MCOflyer
Topic Author

Can People Ever Learn To Park?

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:28 pm

Parking is a disaster at my apartment complex because of people like this:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/Kingfaulisi/CIMG0584.jpg

Also, isn't one the first things they teach you how to do is park in driver education? Finally, has anyone experienced something like this? I have already asked them politely to not do this as it takes up two who primary spaces when can do that in the back. Share your photos of people who can't park.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

AF340

RE: Can People Ever Learn To Park?

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Thread starter):
Share your photos of people who can't park.

I don't stalk bad parkers...

Liam

luv2fly

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:37 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 1):

Liam

Enjoyed your comment.
You can cut the irony with a knife

IHadAPheo

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:37 pm

What was their parking error?, lights on, incomplete parking permit paper?

oh yes one of my favorites would have to be

Never park in the land of the red-dots

IHAP

[Edited 2008-11-11 15:39:32]
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

ACDC8

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:52 pm

Also, isn't one the first things they teach you how to do is park in driver education?

Whats drivers education?

Signed, Canada

Finally, has anyone experienced something like this?

Who hasn't?

Quoting AF340 (Reply 1):

LOL!
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

nkops

Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:54 pm

It's hard to park when your drunk!!!  champagne   champagne 
:evil:

ACDC8

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:10 am

Also, the picture in your post is obviously just someone who doesn't care about anyone else but themselves. Parking jobs like that are just pure laziness and people being inconsiderate.

Now, these are bad parking skills ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpcZLmIkpHI

Also, this site may be of interest to you ...

http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/

... I always get a chuckle out of the galleries.

[Edited 2008-11-11 16:17:40]

IHadAPheo

Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:18 am

One day I looked out my window and noticed a parking job so bad it scared the heck out of a poor tennis court causing it to jump back in terror

Oh the humanity, will they ever learn

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

bok269

Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:03 am

My pet peeve is when people dont pull up far enough while parallel parking, hogging the space from the rest of us.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

Fasteddie07

Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:07 am

This is an awesome thread, I live in a condo and people SUCK at putting her between the lines. Stupid thing is the homeowners assoc. never do anything about it. I usually leave a post it on their window then I take matters into my own hands.

NWADC9

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:43 am

Is it really that hard to back out and straighten the vehicle? If I come in crooked or too close to another car, I back out and fix it. Takes only an additional 10 seconds out of my time, but it saves the sanity of those around me.

I've seen cars parked half-n-half - left half in one spot, right half in the other. Clueless!!!  banghead 
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

Fly2HMO

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:57 am

because of people like this:

O so you mean nearly every woman out there Big grin  duck 

SkyyKat

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:14 am

Big version: Width: 600 Height: 447 File size: 48kb

I read somewhere that this was a wifey paying back her hubby during the divorce!

I think this parking pic takes the cake  Smile

57AZ

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:50 am

Also, isn't one the first things they teach you how to do is park in driver education?

What is this Driver's Education of which you speak?

Signed,

Arizona and California

Here in Tucson, there are a handful of places where cabs are prohibited from standing. One such place is Coronado Circle. I was talking with a cabbie one afternoon and he mentioned that a driver for one of the other companies racked up $1,200 in citations in one incident. He was cited by a Tucson Police officer for illegally standing but wanted to argue with the officer. The officer noticed that the cab was partially straddling two marked handicap spaces, so he got the driver on those two counts as well.

Then one day I saw some moron who got three citations for poor parking. One tire was on the sidewalk, the car was angle parked in a parallel parking space and the rear fender was in a red zone.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

stasisLAX

Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:17 am

My red-neck neighbors love to park their rusty Chevy Suburban in the "compact car only" spots in the parking lot. I've turned them into our property management office a couple of times now.  biggrin 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

707CMF

Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:27 am

Last Saturday, I had a nice one : your usual riced car with tainted windows...

... using two spot instead of one (must think he/she was an aircraft pilot, driving on the 'centerline') ...

... I'm talking of two handicapped parking spots...

... no handicapped licence on the windshield of course !

What I'm wondering is : should he/she have been fined for that, would he/she have to pay a double fine ?

Cheers,

MCOflyer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:19 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 6):

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 10):

Is it really that hard to back out and straighten the vehicle? If I come in crooked or too close to another car, I back out and fix it. Takes only an additional 10 seconds out of my time, but it saves the sanity of those around me.

Same here and I back in backwards most of the time. Not that hard to park when you drive in.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

EasternSon

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:31 pm

Quoting Ihadapheo (Reply 7):
One day I looked out my window and noticed a parking job so bad it scared the heck out of a poor tennis court causing it to jump back in terror

I have no idea what I'm looking at in this picture. I see the tennis court, but have no idea which of the 27 cars in the picture you're referring to.

Am I missing something obvious? Please explain.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

glid4500

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:42 pm

I have already asked them politely to not do this as it takes up two who primary spaces

nah just park in between the lines normally. It'd be fun to watch them back out, especially if another car was parked right on the other side.

theres a lady in my apartment complex that cant park worth of crap...actually parks just like that. Its unfornate that i have to park next to her.
http://www.facebook.com/ea90744

ME AVN FAN

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:51 pm

-
Isn't your reaction a bit exaggerated and "over the top" ? I mean the way this car got parked is incorrect and careless, but from your photo we can see that the spaces on each side are empty and the burning lights show that the driver is to come back before long, and so will be away long before a rush for these parking spaces will start.

n234nw

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:57 pm

I have to come clean and admit that I have a problem parallel parking.
I think it is because I have to do it so infrequently. I'm always too close to, or too far away from the curb, cars, etc, but never obstructing traffic. I would rather give up and find someplace else than look like a parking jerk.

Here in Seattle, it's not uncommon to see people parking ON the sidewalk in certain neighborhoods (Ballard comes to mind).

B6JFKH81

Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:42 pm

In order for people to know how to park, they need to learn how to drive first. Considering my 80 mile r/t commute daily, I see more than enough people who don't know how to drive. This is why I now take a road that takes me 10 miles out of the way, but at the times of day that I drive there is nobody on it (literally, I only see 1 or 2 other cars for the entire length of that parkway). So, long story short, a lot of people suck at driving out there, and that carries over when they try to "bring the big boy in for a landing" into their parking spot.  banghead 

~H81
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

David L

Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:54 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 19):
from your photo we can see that the spaces on each side are empty and the burning lights show that the driver is to come back before long, and so will be away long before a rush for these parking spaces will start.

I don't say this to you very often but... good points  Smile . We need to know how many other spaces are available.

The last really bad parking I witnessed was on Christmas Eve at PC World where some selfish, incompetent woman managed to park diagonally across the very last two spaces while I was waiting behind her for one of them. I rolled down the window and asked her to move so I could get in and her response was that there wasn't enough room. She kept on walking so there wasn't a great deal I could do about it.
 grumpy 

More regularly, I live in a street where cars park on both sides, leaving room for cars to move in one direction at a time only. Some days our bins don't get emptied because they can't get the garbage truck up the street thanks to the Nissan Micra and Peugot 20x drivers who manage to park furthest from the kerb.
 grumpy 

TupolevTu154

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:04 pm

http://www.iparklikeanidiot.com/

All you'll ever need  Wink

57AZ

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:37 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 16):
Not that hard to park when you drive in.

Not terribly hard to back in, either-if you know how to do it. Some parts of Tucson have back-in parking only.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

TUNisia

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:53 am

We're currently living in an apartment complex until our house is ready and we've already run into these parking nuts. We had our three cars (we're allowed three spaces since it's a 3 bedroom unit and no assigned spaces) parked together close to the entrance to the building the first night we were there. I guess that upset someone since the next day we found a note on our cars stating in all caps "you're in other residents spaces." Nice welcome isn't it?

I met the husband of the woman who left the notes they have 4 cars between them and only have a 1 bedroom unit (3 jags and a volvo). He told me that they have been parking there for years and he'd appreciate it if we'd move our cars. The wife now parks 2 of her cars permanently in the space in such a way that they block 4 spaces. Crazy people out there!
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

ACDC8

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:56 am

but from your photo we can see that the spaces on each side are empty and the burning lights show that the driver is to come back before long,

Wouldn't that be the reflection from the camera flash on the cars reflectors/licence plate ....  scratchchin   Wink

Quoting EasternSon (Reply 17):
I have no idea what I'm looking at in this picture. I see the tennis court, but have no idea which of the 27 cars in the picture you're referring to.

Same here, its been bugging me since the first time I saw the picture.

57AZ

Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:08 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 26):
Wouldn't that be the reflection from the camera flash on the cars reflectors/licence plate ....

Actually, after looking at the photo closely I do think that the lights are on. Maybe only the marker lamps, but I think that on that model the tail lamp is in the center of the lamp units.

bok269

Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:41 am

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 27):
Actually, after looking at the photo closely I do think that the lights are on. Maybe only the marker lamps, but I think that on that model the tail lamp is in the center of the lamp units.

checkmark 

Notice how there is no light ahead of the car, and that all the light in the foreground is white light, like that of a camera flash, not a taillight?
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

smcmac32msn

Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:59 am

I mean the way this car got parked is incorrect and careless, but from your photo we can see that the spaces on each side are empty and the burning lights show that the driver is to come back before long, and so will be away long before a rush for these parking spaces will start.

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 27):
Actually, after looking at the photo closely I do think that the lights are on.

THE LIGHTS ARE ALL OFF. Go take a picture of your car in the dark with the flash on, you'll figure out where your reflectors are when looking at the ensuing photo. That is a Ford Taurus SE... the brake (illuminated by a light bulb) lights are the top half of the red area that are dark in this picture.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

asuflyer05

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:06 am

I'm the awesomeness when it comes to parallel parking. I laugh at people in Arizona who can't master it.

ACDC8

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:26 am

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 27):

But then there would be a bit of light around the licence plate frame ....  Wink

Who really cares anyways, just what I figured when I first saw the picture. Nonetheless, lights on or off, I'll admit that the parking job isn't the best, nor is it really that bad. Sure would annoy the hell out of me night after night though.  Silly

skidmarks

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:32 am

People these days park like they drive. In a hurry, with no consideration and little skill. The car has got to be such a part of them it is no longer considered as the lethal killing machine it can be.

Rarely will you see someone reverse park in a supermarket or town parking area and, if you do, there is an impatient asshole up close trying to get past the second a gap wide enough appears. But the same asshole will not let anyone out when they are trying to reverse out of the space they drove into.

Driving is now such a part of life that people have no concept of coutesy or skill, they rarely think ahead or watch the traffic. It's "get out of my way I'm in a hurry and the guy on the phone needs me to make a decision ". Most drive offensively instead of defensively paying no mind to other users who may be obeying the rules of the road or simply scared shitless of all the nutters out there!

Parking? Tip of the iceberg where driving w***ers are concerned!

Rant over Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

BlueElephant

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:26 pm

www.youparklikeanasshole.com

Print stuff out..and put it on the car.

FruteBrute

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Wow. I just can't believe something so insanely petty seems to ruin some people's day here. I guess my life is just too busy for me to worry about someone elses parking job, much less take the time and energy to photograph them, and write them nasty-grams to leave on the windshield.

smcmac32msn

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:58 pm

Another fun one is a super-heavy tie-strap around a drive-shaft is always a fun time for you to do, and a Mechanic to find.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:08 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 26):
Wouldn't that be the reflection from the camera flash on the cars reflectors/licence plate ..

-
possible, but not changing the points that it was night and the two neighbouring spaces empty
-
possibly still many hours to go until a rush was to set in for the spaces around

max550

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:24 pm

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 8):
My pet peeve is when people dont pull up far enough while parallel parking, hogging the space from the rest of us.

Amen

When I used to live in a city those people irritated the hell out of me.
There was one guy who lived near me who seemed to think you try to line up the center of the car with the white line, I have a picture of it somewhere. The guy got ticketed once or twice because he would only put money in one meter, but he never seemed to stop.

As for cars parked like the photo, I deal with it all the time in the garage at work. Unfortunately there's not much you can do about it.

57AZ

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:58 am

Quoting FruteBrute (Reply 34):
I just can't believe something so insanely petty seems to ruin some people's day here.

Except when it's blocking your access gate or something like that. The street railway that I volunteer with has a routine problem with vehicles parking in the designated No Parking Zone in front of our car barn. My satisfaction is that if I catch a vehicle illegally parked there, I can order a police tow. Notify the beat officer that there's an illegally parked vehicle. They come and cite the car ($150 fine) and immediately radio for a tow. Once the wrecker hooks the vehicle, it's legally theirs until the owner pays the citation. We get a pretty quick response from the wrecker on call. I don't care that someone's going to stumble out of one of the bars at 2AM and find their ride gone.

MaverickM11

Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:30 am

I actually got a love note today on my car telling me to "learn how to f#cking park" Silly. I was inside both lines so I'm not sure what the problem was. It was probably a Dodge F1000 F#ckoff Ram job with a Hemi parked in a compact space next to me that I got a little close to on the driver side. I seem to do that a lot. On purpose Smile. My bad.
E pur si muove -Galileo

DocLightning

Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:19 am

The scourge in New York is the trucks that park in the middle of the road. One morning, I was on my way to work and found my car parked in by a truck that was unloading.

After about 5 minutes of standing there wondering how I was going to get to work, one of the men from the truck came out and I asked him to move. Now, I was standing there in a white coat and stethoscope, and explaining that I was going to be late to work. His answer: "Sorry, doc. Gotta finish unloading this truck."

"How long will that take?"

"I dunno. Couple hours maybe." (This is why I hate New York; people think that this is acceptable behavior)

Well at this point I said that I would have to call the police, which I did. Somehow, they are more sympathetic to a doctor needing to get to the hospital than the truckers are. As soon as the cop car pulled up about 10 minutes later, the truckers started trying to move the truck. Too late. I'm not sure how bad the fine was, but I hope it was huge.

The thing is that it happened to me about once a month. Usually, it just took a threat to call the cops and explain that a doctor was going to not be able to get to the hospital to get them to move, rather than actually following through on the threat. But the illegal parking issue of delivery trucks in New York really needs to be cracked down upon.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

allrite

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:19 am

I sympathise with your parking complaints. I arrived home yesterday to pickup the car in order to drive to the hospital to collect my wife and our newborn son. I found a removals truck parked right across our shared driveway blocking the exit. I found our grevillea plant snapped in half, a stone removed from our garden and just left on our grass nearby. It's not like there wasn't plenty of space to manoeuvre and park or anything.

No apologies for the damage.

The removalists drove off and and I was able to go collect my wife.

When we got home in the evening there was a ute parked across our driveway again.

The previous tenants are back next door. No respect for other people's property. We are all just their rubbish bin, parking spot, playground. And now the kids are into cars and trailbikes without mufflers. I almost wish that our baby son would scream loudly at night just to keep them awake the same way that their kids swearing and mother's Arabic music videos have kept us awake in the middle of the night.
I like artificial banana essence!

skidmarks

Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:33 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 40):

You don't have a monopoly on delivery drivers with attitude Doc. All over UK they think that a LWB Tranny or 4.5ton truck is an excuse to park wherever, whenever. We all know they have a job to do, but a simple request and informing the people blocked in saves hours of aggro and sometimes violence!

It comes down to courtesy and respect, something there isn't a lot of when folks get into a motor vehicle these days.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

smcmac32msn

Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:29 pm

On a sad note about being able to park, I just wanted to pass along this story from a Milwaukee mall last night. My girlfriend was right near by when it happened.

http://www.jsonline.com/newswatch/34485144.html

If the link doesn't work, here is the story's text:

A sport utility vehicle ran into and killed a woman Friday in the Southridge Mall parking lot, also injuring two grandchildren of the woman and a passenger in the SUV.

The 46-year-old woman was pinned under the SUV and the two children were injured when the SUV driver lost control in the Southridge lot and struck the pedestrians.

The woman suffered serious injuries and was taken to Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa, Greendale Police Chief Rob Dams said. The medical examiner's office later said she died. The woman's 3-year-old grandchild suffered non-life-threatening injuries and a 2-month-old grandchild suffered abrasions, the chief said.

A 51-year-old woman who was a passenger in the SUV also was injured, according to the GreendaleNOW Web site. She was taken to Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center with minor injuries, and the two children were taken to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin in Wauwatosa, the site reported.

The SUV's driver, a 62-year-old woman, hit another vehicle while trying to find a handicapped parking spot, the chief said. The SUV rebounded off that car and struck the three victims, who were getting out of another vehicle. The SUV driver then hit two other cars, Dams said.

The SUV driver told police that her accelerator stuck, causing the accident. Investigators planned to impound the vehicle to perform mechanical tests.

Police were called to the accident near the Sears department store about 1:45 p.m. When officers arrived, they pushed the vehicle off the grandmother.

The mother of the children was also there. She wasn't injured, Dams said.

Christine Greco of Milwaukee said she and her three daughters pulled into the mall lot soon after the accident. They saw the damaged cars and the stroller used to carry one of the children.

"My oldest daughter was crying in the car. They were scared to get out of that car once they saw that," Greco said. "I think for any parent that would hit home."

FruteBrute

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:22 pm

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 43):
The SUV driver told police that her accelerator stuck,

Rarely, if ever is this really the case. In almost every instance the driver stomped on the gas.

I watched this moron back up out of her parking space and crunch into another parked car about 20 feet behind her. She lost her frickin mind, and immediately jammed the car into drive floored the gas, and went full blast into the building's brick wall she had just been parked in front of. THEN, freaks out again and slams it into reverse and smashes back into the car she just smashed into again, only this time at about 15 MPH! By this time people are standing watching screaming at her, "Get out of the car you stupid b****!" She gets out of her car now smashed into the car behind her and leaves it running & in reverse. She was about 40 years old. An absolute basket case! IMHO, her license should be revoked after that and she is never, ever allowed to drive ever again.

smcmac32msn

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:36 pm

Quoting FruteBrute (Reply 44):
Rarely, if ever is this really the case. In almost every instance the driver stomped on the gas.

Thats what I thought too. My first guess on the age of the driver was a 20-something girl on her cell phone, while sucking down a bottle of Dasani that fell onto the floor and jammed the gas pedal. I'm sorry, but if you're not comfortable in an SUV, don't f**king drive one!

andz

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:37 pm

I mean the way this car got parked is incorrect and careless, but from your photo we can see that the spaces on each side are empty and the burning lights show that the driver is to come back before long, and so will be away long before a rush for these parking spaces will start

Using this logic then it is okay to run a red light at 3am because the road is quiet and there is nothing coming the other way?
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Ncfc99

Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:50 pm

A family freind, who was a truck driver, had been in hospital for a procedure to arrive home to find his daughters car parked in the middle of the driveway, an his wife unable to get their car into the driveway. He came stomping into the house, in a fair bit of pain and said, "Bloody women, they don't park cars, they abandon them were they stop". Absolutly priceless. I am laughing thinking about it now.

DocLightning

Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:16 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 46):
Using this logic then it is okay to run a red light at 3am because the road is quiet and there is nothing coming the other way?

Actually, yes. Well, at least in the U.S. We had a rash of carjackings a while ago and so now, if it's late at night and you've come to a complete stop and then you go after seeing that there are no other cars within sight, most cops will not ticket you.

I did get pulled over for it once. I explained to the officer that I'd come to a stop, nobody was coming, and I suddenly felt like someone was watching me and felt quite unsafe, so I went on. I said "I'm glad that that someone watching me was you." He let me go. And if he hadn't, then the judge probably would have.

With parking, you just don't know who is going to need to park while you're gone, even if it's just for a couple of minutes.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

andz

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:31 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 48):
carjackings

I'm not arguing with that scenario, carjacking is a way of life here and I have done this too. The point is, just because there is more space available doesn't mean you should park like a twat. If everyone applied the rules according to the situation at the time we would be living in anarchy.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...