MAH4546
Topic Author

No Murders In Miami During All Of October

Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:46 am

Not bad for a city that was easily the Murder Capital of the United States in the 1980s and early 1990s, but whose violent crime rate today is below both Tampa and Orlando.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/752057.html

There were zero murders in the City of Miami in October 2008, and the streak is currently at 35 days and running.
a.

af773atmsp

RE: No Murders In Miami During All Of October

Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:54 am

Good for Miami. I wish Minneapolis was like that. I've started to really want to visit Miami.
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

September11

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:13 am

Miami should be a safe place for everyone. Miami is one of America's most beautiful places.
Airliners.net of the Future

usflyer msp

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:27 am

I love how that article implies that the decrease in crime is due to improved medical care for victims instead of lower crime rates.

EMBQA

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:29 am

So what are the boys on "The First 48" gonna do.......
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

flyf15

Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:02 am

No murders? Yeah right, my guess is they just haven't found the bodies yet.

canuckpaxguy

Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:08 am

Congratulations Miami!
I think we owe a great deal of thanks to Dexter Morgan and Horatio Cane!

G

fbgdavidson

Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:41 am

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Dougloid

Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:00 am

Quoting Flyf15 (Reply 5):

Don't everyone go getting all double jointed patting themselves on the back just yet.

Production will be increased to make up the deficit until the title is regained.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

ConcordeBoy

Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:06 am

Probably be better described as no "reported' murders...

That said:

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 8):
Production will be increased to make up the deficit until the title is regained.

Not a chance, unfortunately, seems my city will have a lock on that one for a longggggg time to come  Sad
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Aaron747

Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:35 am

Boy things look different when you've been abroad awhile - I live in a city of 425,000 (Gifu, Japan) - about the same size as Oakland, St. Louis, Cleveland, et al, and there hasn't been a confirmed murder here since early 2006.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Dougloid

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:53 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 10):
Boy things look different when you've been abroad awhile - I live in a city of 425,000 (Gifu, Japan) - about the same size as Oakland, St. Louis, Cleveland, et al, and there hasn't been a confirmed murder here since early 2006.

We're told in basic sociology classes that the more cultural cleavages you have (no, no, Sparky, not THOSE kinds of cleavages)the more violence you will have.

MaverickM11

Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:19 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 11):
We're told in basic sociology classes that the more cultural cleavages

What do you mean by more cultural cleavage? The number of divides, or the deepness, or the frequency, or all of the above, or something different?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Dougloid

Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:24 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 12):
What do you mean by more cultural cleavage? The number of divides, or the deepness, or the frequency, or all of the above, or something different?

All of the above. It's the down side of cultural diversity. Culturally homogeneous societies are *generally* less violent, at least in the developed world.

Of course, in the less developed parts of the globe cultural homogeneity may be synonymous with institutionalized violence, as in the case of the Yanomamoe, who were the subjects of Napoleon Chagnon's work "the Fierce People".

victrola

Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:27 pm

Quoting Flyf15 (Reply 5):

Probably explains the well fed gators in the Everglades these days.

808TWA

Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:39 pm

I'm assuming that the criminals were vacationing in Toronto during October?
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

MaverickM11

Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:49 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 13):
Culturally homogeneous societies are *generally* less violent, at least in the developed world.

...and to think of all those diversity seminars I had to sit through telling me how wonderful diversity was Wink
E pur si muove -Galileo

Charles79

Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:05 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 10):

Hey Aaron, would you care guess as to why is that? I mean, is there something that they are doing at the government/social/individual level that perhaps we could adopt? It always amazes me at how murder rates can vary so greatly between similarly sized cities, even within the same country (as in the US).

Regardless, congratulations to Miami for that achievement. I grew up in a city with its share of crime and it's not fun at all.

johns624

Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:23 pm

They must be dumping the bodies in the 'burbs...

Delta767300ER

Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Thats a shocker. I will see if I can dig up the total crime percentage for this year.

I dont like a lot of things about Miami but it is still a great city. You just have to be smart and avoid the rough areas.

-Delta767300ER

Aaron747

Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:35 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 17):
Hey Aaron, would you care guess as to why is that? I mean, is there something that they are doing at the government/social/individual level that perhaps we could adopt? It always amazes me at how murder rates can vary so greatly between similarly sized cities, even within the same country (as in the US).

It's simply cultural, I think. We value individuality above all else - the Japanese value the group. Our culture is not shame-based, Japanese culture is. All rules in Japanese society involve avoiding shame. If you do something criminal, you not only shame yourself, but anybody associated with you. It's like bringing a black cloud over your family, friends, workplace, schools you went to, everything. People would rather kill themselves if they have troubles than act violently against others. Not saying it never happens, as violent crime is on the rise here, but these factors certain have a huge impact on individual decisionmaking.

Not to mention you essentially get life prison sentences for drug possession and trafficking here - and not many people like the idea of Japanese prison, unless daily beatings from guards are attractive to you.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

miamix707

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:49 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 7):

lol

In 1997 county mayor Alex Penelas put much more police on the streets and also many people in bad areas have been forced to leave in recent years because property taxes and cost of living has gotten way too expensive. Some real state around bad areas in NW and by Biscayne been bought and re-developed with expensive high rise condos, shopping centers, and the Art Deco district. I used to frequently be out around Miami at night and never felt unsafe. Murders only happen in the ghetto areas.

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
Not bad for a city that was easily the Murder Capital of the United States in the 1980s and early 1990s, but whose violent crime rate today is below both Tampa and Orlando.

Central Florida, especially the Orlando area attracts more people from up north than South Florida does because it's cheaper, there's more jobs, a larger resident community from NY, Michigan, etc and also from Puerto Rico. English is still the official language too  Wink. People in trouble with the law come down trying to get away from all these places.

While the murder rate in Miami has decreased dramatically, I'd say property theft is probably still higher than anywhere else in Florida.

fraspotter

Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:38 am

There were zero murders in the City of Miami in October 2008

...that they know about...  Wink
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

fraspotter

Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:40 am

It looks like Horatio Cane and the rest of his team have had a lot of time on their hands this past month...  Wink
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:17 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 21):
a larger resident community from NY

Keep on telling that yourself, because it's simply not true. South Florida hosts more New Yorkers than any other region in the U.S., and that's a simple fact. The nickname isn't the "sixth borough" for nothing. Now, if you maybe want to exclude immigrant New Yorkers who later move to Miami (i.e. a Russian who moves to New York and then Miami), the numbers probably get closer.

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 21):

While the murder rate in Miami has decreased dramatically, I'd say property theft is probably still higher than anywhere else in Florida.

Orlando wins, at least in 2006, the latest full numbers available.

Orlando's burglary rate, larceny rate and vehicle theft rate are 49.6%, 86.5%, and 18% higher, respectively, than Miami's.

Of course, both cities are far above the national average in every category except forcible rate, where Miami is below the national average but Orlando is nearly triple above it.

http://orlando.areaconnect.com/crime...tm?c1=Orlando&s1=FL&c2=Miami&s2=FL
a.

Dougloid

Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:53 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 16):
...and to think of all those diversity seminars I had to sit through telling me how wonderful diversity was 

Stick with me kid. I'll never steer you wrong.

Wink

miamix707

Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:48 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):

Keep on telling that yourself, because it's simply not true. South Florida hosts more New Yorkers than any other region in the U.S., and that's a simple fact

ok, who cares?

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):
Orlando's burglary rate, larceny rate and vehicle theft rate are 49.6%, 86.5%, and 18% higher, respectively, than Miami's.

lol a website with a pull down menu told you that.. What's clear here is that it doesn't sound like you've even lived in Miami,. where most houses have iron bars around the windows and where there's an "industry" of exporting stolen vehicles to Latin America.

2006? Funny I remember precisely that year one day my cousin and his wife had just bought stuff for their baby and left it in the car inside some kind of suitcase or bag (nothing too appealing) in front of a relative's house we were visiting. After about 30 minutes of talking and having coffee we came out and the stuff was gone. This in plain daylight, with the car parked right outside the front door and windows. Only in Miami...

SHUPirate1

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:21 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 26):
2006? Funny I remember precisely that year one day my cousin and his wife had just bought stuff for their baby and left it in the car inside some kind of suitcase or bag (nothing too appealing) in front of a relative's house we were visiting. After about 30 minutes of talking and having coffee we came out and the stuff was gone. This in plain daylight, with the car parked right outside the front door and windows. Only in Miami...

Hey...I had my car broken into at work two weeks ago, a block from my house, and I live in, and work at, an affluent area with virtually nobody under 55 (aside from me) living in the area.
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:44 am

lol a website with a pull down menu told you that.. What's clear here is that it doesn't sound like you've even lived in Miami,. where most houses have iron bars around the windows and where there's an "industry" of exporting stolen vehicles to Latin America.

That's fine. If you want to ignore FBI statistics, which is where that website gets the data from as it clearly says under the chart, be my guest. And 2006 statistics are the latest full-year available, although 2007 statistics will be released from the FBI any day now.

Leave it to you to try to discredit facts that don't make Orlando out to be perfect. No surprise there. Your anecdotal evidence is obviously much more reliable.

The fact remains that, according to the FBI, Orlando has a higher crime rate than Miami, both violent and non-violent. In fact, it's the highest in Florida and one of the ten highest in the United States.

Meanwhile, doesn't Orlando have a record murder problem to worry about?

http://www.540wfla.com/cc-common/mai...3.html?feed=227698&article=4489033

Funny I remember precisely that year one day my cousin and his wife had just bought stuff for their baby and left it in the car inside some kind of suitcase or bag (nothing too appealing) in front of a relative's house we were visiting. After about 30 minutes of talking and having coffee we came out and the stuff was gone. This in plain daylight, with the car parked right outside the front door and windows. Only in Miami...

Leaving a suitcase in broad daylight in a car in any large or medium sized city is idiotic. It would happen in Orlando, Tampa, Los Angeles, Phoenix...you name it, and there is a risk it will be stolen. Although, according to the FBI, the risk is highest in Orlando.

[Edited 2008-11-04 02:48:09]
a.

miamix707

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:33 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 28):
Leave it to you to try to discredit facts that don't make Orlando out to be perfect

what??

No surprise there. Your anecdotal evidence is obviously much more reliable.

As supposed to someone who's never lived there, and apparently hasn't lived in Miami either, yes, most definitely.

Leaving a suitcase in broad daylight in a car in any large or medium sized city is idiotic. It would happen in Orlando, Tampa, Los Angeles, Phoenix...you name it, and there is a risk it will be stolen. Although, according to the FBI, the risk is highest in Orlando.

You still don't expect it to be taken while it's on your driveway in broad daylight in full view of neighbors and even from inside the house. And it's not like it was an expensive looking item either. We all know you irrationally hate Orlando and any other cities which have any advantages over South Florida, especially since you like to tell everyone it's the garden of Eden.

Dougloid

Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:21 pm

This in plain daylight, with the car parked right outside the front door and windows. Only in Miami...

I dunno. One fine day a couple years ago I had the garage door open and was changing a tire on one of my road bikes. The other one was moved out by my truck.

In the process of reinstallation I doscovered I had to go into the house and get some talcum powder for the tube. That took all of thirty seconds and yet my Nishiki road bike disappeared, only to reappear at a police auction a year later.

Right here in law abiding Des Moines.

grumpy   grumpy   grumpy 

victrola

Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:36 pm

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 29):
As supposed to someone who's never lived there, and apparently hasn't lived in Miami either, yes, most definitely.

Whether he has ever lived in Miami is irrelevant. You seem to think that you anecdotal story about your cousin trumps crime statistics compiled by government organizations. I believe your story. However it does nothing to disprove FBI crime statistics.

NASCARAirforce

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:22 pm

I don't think Miami came close to Detroit ever in the 80s and 90s. I know it was bad but not that bad.

I think Orlando is the murder capital of Florida now - my local news reminds me almost of the Detroit Local news when I listen to it.

Dougloid

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:28 pm

Allright, all you folks in Miam-uh, don't go getting all wet and creamy over your newfound law abidingness.

Things are getting under way.

http://www.miamiherald.com/1374/story/755709.html

miamix707

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:00 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 30):
I dunno. One fine day a couple years ago I had the garage door open and was changing a tire on one of my road bikes. The other one was moved out by my truck.

Years ago i used to leave my "Huffy" Big grin outside the garage in Orlando like nothing, until one day it disappeared. It didn't take long to find out the next door weedheads had taken it and stripped all the logos and everything and were riding it to sell weed. I had to return the favor and take a nicer chromed trick bike they had...  devil 

It took months for that to happen though, in Miami it woudln't have lasted 2 nights.

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 32):
Allright, all you folks in Miam-uh, don't go getting all wet and creamy over your newfound law abidingness.

lol and there it is. Nothing to laugh at, but I kind of did reading comments such as: This is 4 blocks away from Parc Lofts, a project that realtors are very aggressively pushing to sell. Goes to show you can NEVER TRUST A REALTOR.

Quoting Victrola (Reply 31):
Whether he has ever lived in Miami is irrelevant. You seem to think that you anecdotal story about your cousin trumps crime statistics compiled by government organizations. I believe your story. However it does nothing to disprove FBI crime statistics.

I frankly can wipe with numbers, as he's proved time and time again, his assumptions about S.Florida, Orlando, etc are off the charts in bias. You're welcome to lap it up though, if know-it-all a.net hype is your thing. I've lived in different areas in both cities and have dozens of personal and acquaintance "anecdotes" to back up what I'm saying ,but again believe the hype, it's "sexy"

MAH4546
Topic Author

Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:42 am

Leave it to you to try to discredit facts that don't make Orlando out to be perfect

what??

Why the question marks? The fact remains that Orlando has the worst crime rate in Florida - both violent and non-violent. That's a fact. There is no pro-Miami bias nor anti-Orlando bias in that statement.

The only bias is yours, in trying to discredit FBI facts because it spells a truth about Orlando that you don't want to face.

Quoting Victrola (Reply 31):

You won't have any luck convincing him that facts are relevant. His bias for Orlando stands over all facts.

You still don't expect it to be taken while it's on your driveway in broad daylight in full view of neighbors and even from inside the house.

That's you. I guess I have more street smarts than you do.

I would never leave something in broad daylight in my car, even in my driveway. There is a chance it will get stolen, and it doesn't matter if you are in Orlando, Miami, or wherever. It's stupidity. Your cousin simply wasn't lucky. However, according to FBI facts, the chance is greater in Orlando than in Miami. Simple as that.
a.

miamix707

Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:55 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 35):
It's stupidity

Everything you don't like to hear is stupidity. You know what I think is kind of stupid? When someone keeps posting without knowing what they're talking about

I would never leave something in broad daylight in my car, even in my driveway.

rojo

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:33 am

You still don't expect it to be taken while it's on your driveway in broad daylight in full view of neighbors and even from inside the house. And it's not like it was an expensive looking item either. We all know you irrationally hate Orlando and any other cities which have any advantages over South Florida, especially since you like to tell everyone it's the garden of Eden.

I would never leave something in broad daylight in my car, even in my driveway. There is a chance it will get stolen, and it doesn't matter if you are in Orlando, Miami, or wherever. It's stupidity. Your cousin simply wasn't lucky. However, according to FBI facts, the chance is greater in Orlando than in Miami. Simple as that.

Como on guys, this is not a competition... we all know that Central and South Florida are not the safest places in the world, but we just need to be careful. When I bought my car, the dealer wanted to install an extra security system in my car claiming that Miami has one of the highest rates of stolen vehicles in this country. I told him I didn't want it. If someone wants to to steal my vehicle, that someone will steal it no matter how many security or alarm systems I have. I am just cautious and try to park it in secure places. If it gets stolen, I would have to get another vehicle and that is why I pay for insurance...

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 33):

http://www.miamiherald.com/1374/stor....html

Too good to last!!!