LHMark

How Can US Tourists Make The Best Impression?

Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi A.net.

I'm writing a tourism-related article and I'm gonna use you guys as my personal research guinea pigs.

The piece is about what steps American tourists can take to be perceived as more welcome guests in other countries, as well as the mindset Americans should have when they travel. I'd like to get A.netter's opinions, especially if anyone has personal stories, positive or negative, about interaction with tourists from the USA.

Thanks.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

ShyFlyer

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:22 pm

When I went to the UK last month, I made sure to say please and thank you at every opportunity and to smile. I try to do that at home too, but sometimes I forget a thank you here and there.
I lift things up and put them down.

NoUFO

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:25 pm

As far as Germany is concerned, it is *not* embarrassing to ask for directions to say a Shoa/Holocaust memorial or a former concentration camp. It *is* embarrassing to first beat behind the bush for about two minutes:
"Uh-huh it may be a bit difficult ... we know Germany is now a democracy, and a peaceful one on top of that ... the past is over .... 60 years ... yes, yes ... but erm ... we really would like to see ..."
Ask a straight question - und gut ist.

Of course this does not only go for Americans but also for Austrians.  

[Edited 2008-11-03 12:26:50]
I support the right to arm bears

BlueElephant

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:30 pm

I've traveled a good bit, all over Asia, India, and Europe, and to Ecuador in South America.

Some advice that I'll bring to the table.

A.) Kinda goes without saying...do some research about the country you intend to visit...The worst thing a person can do is go to say Italy and not have any idea how the culture is, what they should be spending on stuff and what they want to see, and how to get around etc.

B.) Learn a few key phrases in another language...Assuming that The whole world should speak english is the worst way to travel....Don't be the Chicken with your head cut off running around yelling "Does anyone Speak English?!!??!"...If you don't speak the local language, don't make it so obvious. Learning a few key phrases will help a lot...Consider learning to say Excuse me, Where is?, Do you Speak English, Hello, Thank you etc....being considerate is always helpful especially when you need help.

C.) If you are traveling to less fortunate countries...It is not cool to make fun/ yell "ewww" at people. If you see much less fortunate people, take it as a learning experience, and understand just how fortunate you are...Example:

I was staying with an Indiginous family way up the side of a (inactive) volcano...Now most of these people don't really have internet or tv or anything, and so the community has only one pass time, which is Volleyball. Instead of sitting there complaining about how they play volleyball in the dirt and how you're scared of the Puma's in the mountains....Embrace the community and play a round of volleyball.

D.) For the younger people...I suggest staying in a hostel. Sure its not the best accomodations, but you'll meet people from all over the world, with a similar goal as yourself...and that is to see the world. Younger people generally speak more english and sometimes you get some company to chat with and learn more. Hell I hiked the Great Wall of China with an Aussie and a Swedish guy. And partied in Florence, with people from New Zealand, France and Britian.

E.) and this is the last most important Suggestion...Keep an Open Mind...The world is full of different langauges, cultures, foods, and people...Take it for what it is...Then and only then will you really enjoy it.

texan

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 3):
Learn a few key phrases in another language

checkmark 

I lived in Egypt for three months. Before going I bought a couple of "learn Arabic" CDs and phrasebooks. The Egyptians I met were either impressed or happy that I could speak and understand a little Arabic. Making an effort counts.

The worst thing a person can do is go to say Italy and not have any idea how the culture is, what they should be spending on stuff and what they want to see, and how to get around etc.

Another great point. Know what you are doing, where you should be going, and how much you should be paying for a taxi (none of the meters work in Cairo, negotiate all prices beforehand!).

Keep an Open Mind.

Try the food, talk with the people, and follow customs as much as you can. Who knows, you may even like it!

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

yooyoo

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 pm

When speaking, use your "inside voice".
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

metroliner

Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Thread starter):
what steps American tourists can take to be perceived as more welcome guests in other countries

Stay in America?  Wink

Just kidding. Bring us your dough. And so long as there's enough of it, do what you like...
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

Mir

Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:18 pm

Obviously, the more of the local language you know, the better, and you should make the effort to learn as much as you can. But you should at the bare minimum know the following phrases:

"good morning/evening"
"please"
"thank you"
"do you speak English?"

And don't expect that everyone will know English, especially in rural areas. Don't get frustrated about it and think that speaking more loudly in English is going to help. It won't, and it will piss people off.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Superfly

Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:29 pm

We US citizens are generally good tourist. It depends on what countries you visit.
The American tourist in Mexico are much different than the American tourist in the Middle-East, Africa and Asia.
The negative stereotypical American tourist I noticed only visit places like the U.K, France, Germany (Western Europe) as well as resorts in Mexico and islands in the Caribbean.
I found the American tourist in Asia to be far most sophisticated and do make an effort to learn the local language and customs.

Quoting Metroliner (Reply 6):
Bring us your dough. And so long as there's enough of it, do what you like...

checkmark 
Good advice!

***DON'T*** proselytize, change their culture, change their ways or bring your pet 'cause' to their country.
Bring back the Concorde

TransIsland

Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:49 pm

One thing that always amazes (and annoys) me about tourists here, most of whom happen to be American, is that I'll be driving home from work, right through the downtown tourist trap shopping district, and these tourists will ignore pedestrian crossings and traffic lights, just jump out in front of my car, or, even worse, stop in the middle of the road for a photo op. And then be surprised if I (or someone else) honk/s the horn. Honestly, do you expect me to do that in the middle of the road in, let's say, Times Square? In other words: use common sense, don't switch off your brain, just because you're on vacation.

Oh, and white folks... please don't get your hair braided - it looks stupid. Big grin
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

AM744

Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:54 pm

In general I've had good experiences with US tourists visiting Mexico City. Some of them try and actually manage to speak undertandable Spanish and I have gladly given them directions in Spanish or English, whichever they prefer. I was once in a resort and a little 7 or so year old American kid knocked on my room's door thinking it was its parents'. He apologized in a VERY polite way. Therefore I have nothing to say but nice things about American tourists.

Also, if you don't marvel at the fact that there can be a subway in a city other than New York or London or that people don't ride horses or wear sombreros, you should be fine. The whole world is Americanized nowadays to some extent. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Aaron747

Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:55 pm

The piece is about what steps American tourists can take to be perceived as more welcome guests in other countries, as well as the mindset Americans should have when they travel.

Only two things, mostly pet peeves from other Americans who stomp all over Japan:

1) Don't start all sentences with: "Well, in America..." or "In my country, we don't..."

2) Learn more than just hello and thank you in the local language. Learn phrases like how to ask where the bathroom is, cash or charge, can I/can't I, if it's not too much trouble, etc. It's so annoying that many of my fellow Americans demand everything in English.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

bill142

RE: How Can US Tourists Make The Best Impression?

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:20 pm

Learn about your destination before you go. My mum was once on a tour in London and someone from Texas was complaining about how he didn't pack an umbrella because he didn't realise it rained in London  Yeah sure

JCKastrup

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:29 pm

A.) Kinda goes without saying...do some research about the country you intend to visit...The worst thing a person can do is go to say Italy and not have any idea how the culture is, what they should be spending on stuff and what they want to see, and how to get around etc

Exactly. "I thought Denmark was the capital of Ikea" is not a good way to start.

But in any case and in any country. Be open-minded and polite. That will be enough.
Who the hell wants to fly to JFK? Nobody does, That's who!

haggis79

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:46 pm

Some advise from a European travelling frequently to the US:

the first thing coming to my mind was "don't yell". In Europe, the US-American tourist ususally stands out by talking very loudly, regardless if it's on the street, in a train/plane or a restaurant. Just because I am travelling in the same car of the same train as you are doesn't mean I want to hear every word of your conversation with your partner/wife/fellow traveller. Just tune down a bit, will you?

B.) Learn a few key phrases in another language...Assuming that The whole world should speak english is the worst way to travel....Don't be the Chicken with your head cut off running around yelling "Does anyone Speak English?!!??!"...If you don't speak the local language, don't make it so obvious. Learning a few key phrases will help a lot...Consider learning to say Excuse me, Where is?, Do you Speak English, Hello, Thank you etc....being considerate is always helpful especially when you need help.

checkmark  - extremely important point, also emphasized by the fact that it's been mentioned so often in this thread. It's not that important in Germany, where the vast majority of people speaks at least some basic English, but very important for instance in France. My experience with the French (I don't speak much French myself) is that they are far more likely to talk to you in English (or German, for that matter), if you make an effort to express yourself in French first. Even if it's just an "Excusez-moi" or a "Bonjour".

E.) and this is the last most important Suggestion...Keep an Open Mind...The world is full of different langauges, cultures, foods, and people...Take it for what it is...

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 11):
1) Don't start all sentences with: "Well, in America..." or "In my country, we don't..."

These are probably two versions of the same thought.... don't expect to be everything like in the US - the food is different in other countries, so are the cultures. Just as an example, what you might consider to be slow service might be an effort from the waiter to let you take your time eating and enjoy the food. In Germany getting the bill in a restaurant without having specifically asked for it is considered extremely rude (close to being thrown out of the establishment). I could go on and on about things like this - there are so many small differences between countries, people and cultures. If you encounter one, don't automatically assume things are worse, just because they are different. And if you think things are done better in the US: don't lecture people about it.
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

Superfly

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:46 pm

Quoting JCKastrup (Reply 13):
Exactly. "I thought Denmark was the capital of Ikea" is not a good way to start.

But in any case and in any country. Be open-minded and polite. That will be enough.

I did witness a Clark Griswold moment at the Acropolis in Athens a few years ago.
A man was with his wife & three kids and he shout; "You see kids, these buildings have been here forever!"
Bring back the Concorde

BAViscount

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:59 pm

Quoting JCKastrup (Reply 13):

Exactly. Forget the fact that you're not in America any more, get used to the small size of hotel bedrooms and meal portions, and learn some essential phrases in the local language (even if you're in the UK!! Big grin ).

Oh, and one more thing...don't wear clothing that says "I'm an American"...it won't get you preferential treatment! I'm thinking specifically of a couple that I saw in Edinburgh last November who were wearing his 'n' hers matching "USA" sweatshirts! The only reaction they got was lots of rolled eyes and incredulous stares!!  covereyes 
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

kmh1956

Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:05 am

A voice from Bermuda who has witnessed many an American disembarking from the cruise ships:
For the love of all that is holy, men...leave the wife-beater shirts at HOME. They are NOT attractive, and in most restaurants here are nor really considered acceptable dress. (Along with the plaid/Hawaiian print shorts.
Ladies...gold lame ANYTHING is not suitable daytime attire. they put mirrors in your cabins for a reason.....use them.
For both: do not try to dress like a ship's captain. You look ridiculous.

We are not an American possession, nor are we in the Caribbean. Before you leave home, learn where you're going. And yes, the Bermuda dollar is real money.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

TSS

Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:31 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 11):
Don't start all sentences with: "Well, in America..." or "In my country, we don't..."

Good advice for traveling within the US as well. My favorite bumper sticker of all time is one I saw on a car with Florida plates which read "Frankly my dear, we don't give a damn how you do things 'Up North'. ". Big grin

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 12):
My mum was once on a tour in London and someone from Texas was complaining about how he didn't pack an umbrella because he didn't realise it rained in London  

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

fraspotter

Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:36 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 12):
Learn about your destination before you go. My mum was once on a tour in London and someone from Texas was complaining about how he didn't pack an umbrella because he didn't realise it rained in London

Or on the news a year ago when the NY Giants played the Miami Dolphins in London, a certain player on the Giants team marveled ON CAMERA that he was surprised that "so many people around here speak english"!!!!! My opinion? Keep this guy on a chain and keep an eye on him...
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

BAViscount

Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:30 am

Quoting FRAspotter (Reply 19):
Or on the news a year ago when the NY Giants played the Miami Dolphins in London, a certain player on the Giants team marveled ON CAMERA that he was surprised that "so many people around here speak english"!!!!! My opinion? Keep this guy on a chain and keep an eye on him...

Hehe...reminds me of a customer services agent that I was speaking to at CLT back in 1987 when I was waiting for my aunt and uncle to pick me up from the airport. When I said that I had just arrived on the Piedmont flight from LGW, her response was, "Do y'all speak FRENCH there???"!!

Makes me want to suggest that certain (and by no means all) Americans might need a lesson in geography!!  Wink
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

photopilot

Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:31 am

Learn a few key phrases in another language...Assuming that The whole world should speak english is the worst way to travel

checkmark   checkmark 

Quoting Texan (Reply 4):
Making an effort counts.

checkmark   checkmark 

Quoting Superfly (Reply 8):
***DON'T*** proselytize, change their culture, change their ways or bring your pet 'cause' to their country.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

If I hear one more obnoxious American tourist say... "Where can I find McDonalds?"
Learn to enjoy the food and culture of other countries. Sure, it won't taste like home or be the same as back home. But if you really want the same as back home..... STAY HOME !!!!!

BAViscount

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:35 am

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 21):
proselytize

Someone PLEASE help me out and back me up when I say that I've NEVER heard that word before! I feel so dumb!! Big grin

BlueElephant

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:43 am

oh and one more thing....After trying to ask a person if they speak English....

If the answer is no...Then Asking them anyway in English...maaay help....becasue anyone can pick up a word or so of English....

BUT.....Don't talk to them as if they're dumb for not speaking English.

I.E. "WHHHEEEEERRRRRREEEE IIIIIIIISSSSS TTTHHHHHEEEE TOOOOOIIIIILLLLEEEETTTT" Loudly won't help you.

And it'll make you look stupid...as well as make it look like you you think the person you're talking to is stupid.

Superfly

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:48 am

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 22):
Someone PLEASE help me out and back me up when I say that I've NEVER heard that word before! I feel so dumb!!

Don't feel dumb at all. It's not a word normal people use everyday.
Proselytize is to convert someone in to believing a religious faith. That is what missionaries do. You wont see too many missionaries going to the U.K. as your population is mostly well educated and your country is well off.
Missionaries prey on the poor and less educated. Therefore they mostly go to poor countries in Africa, Asia, South Pacific and Latin America.

When I see them in other countries harassing people and getting in to people's face about their religion, I want to just punch them in the face. That would only get me in to trouble though.
Bring back the Concorde

PPVRA

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:54 am

Anywhere south of the border:

Remember that we consider ourselves as Americans too, just South Americans or Central Americans. America is also the name of the whole continent. We can debate this, as we have, all week on A.net but it's not that great an idea to bring it up while down here unless you find a very opened minded person, but still you didn't come to pick a fight/argument so it's best advice to just leave it alone and go with it.  Wink

Never dealt much with American (USA) tourists, though.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Superfly

Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:56 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 25):
Remember that we consider ourselves as Americans too, just South Americans or Central Americans. America is also the name of the whole continent.

checkmark 

I agree but even I have given up and fell to using the term 'American' to describe us citizens of the USA in these boards.
But you are correct.
Bring back the Concorde

PPVRA

Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:03 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):

I agree but even I have given up and fell to using the term 'American' to describe us citizens of the USA in these boards.
But you are correct.

I personally don't mind it, it's your country's name too anyways. At first in the US people would say "welcome to America" to me and that would ring really strange, as if I ever left it. It still kinda does but you get used to it and its not a big deal.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

photopilot

Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:44 am

proselytize
One entry found.

Main Entry: pros·e·ly·tize
Pronunciation: ˈprä-s(ə-)lə-ˌtīz
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): pros·e·ly·tized; pros·e·ly·tiz·ing
Date: 1679
intransitive verb
1 : to induce someone to convert to one's faith
2 : to recruit someone to join one's party, institution, or cause
transitive verb
: to recruit or convert especially to a new faith, institution, or cause
— pros·e·ly·ti·za·tion ˌprä-s(ə-)lə-tə-ˈzā-shən, ˌprä-sə-ˌlī-tə- noun
— pros·e·ly·tiz·er ˈprä-s(ə-)lə-ˌtī-zər noun

Dougloid

Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:14 am

I don't know whether anyone's noted this, but this entire phenomenon is very much a two way street.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Aaron747

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:37 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 29):
I don't know whether anyone's noted this, but this entire phenomenon is very much a two way street.

Case in point - was talking to a Japanese businessman the other day who was telling me about his culture shock while touring his company's factories in Eastern Europe: "I felt strange being around so many foreigners speaking foreign languages that weren't English. A lot of people don't speak English well there so it felt even more foreign."

My response: "Foreigners? You were a Japanese man in Bulgaria and Poland. Who was the foreigner??"
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

fraspotter

Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:07 am

If I hear one more obnoxious American tourist say... "Where can I find McDonalds?"

In my experience, in the 20 years (my entire life) that I've lived in Germany, there is really no need to ask where the nearest McDonalds is. There's pretty much one on almost every other street corner in the bigger cities and every 5-10 miles on the autobahn....  Silly
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

JJJ

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:14 am

There's no need to say you're American on the very first sentence.

Actually, there's no need to say it unless you're being asked.

seb146

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 1):
I made sure to say please and thank you at every opportunity and to smile

Learn a few key phrases in another language

Both excellent suggestions! My only international destination has been YVR, but I have been mistaken for someone from Saskatchewan many times there. I have found I am better able to find great restaurants, interesting things to see and do and make more contacts by "blending in" than, as a former partner did, and start every statement with "We are from America..." Even when I was in SAN visiting for a week, I found some great restaurants simply because I asked native Mexicans in Spanish about different things.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

57AZ

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:23 pm

Be polite, learn important local customs and generally do as the locals do.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

Dougloid

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Learn to enjoy the food and culture of other countries. Sure, it won't taste like home or be the same as back home. But if you really want the same as back home..... STAY HOME !!!!!

Would your reaction be any different if they said "Where can I find Tim Horton's?".

ShyFlyer

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:48 pm

Make sure you have correct change for the bus.  embarrassed 
I lift things up and put them down.

andz

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:03 pm

I didn't read all the posts but, from personal experience.... DON'T say: "oh this/that/the other is SO much better back home"

If that is the case. F. off home and don't come back.

oh, and don't talk so loud.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Dougloid

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:40 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 37):
DON'T say: "oh this/that/the other is SO much better back home"

What if it's factually true?

TSS

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:53 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 38):
What if it's factually true?

Even if it's factually true, it is rude in the extreme to point out that fact. Being a tourist in a foreign country should be like being a guest in someone's home- First, last, and always be polite and gracious to your host(s) and remember that you are a representative of your own country while you're there. Strive to be an ambassador of good will and leave your hosts with the most pleasant impression of your fellow countrymen and fond memory of your stay as is humanly possible.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Dougloid

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:59 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 39):
Even if it's factually true, it is rude in the extreme to point out that fact

Ze Americain Touriste
a play in one act.

The scene is the not particularly clean kitchen of a downmarket bistro somewhere in France.

An American tourist has ordered pot a feu. There are two cooks in the kitchen.

Henri: Eh, Luc, ze americain has said zat ze soup du jour tastes like ze camel piss. He has high hopes for ze pot a feu so he will not have to go to ze McDonalds.

Luc: Here's what we do, ma frere. Tell ze touriste zat it is not polite to say such things in mixed compagnie and is an affront to our sensibilities while I put ze turd in ze plate of pot a feu.

Henri: Zat will do just fine. For le gloire of le belle Republique!

(fade to black)

ScarletHarlot

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:33 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 40):
(fade to black)

Wouldn't

(fade to brown)

be more appropriate?
But that was when I ruled the world

Dougloid

Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:11 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 41):

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 40):
(fade to black)

Wouldn't

(fade to brown)

be more appropriate?

Pretty much.

It was but a hastily thrown together, off the cuff jape and jest, milady.

Wink

masseybrown

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:39 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 29):

There is a shopping area in the Washington area (Pentagon City, to be specific) that seems to attract more than its share of "Euro Trash", who are guilty of many of the same things that annoy people about Americans abroad.

JJJ

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:50 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 35):
Would your reaction be any different if they said "Where can I find Tim Horton's?".

In Europe the answer would be along the lines of "where's what?"

ltbewr

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:47 pm

I have traveled throughout Europe as well as NZ and Australia. Besides many of the above suggestions, some others I have include:
Don't use drugs that would be considered illegal back home. There are too many health and legal risks.
Watch how much you drink. Drunken behavior is embarssing, can lead to injuries and as you are in an unfamiliar place can cause other problems and risks of crime.
Make sure you are in good health, have your prescriptions with you in their original bottles, and have health insurance or it covers you outside of the USA.
Go to art and other museums.
Learn a little bit of the history of the city/country your visiting before you go.
Walk, bike, use mass transit and trains.
If driving, make sure you understand the rules of the road there, have good maps and drive carefully.
Stay in hostels, small guest houses.
Use the tourist services for advice, info, assistance for accomidations.

Dougloid

Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:05 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 45):
Don't use drugs that would be considered illegal back home. There are too many health and legal risks

Do not think that you should be able to walk into a Mexican pharmacy and buy oxycontin over the counter and not be called to account for it.

slider

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:11 pm

The piece is about what steps American tourists can take to be perceived as more welcome guests in other countries, as well as the mindset Americans should have when they travel.

Your question is posited on the assumption that Americans are idiots when they travel.

We've all got our stories, nightmarish horror stories that make you cover your eyes in embarrassment.

When I was in China, another American kept referring to the Chinese as "orientals"--I came close to beating him severely about the head, neck and shoulders.

But I agree with Supe-I think most of us, at least the crowd HERE certainly being more cosmopolitan and worldy, is fine with traveling abroad. If someone has a true interest in traveling and enjoying the experience, they're going to be naturally inquisitive to learn about the culture of their destination, the food, some key language and phrases, so the experience is enriched all the more.

The converse is also sadly true. When in Rome....

Aaron747

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 47):

When I was in China, another American kept referring to the Chinese as "orientals"--I came close to beating him severely about the head, neck and shoulders.

I've got that one beat - a group of three guys who obviously came over for the F-1 events at Suzuka Circuit (a speedway near Nagoya) in 2006 really stuck in my craw. First, they were commenting about various physical attributes of Japanese women at full volume on a crowded train, probably assuming nobody could understand their English. Nothing wrong with doing that in a bar, or any other appropriate venue, but on a train at 10 in the morning?? Then - I swear this is true - after about 10 minutes one of them finally noticed not another soul was talking, much less at full volume, and said loudly to his compatriot, "Man, isn't it weird how nobody talks to each other on the train? Is that a Japanese thing?" I vowed to only speak Russian if they dared approach me with a question.

yooyoo

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:40 pm

Mark, will you be posting your article for all of us to read?
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T