blrsea

Hillary Clinton To Accept Secretary Of State Offer

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:29 am

Hillary Clinton to accept Obama's offer of secretary of state job

Quote:
Hillary Clinton plans to accept the job of secretary of state offered by Barack Obama, who is reaching out to former rivals to build a broad coalition administration, the Guardian has learned.

Obama's advisers have begun looking into Bill Clinton's foundation, which distributes millions of dollars to Africa to help with development, to ensure that there is no conflict of interest. But Democrats do not believe that the vetting is likely to be a problem.

Looks like Hillary will be the next secretary of state.

oswegobag

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:40 am

Wow! UK gets the news before I heard about it in the US... haha

Mir

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:54 am

I would hope that this isn't true.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Superfly

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:58 am

....and Nydia Velázquez is expected to replace her in the Senate.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...elazquez_is_frontrunner_for_s.html
Bring back the Concorde

luckyone

Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:18 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):

I for one would hope it is. She is much less effective there than in the Senate or on the SCOTUS, which is where I was expecting her to end up, though she still may.

N867DA

Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:55 am

Quoting DXing:
Sec State is the stepping stone she needs to secure her Supreme Court nomination. The big question is, did anyone in New York ever really believe she wanted to be their Senator?

Politicians are sleazy. Why people like Hillary or Elizabeth Dole move to states where they know (or think, as Mrs. Dole pointed out) they can win easily will remain a mystery. Why voters send them to office is an even bigger mystery.

I am a bit apprehensive about Clinton working in the Obama campaign. After a very long primary season with a lot of words exchanged, it'll be a challenge for them to work together. The Senator from Punjab may still have a chip on the shoulder after being one-upped by Reverend Wright's adopted son. Clinton is more than capable of serving the role so there is some hope that everything will be fine.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

JetBlueGuy2006

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:00 am

Quoting N867DA (Reply 6):
or think, as Mrs. Dole pointed out) they can win easily will remain a mystery. Why voters send them to office is an even bigger mystery.

At least Hillary showed outwardly that she like NY. I read a report that Elizabeth Dole was in North Carolina a total of 16 times in one year...thats just 2 out of 56 weeks of the year.

Doesn't show much commitment if you ask me.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

stlgph

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:04 am

Quoting N867DA (Reply 6):
it'll be a challenge for them to work together

that's the point.

Quoting Oswegobag (Reply 1):
Wow! UK gets the news before I heard about it in the US... haha

?

it's been in the news for 3 days now.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

LTU932

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:38 am

So much for the message of change Obama preached since the primaries...  Yeah sure

QXatFAT

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:53 am

Well this would put her 4th in line for President. I am sure she would take the shot at being in line for President.

Hopefully he will work well with her because well, anyone heard of the Clinton 50?  Wow!
Don't Tread On Me!

boeingfever777

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:09 am

Show me a reliable news source please?

Bill Clinton's Foreign Affairs Could Cost Hillary Secretary Post

Obama would already be committing political suicide with this choice.

With Election Day less than a week away, presidential candidate Barack Obama said if elected he would choose a bipartisan Cabinet

Obama: My Cabinet Would Be Bipartisan

Hilary Clinton is not bipartisan in anyway.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

dxing

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:12 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 11):
Well this would put her 4th in line for President.

rotfl   rotfl  President Pelosi and Vice President Clinton.....somebody get the mud pit ready for some wrastlin!!!!  rotfl   rotfl 
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

LTU932

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:19 am

I thought the Secretary of Defence is 4th in line.

QXatFAT

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:27 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 14):

I think it is 6th in line
Don't Tread On Me!

boeingfever777

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:31 am

Vice President
Speaker of the House of Reps.
President pro tempore of the Senate
Secretary of State
Secretary of Treasury
Secretary of Defense
Attorney General

LTU932

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:33 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 16):
Vice President
Secretary of State
Secretary of Treasury
Secretary of Defense
Attorney General

Thanks. I wasn't quite sure about the order of succession for a president outside of an election.

steeler83

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:33 am

President...

1) VP
2) Speaker of the House
3) President Pro Tempore
4) Secretary of State
5) Secretary of Tresury
6) Secretary of Defense
7) Attourney General

Then, Secretaries of:
8) Interior
9) Agriculture
10) Commerce
11) Labor
12) Health and Human Services
13) Housing and Urban Development
14) Transportation
15) Energy
16) Education
17) Veteran Affairs
18) Homeland Security

Courtesy of: http://ask.yahoo.com/20060407.html

I hope that helps  Smile

As for this bit with Clinton, I'm not a fan of it either. Having her in any part of the cabinet will make his administration take one quantum leap to the left. If she becomes a Supreme Court Justice, oy...vey!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

N867DA

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:39 am

Since we are on this tangent, here's a quick question: When they say fourth in line to be president, what does it mean? Suppose by some catastrophe the president passes away. Then his VP becomes president. Does the VP get to choose a new VP or does the Speaker of the House automatically become the new VP? I think it'd make more sense to let the new president choose his new VP since the speaker of the house may be from a different party.

If fourth in line requires the president, vice president, and speaker of the house to pass away at the same instant, then the odds of Hillary becoming president is probably very small. Almost negligible.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

QXatFAT

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:50 am

Quoting N867DA (Reply 19):
the odds of Hillary becoming president is probably very small

I dont know, ANYTHING is possible with the Clinton family  Wink  duck 

I'm tellin ya...the "Clinton 50" or the "Clinton Hit List". Take a look on google sometime.

Back on subject, Is Obama planning on putting any Republicans or Independance in his cabnate? Just wondering if he is saying he wants "bi-partisan" people.
Don't Tread On Me!

boeingfever777

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:01 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 20):
Is Obama planning on putting any Republicans or Independance in his cabnate? Just wondering if he is saying he wants "bi-partisan" people.

Yes so he says... Obama Pledges to Appoint Republican to Cabinet

DocLightning

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:07 am

Wait a minute...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/17/clinton.cabinet/index.html

This says nothing about her accepting the position or it even having been offered.

I'm confused.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Mir

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:22 am

Since we are on this tangent, here's a quick question: When they say fourth in line to be president, what does it mean? Suppose by some catastrophe the president passes away. Then his VP becomes president. Does the VP get to choose a new VP or does the Speaker of the House automatically become the new VP? I think it'd make more sense to let the new president choose his new VP since the speaker of the house may be from a different party.

The VP would become president, and then they would get to appoint their own VP (would have to be confirmed by Congress). If the original VP then got killed, then the new VP would rise to the president's office, and they'd have to pick a new VP the same way.

But if some terrorist group is really committed (and really lucky), and takes out the President, VP, and Speaker of the House, then the President Pro Temp of the Senate becomes President, they pick a VP who has to be confirmed by Congress, etc.

So the only way that the Secretary of Homeland Security can become president is if all other people in the line of succession are killed at the same time.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

boeingfever777

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:22 am

When they say fourth in line to be president, what does it mean? Suppose by some catastrophe the president passes away. Then his VP becomes president. Does the VP get to choose a new VP or does the Speaker of the House automatically become the new VP? I think it'd make more sense to let the new president choose his new VP since the speaker of the house may be from a different party.

Section 2 of the 25th Amendment provides that "Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress

DocLightning

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:42 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):

So the only way that the Secretary of Homeland Security can become president is if all other people in the line of succession are killed at the same time.

checkmark 

Basically, this line of succession is in place as a very "just-in-case" sort of measure. I hope that it never has to be used since the only way I can imagine that it would happen is if a large nuclear bomb happened to explode over D.C. when the P, VP, SoH, President pro tem were all there, but the SoC were off overseas. At this point, I think the idea that Hillary would become President and her policies on this, that, and the other thing, really becomes secondary.

At that point you just need to know who is in charge, and it would be Hillary and I would not envy her one bit.

This is why, BTW, you very rarely see both P and VP appearing at the same time in the same place after the election. It is done occasionally and the Secret Service HATES it, but it's kept to a minimum. They generally do not meet much in person and if they do need to meet, it's usually done via teleconference so that they are at a minimum across town.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

mt99

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:44 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 16):

Vice President
Secretary of State
Secretary of Treasury
Secretary of Defense
Attorney General

So what is the "lowest" it has ever gotten? (BSG references not required  Smile)
Step into my office, baby

haggis79

RE: Hillary Clinton To Accept Secretary Of State Offer

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:17 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 23):
This is why, BTW, you very rarely see both P and VP appearing at the same time in the same place after the election. It is done occasionally and the Secret Service HATES it, but it's kept to a minimum. They generally do not meet much in person and if they do need to meet, it's usually done via teleconference so that they are at a minimum across town.

really? I was under the impression that at least Bush and Cheyney met (and probably still meet) quite frequently in the White House...? Doesn't Cheyney even have an office there?
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

Tugger

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:26 am

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 6):
56 weeks of the year.

Sorry, I can't resist, 56 weeks? Really? I always thought it was 52 weeks. Big grin

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

LTU932

Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:29 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 21):
The VP would become president, and then they would get to appoint their own VP (would have to be confirmed by Congress). If the original VP then got killed, then the new VP would rise to the president's office, and they'd have to pick a new VP the same way.

But if some terrorist group is really committed (and really lucky), and takes out the President, VP, and Speaker of the House, then the President Pro Temp of the Senate becomes President, they pick a VP who has to be confirmed by Congress, etc.

So, to put it bluntly, you'd have to kill pretty much the entire cabinet, as well as the leadership of Congress along with President and Vice President for the DHS boss to become president.

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 27):
Doesn't Cheyney even have an office there?

The Vice President does have his own office in the West Wing, but that doesn't automatically mean they always meet, apart from causal encounters while walking through the White House.

TSS

Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:14 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 24):
So what is the "lowest" it has ever gotten?

After the Watergate scandal and Nixon's impeachment, Secretary of State Gerald Ford became president.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Tugger

Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:30 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 30):
After the Watergate scandal and Nixon's impeachment, Secretary of State Gerald Ford became president.

Actually, Ford was the House Minority Leader when he was selected by Nixon to be Vice-President after Spiro Agnew resigned. It was the first time the vice-presidential vacancy provision of the 25th Amendment was implemented and the only time a vice president (and and later President when Nixon resigned) was not elected to either post by a regular, public process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Ford#House_Minority_Leader

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Mortyman

Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:22 am

The title of this thread is missleading. Hillary has not accepted anything so far......

ltbewr

Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:59 am

I have deep problems with HRC being Sec. of State.
First of all, she was one of the US Senators who voted for the war in Iraq, mainly out of fear of losing her next election if she did the right thing and say no. That suggests she may have serious conficts with President Obama as to that area of foreign policy.
Second, her husband is a former President, causing a serious conflict and ethical issues from his Foundations, being a defacto lobbist, taking big bucks from foreign governments and corporations both USA and outside the USA, for speeches, his own substantual ethical and behavior issues. Right now that vetting process is more focused on him due to those factors.
Third, you know the Republcians would fight her nomination like hungry lions over a small piece of food, bashing her and bringing up all her and Bill's serious ethical problems. We don't need that potentially ugly confirmation process that would help the Republicans and hurt the USA.
Fourth, I don't want a Sec.of State who will probably have policies with Israel that are not always in the USA's best interest, support the most right wing views there, continue to put Israel first over the issues of the Palestitens, continuing to make the USA a target of middle east terrorists.

dxing

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:05 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 31):
and the only time a vice president (and and later President when Nixon resigned) was not elected to either post by a regular, public process.

Thanks Tugger, I was suspicious of there being no VP for either Johnson or Truman and so went back and checked. Astonishingly enough, the country had no Vice President from April of 1945 to January of 1949 and again from November of 1963 to January of 1965. Guess that shows just how unimportant the VP slot really is, if it ever was important. Guess tomorrowls learnig will include who would have acted as the tie breaker in the Senate if a tie vote had come up during those periods. You learn something new everyday no matter how old you get and a lot of the time it is someone else that triggers the knowledge. Thanks for pulling the trigger today.  bigthumbsup 
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

ME AVN FAN

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:07 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):

-
Why not. She is far more popular around the globe than in her own country. And she already was active as a kind of "Secondary Foreign Minister" when being the First Lady.

Beaucaire

Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:39 pm

Personally I also would prefer a more "neutral" personality as Secretary of State -Hillary has had intensive fund-raising contacts with Israeli-lobby groups in New York and her -to phrase it carefully- very militant pro- Israel position would make her look as extremely biased in the eyes of many third world countries.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

JetBlueGuy2006

Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:50 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 33):
Second, her husband is a former President, causing a serious conflict and ethical issues from his Foundations

How do you know what goes on inside his foundation(s)? Do you work for either one? Or are you just basing it on what the media is saying, because we do know the media is right all time. But seriously, we don't know what goes on inside his foundation and if there is a conflict, then either she won't accept the post or they will have to work around it to avoid one.

First of all, she was one of the US Senators who voted for the war in Iraq

So did:

Allard (R-CO)
Allen (R-VA)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Bennett (R-UT)
Biden (D-DE)
Bond (R-MO)
Breaux (D-LA)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burns (R-MT)
Campbell (R-CO)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carnahan (D-MO)
Carper (D-DE)
Cleland (D-GA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Cochran (R-MS)
Collins (R-ME)
Craig (R-ID)
Crapo (R-ID)
Daschle (D-SD)
DeWine (R-OH)
Dodd (D-CT)
Domenici (R-NM)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Edwards (D-NC)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Fitzgerald (R-IL)
Frist (R-TN)
Gramm (R-TX)
Grassley (R-IA)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hagel (R-NE)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hatch (R-UT)
Helms (R-NC)
Hollings (D-SC)
Hutchinson (R-AR)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA)
Kohl (D-WI)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Lott (R-MS)
Lugar (R-IN)
McCain (R-AZ)
McConnell (R-KY)
Miller (D-GA)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Nickles (R-OK)
Reid (D-NV)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Santorum (R-PA)
Schumer (D-NY)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Smith (R-NH)
Smith (R-OR)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (R-PA)
Stevens (R-AK)
Thomas (R-WY)
Thompson (R-TN)
Thurmond (R-SC)
Torricelli (D-NJ)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Warner (R-VA)

Third, you know the Republcians would fight her nomination like hungry lions over a small piece of food, bashing her and bringing up all her and Bill's serious ethical problems. We don't need that potentially ugly confirmation process that would help the Republicans and hurt the USA.

But you also know that when her nomination is put to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee (if it is), the Democrats will have a 57-58-59 member majority, with even 5 or so Republicans saying she would do well, so it won't get as ugly as you think, just for the fact that when you already have 50 + in your majority by party and enough Republicans to break a fillibuster, won't be much of an issue.

I think Clinton would make a good SOS. She is well liked on the International stage and is comfortable enough with going around the World and helping restore the image of the US.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

wilco737

Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:55 pm

Guys, this thread is getting out of control and will be locked now.

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane