RNOcommctr
Topic Author

Dell Monitor Problem: Smudging

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:09 am

OK, you computer experts out there... here's my problem... hope you can help.

Several months ago, I bought a Dell 1707FP LCD flat panel monitor. It has just started to show some severe "smudging" for lack of a better term. If you imagined a certain phrase on a web site were printed in damp ink, and you took a pencil eraser and drew it from left to right, you would see a grayish smudge to the right of the words.

Any ideas what this might be? I've struggled a bit with the adjustments... auto adjust, resolution, factory settings, etc., but no luck.

I am afraid it is not a settings or adjustment problem, but rather some basic defect.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

Klaus

RE: Dell Monitor Problem: Smudging

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:39 am

With an analog connection (VGA), this could be a cable problem or a problem in the graphics adapter. Try a different cable and/or a different computer if you can. This might give you a hint.

I would generally recommend a digital connection whenever possible, though (DVI).

The kind of problem you have described would be unlikely with a digital connection, but a display-internal defect could potentially still exhibit similar symptoms. But I'd try a different cable and a different computer first before making that conclusion.

RNOcommctr
Topic Author

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:03 pm

Thanks, Klaus. I tightened up the cable connection on the back of the monitor and that seems to have almost completely cured the problem. Just a small bit of smudging remains, so I think I'll try your suggestion of using a different cable.

Thanks again for the help.
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

Klaus

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:18 pm

You're welcome. Glad to hear the problem has improved.

If your display and your computer both support a digital connection, you'll get a much better picture with that.

AverageUser

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:25 pm

As Klaus said with the Digital (DVI) input any "ghosting" will be history. Your monitor data indicates that it does have a DVI input, so you'll likely only need a new connecting cable as most recent computers have a digital output as well.

smcmac32msn

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Heres your first problem........ its a Dell.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

casinterest

Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:02 pm

Dell's are some of the best products I have ever used.

What a lot of people don't recognize is that certain PC's are defaultly set up to an old Monitor... say a 17 inch with 65 Hz refresh rate.

What you need to do is right click on your desktop. Select Properties, then select settings. and make sure the resolution is proper for what you want to dispaly.

Then click on Advanced and go to Monitor and then try changing the refresh rate. to the higher values.
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.