mke717spotter

Gas Price Drops Below $2 A Gallon

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:07 am

Four years and two months ago the following topic was posted here on A.net:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...175&s=gas+prices+below+2#ID1267175

It asks whether or not gas prices (which at that time were hovering around the $3) would ever go below the $2 mark. Rememeber now, this was over two years ago, before the whole oil crisis hit with prices shooting up into the $100s. Just about everybody who replied to that thread thought there was almost no way we'd see prices even close to the $2 mark, not to mention some of the people on here who just a few months ago were posting saying that it would be up to $15 within a year. Well, low and and behold when I was drivin back from MKE through Oak Creek today I saw a station that was selling for $1.99 per gallon. Shocking, right? And yeah you can say all that stuff about how the economy is bad, but I still think it proves all those people wrong who are so ominous at the first sign of a price increase. I've just kinda been a bit skeptical the entire time and I think people just need to relax a bit over the matter.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

nkops

RE: Gas Price Drops Below $2 A Gallon

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:12 am

Quoting Mke717spotter (Thread starter):
Gas Price Drops Below $2 A Gallon

Not here...... not yet anyway....

I think it's funny we are "trained" to think gas at $2.00/gal is cheap.
:evil:

corey07850

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:29 am

Saw $1.93 near Springfield MA yesterday...

mt99

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 am

See there was no reason to "Drill Baby Drill"
Step into my office, baby

B6JFKH81

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:00 am

It's odd, but over the last week to 2 weeks, the price started to climb back up around me a little. I was thrilled when I got a tank at $2.43, now I am seeing $2.47 again and over $2.50 by my parents, while some stations are dropping into the $2.3# range. I guess sometimes it just takes a little extra time to trickle its way over here.  grumpy 
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

Pyrex

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:24 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 1):

I find it funny that you think it is not.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

WunalaYann

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:28 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 5):
I find it funny that you think it is not.

checkmark  Add me to the list. So let's see, the economy is contracting yet oil is still above $40/bbl. It'll be funny to look at oil prices in two years, once we swing back into 2.5 or 3% annual growth.

Smile

N867DA

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:51 am

Regular unleaded is $1.95 in Chamblee, GA. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing though.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

steeler83

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:04 am

Regular gas here in Exton is still at $2.21 just down the street... getting closer tho...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

STT757

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:14 am

Over the weekend I filled up my Wife's Volvo, I paid $1.95 per gallon cash 87 octane. It cost $23 dollars to fill it up, these lower prices are literally putting money back in my pocket.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

planesarecool

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:35 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 1):

Considering that the cheapest we have over here is around $6.00/gal, and it's only that low in $ because of the crap exchange rate these days, then $2.00 is cheap.

Funnily enough, you have to pay for fuel, it's not a right.

vikkyvik

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:53 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 1):

Amusingly enough, any gas over $1.50/gallon or so seems expensive to me (even if it's really not - I know very well that we have cheaper prices here than many countries). Probably because soon after I started driving, in late high school, prices were down to $0.97/gallon.

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 2):
Saw $1.93 near Springfield MA yesterday...

Damn. It's still up at $2.40-2.50 here in SoCal.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

57AZ

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:32 am

Yes gas prices are dropping, but if you're one of the newly unemployed that doesn't help much. We're still about $2.29 here in Arizona and I don't think that it will drop much further. OPEC is already working to cut production-I think that $40 a barrel is their target mark. If demand drops much more, expect further production cuts.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

N174UA

Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:41 am

$2.30 here in Everett, WA...2 miles southeast of the Boeing plant.

smcmac32msn

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:06 am

Woodmans! Hell yeah! I went and filled up over there tonight after work!
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

FruteBrute

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:20 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 1):

Frankly, $3.50 is cheap per gallon.

$1.50 or $2.00 per gallon gasoline is not in the long term interest of our nation.

smcmac32msn

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:42 am

Quoting FruteBrute (Reply 15):

$1.50 or $2.00 per gallon gasoline is not in the long term interest of our nation.

Wow I'd like to hear your thinking on this one......

pilotboi

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:47 am

Four years and two months ago

You mean two years and four months ago. Four years ago the prices were about where they are now, were they not?

WunalaYann

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:52 am

Yes.

Too right. $2/gallon simply is not part of the long term future of your (or anyone else's) nation, much less its interest.

Smile

flymia

Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:33 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 3):
See there was no reason to "Drill Baby Drill"

Well lets just see how prices are in 10 years. Why not just drill now and stop giving money to places that do even like the US.

$1.50 or $2.00 per gallon gasoline is not in the long term interest of our nation

Well if the ecnomy is good and prices can remain that low I dont see a problem with it. I rather have all the other non-oil companies like Airlines for example making money while oil companies dont make $14 Billion dollars! Low oil means low cost of things which mean more people buy. I cant see why 1.50-$2.00 a gas would hurt anyone but the oil companies.

As far as gas under $2.00 I have not seen it under $2.50 in the DC area but I only drive about once a week.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

wn700driver

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:29 am

Too right. $2/gallon simply is not part of the long term future of your (or anyone else's) nation, much less its interest.

You would not say that if knew how economies actually work. If the price of transport becomes prohibitvely high, as anything above $2.90 is in the US is, there is nothing positive or acceptable about that.

I do agree, however, that a side effect of temporarily cheap oil is that other solutions will not be prioritized. Lowered fuel costs will give issues like health care and social spending far too much attention (as if they didn't have that already), and set us a bit too far back, technologically speaking. I think prices around $2.80 or so per gallon will satisfy the needs of our economy, but be "painful" enough to promote alternatives, and that is where we need to be.
Don't get me wrong, I like that I spent only $1.83/gal yesterday (Go Texas!), but that can't last forever.

As for all this ho-ha about a contracting economy... Get over it. We have far too many people in this country to support the standard of living we like. It is inevitable that people will lose jobs. No amount of voting or tinkering with Wall Street will change that.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

ltbewr

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:47 am

Many states are getting into serious deficits as the economy contracts revenue is sharply declining from income, sales and other taxes, yet they have continuing obligations such as education, health care for the poor, unemployment and others. I suspect that with that some states will take advantage of gasoline prices going under $2 gallon (yesterday I saw $1.94/gal) and raise gasoline (not diesel) per gallon taxes to close part of that gap and to hold down demand with it's positive side effects. It wouldn't take much, perhaps 10 cents a gallon in the lower taxing states, with the raises done in incriments over several months.

Problem is of course that the higher taxes would more likely go into 'general revenue' and not so much for their primary purpose, to pay for road maintence. Road maintence has suffered due to the much higher prices of oil based asphalt and equipment fuel. If the new taxes were dedicated to road maintence and replacing bridges, it would circulate money into good paying jobs, improve the safety of our roads saving lives from fewer accidents, less problems with damaged vehicles, improving traffic flow benefiting businesses and long term enviromental benefits.

NIKV69

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:05 pm

but I still think it proves all those people wrong who are so ominous at the first sign of a price increase

It shows a very basic principle that fuel prices are driven by demand, period. It wasn't Bush's fault or OPEC or the futures. Supply and demand. If we use a lot of gas the price will rise rapidly. If we don't and production drops so does the price. This just proves the point. If the people making the oil know we are going to use a lot it will go back up. Happens over and over. The previous spike was a perfect oppurtunity for the media to blame Bush and the government but that is smoke and mirrors. Conserve and use less and you will pay less. Simple.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Delta767300ER

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:15 pm

$2.12 @ Exxon here in Orlando. Maybe we will see less Prius' on the road.

-Delta767300ER

FruteBrute

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:54 pm

Quoting Flymia (Reply 19):
Well if the ecnomy is good and prices can remain that low I dont see a problem with it. I rather have all the other non-oil companies like Airlines for example making money while oil companies dont make $14 Billion dollars! Low oil means low cost of things which mean more people buy. I cant see why 1.50-$2.00 a gas would hurt anyone but the oil companies.

Why? Because at $1.50 or $2.00 per gallon means the consumer has virtually no incentive to use a product (oil) that is not in this country's best interest to use whole hog like we have been. In fact by having a retail gasoline tax (meaning on consumers & not trucking companies and the like) it tamps down usage. Look what happens when prices for everyone hit $4.50? Everything from food to airline tickets to diesel and natural gas hikes goes thru the roof.

The US Govt has been subsidizing every gallon of gasoline for decades and supplying it to consumers for less than actual cost to this country. Right now our gas tax collected doesn't pay for all the actual highway dollars we spend. Nor does it even begin to cover $1 worth towards the two full time carrier groups we have to station in the Gulf to keep a steady flow of "cheap" oil, much less the war we have fought for the same reason. Nor does this come close to funding the pollution and air quality issues it causes.

We can't continue to buy something in such large quantities from an area of the world that is so opposed to us, and then send them hundreds of billions per year to fund even more hostile groups. Wake up America!

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:29 pm

It feels great to fuel up without feeling robbed. Cheapest I've seen around here is $1.92 so far. Diesel is still hovering around $3 though
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

vc10

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:38 pm

In the states how much is diesel compared to petrol, as here in the UK it would seem that the oil companies are lowering the price of petrol so as to grab the headlines for the lowest price fuel while the price gap between petrol and diesel is getting bigger.

At the moment petrol locally is 92.9 pence a litre, whereas diesel is 107.9 pence per litre. When fuel was this price before, there was only 4 pence difference between petrol and diesel , so it looks to me like diesel sales here are paying for lower petrol prices whilst the oil companies are still pulling in the huge profit.

OK grumps over with

littlevc10

DocLightning

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:38 pm

Don't celebrate too much, folks.

It'll bounce back. It has to.

In the mean time, would the airlines PLEASE rescind all the absurd fees they put on us?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

mke717spotter

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:43 pm

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 17):

You mean two years and four months ago. Four years ago the prices were about where they are now, were they not?

Opps, your right, I meant to write it the other way around my bad.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Venus6971

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:52 pm

Filled up for 1.77 here in OKC but it was a 10% ethanol blend which gets less than 2 MPG dropoff than pure gasoline in a pickup. Being a Ok State fan it is hurting the University bad for deflated energy prices becuase the huge endowment that Boone Pickens gave OSU is tied to a hedge fun his group has money or used to have money in. It was in the news he is putting his huge windmill farm on hold in the Texas panhandle because of losses in the market.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

SkyyKat

Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:03 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 22):
It shows a very basic principle that fuel prices are driven by demand, period

I'll have to respectfully disagree. While to some extent you are right, OPEC is not a fair factor in the 'supply' aspect of S&D.

If every oil producer had to compete on the global market for prices just like airlines and was not regulated by OPEC you would see a true free oil market driven by supply and demand. Then every nation, and gas station could decide where to buy their oil from depending on price, OPEC is not good for anyone but the oil companies.

Imagine if there was an APEC (Air travel Producing and Exporting Countries), the same concept applied to the aviation industry. Prices to fly would be way higher than they are now, and every airline would have to comply or not be allowed to do business. Of course that is a silly concept, but why is it not silly applied to the oil industry?

Curbing production do to low demand is one thing, but doing it to keep prices high with the power of monopoly is a near criminal act in my opinion.

But what choice do we have? I'm off to fill up my tank by the way, running near empty 

[Edited 2008-11-13 08:10:19]

seb146

Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:46 pm

AFAIK, only one station in Lake Oswego is at $1.99. Up the street from me at ARCO, it is $2.15. Tri-Met, our regional transit agency, says ridership is up even with gas prices down. Good! That is what we need. Gas will not stay "low" for long.
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

STT757

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:24 pm

$1.85 a gallon 87 Octane here in New Jersey.

http://www.NewJerseyGasPrices.com/
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

FWA2500

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:28 pm

Here in Oxford and Hamilton Ohio it is as low as $1.74/gal for regular, the cheapest its been since I've had this car ('97 Subaru Legacy wagon)
ex-OH@CVG

smcmac32msn

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:55 pm

Wow, some of you don't remember 10 years ago when in places like Beaver Dam, Wisconsin... I filled up for $0.909/gallon. Seems like the economy was great then, the governments stayed within their means, and the world turned. Now we're freaking out that its not in the best interest to keep prices low, so we can buy more???? You'd rather spend a ton on a little, instead of a little on a ton? Governments need to stay within their means and tighten their belts too, not just us.

Quoting FruteBrute (Reply 24):
The US Govt has been subsidizing every gallon of gasoline for decades and supplying it to consumers for less than actual cost to this country

Really, you know that for a fact??? Seriously??? Try a little math. When gas was at $145/bbl, it equaled out to $3.29/gallon or so. Gas stations only upcharge a few pennies/gallon. The rest is tax. Here in Wisconsin its about 30%, making that single gallon of gas $4.27/gallon. Most stations here in Milwaukee during the summer was around $4.299/gallon.

Pyrex

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Quoting SkyyKat (Reply 30):
I'll have to respectfully disagree. While to some extent you are right, OPEC is not a fair factor in the 'supply' aspect of S&D.

If every oil producer had to compete on the global market for prices just like airlines and was not regulated by OPEC you would see a true free oil market driven by supply and demand. Then every nation, and gas station could decide where to buy their oil from depending on price, OPEC is not good for anyone but the oil companies.

Imagine if there was an APEC (Air travel Producing and Exporting Countries), the same concept applied to the aviation industry. Prices to fly would be way higher than they are now, and every airline would have to comply or not be allowed to do business. Of course that is a silly concept, but why is it not silly applied to the oil industry?

Curbing production do to low demand is one thing, but doing it to keep prices high with the power of monopoly is a near criminal act in my opinion.

Not, it is not criminal. The difference between your APEC (which used to exist, by the way - it was called airline regulation) and OPEC is that while anyone and their mother can start an airline oil is by definition limited to whatever you can find on the ground, and so must be preserved. Not to mention that, as sovereign countries, OPEC is immune from whatever criminal charges you might want to levy against them. Criminal would be for OPEC countries to let the wealth of their people fly off the door just so you can fill up on your F-150.

It is like Nickel - Canada and Russia have it, other countries don't, so if we want stainless steel we need to pay for it.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

AirframeAS

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:36 pm

Today, at the 7-Eleven at Church Ranch Blvd and US36 in Westminster, Colorado is $1.93 for the lowest grade. And I think at Costco on 92nd Ave is about maybe $1.84 probably. Costco is pretty much cheaper than anywhere else. I have been going there since. The last time I filled up at Costco last week, it was $1.93. It is good to see it back in the $1 area again, for the first time in a quite awhile!  bouncy 
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

WunalaYann

Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:33 pm

Quoting WN700Driver (Reply 20):
You would not say that if knew how economies actually work. If the price of transport becomes prohibitvely high, as anything above $2.90 is in the US is, there is nothing positive or acceptable about that.

Actually, you may want to read further into economics. There is this thing called a "price signal" that acts like a spur for economic agents (corporations, consumers, governments, etc.) to adapt their behaviour to a changing environment. Oil-based energy is expensive? Try something else. Like less reliance on transport, or transport that does not rely on oil-based sources of energy.

E.g. going to the movies is expensive? Hello DVDs.

Smile

Quoting WN700Driver (Reply 20):
I think prices around $2.80 or so per gallon will satisfy the needs of our economy, but be "painful" enough to promote alternatives, and that is where we need to be.
Don't get me wrong, I like that I spent only $1.83/gal yesterday (Go Texas!), but that can't last forever.

Agreed.  checkmark  Here's my price signal.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 35):
Not, it is not criminal. The difference between your APEC (which used to exist, by the way - it was called airline regulation) and OPEC is that while anyone and their mother can start an airline oil is by definition limited to whatever you can find on the ground, and so must be preserved. Not to mention that, as sovereign countries, OPEC is immune from whatever criminal charges you might want to levy against them. Criminal would be for OPEC countries to let the wealth of their people fly off the door just so you can fill up on your F-150.

checkmark  Oh man, what a gem!!!  bigthumbsup 

j_hallgren

Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:38 am

Paid $1.99 here on Cape Cod by paying cash ($.10 gal off) yesterday...highest paid during summer was $4.16, so I don't mind the drop back...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

nkops

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:50 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 32):
$1.85 a gallon 87 Octane here in New Jersey

I can't believe it is cheaper in North Jersey than South... still over 2.00 here.
:evil:

Tugger

Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:02 pm

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 12):
OPEC is already working to cut production-I think that $40 a barrel is their target mark. If demand drops much more, expect further production cuts.

The problem for OPEC and production cuts is that they nations that want the price of oil higher are already dealing with lower income than they want and perhaps need. SO if they cut their production then they will further reduce their income when they need to increase it. Often the price increase that may (and it isn't certain) accompany a cut in production tends to only keep the money coming in at the same level and for nations like Iran that isn't good enough so they cheat and produce more than they are supposed too.

This has always been the problem for OPEC.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

SkyyKat

Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:10 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 35):

I am not arguing the OPEC charter and in 'Theory' it works for the good of human kind  Yeah sure

It works in theory just like communism only works in theory, but has never been able to function properly. By not being able to be held criminally responsible is usually an open door for corruption, would you not agree?

And I drive a Mini Cooper BTW Big grin

AirframeAS

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:51 pm

It is now $1.77 at the Costco in Westminster, CO near my house, this was last night's price.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

WESTERN737800

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:46 pm

I just paid $1.93 in Sioux Falls, SD
Bring back Western Airlines!

Aeroflot777

Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:38 pm

It was $1.91 here in Salt Lake City at Chevron. Sandy, UT to be exact.

Aeroflot777

AA 777

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:15 pm

$1.99 in Daytona Beach....It was $3.40 about a month ago!
CRJ-700 FO

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:36 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 27):
In the mean time, would the airlines PLEASE rescind all the absurd fees they put on us?

Doubtful. Some of the airlines are paying above the market rate because their hedges are now costing them money.

Quoting AA 777 (Reply 45):
$1.99 in Daytona Beach....It was $3.40 about a month ago!

$2.07 on the north side along ISB. While my truck doesn't have an overly huge tank, it was nice to fill about 3/4s of the tank for just under $20.

My parents said they saw $1.99 in GSO the other day.

Quoting SkyyKat (Reply 30):

It's not criminal and oil isn't the only industry to do it. The diamond industry works in much the same way, severely limiting the number of diamonds they release into the market each year to be able to charge a far higher price.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

OlegShv

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:59 am

$1.69 for a gallon of 87 octane fuel at a Shell station here in SW Ohio.

Dougloid

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:03 am

Quoting OlegShv (Reply 47):
$1.69 for a gallon of 87 octane fuel at a Shell station here in SW Ohio.

Outstanding. E10 is $1.72 here this afternoon in central Iowa.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Jetsgo

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:11 am

I always love how it seems to be cheaper the further away from refineries you are. I would expect it to be the other way around due to transportation costs...Oh well!
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!