people killed in Tiananmen Sq. You should always use your right.

Actually, voting for something you neither agree with, or feel is relevant is pointless and unproductive. If you feel that none of the parties involved have a policy you agree with then yuou should not be pressured into voting. The choice is what makes a democracy. Telling people that it is "an insult" not voting is wrong. Not having anything to vote for is wrong.

In the current political climate in the UK there is precious little to differentiate between the parties. And neither can you trust any of them to do what they say, the beaurocracy and civil service see to that.

So telling people that not voting is an insult is totally out of order. Maybe telling politicians to put forward policies that people WANT to see embodied is the way forward. Trying to shame people for not voting isn't.

Andy  old 

Arsenal@LHR

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:12 pm

I'd vote for a fringe party like the Greens as a protest vote. Not only is politics dirty, corrupt and dishonest, it's one of the most boring aspects of life. All the parties have their own agenda's and ideas, they will say one thing and then do something else when they get into power.

I once heard a saying that "If voting ever made a difference it would be abolished". So true.
In Arsene we trust!!

SpeedBirdA380

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:14 pm

I am thinking of voting Conservative.

People argue it will be more of the same we have endured under Labour but Can it be any worse?

Yes I am too young to remember the 80's and the Thatcher years but I still think they deserve a shot a running the country.

I made my mind up permantley not to vote Labour after seeing a tv programme on ITV a few weeks ago and they were questioning a Labour MP(forget who) about the Inheritence Tax Issue. Her reply was "Inheritence Tax is the fairest tax there is because we only take your money when you die". banghead 

Well that might be the case for you darling and your family with your nice six figure salary(easily six figures when you add all the extras they recieve at our expense) but what about those people who have to survive in the real world who would like to give the money to their Children or Grandchildren so possibly they might be able to get their foot on the housing ladder or pay off their mortgage. Or even a charity close to their heart.

Also now we have the return of Peter Mandelson who I understand on top of his £100,000+ salary will also continue to recieve his Euro MP slary for the next 3 years which amounts to around £230,000. All at a time when the British Taxpayer earning a modest wage is picking up the bill for tens of billions of pounds for these greedy incompetant bankers(change the B in that word to a W.)

I am going to lie down for a bit now....

faint 

andz

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Quoting SpeedBirdA380 (Reply 21):
Peter Mandelson who I understand on top of his £100,000+ salary will also continue to recieve his Euro MP slary for the next 3 years which amounts to around £230,000.

Did you see why? Because his new salary is less than the Euro MP salary. What a shame. He wasn't fired, or retrenched from his Euro job, he CHOSE to move to a lesser-paying post and now the taxpayer is funding the difference. Politics stinks.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

skidmarks

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:40 pm

Also now we have the return of Peter Mandelson who I understand on top of his £100,000+ salary will also continue to recieve his Euro MP slary for the next 3 years which amounts to around £230,000. All at a time when the British Taxpayer earning a modest wage is picking up the bill for tens of billions of pounds for these greedy incompetant bankers(change the B in that word to a W.)

And this is a man who has lost his job twice!! And is now elevated to the Lords - by the party that wants to abolish it!!

And we MUST vote? For people like this? I don't think so.

Andy  old 

ajd1992

Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Quoting SeansasLCY (Reply 18):

Maybe, and I respect that fact. But we live in a democratic society. I've got the right not to vote. I don't believe in what the political parties are promoting or whatever, so voting for them would go against the point of voting.

Maybe you should use your right NOT to vote instead.

nighthawk

Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 19):
Actually, voting for something you neither agree with, or feel is relevant is pointless and unproductive. If you feel that none of the parties involved have a policy you agree with then yuou should not be pressured into voting. The choice is what makes a democracy. Telling people that it is "an insult" not voting is wrong. Not having anything to vote for is wrong.

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 24):

Maybe, and I respect that fact. But we live in a democratic society. I've got the right not to vote. I don't believe in what the political parties are promoting or whatever, so voting for them would go against the point of voting.

Maybe you should use your right NOT to vote instead.

which is exactly why I have always felt there should be a "none of the above" option on the ballot slips.

Last general election I felt neither party was worth voting for - Tony Blair was a lying war-mongering baffoon and the conservative candidate (whoever that was at the time!) was no better - there simply wasnt anyone deserving of a vote.

Not voting suggests lack of interest, rather than not agreeing with any of the parties. Instead a "non of the above" option should be added - in which case the leaders must step down, the parties change their policies and a new election held.

GDB

RE: If There Was A UK Election Who Would You Vote

Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:17 pm

What do you do when the party you usually vote for has not, to put it mildly, been performing?
When you will NOT vote for the main opponent?
When you have an issue with aspects of your local MP - who seems to want to threaten your job? (Then again, most of them in and around LHR are like that).
When you don't think much of the 3rd party?
And you have disdain for the smaller ones - too many zealots and weirdos?
Yet you do think that you should exercise your vote - if you don't, shut up and certainly don't moan about politics/current affairs.

Welcome to my world.
However, that was the position up to very recently.
Rather a lot has changed very recently, still very unhappy about some quite major aspects of government policy.
Then again, do we really expect whoever we vote for to do what we agree with 100% of the time? That strikes me as unrealistic.

Now if Vince Cable was leading the 3rd party, an easier choice, but he isn't and I really do not like the Lib Dems leader.
Of course, here you vote, or should do in theory, the party through your local representative.
But you can bet that the local Lib Dem will be the most anti LHR of the lot.

What will make me vote the usual way?
Scrap the ID Card project.
Use the fallout from the banking crisis to make deep changes in the regulation of the financial sector. Use it to encourage - with great vigour, a re-ordering of the goals of the City Of London. More investment and a lot less of the clever-clever financial trickery. (Because in this aspect, despite their poll lead, the Tories are all of a sudden on the wrong side of history).

Of course, while Brown has been internationally lauded for recent moves to stabilise the banking crisis, he was the Chancellor for 10 years and PM for the last one.
Why did he allow, from the start, too little financial regulation.
I've a theory on this.
Labour win in 1945, the government do succeed in implementing the great social reforms demanded by the electorate, but they have to do so in a country bankrupted and ravaged by WW2.

Next time they win, in 1964, they open the books and find the much lauded you've never had it so good stuff of their predecessors was built on sand.
(If you think they 'spin' today, that's nothing compared to Harold Macmillan).
The UK is deep in debt, the indicators for productivity, investment, general economic strength are downwards.
So the incoming Wilson government is rocked by economic crisis, they do however, under Home Secretary Roy Jenkins, implement a raft of social reforms that survive to this day.

They lose in 1970, are back in 1974.
This time it's even worse, strikes, the 3 day week, power cuts, the oil shock.
So for them, mostly 5 years of crisis, until their 'friends' in the unions finally stab them in the back.
The usually moderate British electorate snaps and the most radical change since 1945 is made, under Thatcher.

So to 1997, though far from golden, the economic situation greeting Labour in that year, is by far the most benign they've ever encountered.
Perhaps then, they just were never going to try and rock the boat too much, indeed, at times they've seemed to over-compensate against accusations of having 'Old Labour' tendencies.
Which has helped to lead us to where we are now.

Brown is a poor PM, or at least seems to be in normal circumstances, the last few weeks though have been far from normal.
I don't think that will save them, but it may force a change of emphasis from the Tories.
It all depends on how long and deep any recession is.
(First one in over 15 years though, we had two really bad ones in the decade prior to that).

So I'll just have to say, right now I'm not sure.
I won't do a full 180 degree change in voting habits, I do have some set, basic beliefs and I guess political prejudices, but as I've said, the current government has pissed me off plenty in the last couple of years.

planesarecool

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:09 pm

I'd go for any party that vows to scrap 'Green' taxes and stop using "Global Warming" as a way of taxing our arses off. Or alternatively, if they must tax us for something that doesn't exist, or isn't our fault, a party that at least uses the money for 'Green' purposes (A high speed rail link from London to the North will be a good start).

In the mean time, I'll stick with Labour.

mwhcvt

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 4):
Until they too, inevitably, dissolve into a mess of sleaze and corruption, just like Labour have and just like the last Tory government did before them. I'm afraid that I don't trust the Conservatives any more than I trust Labour - in fact, possibly slightly less, and that's impressive considering how many times Labour has betrayed its voters' trust since 1997 (with the Conservatives complicit in much of this).

I have to confess that this is the problem, almost all MP's have their own agenda when they take up office, most of the time this leads to corruption, Since 1997 how many times have we seen stories like X individual donates £50,000 to labour then a few months down the line the company that, that individual runs, manages or owns is awarded a massive government contract, they don't even bother covering it up these days for crying out loud.

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 27):
I'd go for any party that vows to scrap 'Green' taxes and stop using "Global Warming" as a way of taxing our arses off. Or alternatively, if they must tax us for something that doesn't exist, or isn't our fault, a party that at least uses the money for 'Green' purposes (A high speed rail link from London to the North will be a good start).

This I could go for, Why the F..... should I pay double or triple the road tax just because I happen to drive a Land Rover, as apposed to a Mini. Its not like I do any more damage to the road that any other car
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

cumulus

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:28 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 6):
What that fat astrology guy?

That's Russell Grant you berk!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russell Brand, My Booky Wook and all that!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EnnrSC540Y4
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

SpeedBirdA380

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:11 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 22):
Did you see why? Because his new salary is less than the Euro MP salary. What a shame. He wasn't fired, or retrenched from his Euro job, he CHOSE to move to a lesser-paying post and now the taxpayer is funding the difference. Politics stinks.

checkmark  Stinks worse than a skunks backside.

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 23):
And this is a man who has lost his job twice!! And is now elevated to the Lords - by the party that wants to abolish it!!

And we MUST vote? For people like this? I don't think so.

Andy old

Yes you are right. I try and look at it like this- A vote for the lessor of two evils. Sad but true.

Quoting GDB (Reply 26):
Scrap the ID Card project.

100% agree with you on this. How can we trust any Government to keep records like our DNA and fingerprints on record. Haven't the Goverment lost yet another briefcase with peoples personal files this week. banghead 

Quoting MWHCVT (Reply 28):
Since 1997 how many times have we seen stories like X individual donates £50,000 to labour then a few months down the line the company that, that individual runs, manages or owns is awarded a massive government contract, they don't even bother covering it up these days for crying out loud.

So true and you can add a few more 000's on to that figure.

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 27):
I'd go for any party that vows to scrap 'Green' taxes and stop using "Global Warming" as a way of taxing our arses off.

Me too. I remember that shameful "Greentax" that the goverment added to flights a while back. It would not even be so bad if they said every penny raised from this tax will go into research of Global Warming but does it. Of course not!!

GDB

Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 pm

I would not get too het up about 'Green Taxes', because they will in the future, be driven by the need to comply with international agreements, (not just from the EU either).
The airline business is having to, will increasingly have to, so like it or not, adapt and get used to it.
(Besides, one of the Tory rising stars is Zac Goldsmith, an ecologist).

Though both major parties have had scandals, with should be punished and reforms made, let me tell you, they are small fry, not compared to the 3rd world, but compared with full democratic nations right next to us.

Still, a recent hopeful sign, in a N.London council bi-election, out of 2900 votes cast, the BNP managed just 27 of them.
(And they only target places where they think they'll do at least reasonably well).
In this respect, again compared to some near neighbours, British politics does not stink so much, since some of their equivalents of the BNP are much more successful.
Such a thing is virtually unthinkable here.

OA260

Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:52 pm

Tory , Im a true blue when it comes to British politics. Labour are a total shower.

David L

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:48 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 19):
If you feel that none of the parties involved have a policy you agree with then yuou should not be pressured into voting.

checkmark  I have to agree there. However...

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 25):
which is exactly why I have always felt there should be a "none of the above" option on the ballot slips

... there is - a spoiled paper. I believe the fact that "people died for our right to vote" should give us the kick up the backside we need to get off our arses and vote but we must retain the right to vote for "none of the above". If you don't want to cast your vote for one of the candidates, draw a Swastika in the Tory box, a hammer and sickle in the Labour box or a mouse in the Lib-Dem box or all three. You won't be voting for anyone in particular but you will be "voting" - spoiled papers are registered as such.  Smile

Yes I am too young to remember the 80's and the Thatcher years but I still think they deserve a shot a running the country.

That's a problem the Tories have faced since then - they get a lot of votes because of Thatcher... and a lot of votes against for the same reason. Margaret Thatcher was simultaneously the most popular Prime Minister ever and the most unpopular.  Smile

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 23):
And this is a man who has lost his job twice!!

In his defence, I seem to recall that the second time he quit and was subsequently vindicated. I don't trust the guy, though.  duck 

Quoting GDB (Reply 26):
What do you do when the party you usually vote for has not, to put it mildly, been performing?

That doesn't narrow it down much.  biggrin 

Quoting MWHCVT (Reply 28):
Why the F..... should I pay double or triple the road tax just because I happen to drive a Land Rover, as apposed to a Mini.

checkmark  My car is probably slightly worse than average on carbon emissions but I hardly use it. Why should I pay for ownership rather than usage? Unless ownership is the real target, of course...

Quoting GDB (Reply 31):
Though both major parties have had scandals, with should be punished and reforms made, let me tell you, they are small fry, not compared to the 3rd world, but compared with full democratic nations right next to us.

True. We haven't really had any biggies for quite a while.

Boeing74741R

Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:21 am

I turned the age of voting last November, and casted my first vote back in May in the local elections. My vote went to the Conservatives, and in the next general election I will also be voting for the Conservatives.

I am fed up of the current Labour government, no matter how much that piece of junk known as the Daily Mirror likes to spin it and think of them as God's gift the Britain, and Gordon Brown has proven time and time again that he is a very poor Prime Minister.

One of the main reasons why the economy is in a mess now is thanks to his over-obsession of spending and borrowing during his tenure as Chancellor and convincing everybody that it is OK to spend beyond our means. He's being lorded as the saviour of the global economy by bailing out banks, but whoever does bow down to him for that are gullible fools, because by buying into banks like RBS and the recent nationalisation of Northern Rock and Bradford & Bingley he is letting the fat cat bankers off the hook (whom also must take the blame for rubbing it in everyone's faces with stupidly high bonuses and paid-for jollys to places like Monaco) and potentially saddling the citizens of the country with massive debts and permanently high taxes should the banks prove unable to pay back the government.

Besides the economy there are also several fatal blunders that the government has committed both during Blair and Brown. The list is endless...

*Failure to hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty aka EU Constitution, thus breaking a 2005 manifesto pledge
*Unjustified university top-up fees
*Stupidly high taxes, which are clearly not being spent well
*Too much postcode lottery's when it comes to the NHS and the availability of life-saving drugs and treatment
*Series of losses of people's personal data
*Endless spin, something that Brown pledged to eradicate but failed to do so in true New Labour tradition

I could go on, but I think the message is crystal clear now. The current government has had its time, now it should go.

Quoting GDB (Reply 26):
The usually moderate British electorate snaps and the most radical change since 1945 is made, under Thatcher.

The one thing that really angers me is when people constantly attack Thatcher for her radical reforms. Coal miners is a classic example. The fact is though, Thatcher had to make those changes for the long-term good of the country, as the mines were becoming increasingly unprofitable to run, and the miners really did themselves no favours with their constant strikes.

Clearly the anti-Thatcher brigade seem to forget that if she got elected three times she must've been doing something right. It's boring hearing the same arguments being peddled over and over again. Furthermore I disagree with anyone who refuses to vote Tory because of Thatcher, as I seriously doubt that a vote for Cameron would mean a return to Thatcherism.

Today's Conservatives are different to the Conservatives of 20 years ago.

That is fair enough, and although you say that now you will realise sooner or later that your vote will make a huge difference in how the society you live in is run. Believe me, politics affect your daily life in such a massive way and you will eventually come across something like huge taxes that you won't agree on.

Once you get to that point where you think "I don't like this, I want change", it will be the time that you should get yourself onto the Electoral Register and place your vote in the first election that comes up.

If you don't agree or believe in the policies of the political parties then that is fine, but perhaps you should read their manifesto's and go for the party in which you believe the most in. Or you could run as an independent candidate and draw up your own policies!  Wink

dc10bhx

Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:01 pm

I will be voting Tory. I can remember the Tories gaining power in 1979 and have lived through Tory power all the way through Senior school and starting work. Bear in mind that when I left school I was one of 3 kids out of 120 to actually land a job. The rest of the year either went onto further education or on the dole. My wife and I bought our house under a Tory government at the time when the interest rates went sky high and then settled down again (1991).

My big objection to the Labour Party is that they were once supposed to be the party for the common man. The unions were (and still are) very big contributors to their funds but now even the unions realise that they are being shafted by the current government. I have not missed an election yet (local or national) and will continue to vote the same way as I always have.

One last thing to bear in mind:-

Politicians are like bananas. The start by being green, turn yellow, hang around in bunches and there is not a straight one amongst them.
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

SpeedBirdA380

Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:24 pm

Just to inject a slice of humour in this thread-

The wonderfully talented Rory Bremner mocking our MP's. For me no one can deliver serious points and make you laugh at the same time as well as this guy!

Vid 1- "The real Budget speech"
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nMyoOTHzgPw

Vid 2- "Theres a hole in my budget,Dear Darling"
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Uqj5F8cbE

[Edited 2008-10-17 07:29:01]

[Edited 2008-10-17 07:31:37]

MYT332

Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Quoting Cumulus (Reply 29):
That's Russell Grant you berk!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beurk?

Quoting David L (Reply 33):
I believe the fact that "people died for our right to vote" should give us the kick up the backside we need to get off our arses and vote but we must retain the right to vote for "none of the above". If you don't want to cast your vote for one of the candidates, draw a Swastika in the Tory box, a hammer and sickle in the Labour box or a mouse in the Lib-Dem box or all three. You won't be voting for anyone in particular but you will be "voting" - spoiled papers are registered as such.

I'll try that next time I think. I think you should always vote but who is the lesser of two evils?

It's all bollocks at the end of the day and you'll be dead soon enough so try to not lose too much hair over it! (says a 22 year old who is balding Sad )
One Life, Live it.

777236ER

Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Labour, mainly for the following reasons:

Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.
Highest number of police per capita ever.
Reduced crime significantly.
New Deal.
Record literacy and numeracy.
Low mortgage rates.
Doubled educational funding per pupil.
Consistently high employment.
32,000 more doctors.
80,000 more nurses.
Introduced the minimum wage.
Debt of the world's poorest countries written off.
Power devolved to the Scottish Parliament.
Power devolved to the Welsh Assembly.
Paternity leave.
Record number of higher education students.
NHS direct.
Mayor of London's office.
Child benefits increased by a quarter since Labour came into power.
Sure Start.
Introduced the Equality and Human Right's Commission
Winter fuel payment.
Fox hunting banned.
Resorted devolved power to Northern Ireland (often overlooked).
36000 more teacher in England, 250000+ more assistants and support.
Holiday entitlement for full-time workers now 24 days paid.
A million pensioners not in poverty anymore.
Child tax credit.
Scrapped Section 28
Inpatient waiting lists reduced by half a million since 1997.
Beaches, rivers and drinking water the cleanest since the start of the industrial revolution
Free TV licenses for the over 75s.
Introduced Civil Partnerships.
Free fruit for all four to six year olds in school.
Free breast cancer screening for all woman over 50.
Free off peak bus travel for the over 60s
Free eye test fr the over 60s.
Doubled the number of apprenticeships.
Free entry into all national museums and galleries.
Doubled the overseas aid budget.
Child trust funds.
Long-term youth unemployment down 75%.
Free nursery placers for all three and four year olds.

The Tories had no policies on most of these things over the last ten years, and I don't see any Tory policies from Cameron which will improve Britain. Just today he condemns Gordon Brown for the financial crisis - despite both domestic and foreign business leaders and analysists praising his liquidity injection and the rest of the western world doing the same (copying). Cameron fails to say how he would have prevented the crisis, and worse, he never mentioned any of the measures that are now being used to solve the problem. Had he been in power, Britain would be in a significantly worse state than it's in now.
Your bone's got a little machine

777236ER

Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:24 pm

There are 169 political parties in the UK. You don't agree with any of them?

Quoting DC10BHX (Reply 35):
I can remember the Tories gaining power in 1979 and have lived through Tory power all the way through Senior school and starting work. Bear in mind that when I left school I was one of 3 kids out of 120 to actually land a job

What an advert for the Tories!!

My big objection to the Labour Party is that they were once supposed to be the party for the common man. The unions were (and still are) very big contributors to their funds but now even the unions realise that they are being shafted by the current government. I have not missed an election yet (local or national) and will continue to vote the same way as I always have.

A Brown government is much closer to the unions than any Blair government.

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 34):

*Failure to hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty aka EU Constitution, thus breaking a 2005 manifesto pledge

The fact is that the electorate don't care about Europe, we've seen this time and again. It's not an important issue to the public.

*Unjustified university top-up fees

Something the Tories supported (and would expand). Perhaps the solution is to get rid of all non-core courses.

*Stupidly high taxes, which are clearly not being spent well

Taxes are lower than the majority of Europe. In what way are taxed "clearly" not being spent well? The NHS is thriving, school standards raise constantly.

*Too much postcode lottery's when it comes to the NHS and the availability of life-saving drugs and treatment

This comes from devolved power to NHS trusts. Clearly the government shouldn't run trusts, I hope you're not suggesting otherwise. What should happen is that doctors shouldn't run the NHS. Bring in managers who have had private sector experience.

*Series of losses of people's personal data

Personal blunders shouldn't dictate who you vote for - what evidence is there that Tory-run departments wouldn't have the same problems?

dc10bhx

Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:37 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 39):
I can remember the Tories gaining power in 1979 and have lived through Tory power all the way through Senior school and starting work. Bear in mind that when I left school I was one of 3 kids out of 120 to actually land a job

What an advert for the Tories!!

What I did not mention is that of the other 117 kids more than 90% of them went forward to
6th form at the same school and of that portion of the year over 50% went onto University (mainly Cambridge and Oxford). Yes it was a Grammar School and yes we still had pupils
that could not give one hoot towards education. They were the ones that went onto the
dole queue.

A Brown government is much closer to the unions than any Blair government.

This government may well be closer to the unions but they still have had issues with a
number of the groups (fire fighters / police etc). Didn't Jacqui Smith have a big bust up
with the police earlier this year over the wage increases?

My point is that even though the Tories were not perfect (and in truth still are far from
perfect) I still managed to keep employment from 1984 through to today without ever
going on the dole, my wife and I have managed to keep our house since 1991 (even through
the horrendous intrest rates of the early 90's), but have been shafted by stealth taxes
organised by Blair and Brown since they got into power. Politicians (from all Parties)
treat the general population as something to be suffered even though we put them
where they are today. Could you imagine any of the current government actually
telling the population anything but what they think we want to hear. They will tell us all
one thing then go and do exactly what they want to do.

My vote still stays the same. I would vote Tory.

GDB

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:02 pm

When I mentioned above, that I thought that even with their current popularity, the Tories were all of a sudden on the wrong side of history , I was of course alluding to the financial crisis, which is worldwide and systemic.
Let's face it, who set in stone the final triumph of British Financial Capitol away from what our near neighbours do, that is be geared more towards investment, to the casino on steroids culture.

Since far more than Labour, they are linked heavily with the city culture that has led to this pass, Labour went with it out of an almost political Faustian pact.
Then all too often, for political points, over-compensated further.
But, this is not in the 'blood' of most of the party, including the Cabinet.

Cameron was against saving Northern Rock by nationalising it, Brown, wary of this 'N' word, dithered far too long before doing so.
But now, whose the Nationalising 'Old Labour' Socialists now? George Bush presumably, given what his administration has HAD to do in recent weeks.

Brown will still in all likelihood still lose the next election, but whoever is in government, whatever our opinions, over 10 years in office is a very big ask if you want to remain popular.
Ask the Tories, Thatcher seriously started to lose it from 1988/89, so the following year, with a huge electoral defeat looming, they ditched her. (Then had a collective nervous breakdown about it for the next 10-15 years).

So if Brown has politically nothing to lose (though he may note the John Major won an election in a recession), he should basically say 'fuck it', then go with his perhaps newly re-discovered instincts.
Make some very major changes to the city culture, go with a Keynesian programme to help alleviate the rising unemployment.
Apart from anything else, the countries infrastructure could use it.

If he can find it in himself to bring Mandelson back, then get Frank Field in the Cabinet too.
Brown, in his full 'alternate government' mode in 1998, had Field booted out before he could seriously report on the major welfare reform that Blair set him to do.

Field represents some of the most deprived parts of the UK, he is to put it mildly, an obsessive expert on welfare, to put it crudely, with his local knowledge, long experience, he had a good chance of framing something that still helps those who need it, but sorts out our army of workshy. (600,000 vacancies unfilled right now, even after all those foreign workers have been, and in increasing numbers now, gone too).

This country still has unacceptable levels of deprivation and social injustice, a lot has been done to improve this these past 11 years, but these are people off the radar of much of the media.
Basically, the likes of the Daily Mail ignore them, when not vilifying them.
We spend far too much on welfare, while many remain in deprivation.
We should return to the core values of the Beveridge Report that set up the post 1945 social consensus, which did not include allowing a destructive cycle of idleness passed down through generations.

I want to see a major overhaul of the whole system, with simplicity at it's heart.
I also want to see the money saved go into more productive parts of government expenditure.

Clearly you need the work for people to do, clearly tax incentives, closing loopholes, investment from the financial sector, can help in this.
The way things have gone so awry in the financial sector recently, with the action the government has had to take, gives a great opportunity to make something positive out of all the recent chaos, as well as almost a redemption for the years of hubris, greed, incompetence of our once 'Masters Of The Universe'. (Never has the Rhyming slang Merchant Banker been so apt).
Or as former US President Lydon Johnson put it;
When you have then by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

David L

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:09 pm

What should happen is that doctors shouldn't run the NHS. Bring in managers who have had private sector experience.

I'm pretty sure the Tories got slated for doing just that.

777236ER

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Quoting DC10BHX (Reply 40):

This government may well be closer to the unions but they still have had issues with a
number of the groups (fire fighters / police etc). Didn't Jacqui Smith have a big bust up
with the police earlier this year over the wage increases?

Governments will always have issues with groups of public servants when it comes to pay negotiations.

Quoting DC10BHX (Reply 40):
I still managed to keep employment from 1984 through to today without ever
going on the dole, my wife and I have managed to keep our house since 1991 (even through
the horrendous intrest rates of the early 90's), but have been shafted by stealth taxes
organised by Blair and Brown since they got into power.

You admit yourself that you were lucky to keep your employment during the last Tory spell in power. Surely the fact you managed to keep your job isn't a good reason to re-elect that party to power?

What taxes would the Tories repeal? How much would the tax burden go down by under Cameron?

dc10bhx

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:21 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 43):
You admit yourself that you were lucky to keep your employment during the last Tory spell in power. Surely the fact you managed to keep your job isn't a good reason to re-elect that party to power?

Nowhere did I say that I was lucky to keep my job. I (unlike over two million others) got off my
arse and looked for a job (doing something that I have an interest in). My point is that even though the economic climate was in the toilet, it was still possible for someone to actually do something to earn a living. I kept my job (and still do) because I have been doing it for 24 years now and can honestly say (without too much of an inflated head) that I am bloody good at it.

My point is that since Labour got into power the general man (and woman) on the street has suffered due to unpopular taxes and decisions taken without letting the people speak. Can you mention the European Constitution?

777236ER

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:30 pm

Quoting DC10BHX (Reply 44):
Nowhere did I say that I was lucky to keep my job. I (unlike over two million others) got off my
arse and looked for a job (doing something that I have an interest in). My point is that even though the economic climate was in the toilet, it was still possible for someone to actually do something to earn a living. I kept my job (and still do) because I have been doing it for 24 years now and can honestly say (without too much of an inflated head) that I am bloody good at it.

So then the economy doesn't matter? Even if it's handled as badly as it was by the Tories in the mid to late 80s, it's OK because people can actually do things to earn a living? I'm not sure of your point.

My point is that since Labour got into power the general man (and woman) on the street has suffered due to unpopular taxes and decisions taken without letting the people speak.

It's essentially a parliamentary democracy, the people speak every time there's an election. I ask again, what taxes would Cameron repeal? By how much would the tax burden decrease?

Can you mention the European Constitution?

The Tories tried twice to gain power going down this route. It didn't work, Labour won in landslides.

ajd1992

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:05 pm

There are 169 political parties in the UK. You don't agree with any of them?

Considering the major political parties that have been in government number at around 4 (Conservative, Tory, Labour and the Liberal Democrats to a point), I don't think that the other 165-odd really matter. Put it this way - I won't be voting BNP. A lot of them are minority ones that don't get more than a few seats in local government.

Highest number of police per capita ever.
Reduced crime significantly.
32,000 more doctors.
80,000 more nurses.
Introduced the minimum wage.
Debt of the world's poorest countries written off.
Fox hunting banned.
Child tax credit.
Scrapped Section 28
Introduced Civil Partnerships.
Free fruit for all four to six year olds in school.

These are all great things that have made life better in some way. But...
It doesn't really matter - Ok, the Labour party under Tony Blair did a lot of good things, as you pointed out but I don't agree on the war in Iraq. They started it along with Bush (who is thankfully ending his term soon) so why should I vote for a party that started something that I consider ethically wrong, as well as illegal? There's only so many people you can kill before it gets to a point were people think you're just killing people for the hell of it. Look at the Iraqi human rights abuse, and the likes of Ken Bigly and Margret Hassan. Look how well the Government did dealing with that. But that's for another time.

I don't even know why I'm bothering - I'm not old enough to vote anyway.

777236ER

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 46):

Considering the major political parties that have been in government number at around 4 (Conservative, Tory, Labour and the Liberal Democrats to a point), I don't think that the other 165-odd really matter. Put it this way - I won't be voting BNP. A lot of them are minority ones that don't get more than a few seats in local government.

Parties get elected because the people elect them. If enough people vote BNP, the BNP will get into power. Your refusal to vote makes the chance of the BNP gaining power in your seat that much more likely.

These are all great things that have made life better in some way. But...
It doesn't really matter

What do you think the entire point of government is then?!

They started it along with Bush (who is thankfully ending his term soon) so why should I vote for a party that started something that I consider ethically wrong, as well as illegal?

Well, it wasn't illegal by definition, and would the war have been ethically wrong had the vote in Parliament been "The UK should go to war against Iraq to remove the despotic leader Saddam Hussein from power?" Do you agree that Saddam Hussein was a tyranical murderer who oppressed the Iraqis? In that case, isn't it ethical to go to war against him?

skidmarks

Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:18 pm

Considering the major political parties that have been in government number at around 4 (Conservative, Tory, Labour and the Liberal Democrats to a point),

Minor point of order here. Conservative AND Tory? One and the same old chap lol! Big grin

And I still wont vote, not until someone actually can convince me they have my interests at heart and not his/her own pocket/position.

Andy  old 

777236ER

Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:07 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 48):
And I still wont vote, not until someone actually can convince me they have my interests at heart and not his/her own pocket/position.

If you don't vote you risk someone getting into power that not only puts their own position first, but has views that you'd consider abhorrant. Hitler was elected.