BlueElephant
Topic Author

Formula 1: Official Off-Season Thread #1

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:22 pm

Well...The F1 2008 season is officially done, and It was a pretty good season all around.

As The final testing of the season has begun, and the previous brazil thread was over 400 replies...I thought it was a fitting time to begin this thread.

The New cars are starting to roll out for testing.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72161

Canada's re-instatement plans have failed Sad
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72152

On top of that,

The Driver Market is still pretty interesting, apparently Force India Drivers could lose their seats, and Toro Rosso, and Honda have not confirmed their driver line ups.

and something interesting....

Michael Schumacher has been given an offer to ride SBK.
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/72117

GrahamHill

RE: Formula 1: Official Off-Season Thread #1

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:26 pm

Sh... I have created one topic as well.

Moderators, can we delete mine then? http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ms/non_aviation/read.main/2006468/

Thanks and apologies for that.
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

scbriml

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 1):
Moderators, can we delete mine then?

Done, but please repost the photo from your thread.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

GrahamHill

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:45 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 2):
Done, but please repost the photo from your thread.

Thanks Scbriml, very much appreciated  Smile

Here is the picture (taken from F1-Live.com):

This is how F1s will look in 2009...

Francoflier

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:54 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 3):

I haven't really followed the new tech regs, but have they shortened the width of the cars again?

That rear spoilers looks ridiculous. Those tech limitations are becoming insane and useless.
How hard would it be to just limit the teams' budget so that everybody spent a moderate amount of money on their car. You'd kill 2 birds with one stone, and bring more teams into the game (instead of driving them out...)

The KERS system will be interesting though. How's that going?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

GrahamHill

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:13 pm

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 4):
I haven't really followed the new tech regs, but have they shortened the width of the cars again?

They have not. It's just the front wing being wider that gives this impression.

That rear spoilers looks ridiculous

I was hoping it would look a bit better.

How hard would it be to just limit the teams' budget so that everybody spent a moderate amount of money on their car.

I agree 100%!!

The KERS system will be interesting though. How's that going?

I did not really follow the development of this system. How is the electrocuted pit crew, by the way?

bapilot2b

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:41 pm

Here is the picture (taken from F1-Live.com):

Don't like the new rear wing at all, looks well out of place. And the BMW Sauber nose looks very reminiscent of the old Williams 'walrus tusk' design on the FW26 back in 2004.

http://www.f1-fansite.com/wallpaper/2004/launch/FW26-1600.jpg
Jason Nicholls - v1images

LTU932

Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:49 pm

Why the hell did they greately reduce the size of that rear spoiler? Is it because of the upcoming re-introduction of the slicks? That looks just grotesque.

Plus I don't like the fact that the issue with the standard engine is still in play. If that happens, it will hurt F1.

scrubbsywg

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:05 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 7):
Why the hell did they greately reduce the size of that rear spoiler? Is it because of the upcoming re-introduction of the slicks? That looks just grotesque

They are trying to reduce dependence on aero. It may make cars look like crap, but hopefully it means better racing. Cars have changed over the years. this is just another evolution in the history of f1 cars.

B747forever

Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:22 am

Wow the F1 cars looks really weird. I really liked this past seasons cars. The nicest one was of course the F2008!!

Quoting BlueElephant (Thread starter):
Canada's re-instatement plans have failed

That is really sad. So it will only be 17 GP in the 2009 season
Work Hard, Fly Right

Francoflier

Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:39 am

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 8):
They are trying to reduce dependence on aero. It may make cars look like crap, but hopefully it means better racing.

I don't hold many hopes. They have done that kind of things for years now, with no real good results.

As a matter of fact I believe that the recent increase in competition level (at least between the 3 top teams) had nothing to do with the FIA's latest tech regulations.

A common engine might bring the teams closer, but as with everything else, the big teams will spend fortunes on developing the car and smaller teams won't be able to compete, even with the same engine. The same has happened with tires.
On top of that, they are slowly removing the manufacturer side of the sport from the competition, which is a BIG mistake in my opinion.

If they want everybody to have the same level of competitivity while keeping a decent number of teams and keeping the technology war going, all they have to do is make every team spend the same amount of money on developing and racing the car. This way they could keep making their own engines, chassis, etc (or subcontract) and all have a fighting chance while retaining their manufacturer national pride.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

LTU932

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:21 am

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 8):
They are trying to reduce dependence on aero. It may make cars look like crap, but hopefully it means better racing.

I doubt that. Aerodynamic adjustments are a big part of motorsports in general, and what FIA is doing is killing another true motorsports aspect of F1, just as they killed lots of F1 over the years and keep doing.

waterpolodan

Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:36 pm

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 10):

If they want everybody to have the same level of competitivity while keeping a decent number of teams and keeping the technology war going, all they have to do is make every team spend the same amount of money on developing and racing the car. This way they could keep making their own engines, chassis, etc (or subcontract) and all have a fighting chance while retaining their manufacturer national pride.

Maybe, but spending is even harder to regulate than things like aerodynamic devices and engines. Think about it... teams like Ferrari and Mclaren already have massive infrastructure and sponsorship deals that pump tens of millions of dollars directly into the development of their cars, and for the FIA to attempt to come in between that money and the cars and say "No, you can only have as much money as the poorest team in F1" would be impossible and fly in the face of the history of the sport. It's one thing to have a salary cap on a sports franchise, quite another to limit the spending of a team like Ferrari.

scrubbsywg

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:06 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 11):
I doubt that. Aerodynamic adjustments are a big part of motorsports in general, and what FIA is doing is killing another true motorsports aspect of F1, just as they killed lots of F1 over the years and keep doing.

this is not the end of aero aspects of f1 car design. In fact, more restrictions make it more of a challenge for designers and engineers to come up with downforce adding bits. We may be seeing the end of winglets, barge boards, etc. but teams will still be using wind tunnels, CFD, and prototyping to make their cars the best.

The only time we will see the end of aerodynamic adjustments in f1 is when the cars become spec and all the are allowed to do is adjust wings like they do in pitstops.

I think we should all take a wait and see approach. None of us are privy to any information on how teams are handling the new design constraints, but we may have a better time watching racing. Talking about how the new rules will limit this or that, and not help this, is premature. We have only seen one or two teams with 2009 spec aero. Some drivers have already said it will increase overtaking.

Stealthz

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:27 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 11):
Aerodynamic adjustments are a big part of motorsports in general, and what FIA is doing is killing another true motorsports aspect of F1, just as they killed lots of F1 over the years and keep doing.

As Scrubbs said, they are not killing aerodynamic adjustments.
What they are attempting to do is reduce the total amount of aero influence and the reliance on expensive, yet invisiblle to the fans, wind tunnel development. At the same time increasing the passing opportunities by reducing the effect the disturbed air has on following cars.
In some ways adjustability of the aero package is increasing because the driver will be able to adjust the front wing, which is wider and simpler than before (and inordinately ugly in versions see thus far), allowing them a simpler way to maintain car balance than previously avaialble.

The barge boards, winglets and various other bits & bobs are gone for 2009 and this will save millions in develoment.(as well as make the cars better looking)

I am a little confused about some of the combinations currently being tested though. I understand the need to obtain comparison data but some of the hybrid cars just don't seem to make sense to me.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

bill142

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:53 am

Was reading on the SMH website earlier on that Bernies wife is divorcing him.

Stealthz

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:43 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 15):
Bernies wife is divorcing him

Now there will be a catch for someone, not unattractive and I am sure Bernie will not get out of this without writing a substantial.. make that .. a huge cheque!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

scbriml

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:51 am

Report on BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7740348.stm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 16):
Now there will be a catch for someone, not unattractive

Not unattractive, and with several hundred million pounds in a bank account, becoming more attractive by the day.

Mind you, she needs to ditch the blue dress. It's really not doing anything for her. no 
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

bill142

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:10 pm

I wonder if bernie still had to stand on a box when she got on her knees....

Stealthz

Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:13 am

Breaking News at this time....
Mark Webber has been seriously injured when he was hit by a car while competing in his own Mark Webber Pure Tasmania Challenge.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/mot...dent/2008/11/22/1226770789235.html

Regards

Chris

bill142

Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:53 am

Looks as if it's a broken leg for MW. That will seriously restrict his testing over the winter.

Stealthz

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:03 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 20):
That will seriously restrict his testing over the winter

While that is significant, it will likely have a greater effect on his fitness program.

Cheers

GrahamHill

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:10 pm

I was a bit worried when I read the French news as they were more or less saying that he was seriously injured. But if it's "only" a broken leg, then it's better than what I thought.

Looks like it's more dangerous to go cycling than performing two flips at 330 km/h in Le Mans!!

B747forever

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:59 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 19):
Breaking News at this time....
Mark Webber has been seriously injured when he was hit by a car while competing in his own Mark Webber Pure Tasmania Challenge.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/mot...dent/2008/11/22/1226770789235.html

Regards

Chris

That is really bad. Hope he will recover fast and be back in the car again.
Work Hard, Fly Right

bill142

Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:07 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 22):
Looks like it's more dangerous to go cycling than performing two flips at 330 km/h in Le Mans!!

Obviously his bike wasn't built by Mercedes.

LTU932

Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:16 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 22):
I was a bit worried when I read the French news as they were more or less saying that he was seriously injured. But if it's "only" a broken leg, then it's better than what I thought.

The German news said that he was injured seriously, but emphasised at the same time that the injuries weren't life threatening.

Stealthz

Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:41 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 25):
The German news said that he was injured seriously, but emphasised at the same time that the injuries weren't life threatening.

The news here in Sydney said that as well, but then they are all running the same AAP story

A cutting barb for the Aussie media....

Quote:
Webber's long-time partner and manager, Ann Neal, learned of the accident while in Europe.

When contacted she said: "The Australian media is never interested in Mark when he races and then when there is an accident you're all on the phone.

"That's typical of Australian media and I actually have no further comment."

from AAP & SMH,
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/mot...mash/2008/11/22/1226770799927.html

Cheers

Alessandro

Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:21 pm

Perhaps David Coulthard will make a comeback?
He´s the testdriver for Red Bull right now.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

GrahamHill

Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:19 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 27):

He will miss the winter tests but will be back for the start of the season.

BlueElephant
Topic Author

Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:23 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 27):
He´s the testdriver for Red Bull right now.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72225
Red Bull has confirmed that Mark Webber should be fit for Melbourne.

However if he's not...I don't think they'd put DC back in the cabin...if I recall correctly he's been hired for broadcasting with BBC?

I bet they'd give the Driver that doesn't get a job at Torro Rosso, something temporary.

Hopefully that will be Sebastian Buemi...

with Sebastian Bourdais and Takuma Sato racing for Torro Rosso.

GrahamHill

Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:35 pm

Quoting BlueElephant (Reply 29):
I bet they'd give the Driver that doesn't get a job at Torro Rosso, something temporary.

That's highly possible.

Hopefully that will be Sebastian Buemi...

Even if Mark is not ready for the start of the season, I don't think he will miss the whole season, so Buemi could indeed do the first couple of races. It would be good training for him.

with Sebastian Bourdais and Takuma Sato racing for Torro Rosso.

Hopefully, yes. But nothing is sure yet for Bourdais  crying 

Alessandro

Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:38 pm

Hmm, I think DC is still the best option if Webber can´t drive? Why kick out S.Buemi as testdriver if he is better than DC?
I think BBC surely will allow him to compete?
Time will tell...
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

EZEIZA

Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:41 pm

Ladues & gents, sorry if this has been poted before but at a first glance I didn't see it.

Is it true that Bernie wants to take away the current point structure for the first three of each race and give them olympic-style medals? And at the end of the championship the winner would be the one with the most gold medals???

Sorry, the article is in Spanish, but that's what it's basically saying, as well as that if this medal system would have been in place in the past, there would have been 12 different wdc's, including this seasons' LH title.
http://www.as.com/motor/articulo/for...tes/dasmot/20081125dasdaimot_1/Tes

if this is true, I think Bernie hit an all time high in stupid rule changes  Sad

rgds and again sorry if this was mentioned before but I have to run and didn't have time to read the thread in detail  Smile
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

GrahamHill

Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:32 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 32):
Is it true that Bernie wants to take away the current point structure for the first three of each race and give them olympic-style medals? And at the end of the championship the winner would be the one with the most gold medals???

I did not hear this another-great-idea-from-uncle-Bernie, but if it's true, then I will be totally convinced that he has lost his mind.

LTU932

Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:36 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 33):
I did not hear this another-great-idea-from-uncle-Bernie, but if it's true, then I will be totally convinced that he has lost his mind.

I've heard about it, andI also believe that Bernie has once again lost his mind.

scrubbsywg

Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:37 pm

the 50% stake of STR that Berger owned has been bought back by Red bull. Looks like they are trying to make it easier to sell the team.

Stealthz

Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:43 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 34):
I've heard about it, andI also believe that Bernie has once again lost his mind.

I had heard about it but do not believe it was a serious proposal.
Considering the current points system was designed to maintain interest in the championship up until the end of the season even Bernie is not silly enough to introduce something that could have a "superstar" take the WDC home by mid season... or is he?

scbriml

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:45 pm

Here's mad Bernie explaining how the lack of overtaking has nothing to do with cars or circuits, but the fact that drivers don't get "gold medals" for winning races.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7749751.stm

Here's what Eddie Jordan thinks of it!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/7749958.stm

I would generally support a scoring system which most times resulted in the driver winning the most races being crowned WDC. However, I strongly believe it should be on the simple basis of awarding significantly more points for a race win.

I also believe awarding points down to 8th place has had a positive affect on racing. Thus, my suggestion for points scoring would be 15, 10, 7, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Interestingly, the ratio of points for 1st - 3rd is very close to the old 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 system.

GrahamHill

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:52 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 37):
Here's mad Bernie explaining how the lack of overtaking has nothing to do with cars or circuits, but the fact that drivers don't get "gold medals" for winning races.

I cannot imagine that such an important man in F1, that deals with billions of dollars, can come up with a stupid theory like that. I am hesitating between laughing or crying...

However, I strongly believe it should be on the simple basis of awarding significantly more points for a race win.

I agree.

I also believe awarding points down to 8th place has had a positive affect on racing. Thus, my suggestion for points scoring would be 15, 10, 7, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Interestingly, the ratio of points for 1st - 3rd is very close to the old 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 system.

That could be interesting indeed. Pole position and best race lap should also be rewarded with an extra point.

LTU932

Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:24 pm

Here's what Eddie Jordan thinks of it!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...8.stm

Suffice to say, I fully agree with Eddie Jordan.

Fact is that for a long time, many regulations, as well as F1's demand to rebuild certain circuits to their liking, that F1 has become this boring strategic extravaganza that it is today. Medals have absolutely nothing to do. We need to go back to the basics to make F1 exiting again, and part of that can be the re-introduction of the V10 engine, as well as banning fuel stops and restrict pit stops for things such as tyre changes or changing the damaged front or rear section.

EZEIZA

Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:50 pm

It's official then, Bernie lost his mind!

Besides, a medal system would mean that ptentially the wdc could be awarded with several races to go, right? Say, LH wins 7 out of the first 12 races, and those remaining three are split between Kimi, Massa and Alonso ... that's it, LH can sit down and have a smoke since it would be practically over.

I can understand Ferrari or Mclaren accepting something like this because it would virtually destroy the any competition, but it is BS no matter what. I really hope this does not go through.
Oh, and when he says that it's not the circuits why there are no overtakes .... has he ever been to Monaco?  Wink

B747forever

Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:58 pm

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 40):
Oh, and when he says that it's not the circuits why there are no overtakes .... has he ever been to Monaco?

He,he that is true.

I highly doubt that this medals thing will ever happpen. It would just quell the sport. Amazing that he can come up with something like this. Wonder where he gets everything from??

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 38):
Pole position and best race lap should also be rewarded with an extra point.

Agree. That would be something to have. Would make it a bit more interesting, especially the qualifying then.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Kiwirob

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:19 pm

I tried to get into F1 this year but couldn't it's still as boring as hell, F1 hasn't been worth watching since the halcyon days of Prost, Senna, Mansell, PK and co in the 80's and early 90's. What I did enjoy watching this year was the IRL, I know people bag it big time but with more road courses and overtaking, I mean real wheel to wheel racing plus a good title race I was hooked for the entire season, I'll try catch as many races as possible next year whereas I probably won't bother with F1.

Scott Dixon should be given an F1 drive, he's probably a lot better than many of the drivers currently in F1. Plus it might get the US market interested if the (even thought he's a Kiwi) IRL champ performed well in F1.

Stealthz

Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:02 pm

There are a couple of catches to Bernie's medal theory.
I think it would have only changed the result in one out of the last 10 years, yes 2008.(imagine if Massa's Spa win gained him the championship)
What it would have done is decided the championship by August or July in some cases.

The other catch is the proposal retains the current points system for the constructors championship so the teams are still going to have the same pressures as before so little if anything will change. How long will some hotshot retain his drive if he keeps throwing away points positions in futile attempts at "medals"?

Cheers

Boeing74741R

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:26 am

I can't believe that Bernie is that daft to come up with such a proposal!

I don't know. First they do a radical revamp of the cars which, in my opinion, are pig ugly and resemble something of a cartoon impersonation of F1 cars, now they want to make the biggest change in the points scoring system in years.

I really was getting back into F1 this year. If they go ahead with this I'm just not going to bother any more. Here's hoping Father Christmas grants every F1 fans wish and that the FIA blocks this proposal - it would make Max Moseley more creditable!

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 42):
What I did enjoy watching this year was the IRL, I know people bag it big time but with more road courses and overtaking, I mean real wheel to wheel racing plus a good title race I was hooked for the entire season, I'll try catch as many races as possible next year whereas I probably won't bother with F1.

You know what, I agree. All the races of IRL I've been able to watch here in the UK have been entertaining and all in the knowledge that it is well and truly man and machine, and none of the pit-stop strategy, technical junk that's taken over F1. Where IRL thrives in is the fact that races are unpredictable and are well and truly not over until the chequered flag is waived, and the same applies to their drivers championship.

GrahamHill

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:27 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 43):
What it would have done is decided the championship by August or July in some cases.

Which is not what Bernie wants. He always says that the ideal situation for Formula One is that the championship title is decided at the last corner of the last race of the season... which is exactly what happened this year!

B747forever

Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:10 am

Toyota will also launch its car in January, making it the 4th team: http://www.f1.com/news/headlines/2008/11/8740.html

Anyone know when Ferrari will launch the F2009??
Work Hard, Fly Right

EZEIZA

Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:19 am

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 45):
Which is not what Bernie wants. He always says that the ideal situation for Formula One is that the championship title is decided at the last corner of the last race of the season... which is exactly what happened this year!

Exactly! Despite (or thanxs to) the controversy, of who is a good driver and who has the best car, or any other of the discussions we had this season, the fact remains that the last two seasons have been decided on the last lap of the last race (last season if any of the first 5 would have not finished Alonso would have been champion if I'm not mistaken), making these last seasons extremely entertaining.
And I still don't understand how Bernie wants to risk to have champioships decided by mid-season.... who would watch the raes after that?
Are we sure this was not some April fools' day - style joke?

Quoting B747forever (Reply 46):
Anyone know when Ferrari will launch the F2009??

Save the best for last  Wink

scbriml

Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:10 am

Quoting EZEIZA (Reply 40):
Besides, a medal system would mean that ptentially the wdc could be awarded with several races to go, right?

Which is actually no different to the points system, is it? If one driver/car combination is dominant, the WDC is likely all over several races before the end of the season.

Stealthz

Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:47 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 48):
Which is actually no different to the points system

It can be quite different to the points system.
Under Bernie's plan driver A could win 6 races and DNF the other 12, driver B might win 5 be 2nd 3-4 times and 3rd a few more. Driver A is the champion, is he really a more deserving champion?

Under the points system they must be much more dominant to tie up the championship early.

Cheers