SpeedBirdA380
Topic Author

'No God' Slogans For City's Buses

Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:05 pm

Heres the story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm

Is this offensive to peoples religious views?

Cadet57

RE: 'No God' Slogans For City's Buses

Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:25 pm

I love this quote: " Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large"  rotfl 
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

jamincan

Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:28 pm

I don't see why it should be any more offensive than a sign telling me to "be prepared to meet thy Maker!" Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if something like this generated an uproar.

skidmarks

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:00 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
I love this quote: " Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large"

Coupled with the statement "People don't like being preached at" from a guy from Christian Voice. Er, isn't that what the church does? Preach? Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

MadameConcorde

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:29 pm

I believe this is offensive to some people.

Can you imagine a sign saying "There is No Allah" on city busses?
I bet you the Muslims would be offended.

The same if you posted "There is No Vishnu". Then the Hindus would be offended.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

777236ER

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:23 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 4):
I believe this is offensive to some people.

The same if you posted "There is No Vishnu". Then the Hindus would be offended.

To me, the majority of the ideas shoved down our throats from most religions offend me. Religion has the absolute right not to be offended and seems to think it deserves respect automatically.

I don't care that you're offended and there's no freedom from offence in law.
Your bone's got a little machine

MadameConcorde

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:47 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 5):

I never said I was the one to be offended. I said I believe this will be offensive to some people.
The word God is generic. If you replace the word God by Allah it will start a feud. Some believers do not like it that we play around with their religion. Think of the Danish cartoons.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

vikkyvik

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:54 pm

I love this quote: " Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large"

I can just see some pastor at their next sermon:

"Ride a bendy-bus and you will be headed straight to eternal damnation!"
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Mir

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:55 pm

Quoting SpeedBirdA380 (Thread starter):

Probably. But if it's being paid for with private money, I don't see the problem.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

David L

Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:59 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 6):
I said I believe this will be offensive to some people.

Of course it will be offensive to some people. Even the mention of religion causes offence to some people. However, this all comes back to the idea that it's apparently OK to advertise any religion but it's not OK to advertise a lack of religion.

What surprises me is that anyone feels the need to advertise atheism/agnosticism in an increasingly agnostic society.

DocLightning

Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:08 pm

I mean, it's equally offensive to me when a religion comes down on me with an advert or approach that is just as heavy-handed or even moreso.

But the fact remains that either way, dogma, even if it's "atheist dogma" is the enemy of humanity.

And I will point out that while the people in BHA may all be atheists, BHA is not an atheist organization. The reason is that atheism is a lack of a belief and thus doesn't require any organization to support itself.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

lowrider

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:09 pm

Not to mine. All I would ask is that I have the same right to buy advertising for pro-Christianity messages. No one has the right no not be offended.
Proud OOTSK member

IH8BY

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:21 pm

I'm afraid this bunch annoy me at least as much as the most irritating of the evangelical Christians. Slogans and adverts for either side (Dawkins, despite having issues with all religion, is particularly keen on targeting Christians) don't seem to make me feel positively about either point of view.
Have you ever felt like you could float into the sky / like the laws of physics simply don't apply?

CrimsonNL

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:35 pm

I don't think this should be any more offensive then huge JESUS SAVES signs, or stories that you will burn in hell if you do not believe in god.
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

davehammer

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:05 pm

They can put whatever they like on the buses. If they pay for the space and it doesn't break any laws then who cares. Having said that I'm not a religious man by any stretch but I find Dawkins particularly irritating in his approach.

Blackbird

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:06 pm

I think it's not a good idea. Not the "There's probably no God" part, but the "Now go on and enjoy your lives"

It almost is sending the message that people shouldn't worry about behaving and just should be enjoying themselves at all costs...

Look, I'm not saying Atheists lack morality (I'm an Atheist). I'm saying the message on the bus basically could be perceived as saying that people should abandon their beliefs and simply focus on enjoying themselves at any cost (even if it is not good for the public good).

I personally think that secularism should be advanced through education and critical thinking -- religion, both intensity and numbers of believers are fading off at an amazing rate of speed, and largely for these reasons.

And regardless of whether a person wants to believe in no god, twenty gods, or a hundred gods, they should ALWAYS exercize morality and ethics. I'm not saying people shouldn't have fun... As a rule my attitude regarding fun is so long as it does not hurt anybody. However if it hurts people, that is not a good thing.

glid4500

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:00 pm

" Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large"

Articulated Buses ( aka Bendy ) are a lot safer than the millions of other motorists I share the road with. I'm fortunate enough to drive them twice a week .. wish it was everyday  Smile
http://www.facebook.com/ea90744

n229nw

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:05 pm

Quoting IH8BY (Reply 12):
I'm afraid this bunch annoy me at least as much as the most irritating of the evangelical Christians. Slogans and adverts for either side (Dawkins, despite having issues with all religion, is particularly keen on targeting Christians) don't seem to make me feel positively about either point of view.

Agreed. I have great respect for Dawkins's work as a scientist, but I find his manner as a proselytizer arrogant. I say this as a skeptic, as someone who agrees with most of his beliefs. In other words, I think the idea of lumping all religious people into one mold as the "unthinking masses" is ridiculous and intellectually as clumsy as some of the specious arguments offered by religions themselves.

To put it another way: if I had 72,000 pounds (or whatever the budget is to run these posters from the BHA together with Dawkins' matching), I'd throw it at real education about the scientific method, how it differs from faith, etc. etc. rather than a soundbite that is calculated to do nothing but 1.) preach to the choir (perhaps a poor choice of expression here!) and 2.) deliberately offend some Chirstians, Muslims, etc., without offering any constructive counterargument.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

WunalaYann

Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:10 pm

Considering the fuss some of them kick every time we try to bring some sort of humorous perspective into religion (e.g. the Muhammad cartoons), I guess anything short of everyone converting to Islam is considered offensive.  Smile

Quoting Glid4500 (Reply 16):
Articulated Buses ( aka Bendy ) are a lot safer than the millions of other motorists I share the road with. I'm fortunate enough to drive them twice a week .. wish it was everyday

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

I wholeheartedly second your statement.

Blackbird

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:43 am

I think DocLightning is right regarding this approach being dogmatic, and dogma being dangerous to mankind...

Blackbird

YYZatcboy

Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:03 am

I like it, It's fun and positive. Hope they bring it to Toronto. Big grin
DHC1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30 B727 735/6/7/8/9 762/3 E175/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150. J/S DH8D 736/7/8

miamix707

Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:07 am

It would not be offensive to me, at all. Funny and desperate maybe.

I see it like this: The hardest people try to prove that God doesn't exist, the more it proves God is real.

Blackbird

Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:32 am

DocLightning,

Generally the observation I've made is that the more religious the society, the more bitter, and disgruntled the atheists are; The more atheistic the society is, the more bitter and disgruntled the religious people are.

Blackbird

Doona

Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:41 am

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 15):
It almost is sending the message that people shouldn't worry about behaving and just should be enjoying themselves at all costs...

OK, it's this kind of attitude that messes up society. Telling people to enjoy their lives is now a bad thing?

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 21):
The hardest people try to prove that God doesn't exist, the more it proves God is real.

Which in turn is you trying to prove that God IS real, thus proving him unreal, albeit not in a very convincing way. Could you be more fervent in your reasoning? Jeez, I'm not making much sense, am I?

The part in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where God actually manages to disprove his own existance and subsequently "vanishes in a puff of logic" comes to mind...

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

ShyFlyer

Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:59 am

I really wouldn't be offended, though I do disagree with it (the message, not the posting of said message on buses). I've grown quite a thick skin when it comes to these things. As a Christian, I've been called many things like backward, brainwashed, hate-filled, and so on. I doesn't affect me.
I lift things up and put them down.

Ch1nsAc

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:02 am

I'm bitter for dismissing a completely illogical argument....?

*sigh*

Look, I'm an atheist and always will be - for the reason that I don't like the way religion encourages people to not understand the world around them. To not question, argue and reason. It requires blind faith, which I can't understand how anyone could be content with. It seems to be the easy way out. The path for a weak mind.

There's nothing negative or bitter or sad or 'in need of loving' in being atheist. I'd say it's more 'sad' that you devote your entire life to a fallacy. It's sad that you can't observe the world around you and simply appreciate it's beauty without attributing it's creation to a higher being. The awe I feel when I think about how improbable any of us being here, on this planet, at this time, for such a short period of time in the history of the galaxy, never to see it again. That fills me with more contentment and a stronger desire to live my life to the fullest than any old book & wasting every sunday morning ever could.

"One day we'll see who this hilarious "joke" is really on though"

I'll take my chances. Ironically, I think my 'hell' would be heaven - surrounded by religious nut jobs for eternity. Send me to hell, please!!

[Edited 2008-10-22 01:08:45]

DocLightning

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:44 am

Quoting Ch1nsAc (Reply 34):

I'll take my chances. Ironically, I think my 'hell' would be heaven - surrounded by religious nut jobs for eternity. Send me to hell, please!!

Yeah. Wherever Jerry Falwell went? I want to go to the other place. As far from him as possible.

Yeah, thanks. Which handbasket now? That one? OK. Seat 3A. Um, do I get peanuts on this flight or is that a stupid question?

Oh, how cute, they even have the handbaskets follow a road that's paved with good intentions!

(I'm already going to hell, so what do I have to lose?)
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

GDB

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:15 am

The main reason this is being considered, is that some group brought advertising space on London Buses, the quoted we link on the poster led to sites that declared that atheists will burn in hell.
Nice. Really got the tolerance and love they neighbour stuff down haven't they?

As for that tiny Christian Voice bunch, well they should really piss off to somewhere else, this is the wrong country for them.
Since we've been there, done the theocratic terror stuff centuries ago, over it now, so you missed the bus in that respect.
(And it would be more honest too, for the next time time they try to censor a TV broadcast by getting all their foreign friends to mass e-mail the programme makers to try and make out they've some major support. Along with all the death threats and their publishing of home addresses of the programme makers).

signol

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:12 pm

Quoting Glid4500 (Reply 16):
Articulated Buses ( aka Bendy ) are a lot safer than the millions of other motorists I share the road with. I'm fortunate enough to drive them twice a week .. wish it was everyday

Trouble is when they're used on the narrow, twisty roads of London, and other British cities, where our roads can't cope with the length... Hench double deckers being prevalent  Smile

As for the message, it's an interesting point, in that it does make people think about things. I'm a Christian, but I'd much rather people thought about things and came to the conclusion than just blindly follow what the preacher tells them. Our vicar is a lovely guy, but I do disagree with him on some points...

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

seansasLCY

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:13 pm

I hope this goes ahead. In London we had christian bible verus put on buses and trains as adverts telling us what god says we should do so why can't atheists advertise their beliefs on the bus.

Kent350787

Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:23 pm

I have no problem with these ads - but then I don't believe in a god or gods. Yes, they may offend some people, but only in the same way religious dogma offends me.

As for the "what would happen/why isn't it there is no Allah", I understand that Christianity is the majority religion in London - why would you focus your efforts on the minority belief!

Kent

allrite

Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:01 pm

I saw a sign outside a church yesterday as I walked to work. It said "Don't leave your brain at the door."

I felt an urge to add to the sign:

"Bring it in for a wash."

[Edited 2008-10-22 16:03:13]
I like artificial banana essence!

BA

Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:03 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 6):
The word God is generic. If you replace the word God by Allah it will start a feud. Some believers do not like it that we play around with their religion.

The word Allah is also generic. It's just the Arabic translation of the word God so it's not specific to Muslims. Arab Christians say Allah just like Muslims do.

The bible written in Arabic will say Allah.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

aerorobnz

Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:49 am

I don't give a fuck. Say what you like - put it on a bus billboard if you like, who gives a damn whether a bunch of hypocrites are offended. With religious folk it is always do as I say not as I do.
People who get offended about trivial things have too much time on their hands and no real life worries to stress about.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Blackbird

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:35 am

Doona,

Quote:
OK, it's this kind of attitude that messes up society. Telling people to enjoy their lives is now a bad thing?

No, enjoying one's life is not bad. So long as enjoying your life does not hurt someone else

Doona

Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:59 am

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 43):
So long as enjoying your life does not hurt someone else

So,"There is no God, enjoy your life as long as you don't hurt anybody" would have been better? Is it just me, or do we tend to need more and more instructions/advice on how to do everything? IMO, there is no freaking way that a statement that says "Enjoy your life" has any bad connotations, and anyone who believes the contrary needs to chill out and stop finding problems and dangers in everything. That said, a healthy dose of critical thinking is not a bad thing, but this is just going overboard...

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

Mason

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am

The only comment I can offer, in an attempt to round-out this interesting discussion, is the following from a well-respected late Christian leader and scholar.

"First, brothers and sisters, some brief samples illustrating the challenge of making our way through today’s Sinai of secularism, and then a focus on how inspired children help in that trek.

'All about us we see the bitter and abundant harvest from permissiveness. A perceptive person has acknowledged: “The struggle to live ethically without God has left us not with the just and moral order we imagined but with disorder and confusion.

'Something has gone radically wrong with secularism. The problem has more than its share of irony, for secularism, in the end, has converted itself into a kind of religion. …

'… Now the transition is complete: the state has become the church' (Peter Marin, “Secularism’s Blind Faith,” Harper’s Magazine, Sept. 1995, 20).

"The more what is politically correct seeks to replace what God has declared correct, the more ineffective approaches to human problems there will be, all reminding us of C. S. Lewis’s metaphor about those who run around with fire extinguishers in times of flood. For instance, there are increasing numbers of victims of violence and crime, yet special attention is paid to the rights of criminals. Accompanying an ever increasing addiction to pornography are loud alarms against censorship. Rising illegitimacy destroys families and threatens the funding capacities of governments; nevertheless, chastity and fidelity are mocked. These and other consequences produce a harsh cacophony. When Nero fiddled as Rome burned, at least he made a little music! I have no hesitancy, brothers and sisters, in stating that unless checked, permissiveness, by the end of its journey, will cause humanity to stare in mute disbelief at its awful consequences.

"Ironically, as some people become harder, they use softer words to describe dark deeds. This, too, is part of being sedated by secularism! Needless abortion, for instance, is a “reproductive health procedure,” which is an even more “spongy expression” than “termination of pregnancy” (George McKenna, “On Abortion: A Lincolnian Position,” Atlantic Monthly, Sept. 1995, 52, 54). “Illegitimacy” gives way to the wholly sanitized words “nonmarital birth” or “alternative parenting” (Ben J. Wattenberg, Values Matter Most [1995], 173).

"Therefore, brothers and sisters, quiet goodness must persevere, even when, as prophesied, a few actually rage in their anger against that which is good (see 2 Ne. 28:20). Likewise, the arrogance of critics must be met by the meekness and articulateness of believers. If sometimes ringed by resentment, we must still reach out, especially for those whose hands hang down (see D&C 81:5). If our shortcomings as a people are occasionally highlighted, then let us strive to do better."

-Neal A. Maxwell, “‘Becometh As a Child’,” Ensign, May 1996, 68, borrowed from lds.org

DocLightning

Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:16 am

Quoting Mason (Reply 45):

'Something has gone radically wrong with secularism. The problem has more than its share of irony, for secularism, in the end, has converted itself into a kind of religion. …

No. Some people have tried to. But it is not a religion by definition.

And as soon as he says that, the rest of the argument is nonsense.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Kent350787

Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:19 am

No fair - a Christian who isn't outraged by these bus ads!!!

Blackbird

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:07 am

Doona

Quote:
Is it just me, or do we tend to need more and more instructions/advice on how to do everything?

The past 20 years, if anything some people (certainly not all though) have gotten dumber and these people seem to have less and less common sense. With that said -- some instructions are sometimes necessary.

I mean I obviously (and most atheists/agnostics) know that "enjoy your life" means "stop worrying about going to hell and all that stuff it's probably not even real", and obviously has no connotation or suggestion to abandoning ethics/morality/decency and to engage in every hedonistic act known to mankind... but there's inevitably a hand-full of people (for various reasons) who will see such a sign and interpret it as -- "Look, God doesn't exist so enjoy your life and do every hedonistic thing you've ever wanted to do even if it's totally wrong because you only have one life and this is it..."

Blackbird

miamix707

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:14 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 31):
Your'e lucky you didn't the cargo bay picture (cue cargo bay picture).

It was in a joking mood, it helps to have a little sense of humor buddy. And a cargo bay would've been kinda hilarious actually  Wink

But apparently you think that's something very negative? And also very apparent you would've wished I'd gotten a picture of a cargo bay. All this vibe of hatefulness because you can't accept that others refuse to see the world through atheist, gay men binoculars?

Those wishes show feelings that are the opposite of kindness, wishing for a "don't care" picture just because I said someone should wish me Happy Birthday. See what I'm getting at? If you truly had love, you'd be returning it, thus, showing it.

Quoting Ch1nsAc (Reply 34):

awesome! NOW you're cool (cough, cough)

Quoting SeansasLCY (Reply 38):
I hope this goes ahead. In London we had christian bible verus put on buses and trains as adverts telling us what god says we should do so why can't atheists advertise their beliefs on the bus.

Met too, at the end, we need to be reminded God is there, even if it's precisely though those who hate the very belief in our creator.

It's also called free speech. In fact I wish those signs weren't so small. They need to make those bigger. That way perhaps the target audience like GDB, and others who might lap this up, could find it much more credible. Too much of a fine print would be my reaction  Smile

DocLightning

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:35 am

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 48):
no connotation or suggestion to abandoning ethics/morality/decency and to engage in every hedonistic act known to mankind...

Awww, but why not???
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

PPVRA

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:58 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 5):

I agree that there shouldn't be, but government needs to remain a neutral entity, leaving statements like "no god" to political parties.

It's also questionable that there are no anti-offence laws.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

HowSwedeitis

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:02 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 21):
The hardest people try to prove that God doesn't exist, the more it proves God is real.

I am utterly confused by this statement... The hardest people try to prove that the flying spaghetti monster doesn't exist, the more it proves the flying spaghetti monster is real??!!??  Confused

Quoting Doona (Reply 32):
The part in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

You Dork. (J/K  Wink)

Oh, silly humans and their ideas and beliefs...  sarcastic 

-HSII
Heja Sverige!!

Blackbird

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:45 am

DocLightning,

Quote:
Awww, but why not???

Because if human beings abandoned ethics, morality, and decency, society would cease to exist.

Now, I'm not saying having fun is bad -- I'm saying there is definitely something wrong, however, with having fun if it would harm other people: Ever heard the saying "Your freedom ends at my nose?"

Blackbird

DocLightning

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:18 am

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 53):

Because if human beings abandoned ethics, morality, and decency, society would cease to exist.

I was...

...kidding.  Smile

I am, however, a hedonist. But if you look up what hedonism actually is, you may find that you are, too.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

henkybaby

Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:17 am

I object.

I object to the use of the word 'probably' in the statement. 'There is no God' would be really voicing the point of view of the initiators.

I am an anti-theist. The difference with an atheist is that I do believe there is something you could call 'God' only that it is a figment of man's imagination. It became a meme, for those in the know. One cannot deny that 'God' exist, one can only debate if it is a 'man made concept' or a true super-being.

Occam's razor would make it far more likely that man invented God than vice-versa. At first to explain the wondrous world around him, later to oppress all other beings around him who did not share his (superior) view.

I am not opposed to personal beliefs (individual freedom is important), but I oppose organized religion that used this imaginary God-concept. It brought us more bad than good. Therefore I am against this 'God' that man invented: Anti-Theist.

So believe what you want, but do not try to let me live according to your rules and stop convincing me of your moral superiority. That being the sentiment of a lot of atheist this 'campaign' is contradictory to their own 'beliefs'.

So I don't think religious people should be offended but I think atheist should be.  Smile
Wherever you go, there you are!

Doona

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:37 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 48):
do every hedonistic thing you've ever wanted to do even if it's totally wrong because you only have one life and this is it...

Hey, that's my life philosophy right there... And I'm doing fine...

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 49):
we need to be reminded God is there

I don't. I get along fine without reminders of things that have no bearing on my life whatsoever.

Cheers
Mats

DocLightning

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:56 pm

Quoting Henkybaby (Reply 55):

I object to the use of the word 'probably' in the statement.

They're British. They always understate. It's just one of those British things.

Well, unless they're talking about how much beer they can drink. Then they OVERstate.

duck 
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

skidmarks

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:31 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 57):
Well, unless they're talking about how much beer they can drink. Then they OVERstate.

Dream on, Baby Doc, dream on!!! Big grin

Anyway, about the only person on here who nearly made sense is Henkybaby, and then he only hiccoughed with his use of the language.

God is man-made. An admirable concept in it's common form but a lethal weapon in the hands of extremists and loonys. Religion has many fine points to live by. Sadly, man keeps interpreting these points in different ways to justify his actions, and that usually means oppressing and eliminating the people who disagree with him. All the religions have been, or are being, guilty of this at one time or another.

However, man needs something to live by, some creed or code, and religion gives that to him. He just has to realise that not everyone wants to live by the same creed or code.

Look around you. Every day we see examples of people who don't live by any creed other than "Me, Me, Me"! Selfish, rude and mostly downright greedy and ignorant. Drive like complete assholes and think the world was made to serve them. And that's just the Chavs around Crawley!!

Believe in God? Yes, I do, it's simply the location I differ in. He doesn't live on a cloud, or on Mars (although you never know) he lives inside us. We all have our own God, some aligned with others, but all serving one purpose and thats giving us something to hang on to when the shit hits the fan or when we are emotionally screwed.

My God serves a damn good Malt Whisky when required, makes me emotional when I'm upset and makes me love my wife when she steals all the bedcovers.

We're all human (even Chavs and people from Scotland). We all have to live together and put up with each other. We're an integral part of this world we are currently trying to wreck. And we're all the same inside (apart from Doctor Who)

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional