OA260

Toyota's New Car For 2009

Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:13 pm

So Toyota has come up with their own version of the Smart I see.

Comments ? Do you like it ? Will you buy it ?

luv2fly

RE: Toyota's New Car For 2009

Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:20 pm

Where would I put our Golden Retriever.....
You can cut the irony with a knife

iflykpdx

Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:57 pm

It looks pissed off, haha. Like a little angry Thomas the Tank Engine car.
Airport Management - UND

Cadet57

Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:00 pm

Quoting Oa260 (Thread starter):

Jesus, my cousins dora the explorer power wheel's is bigger...
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Jpax

Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:04 pm

Comments ?

Yes.

Do you like it ?

No.

Will you buy it ?

Aw hell naw.

Dougloid

Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:11 pm

Quoting IflyKPDX (Reply 3):
It looks pissed off, haha. Like a little angry Thomas the Tank Engine car.

Kinda like a smurf with hemorrhoids.

laughing   laughing   laughing   laughing 
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

ThePRGuy

Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:31 pm

Probably a good car as usual from toyota - but the yaris is dire, so surely this will be more of the same stuff.

I guess more people will have to move into smaller cars in the future anyway.
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

PHLBOS

Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:41 pm

Comments ?

vomit   vomit   vomit   vomit   vomit 
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

A332

Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:44 pm

Looks like a pop can on wheels... I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those!
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

ANITIX87

Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:56 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 7):
pop can

SODA! Not POP! hahaha A soda can!

I like it. I may be tempted to buy it depending on performance. For example, I'd get a Yaris over the Smart any day since it gets the same gas mileage but is bigger. If this outperforms the Yaris I might consider it.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

ShyFlyer

Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:58 pm

If I needed a vehicle to make a long commute to/from work, I might look at this. Sometimes my opinions of a vehicle change after seeing them "in person."

At least it doesn't have its speedo mounted in the center of the dash.
I lift things up and put them down.

desertjets

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:07 pm

While I get the concept and purpose of micro-compact cars and I get their place in certain markets... I just don't get it for me. I see the need to move towards more fuel-efficient vehicles, and my future purchases will most certainly reflect that, but I see much more value in a more flexible and versatile vehicle. Frankly something like a Honda Fit, which is surprisingly roomy, makes much more sense to me.

Places where the compactness and maneuverability of the iQ or Smart make sense are probably places where improvements and investments in transit and types of development that allow for walking/biking/transit make even more sense. In general in those cases I'd like to see a move away from the personal automobile.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

OA260

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:08 pm

Here is the price and Spec:

http://www.octane.ie/news/article.php?id=449

With carbon dioxide emissions starting at a road tax-free 99g/km and combined cycle fuel economy of 65.7mpg for the 1.0-litre VVT-i with manual transmission, iQ is more than a match for many of its eco-themed rivals. And it returns these remarkable figures without having to sacrifice style, creature comforts and ride quality.
Its ground breaking design makes it the ideal compact machine for around-town driving, but with all the stability and handling dynamics of a larger car to keep it on the pace on the open highway. It can turn on a sixpence and slot easily into parking spaces that are forbidden territory to its rivals, yet the interior is spacious and flexible.
At launch the iQ range offers a revised version of Toyota’s award-winning* 1.0-litre three-cylinder VVT-i engine with a choice of five-speed manual transmission or Multidrive, the latest development of Toyota’s continuously variable transmission. On-the-road prices start at £9,495.

Delta767300ER

Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:49 pm

Quote:
Do you like it ?

No! It is your typical cheap economic looking car.

Quote:
Will you buy it ?

Hell no. I cant stand these small econoboxes.

-Delta767300ER

RayChuang

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:00 pm

There are persistent rumors that Toyota will show a US-legal version of the iQ at the Los Angeles Auto Show next month. It will be badged as a Scion model (hence the possible name Scion iQ), will use a 1.3-liter I-4 engine rated at around 85 bhp, and will offer either a five-speed manual or CVT automatic as transmission choices.

Why the Scion badge? Mostly because the iQ is much more a "fashion statement" than the Yaris economy car, and as such Toyota could price the vehicle higher.

Cadet57

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:08 pm

Its so ugly, like that puppy at the pet shop no one wanted...

ABQ747

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:18 pm

Are Japanese automakers in a race to see who can build the ugliest car?
The reason New Mexico is so windy is because Texas sucks and Arizona blows.

A332

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:28 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 15):

Now, let's wait for the usual suspects to advise us that because it is a Toyota, it is the best thing since sliced bread.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

stasisLAX

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting IflyKPDX (Reply 3):
t looks pissed off, haha. Like a little angry Thomas the Tank Engine car.

More like a pissed off Pokemon!

Hey, if it's cheaper and more polished than the overpriced and somewhat crude Smart, I think that it would make an uber-cool "city car" here in Los Angeles.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

TSS

Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:23 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 10):

My first thought as well. The center-mounted instrument cluster wasn't state of the art on Model A Fords and it certainly has no place on modern vehicles, either.

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 16):
Are Japanese automakers in a race to see who can build the ugliest car?

Yes they are. They have been competing very strongly in that race since the end of WWII. Nissan generally leads the race by pushing current automotive styling trends to their most absurd extremes (Nissan's "Piece Of Plastic Gone Warpy In The Sun/Car That Fell to Earth" look from the 70s, "No Curves Allowed/Origami" look from the 80s, and "Shapeless Blob/Jellybean" look from the 90s are three stunning examples), but Mazda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and Subaru have produced outstandingly ugly individual vehicles as well.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

OA260

Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:04 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 18):

LOL..... I dont think I would buy one. I have a Black Smart car and I love it .

Francoflier

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:22 pm

Not the best looking car from toyota, although I have to acknowledge their effort to depart from their usual dull styling.

I am no fan of these type of cars either, but I don't get all the flaming.... Shouldn't it be objectively compared to its competitors? (mostly the Smart, but there are a few others).

Admitedly, I don't see the point of such a car in the US where every city has wide streets and ample parking. If you're looking after fuel economy, $15000 is a lot of money that could be spent on fuel in your old car, even if it's a V6.

The size and economy does makes sense in many Japanese and European cities, and that's where it'll be sold.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Dreadnought

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Guys, I see a lot of laughs and guffaws here, but Toyota has just put out a SMARTCar-killer. Smart has sold oodles of those cars (Americans might not realize how popular it's been in Europe) and basically had the segment to itself for the last 10 years. Here comes a high-quality Japanese product, competitively priced with great milage, and if Mercedes (the owner of Smart) is not careful, they may be pushed right out of the segment.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

rsg85

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:54 pm

i think its a wickid looking little car, havent seen the rear end tho which can be a real killer (celica and aygo comes to mind)

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 9):
If this outperforms the Yaris I might consider it.

same, i used to have a yaris as a company car, as useful as it was in city driving it was useless anywhere else, ride on lawn mowers had better acceleration, its best feature was the number of cup holders.

TylerDurden

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:58 pm

It looks like something I scraped off my shoe.

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 18):

I like that comparison. So, I'll agree.

Superfly

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Gosh I wish I never even opened this thread.  yuck 
Like seeing a bad car accident, you know it's going to be bad but still shocked at the results.

Do you like it ?

NO!

Will you buy it ?

HELL NO!

Now here is a Toyota I would like to buy.  drool 
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mons/c/c8/Toyota_century(VG40).jpg
Bring back the Concorde

DfwRevolution

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:28 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 22):
Guys, I see a lot of laughs and guffaws here, but Toyota has just put out a SMARTCar-killer. Smart has sold oodles of those cars (Americans might not realize how popular it's been in Europe) and basically had the segment to itself for the last 10 years.

True, but for that very reason SMART has built a certain cachet around their product. Just like the iPod and iPhone are not necessarily the absolute best devices by specification, Apple has superior brand recognition and a hip image. I think it's somewhat unfair, but Toyota does have a reputation for being stodgy and they are trying to fight that image. Toyota's SMART competitor seems like the Zune of the market.

Given the clientele for such a vehicle, I'm almost surprised Toyota isn't marketing it as a Scion.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 10):

Agreed, I hate that configuration.

B6JFKH81

Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:23 pm

I think I could strap an engine to a roller skate and get the same effect as this car.  thumbsdown 
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

lewis

Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:12 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 15):

I agree it is not very appealing in looks but the photos provided are from the concept car, the normal one looks like this:

Nicoeddf

Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:30 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):
Gosh I wish I never even opened this thread.
Like seeing a bad car accident, you know it's going to be bad but still shocked at the results.

Absolutely true, whereas I have totally different reasons for this.

It seems absolutly impossible to show any eco-friendly, smart (not the brand) and for European and Japanese, Indian and Chinese, generally tight built cities made (you know, the ones with REAL history) car in a US dominated forum without getting uneducated flame for it.

This car, like the Smart (yes, the product), is the very best you can get in cities like Rome, Madrid, Paris, London, Berlin, Munich and Frankfurt, Peking and Tokyo (and on, and on...). No one will really miss his own car. Very true, so theres the smartest solution to it with todays technology.

Thankfully, there are always exeptions to the broad mass of flamers:

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 11):
While I get the concept and purpose of micro-compact cars and I get their place in certain markets... I just don't get it for me. I see the need to move towards more fuel-efficient vehicles, and my future purchases will most certainly reflect that, but I see much more value in a more flexible and versatile vehicle.

Very true. Just to add that being flexible and versatile in Rome or Madrid or Firenze or whatever means to be able to actually HAVE a car and STILL find a place to park it in the evening.

Cadet57

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:59 pm

Quoting Lewis (Reply 28):
I agree it is not very appealing in looks but the photos provided are from the concept car, the normal one looks like this:

Good lord, that one is uglier...  yuck 

Superfly

Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:15 pm

Quoting NicoEDDF (Reply 29):
in a US dominated forum without getting uneducated flame for it.

"uneducated" huh?
Everyone has their own personal taste.
Deal with it.

tight built cities made (you know, the ones with REAL history)

So we are a newer country. Big frikkin deal.
Deal with it.
Bring back the Concorde

Dougloid

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:44 am

It seems absolutly impossible to show any eco-friendly, smart (not the brand) and for European and Japanese, Indian and Chinese, generally tight built cities made (you know, the ones with REAL history) car in a US dominated forum without getting uneducated flame for it.

Don't go getting all Eurosnotty with da boyz here, lest we start examining German Kultur and what it's got on its frackin' resume. REAL history, as you say.

The car is flat ass ugly and has no style. I don't give a rat's ass if it has more tricks and gadgets than a Swiss army knife and can do everything except buy you lunch.

It's got no class. It's ug-leeeeeeeeeeeee. It looks like a Smurf with a bad case of the piles.

Now that's flame, and I'm definitely as educated as you, maybe more so.

grumpy   grumpy 

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
in a US dominated forum without getting uneducated flame for it.

"uneducated" huh?
Everyone has their own personal taste.
Deal with it.

tight built cities made (you know, the ones with REAL history)

So we are a newer country. Big frikkin deal.
Deal with it.

Tell 'im, Brother.

You got a witness.

Wink
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

RayChuang

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:49 am

Guys, I see a lot of laughs and guffaws here, but Toyota has just put out a SMARTCar-killer.

However, there are persistent rumors that Ford is seriously looking at selling this car in the USA:

The US-market Ka will likely be sourced from either Mexico or Brazil at one of Ford's assembly lines there. This new car could cut into sales of the iQ and Smart ForTwo because it's not so unconventional in concept, which means the Ka is more attractive to American buyers.

Francoflier

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:13 am

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 33):
However, there are persistent rumors that Ford is seriously looking at selling this car in the USA:

I don't get car manufacturers and their approach to the US market...

A few years ago, all they could swear by were large SUVs and boat sized sedans with huge engines. Then there was a fuel crisis, and all of a sudden, they're looking for the smallest things on wheel they can get their hands on...

There are dozens of good looking, roomy, economical medium sized cars around that could provide a good transition towards smaller vehicles. It's not like the average guy driving his Focus, Golf or Civic in the US will suddendly find his car too cumbersome, expensive and damaging to the environment...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Superfly

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:35 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 32):
Don't go getting all Eurosnotty with da boyz here, lest we start examining German Kultur and what it's got on its frackin' resume. REAL history, as you say.

splat 

It looks like a Smurf with a bad case of the piles.

Don't insult the Smurfs.
At least the Smurfs were cute.

Now that's flame, and I'm definitely as educated as you, maybe more so.

...and you've lived in more places too.

I don't give a rat's ass if it has more tricks and gadgets than a Swiss army knife and can do everything except buy you lunch.

I don't even think this car can do that.
Bring back the Concorde

MarSciGuy

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:48 pm

Quoting Oa260 (Reply 12):
On-the-road prices start at £9,495.

So that's, roughly speaking, just shy of USD $20,000, right?

I've seen at least several, if not many, cars quite a lot bigger then the iQ that are cheaper then that that I'd probably be more likely to buy!
"There weren't a ton of gnats there where a ton of gnats and their families as well!"

MAH4546

Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:48 am

(Americans might not realize how popular it's been in Europe)

It's been hit or miss depending on the country. More popular in southern Europe than northern Europe.

The United States, however, is quickly on its way to becoming the largest market for Smart cars. Absent a sales collapse, more Smarts will be sold in the U.S. in 2009 than any other country.
a.

AvObserver

Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:58 pm

Doubtless this little gem will get better mileage than the mediocre U.S. spec Smart car owing to Toyota's near flawless engineering. It's not a looker but I don't ask for much and if it turns out to be fairly crashworthy, despite its smallness and performs reasonably with stellar fuel economy, I'd consider one. I'd likely rather go for a Honda Fit for its bigger, flexible interior but this looks like a big leap over the Smart car, given the extra passenger capacity. Being a bit bigger and likely a bit more robust in build, it's likely to be safer, too. Superfly and his ilk will hate me for admiring this but I've got to think gas prices will go up in the long run and that those like me without families can easily live with such a car. I admire the design for its packaging effiency and doubtless engineering prowess. Looking forward to speccing one out.

Superfly

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:40 am

Quoting AvObserver (Reply 38):
Superfly and his ilk will hate me for admiring this but I've got to think gas prices will go up in the long run and that those like me without families can easily live with such a car.

Wont hate you at all pal.
I understand that your taste in vehicles is rather special.
Afterall, you do/did own a Pontiac Aztec.  Wink

No doubt, gas prices will go up again, and again, and again.........
Bring back the Concorde

HowSwedeitis

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:59 am

Hell-to-the-NO. I would never buy that tiny car. Too small, not enough doors.

-HSII
Heja Sverige!!

ThePRGuy

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:24 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 25):
Now here is a Toyota I would like to buy. drool

Thought you might mention that one - they are comedy cars Big grin
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

bill142

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:39 am

Someone with a low IQ came up with this one.......