dxing

Congratulations General Dunwoody

Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:48 pm

The first female 4 star general in the Army's history. Congratulations and thanks for your long service to our country.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D94ERLRO3&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - Call it breaking the brass ceiling. Ann E. Dunwoody, after 33 years in the Army, ascended Friday to a peak never before reached by a woman in the U.S. military: four-star general.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

DukeofDashes

RE: Congratulations General Dunwoody

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:37 pm

Quoting DXing (Thread starter):
Ann E. Dunwoody

Appropriate name - after seeing her picture, my woody was dun.

Beyond the cheap joke though, congratulations on the accomplishment, General.
"I always keep a bottle of whiskey handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy!" - W.C. Fields

Charles79

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:59 pm

It's always refreshing to see our Armed Forces acknowledge the contributions that the gentler gender has made over the decades. Hopefully it will become more commonplace to see women holding the same ranks and positions as men do. I had the privilege to serve under a female 1-star (now waiting on her 2nd star already approved) and she was as diligent and efficient as her male counterpart.

PPVRA

Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:38 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 2):

You sound like she was promoted because she is a woman, not because of her credentials.

Considering how many lives are in her hands, it would be dastard to think the Army is making a political point and would certainly call into question the professionalism at the U.S. Army leadership if that was so.

I trust that is not the case nor is what you meant to convey.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

fridgmus

Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:17 pm

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 2):
gentler gender

"Gentler Gender?" not quite my friend. While I did not serve under GEN Dunwoody, I know plenty who have. She was the first female Battalion Commander in the 82nd Airborne Division, the 782d Maintenance Bn. Then-LTC Dunwoody did a fantastic job according to the soldiers I knew in her Bn. And while a Brigadier General (1 Star) commanding the 1st COSCOM in Iraq, again, a fantastic job.

While in the 505th Parachute Inf Bn of the 82d, my Bn CDR said she "had more balls than a lot of guys!"

A Master Parachutist, Parachute Rigger and graduate of the German Army Parachute course (among many other accomplishments), "Gentle" would not be an accurate description! As Commanding General of the Army Material Command, GEN Dunwoody will do a fantastic job, of that I have no doubt.

I met her once and found her to be one squared-away Soldier. Hoo Ahh!
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

WunalaYann

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:14 am

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 4):
"Gentler Gender?" not quite my friend.

I think you have "gentleness" and "bravery" mixed up. It is entirely possible, and often happens, to be both gentle and, well, ballsy, no pun intended.  Smile

Kudos to General Dunwoody for her promotion, and I hope this is a big break in the glass ceiling. Goodness knows we could use more females in positions of responsibility.

thumbsup