Beaucaire
Topic Author

US Helicopters Attack Syrian Village..

Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:53 pm

..and kill several civilians...
Newsreports indicate the village is close to the Iraqi border and 9 villagers have been killed ,others wounded.
as usual the US army will "investiagte"...
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24556904-23109,00.html
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

flexo

RE: US Helicopters Attack Syrian Village..

Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:00 pm

Interesting, I didn't know they were operating in Syria.
It is always easy to claim that the victims were civilians though as the enemy in Iraq and Afghanistan rarley wears a uniform!

DocLightning

Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:01 pm

The "investigation" isn't going to return these people to their families.

Bush himself should be held accountable for each and every civilian death he caused during this "war," which violated international law.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

MD11Engineer

Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:03 pm

Great!  Yeah sure
And this at a time when the Syrian president is trying to control his extremist hardliners in the intelligence services and military and is starting peacetalks with e.g. Israel.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

DocLightning

Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:59 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 3):

And this at a time when the Syrian president is trying to control his extremist hardliners in the intelligence services and military and is starting peacetalks with e.g. Israel.

Leave it to the U.S. to screw things up.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

oldeuropean

Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:15 pm

Ehm ... elections in 9 days.

Anyone else who thinks that this stinks?
A little help for Mr. McCain from his pals in Washington. 

Axel

[Edited 2008-10-26 13:25:49]

[Edited 2008-10-26 13:41:53]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

Beaucaire
Topic Author

Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:59 pm

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 5):

Since I'm fully biased and not really objective - well - I think the timing is very,very coincidal..
WTF do American Helicopters within Syria killing Syrian civil population ..
Bashar is trying to sort things out in his country and tackle some kind of peace-deal with Israel,get rid of hardline-security dinosauruses,open the country to a pro-western ideology- and Doubleyea finds nothing better to do than cross the border with his killer-teams..
What a great effort to help bring peace to the region !!!

comorin

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 2):
Bush himself should be held accountable for each and every civilian death he caused during this "war," which violated international law.

You're obviously not a 'Real American'  Wink

I'm curious about civilian deaths in this 'war' - around 300,000 so far?

Alessandro

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:25 pm

I thought they let go of the Al-Anbar area already?
Syria is a messed up country itself which has had troops in Lebanon for a long time so I see nothing coming out of this.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

MD11Engineer

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:50 pm

Actually I don't think that there was some sinister conspiracy at work. I rather assume that the helicopter pilots f*cked up their navigation and accidentally mistook an Iraqi village close to the border, from which attacks on US troops have been carried out with the Syrian village.
In a similar style a squadron of German bombers messed up their navigation in 1940 and attacked the Northstrand district of Dublin instead of their real target, Belfast, almost driving the Irish to join the Allieds (the last thing Germany wanted). It took Nazi Germany a lot of kowtowing and serious compensation payments to calm down the Irish government.

Jan

Alessandro

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:07 pm

Claims of helicopters being 17km inside Syrian territory, no I don´t think it´s a mistake but a proper raid on Syria to remind them to take controll of their turf, http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...ename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

MD11Engineer

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:13 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 10):
Claims of helicopters being 17km inside Syrian territory, no I don´t think it´s a mistake but a proper raid on Syria to remind them to take controll of their turf, http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...ename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Well, the german pilots over Dublin were just about 200 km off course.

Jan

sv7887

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:22 pm

Nothing short of dragging Osama Bin Laden in handcuffs through the streets of NYC is going to help McCain at this point..

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 3):

Leave it to the U.S. to screw things up.

Right, blame America first. I'd like to hear what our military has to say before I pass judgment on this one. It's rumored the US took a shot at the Al Queda leader in Iraq.

DocLightning

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:31 pm

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 12):

Right, blame America first. I'd like to hear what our military has to say before I pass judgment on this one. It's rumored the US took a shot at the Al Queda leader in Iraq.

And hit Syria? What business does the U.S. have bombing Iraq or Syria?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

sv7887

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:35 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 13):

" Ninety percent of the foreign fighters enter through Syria, according to U.S. intelligence. Foreigners are some of the most deadly fighters in Iraq, trained in bomb-making and with small-arms expertise and more likely to be willing suicide bombers than Iraqis.

Foreign fighters toting cash have been al-Qaida in Iraq's chief source of income. They contributed more than 70 percent of operating budgets in one sector in Iraq, according to documents captured in September 2007 on the Syrian border. Most of the fighters were conveyed through professional smuggling networks, according to the report. "

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D942DS980&show_article=1

The US War in Iraq as flawed as it was, was approved by the US Congress. If you want to blame someone, blame our elected officials. Playing Monday Quarterback isn't a strategy. "shoulda, coulda" buys us nothing now. We made the mess in Iraq back in 1991 and we have to fix it. You might want to remember Bush I was tossed out partly because Clinton said "he didn't finish the job" how short our memories are....

Our troops are still there under a UN mandate that is probably going to be replaced by an agreement between the US and Iraq soon.

Derico

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:35 pm

The big issue here is whether countries have the right to bomb other sovereign states in order to go after renegades, guerillas, terrorists or other targets.

We are seeing this in the Russia-Georgia situation, with the United States in the Middle East, in the Colombian drug conflict, in the Indian subcontinent, and elsewhere, where one country violates another's borders and claims it was self-defense.

I'm not casting judgment on the attacked or the agreessor here. It's probably true that in some cases there was some justification specially if the country that felt violated had a government that shielded the elements being pursued. In other cases I'm sure the attacked party had more than enough reason to be outraged.

But in the end, it's a sign that the mechanism deviced to prevent situations such as these, the United Nations, is not working anylonger. I still do not understand why my own country is a member, since it serves no purpose to us. Neither are we influential enough in it, nor do we require their services on any large scale. Save the money on dues and leave it. The big powers don't respect the organization anyhow, why should we.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

11Bravo

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:41 pm

I would encourage some patience before we all arrive at a conclusion. So far the "facts" are all from the Syrian government. It may turn out to be true that US forces have killed "civilians" inside Syria, then again it might not be that simple.
WhaleJets Rule!

comorin

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:33 am

I really dislike the RU system but regrettably I'll have to add you to my list.

HowSwedeitis

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:46 am

Look up secret Laos operations in the Vietnam war. Looks like 'Ole "Air America" has started operations again.

-HSII
Heja Sverige!!

PPVRA

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 am

I'd like to hear what our military has to say before I pass judgment on this one.

Military obeys orders, they don't make policy.

Could have been a mistake, but we'll see.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

comorin

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:07 am

Quoting HowSwedeitis (Reply 18):
Look up secret Laos operations in the Vietnam war. Looks like 'Ole "Air America" has started operations again.

I knew one of the Ravens Forward Air Controllers, as they were called. There was an excellent show on them on the History Channel.

The Administration can do what it wants between now and Jan 20. It'll be for the next president to face the consequences and clean up the mess.

DocLightning

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:24 am

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 15):
" Ninety percent of the foreign fighters enter through Syria, according to U.S. intelligence. Foreigners are some of the most deadly fighters in Iraq, trained in bomb-making and with small-arms expertise and more likely to be willing suicide bombers than Iraqis.

Again, what right does the U.S. have to bomb Syria OR Iraq? Now or in 2003?

It needs to stop. And thank goodness it appears that it's going to stop.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

11Bravo

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:52 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 21):
Again, what right does the U.S. have to bomb Syria OR Iraq? Now or in 2003?

It wasn't a bombing. It was a special ops raid on some sort of compound in Syria.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 21):
It needs to stop. And thank goodness it appears that it's going to stop.

Obama has said he would conduct similar operations IF we had actionable intellegence.

We should have never gone into Iraq, but we need to do what it takes in cases where we have solid intel about a threat to US forces.
WhaleJets Rule!

ual777

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:18 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 7):

You're obviously not a 'Real American' Wink

I'm curious about civilian deaths in this 'war' - around 300,000 so far?

Its under 100,000 and see below for the real kicker.

The "investigation" isn't going to return these people to their families.

Well according to Iraqbodycount.org theres 90,000 civilian deaths; of which over 90% are caused by terrorists. Do you hold them accountable as well?
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

HowSwedeitis

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:41 am

Quoting Ual777 (Reply 23):
of which over 90% are caused by terrorists.

Which happened because of the US invasion. We can go around and around.

-HSII
Heja Sverige!!

Flighty

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:17 am

I agree, here in America we have a penalty for killing people illegally. We have rules like felony murder, conspiracy to commit homicide etc. This is hard for Bush administration officials to understand because they keep doing it. But it is illegal and we do have jails for people who do it.

I maintain the Iraq War was a race based crime. We are only over there because of their skin color and their religion. I think that was the predominant reason, even more than oil.

PSA727

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:54 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 25):
I maintain the Iraq War was a race based crime. We are only over there because of their skin color and their religion. I think that was the predominant reason, even more than oil.

Do you really hear what you're saying? Then why aren't we in Sudan? Same race, same skin
color, same religion.

It's about American strategic interests, and oil is a very big one of those. Because of our
nation's need to import so much foreign oil, stability in that region of the world is in our best
interests. You can debate the merits all you want, but we're not in Iraq because of their
religion and skin color. The U.S. seems to get along fine with Turkey, Kuwait, U.A.E.,
Egypt,etc.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

HowSwedeitis

Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:30 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 25):

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 26):
Do you really hear what you're saying? Then why aren't we in Sudan? Same race, same skin
color, same religion.

I agree with PSA727. Colin Powell was all about the Iraq war, and he's not racist, nor an "Islam-o-phobe." It is all about strategic interests. There is nothing in Sudan-Darfur that the US sees worthy of putting boots on the ground. (Human lives and genocide are not all that important in US interest.)

-HSII
Heja Sverige!!

levent

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:19 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 11):

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 10):
Claims of helicopters being 17km inside Syrian territory, no I don´t think it´s a mistake but a proper raid on Syria to remind them to take controll of their turf

Well, the german pilots over Dublin were just about 200 km off course.

Jan

I think that nowadays the navigation equipment is a little bit more sophisticated though...

HAWK21M

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:25 am

Such errors only increase the hate towards the occupying military & cause hate to emate from the local population.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Flighty

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:57 pm

Quoting HowSwedeitis (Reply 27):
Colin Powell was all about the Iraq war,

Really. Did he quit his job and endorse Obama because he was so proud of the Iraq War?

And by the way I am not trying to bring this thread off topic. But one presidential candidate was always against Iraq from day 1. And they both oppose torture. I am glad for that.

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 26):
You can debate the merits all you want, but we're not in Iraq because of their
religion and skin color. The U.S. seems to get along fine with Turkey, Kuwait, U.A.E.,
Egypt,etc.

We already got our rocks off in Iraq. This wasn't a coherent desire, it was a base and animal desire to get retribution against someone -- anyone. You know as well as I do that Muslim became a code word for terrorist and still functions that way in many circles.

You may 100% right that Bush's people wanted to own Iraq for strategic reasons. Of course they were wildly delusional about the efficacy of that. But why did the American people approve it, I believe because they wanted to physically dominate and frankly kill a certain society of people of the same general race and religion as the 9/11 attackers. Fight "them" over there so we don't fight "them" at home.

AGC525

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:29 pm

If places like Syria and Pakistan are going to hide and protect terrorists, and continue to allow them to cross borders an attack US troops, then they will be dealt with as this is just the case.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:50 pm

Quoting Flexo (Reply 1):
I didn't know they were operating in Syria.

-
I looked the matter up in CNN. At present there is just the Syrian statement about that farm some 8 kilometers inside Syria where a family got killed by the US-Americans. But no clear explanation from the US side up to now, which looks strange. I find it difficult to believe that the high command was not informed/involved in an operation of four helicopters. It at the other hand is clear that the Syrian/Iraqi border just as most such borders is neither marked nor really controlled. There in case of such desert borders are usually border posts at paved or unpaved roads, and that's it.

ual777

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Quoting HowSwedeitis (Reply 24):

Which happened because of the US invasion. We can go around and around.

No, it happened because they are extremist wackos. There is no going around and around. When are people going to hold these scum accountable. They make decisions just like everyone else.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:31 pm

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 33):
it happened because they are extremist wackos.

-
Those "wackos" could thrive after the invasion due to the USA closing down army and police in Iraq without replacing them by a strong enough police-force. In WWII, any US/UK advance was accompanied by heavy numbers of Military Police. And the USA, instead of helping an interim-president into office, for a while administered that country themselves, thereby giving the "wackos" an excuse for their actions.
-
True, parts of this is like the question whether the chicken or the egg were first .
-
-

Beaucaire
Topic Author

Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:18 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7693053.stm

not a good way to improve Syrian-American relations and change the hatred of the locals against Americans..
Does not look like the family killed war really involved into anything that comes even close to justify such an incursion.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:53 pm

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 37):
also voiced its objection, expressing "great concern" and noting that such unilateral actions could only increase regional tensions.
-
Glass houses, anyone?

-
Well, the Russian leadership enjoys the present opportunity !

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 37):
Further, it remains to be seen if these were really civilians. They may have been in the sense that they did not wear a uniform at the time of their death, but that does not make them innocent.

-
Disturbing is the way in which "official USA" reacts. Had there been a clear declaration from that side immediately, it would have had some credibility. But to come up with a "justification" later on, making some accusation, will lack credibility.

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 38):
but could they at least have the decency of telling the people whose land we invaded and occupied what we intend to do? If the Iraqis are capable of governing themselves then let's treat them as a sovereign nation

-
"Hot pursuit" cross-border actions always are a political problem. And simply to accuse the killed villagers of having been terrorists is not really the way to go.

flexo

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:01 pm

What's wrong with the US military's PR department?

If you do an operation like that you got to have an answer ready. Otherwise something like this happens, the obviously biased Syrian press realeases a statement blaming the US for everything and all they have as an answer is "We will investigate".

A week later they will come up with some kind of an explanation (if ever) but nobody will care anymore because it has long since left the news headlines.

What's left is a bad sentiment with the people who believed the only available news source.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:10 pm

Quoting Flexo (Reply 37):
the obviously biased Syrian press realeases a statement

-
They in Damascus apparently have learnt from previous failures and this time were amazingly speedy with their statements.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:24 pm

The BBC has an eyewitness report on its WEBsite :
-
Sam is a BBC user who lives in Abu Kamal, the Syrian border town where the attack happened on Sunday. He describes the local anger at the attack directed at America - and at Syrian authorities.

I live less than two miles (three kilometres) away from where it took place. I was asleep at the time, but went to the hospital less than two hours afterwards. Nearly everyone who had heard about it was there. What appear to be bloodstains inside the compound (still taken from Syrian TV) Syrian TV showed what appear to be bloodstains at the site of the attack

The attack was in the village of Sukariya, which is inhabited almost entirely by the Mashahda tribe. They are very relaxed, laid back people, not very religious - there's no Mujahideen from this tribe. The guard and the woman who died were very simple people.

They lived in a tent and were being paid to guard building materials such as cement and timber, 24 hours a day. These people will have had nothing to do with the insurgency in Iraq.

There is security everywhere in this country. The government is very severe with the locals; if they have a tip-off that someone has a stolen gun, the place will be surrounded in two minutes. But yesterday there was zero response. The attack happened close to a bridge over the Euphrates and there are military posts either side of the bridge - so very near. But the army is indecisive when it comes to action. The people who were killed were harmless, they should have been protected.

-

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:35 pm

www.english.aljazeera.net gave more details :
-

Syrian state television said four US military helicopters had been involved in Sunday's raid on the village.

"Four American helicopters violated Syrian airspace around 4:45pm local time [13:45 GMT] on Sunday," state television reported. Two of the helicopters landed and dropped off eight US soldiers, who then entered a house, Syrian media reported.

"American soldiers ... attacked a civilian building under construction and fired at workmen inside, causing eight deaths," state television said. The government said that those killed were workers.
-
..................................................................................................

MD11Engineer

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:39 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 34):
Quoting UAL777 (Reply 33):
it happened because they are extremist wackos.

-
Those "wackos" could thrive after the invasion due to the USA closing down army and police in Iraq without replacing them by a strong enough police-force. In WWII, any US/UK advance was accompanied by heavy numbers of Military Police. And the USA, instead of helping an interim-president into office, for a while administered that country themselves, thereby giving the "wackos" an excuse for their actions.
-
True, parts of this is like the question whether the chicken or the egg were first .
-

In Indonesia at the end of WW2, the British (who disn't have enough manpower) actually used Japanese units (up to company level), which had surrendered to them to help to keep order, when radicals started acting in a similar way as now in Iraq. These Japanese units were not previously involved in war crimes and the young officers and soldiers wanted to prove themselves to the British to be law abiding.

Quote:

My father managed to reach our camp thanks to the Red Cross.

However after a couple of weeks the Muslim Militia was infiltrating the area. They were forcing the Indonesian population to stop helping us. In those days these Militia were called extremists or permoeda’s, nationalists, T.K.R. Indo’s etc.

They all had their own agenda and sometimes were fighting each other. It became very dangerous to leave the camp. Many people who did were kidnapped and murdered. The Japanese were ordered to protect us. When the English troops landed a real shooting war started with tanks, planes(Typhoons) heavy guns etc.

The Japanese under the command of Major KIDO fought shoulder to shoulder with the British against the Indonesian uprising. The seven camps in and around Ambarawa were attacked by thousands of Idonesian rebels which prevented any food transport. Because of this we were supplied by Dakota's dropping food containers by parachutes.
This is all described in Wing Commander T.S. TULL’S report.

On the 22nd of November 1945 the Indonesian rebels broke through the camp perimeter and herded the camp inmates with their arms above their heads, to the central area where they started shooting and throwing hand grenades into the crowd. A lot of people were killed or wounded but miraculously my family and I survived this attack without a scratch.
When they heard the engine noise of a British tank coming to our aid, they all fled being so afraid of Gurkha soldiers.

After this horrendous attack in Camp 8 (see Tull report — Part four “Total War” page 13) the fighting was so severe that it took two days before the dead could be buried in a mass grave. The British caught one attacker of the atrocity. He was placed in the middle of the field with bound hands and feet, where he was kicked by the camp inmates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/69/a4180169.shtml

(the camp inmates were Europeans, who were previously imprisoned by the Japanese after the Japanese invaded Indonesia. At the end of the war, the Japanese guards, who in at times had treated the European prisoners quite badly, became, together with the British soldiers, their protectors against gangs of Indonesian radicals (both Muslim fanatics and communist anti-colonial figthers)).

Similarly, at the end of WW2 in Europe, Wehrmacht military police was used by the Allieds to keep order in the occupied territories (This can be very well seen in the last episode of "Band of Brothers").

Jan

dc863

Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:49 pm

Well Syria dragged it's feet closing down areas of the border where terrorists were going through. So we took matter into our own hands.

If any of you liberal complainers don't like it..........get used to it because Obama says he'll go into Pakistan's tribal border areas with or without Pakistan's consent owing to the gov't dragging it's feet.
Why? For the same reason the Syrian border village got hit. Blame the Syrian gov't.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:02 pm

Quoting Dc863 (Reply 42):
Well Syria dragged it's feet closing down areas of the border where terrorists were going through. So we took matter into our own hands.

-
This border cannot be brought under control so easily by either side. That the USA apparently did a "hot pursuit" stunt of some kind is one thing, that the P.R. of the USA is failing so badly the other. And that the Iraqi government had to hear about it from the Syrian side simply is bad

StarAC17

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:07 pm

Better known as the October surprise conspiracy and if the race turns around in the next week then this can possible be seen as it. Mainly because the only thing McCain beats Obama on is National Security.

I agree with PSA727. Colin Powell was all about the Iraq war, and he's not racist, nor an "Islam-o-phobe." It is all about strategic interests. There is nothing in Sudan-Darfur that the US sees worthy of putting boots on the ground. (Human lives and genocide are not all that important in US interest.)

From how the war has been run up untill 2007, the fact the General Powell resigned when Bush got re-elected, and the fact that he is supporting Obama there is plenty of evidence to suggest that he had a gun to his head when making the case to the UN.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

sv7887

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:13 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 44):

From how the war has been run up untill 2007, the fact the General Powell resigned when Bush got re-elected, and the fact that he is supporting Obama there is plenty of evidence to suggest that he had a gun to his head when making the case to the UN.

He had the option to resign. Given his experience in the first Gulf War if there was someone who should have known better it was Colin Powell. How could a former Joint Chiefs Chairman be so unaware not to see through the flimsy data?

greggarious

Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:10 pm

Quoting Ual777 (Reply 23):
Its under 100,000 and see below for the real kicker.

Oh, I suppose that is more reasonable.  Yeah sure

So reports are saying that several of the killed were children. How is it that "actionable intelligence" fails to pick up on the presence of innocents so often??? If children died at the hands of US special forces, then this raid has done nothing positive whatsoever to advance American interests...

PSA727

Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:40 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 30):
You may 100% right that Bush's people wanted to own Iraq for strategic reasons. Of course they were wildly delusional about the efficacy of that. But why did the American people approve it, I believe because they wanted to physically dominate and frankly kill a certain society of people of the same general race and religion as the 9/11 attackers. Fight "them" over there so we don't fight "them" at home.

In case you forgot, the U.S. and NATO forces invaded Afghanistan in the Fall or 2001, and
were basically "killing a certain society of people of the same general race and religion of
the 9/11 attackers." The U.S. inavded Iraq a year and a half later, so I guess they just
wanted to "double-up" their flight?
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

baroque

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:15 pm

Quoting Flexo (Reply 37):
If you do an operation like that you got to have an answer ready. Otherwise something like this happens, the obviously biased Syrian press realeases a statement blaming the US for everything and all they have as an answer is "We will investigate".

We all need to write to the Pentagon and explain to them that horrible as it may seem the Syrians have got hold of a new weapon - the mobile phone with a camera. Just awful, who knows where this will lead! Like evidence.

Quoting Sv7887 (Reply 45):
He had the option to resign. Given his experience in the first Gulf War if there was someone who should have known better it was Colin Powell. How could a former Joint Chiefs Chairman be so unaware not to see through the flimsy data?

Indeed Sv, how? Hope you will supply an answer soon as I am well past purple holding my breath for an answer. The only simple over-arching answer is that it is a bad case of "Jack D Ripper's syndrome" because the commies did indeed put something in the water in Washington - "Do you realize that .... They are sapping and impurifying all of our precious bodily fluids!"

Other explanations welcome, but that seems the best so far. Serious reservations for most other attempts!  Big grin  Wink

Beaucaire
Topic Author

Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:53 pm

"...Two dozen American commandos flew to Sukkariyah in four Black Hawk helicopters and disembarked, fighting a brief gun battle with Abu Ghadiyah and members of his cell. Officials said it was unclear whether Abu Ghadiyah had died on the battlefield or after being taken into American custody. A Syrian villager who witnessed the incident said he had seen two men taken away in the helicopters when the commandos flew off. Despite Syrian outrage and the threat of retaliation by Syrian troops, officials did not rule out mounting such a raid again...."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...us_and_americas/article5030766.ece

If the US intelligence circles are so sure about the presence of a terrorist,why do they have to kill 8 people including children to get him out?
There are more efficient ways to neutralize a person without that many collateral damages.
I furthermore doubt that Syrian officials would have refused to arrest the man if convincing evidence would have been provided to the Syrian "mukhabarat". They do actually cooperate with a number of western intelligence agencies since quite some time,including the German BND.
There is no question to deny the right to security forces to apprehend terrorist convicted persons. But if the circomstances of the arrest cause more counter-productiv collaterals (soured international relations,killing of a small revival of US-Syrian communications,selling the "West" as a model to Damascus rather than Iran..),this action is more than counter-productive.
It will strenghthen the anti-US and anti-Iraq fraction in the country and create new supporters of illicit trafficking..