stasisLAX

Ford Motor Company Selling Volvo; GM Selling Saab!

Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:25 pm

Ford Motor Co. says it is considering selling Volvo Car Corp. as the struggling U.S. automaker seeks to raise cash and weather the industry crisis.

Ford said today it expects its strategic review of the Swedish luxury automaker will take several months.The Swedish government has said it has been in talks with Volvo and with General Motors Corp.'s Saab unit following reports that the U.S. parent companies were seeking aid for their Swedish carmakers.

Ford, GM and Chrysler will go before the U.S. Congress on Tuesday to present a proposal for $25 billion in loans to keep them afloat as sales sag.

Source: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ford2-2008dec02,0,1272557.story

Ford announced today in an official press release that it is "re-evaluating strategic options for Volvo Car Corporation", which means that it is looking to sell Volvo. Ford has owned Volvo it's owned since 1998. The troubled automaker states this evaluation will take about three months, during which Ford and Volvo will work together as they always have. While the sale of Volvo will be no doubt be decided upon during this time, Ford has also said it will be working on positioning Volvo as its own business unit since Ford's so-called "Premier Automotive Group", which once included Volvo, Jaguar, Aston Martin and Land Rover, has been systematically sold-off as Ford has needed cash to keep itself above water.

Meanwhile in the Motor City, General Motors is rumored to be offering up the Saab brand; GM's Hummer brand is already officially "for sale" on the market with no serious interested party that wants to buy it. Industry analysts say buyer interest in the brands most likely to be sold (Buick, Hummer, Saab, Pontiac, and/or Saturn) is rumored to be about nil because of the economic downturn. GM has been studying the sale or shutdown of its eight U.S. brands - with the exception of its successful U.S. brands (Cadillac and Chevrolet) in its attempt to return to profitability.

Source: http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1134070.html

Do you think that Ford should be selling Volvo? Maybe they should be closing Mercury instead? And should GM sell Saab (which its owned since 1989) and Saturn? I think Saab should be sold off but Saturn should continue to be developed into the North Americanized version of GM's European Opel division. Your thoughts?  scratchchin 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

b727

RE: Ford Motor Company Selling Volvo; GM Selling Saab!

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:49 am

I hope that the sale of Saab will help Saab. It seems as if the Saab quality has gone down hill since GM took over.

I hope both Saab and Volvo do well thru the sales.

B727

Glenn
(Former 2001 Saab 95 owner)

cptkrell

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:56 am

Maybe not a bad idea. Wrote some half-zillion words to this effect but lost post by pressing the wrong button.

FoMoCo's Volvo burden is too much (as was the Jaguar, Land Rover, etc pipedream).

GM's Saab wet dream has never got really wet; broom Saab as well as Pontiac, Buick, GMC, Saturn, Hummer. (GM should have poured dumptruck loads of $$ into Oldsmobile and given the rest of their rigmo nameplates nameplates a permanent plot of land). That Olds comment said, a manageble comprehensive line for GM COULD have been Chev, Olds, Cad.

FoMoCo; shitcan Mercury. But, get a few $$ out of Vulva beforehand.

Chrysler; jeeze...how big is my black dri-mkarker? Regards...jack

P.S. Notice how the USA "transplants" are repeating the big three's mistakes? Coming up with scads of new models and nameplates to appease everybody in the marketplace?
all best; jack

JoshSixtySeven

Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:04 am

I'm glad Ford will sell Volvo.

I'm a fan of Volvo's myself and the quality of them has got worse and worse ever since the arrival of the vehicles under Ford since January of 1999. The V40, for example, was an absolutely awful car. The interior resembled something knocked up by a group of toddlers.

Although, to Ford's merit the Volvo's they already had the "recipe" for such as the V70 have gone pretty well, and the latest ones seem to be fairly nice. Who could possibly say no to a T5?
Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that gets you...

Lumberton

Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:14 am

The topic states that Ford is selling Volvo; yet the post indicates that Ford "is considering selling Volvo". Which is it?
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

cptkrell

Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:21 am

WSJ sez "considering". Well, yeah. If the deal was a deal there would be considerable yakety-yak in the financials. Sort of like all the other financial rumors that are popping up about three times a day.

I'm thinking that there might be some credence in this, however. It makes sense. Regards...jack
all best; jack

WildcatYXU

Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:11 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Thread starter):
I think Saab should be sold off but Saturn should continue to be developed into the North Americanized version of GM's European Opel division.

Well, for now Saturn has only two models in it's lineup that have an european counterpart. So I think it would really take some time and money. GM has neither.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

stasisLAX

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:08 am

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 4):
The topic states that Ford is selling Volvo; yet the post indicates that Ford "is considering selling Volvo". Which is it?

Volvo is definitely up for sale - now all Ford Motor needs to do is find someone to buy it. The Volvo Group is NOT interested in buying the Volvo auto business back as they want to continue to focus on their trucks and commercial vehicles business. Ford brought Volvo Auto from them in 1998 for $6.5 billion USD. I think that Ford (under the "leadership" of former CEO Jacques Nasser whom is frequently blamed for Ford's poor financial situation) will consider taking considerably less than that amount to unload Volvo for desperately needed cash flow.

Source: http://www.autonews.com/article/20081201/ANE02/812010192/1200

[Edited 2008-12-01 19:31:23]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

asuflyer05

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:14 am

Thank God they dumped my beloved Aston Martin before the economy went to crap.

stasisLAX

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:27 am

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 8):
Thank God they dumped my beloved Aston Martin before the economy went to crap.

Aston Martin is suffering very badly right now too. They just announced that they may cut 600 jobs to save money, according to today's Automotive News.

Source: http://www.autonews.com/article/20081201/ANA02/312019884/1176

asuflyer05

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:40 am

Yeah. We're hearing they will move to a 3 day production week.

It seems as if Ford ramped up production as it was getting ready to cut the cord and run. So there are a ton of early 2007 and 2008 cars (mainly Vantage Roadsters) out there on the market. Thankfully 2009 allocation has dropped.

WunalaYann

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:30 am

And where the devil is Superfly?

Smile

Quoting B727 (Reply 1):

Maybe a merger or close ties between the two? Involvement of the Swedish government? Considering Scandinavians know a thing or two about sound economic policy and efficient government intervention, I would be quite pleased to see Swedish authorities brokering a deal, perhaps with a Japanese or European counterpart?

Indeed, Swedish car manufacturers, and Volvo in particular, have very appealing ranges of high-quality products. Fingers crossed.

PPVRA

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:36 am

Economy in the crapper, probably for a while, and tight credit markets. . .

Anyone want to buy a car company?

Not me! Unless I get a bailout.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Superfly

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:38 am

GM needs to kill the Hummer brand.
That is nothing but a money pit. A total redundant brand of stupid useless vehicles.
Not sure how much of a benefit would be of selling off Saab versus keeping them.
Bring back the Concorde

WunalaYann

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:42 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
Not sure how much of a benefit would be of selling off Saab versus keeping them.

Don't they make a bunch of fuel-guzzling, GHG emissions-fanning, overweight, oversized, overpowered boxes of steel?  Smile

Superfly

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:52 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 14):
Don't they make a bunch of fuel-guzzling, GHG emissions-fanning, overweight, oversized, overpowered boxes of steel?

Hmmm, Saab makes some fuel-guzzling, GHG emissions-fanning underpowered heaps of plastic.

Saab 9-3
280 hp @ 5000 rpm and only gets 15/24 mpg

Saab 9-7X Aero
390HP and only gets 12/16 mpg

That said, yes GM should dump this brand.  wave 

Honestly I could care less.
I never liked Saab, even during their classic era 1970s & 1980s), I found their styling awkward, loud, high-reving under-powered noise makers.

Volvo on teh other had great styling with their brick shaped diesel wagons.
Too bad those are long gone.  Sad
Bring back the Concorde

stasisLAX

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:04 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):
Hmmm, Saab makes some fuel-guzzling, GHG emissions-fanning underpowered heaps of plastic.

I think the biggest problem with Saab is that it only sells approximately 130,000 units worldwide. And only several thousand in Germany. That's because no one in Europe really respects and thus desires Saab cars. It lacks prestige.

Saab has had alot of warranty repair problems that affect its bottom line. And their line-up of cars is kinda boring - everything is based off an Opel/Vauxhall platform so its car have very little of Saab previously quirky and sporty personality. GM should really unload Saab and maybe a receptive new owner can bring back its old fun image - if the current global economic problems doesn't entirely kill off the Saab brand.

[Edited 2008-12-01 23:20:34]

[Edited 2008-12-01 23:21:06]

Superfly

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 16):
I think the biggest problem with Saab is that it only sells approximately 130,000 units worldwide. And only several thousand in Germany.

So id the USA their best selling market?
Bring back the Concorde

stasisLAX

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:25 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 17):
So id the USA their best selling market?

Fly, I believe that I read that Saab's sales in the U.S. and its home markets are approximately the same - 35,0000 to 40,000 units or so each. I can't find the exact breakdown for Saab sales by national market anywhere on the internets.

Doona

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:42 am

Quoting JoshSixtySeven (Reply 3):
The interior resembled something knocked up by a group of toddlers.

This just give me a disturbing mental image...  silly 

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 16):
That's because no one in Europe really respects and thus desires Saab cars. It lacks prestige.

Right on the money. And it's strange, I think the latest range of SAABs are pretty cool, and I've always loved the brand. Too anonymous, perhaps. And it's like they say on Top Gear, SAABs are for nice people. Architechts and the like.

But there is something about a SAAB, everyone I know who has one (regardless of year or model) absolutely loves it. And I mean love-it-so-much-they-would-make-love-to-it-if-the-exhaust-pipe-were-more-comfortable-love-it.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

ACDC8

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:37 am

I'll always have a special place for Swedish cars. My very first car was a 1977 Volvo 244DL. It had copper paint on top and black on the bottom, so it looked like a big Duracell battery on wheels ...  Silly

I think Ford did an OK job with Volvo in recent years, most models really appeal to me. I haven't driven one since my rock solid 244, so I can't comment on build and quality.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Kiwirob

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:53 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 7):
The Volvo Group is NOT interested in buying the Volvo auto business back as they want to continue to focus on their trucks and commercial vehicles business.

I disagree, from what I understand a lot of the senior management were upset when Volvo sold of the car division, it was not a popular decision. I wouldn't mind betting that if Volvo AB could purchase back Volvo Auto at a knock down price with no debt they would. The current range of Volvo cars are good, all are fairly new designs and replacements for the XC90 and S60 are due next year, I'd say Volvo Auto has a good future once free of bumbling Ford.

Alessandro

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:53 pm

40-series was made together with Mitshibshi, so it´s basically a bland car.
I think Ford made a good buy when they bought Volvo, I feel more sorry that Renault´s earlier offer was declined by the shareholders, it would been much better for Volvo.
Personally I think both brands are doomed, especially SAAB, GM has lost money throu out the ownership of the brand, even when they had a 50% stake and the Wallenberg group had the other half.
Perhaps a buyer for Volvo cars can make money building cars in Kaliningrad tax-free zone for
the Russian market otherwise I see no takers.
The current Swedish government don´t want to act at all.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

dxing

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:23 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
A total redundant brand of stupid useless vehicles.

I would disagree about the H1 which is the civilian version of the military vehicle. H2 and H3 are based on pickup truck frames so yeah, they can go.

The big three can try and remake themselves as much as they want but it won't really matter. Not after 30+ years of "every other country makes better cars and Detroit iron is junk" from our own press corp. The image is pretty much sealed. It's going to take more than reorganizing and the dropping or selling of brands to make the big 3 profitable. It's going to take an honest look by a sometimes dishonest press corp.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Superfly

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:27 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 23):
I would disagree about the H1.....

Which is no longer available.
Since the H1 is gone, there is really no reason for the Hummer brand to exist.
Chevrolet and GMC already fills that market.
Bring back the Concorde

dxing

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:31 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 24):
Which is no longer available.

That's true but they could bring it back and they should. I'd think about buying one.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

OlegShv

RE: Ford Motor Company Selling Volvo; GM Selling S

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:33 pm

Quoting Doona (Reply 19):
And it's like they say on Top Gear, SAABs are for nice people. Architechts and the like.

yes 

But there is something about a SAAB, everyone I know who has one (regardless of year or model) absolutely loves it. And I mean love-it-so-much-they-would-make-love-to-it-if-the-exhaust-pipe-were-more-comfortable-love-it.

checkmark 

Two months ago I bought a preowned 2006 9-3 2.0T - absolutely love this car. It's the right size, quiet (quieter than and Acura TSX that I test drove), firm, quick enough, nimble - it feels like you drive a small car with precise steering, although some complain that the steering is too light. It is also functional, and I love the dash with green backlighting. Finally, there aren't that many of them around. There are downsides in this car too: not so premium quality plastics for example. I could've bought a CamCord of the same year and same mileage for the same money, but chose the 9-3 instead. I guess my summary for this car would be: a comfortable daily driver with a twist.

I will be happy to see Saab part from GM. I'm not sure who would be willing to buy them at this point. I wish Porsche would ditch VW and buy Saab instead.

Superfly

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:34 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 25):
That's true but they could bring it back and they should. I'd think about buying one.

I am sure you can pick one up used for less than half of what they cost new with low miles.
I am sure there are plenty showing up at repo auto auctions.
Bring back the Concorde

Kiwirob

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:30 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 22):
40-series was made together with Mitshibshi, so it´s basically a bland car.

but not the current S40 V50 which utilises the Ford C1 platform.

stasisLAX

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:39 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 21):
Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 7):
The Volvo Group is NOT interested in buying the Volvo auto business back as they want to continue to focus on their trucks and commercial vehicles business.

I disagree, from what I understand a lot of the senior management were upset when Volvo sold of the car division, it was not a popular decision. I wouldn't mind betting that if Volvo AB could purchase back Volvo Auto at a knock down price with no debt they would.

The Volvo Group's chairman has already stated publicly that they won't buy Volvo Cars back.

"Sweden’s Volvo Group — which builds trucks, buses, construction equipment, and aerospace components — has no interest in acquiring Volvo Cars back from Ford.

“We absolutely do not want to buy Volvo Cars,” stressed chairman Finn Johnsson."

Source: http://www.leftlanenews.com/volvo-gr...ted-in-buying-back-volvo-cars.html

[Edited 2008-12-02 14:42:45]

dxing

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:15 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 27):
I am sure you can pick one up used for less than half of what they cost new with low miles.

Maybe in SF but not out here in Texas. H1's are still pretty pricey even on the used market. It can be a real work horse.

WunalaYann

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:53 pm

Right on the money. And it's strange, I think the latest range of SAABs are pretty cool, and I've always loved the brand. Too anonymous, perhaps. And it's like they say on Top Gear, SAABs are for nice people. Architechts and the like.

checkmark  Very good post. And very funny, too.  biggrin 

Quoting OlegShv (Reply 26):
It is also functional, and I love the dash with green backlighting. Finally, there aren't that many of them around.

And the seats, mate, the best seats in the industry!!!  thumbsup 

Type-Rated

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:57 pm

But the Hummer does serve a purpose, it props up the egos of people who drive them. It's the Look At Me! crowd.

After seeing all those Saab telly commercials, I get the impression that Saab is the car for people who are one step out of touch with reality and want tell their bosses to screw off.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Superfly

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:08 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 30):
Maybe in SF but not out here in Texas. H1's are still pretty pricey even on the used market. It can be a real work horse.

Go to Los Angeles.
Plenty of broke rap performers unloading them and lots of them ending up at repo car auctions.

Doen't International make an even bigger ego boaster than the H1?
Bring back the Concorde

Kent350787

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:27 am

Would SAAB survive without GM, unless it was with another car maker? The 9-5 is the only model built on a SAAB developed platform, and that platform is around 10 yrs old.

I reckon the answer to my first question is a big no, unfortunately - and I've almost bought SAABs a couple of times....

Kent

SAAB900

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:30 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):
Honestly I could care less.
I never liked Saab, even during their classic era 1970s & 1980s), I found their styling awkward, loud, high-reving under-powered noise makers.

I suppose your entitled to your opinion, but to be honest most Americans couldn't produce a decent car to save their lives!..Go on burn me Im waiting!  flamed  Since GM owned Saab the brand itself & the quality have gone down the toilet, mainly because GM either didn't know what to do with the brand or didn't have the balls to do something unique with the brand! Saabs have always been unique, something diifferent from the mainstream models of the other manufacturers. They need somebody who understands this, which GM sure as hell dont!  mad  They also need more new models to expand the range like the smaller 9-1 & a decent off-roader like the 9-4X. The previous off-roader the 9-7/9-7X was everything wrong about Saab since GM bought them, basically one of GM's American type off-roaders with the Saab nose grafted onto it & Saab badges added! GM could have done wonders with the Saab brand but didn't have the balls! I think new European owners who understand the company & who understand Saab drivers would help!
Yes I am a Saab owner before anybody ask's, I'm now onto my 9th Saab a very nice 1992 900i Convertible!  Smile  bigthumbsup  ......The last of the proper Saabs!

Dave(SAAB900)

stasisLAX

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:45 am

Quoting SAAB900 (Reply 35):
I'm now onto my 9th Saab a very nice 1992 900i Convertible

And that's about where Saab's popularity in the marketplace ended. When I was in college in the 1980's, I used to see Saabs around campus all the time. They were mostly driven by Yuppies and college professors. These cars were seen as funky and cool.

One of my best friends owned two Saabs Turbos during the 80's, but in the mid-90's, he moved onto E-class Mercedes models because he had a crapload of mechanical issues with the Saabs.

[Edited 2008-12-02 17:07:19]

Superfly

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:58 am

Go on burn me Im waiting!

Seeing that your user name is Saab900, it's obvious you love the brand and the cars they put out.
You are entitled to your opinion just as I am.
I am glad that there some people out there that like these cars.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

SAAB900

Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 37):
Seeing that your user name is Saab900, it's obvious you love the brand and the cars they put out.
You are entitled to your opinion just as I am.

Yes I do love the brand. There are a lot of people out there that do, I think you'll agree that Saab owners are some of the most loyal owners that there is to a brand! The thing thats really annoying is that GM just doesn't have a clue about the Saab brand & what to do with it! But what I will agree with is that without the investment from GM Saab would probably have dissapeared ages ago, so it's a double edged sword! Ford have done wonders with Volvo, new models bigger range of cars etc, why the hell couldn't GM have had the balls to do that with Saab?  Angry  hissyfit 

Dave(SAAB900)

Boeing74741R

Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:05 pm

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 32):
But the Hummer does serve a purpose, it props up the egos of people who drive them. It's the Look At Me! crowd.

And which forward-thinking company would want such a brand in their company portfolio?

Quoting Kent350787 (Reply 34):
The 9-5 is the only model built on a SAAB developed platform, and that platform is around 10 yrs old.

Even though the model is ageing, it is a very good car. My dad had a 2004 Saab 9-5 Estate 2.2TDi until earlier this year and the power was fantastic, even for an automatic! It's a shame that here in the UK only three products are available (9-3, 9-3 Convertible, and 9-5) and it would make a nice change to see more Saab's on the road than BMW's and Audi's.

I was under the impression that the 9-5 was up for replacement soon, is that still happening?

Have to agree though with Saab's not being Saab through and through. The 9-3 is basically a Vauxhall Vectra underneath with a different body, engine, interior and performance. Then again, the Jaguar X-Type has a few characteristics of the old Ford Mondeo.

OlegShv

Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:50 pm

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 39):
I was under the impression that the 9-5 was up for replacement soon, is that still happening?

The new generation 9-5 was supposed to be presented next year. The new generation 9-3 was expected in 2010-11, i believe. Who knows what will happen given the current situation. The fact that Saab has at least one new model ready for production should probably help the sale.

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 39):
Have to agree though with Saab's not being Saab through and through. The 9-3 is basically a Vauxhall Vectra underneath with a different body, engine, interior and performance. Then again, the Jaguar X-Type has a few characteristics of the old Ford Mondeo.

Platform sharing is very common these days. Audi A4=VW Passat = Seat **** = Skoda Octavia, or Mazda3=Ford Focus=Volvo S40, for example.

Type-Rated

Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:23 pm

Now I wouldn't mind owning an old Saab 96 just for the strangeness of it all, 2 stoke engine, aerodynamic styling, etc. These are from an era when a Saab was still a Saab.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Alessandro

Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:58 pm

I suppose your entitled to your opinion, but to be honest most Americans couldn't produce a decent car to save their lives!..Go on burn me Im waiting! Since GM owned Saab the brand itself & the quality have gone down the toilet, mainly because GM either didn't know what to do with the brand or didn't have the balls to do something unique with the brand! Saabs have always been unique, something diifferent from the mainstream models of the other manufacturers. They need somebody who understands this, which GM sure as hell dont! They also need more new models to expand the range like the smaller 9-1 & a decent off-roader like the 9-4X. The previous off-roader the 9-7/9-7X was everything wrong about Saab since GM bought them, basically one of GM's American type off-roaders with the Saab nose grafted onto it & Saab badges added! GM could have done wonders with the Saab brand but didn't have the balls! I think new European owners who understand the company & who understand Saab drivers would help!
Yes I am a Saab owner before anybody ask's, I'm now onto my 9th Saab a very nice 1992 900i Convertible! ......The last of the proper Saabs!

Dave(SAAB900)

The 9000 was a very good car, designed together with Lancia, another small european brand. I think it would make sense if Lancia (owned by FIAT nowadays) and SAAB made forces yet again, that´s the
best that could happened, but I doubt it will.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Superfly

Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:38 am

Quoting SAAB900 (Reply 38):
Yes I do love the brand. There are a lot of people out there that do, I think you'll agree that Saab owners are some of the most loyal owners that there is to a brand!

That is why I was very delicate in responding to you.  Smile
I knew a guy who's nickname was the same as your user name, SAAB900.
He loved his Saab900. It was his baby and his previous car was also a Saab.
That's cool. At least your love for Saab isn't motivated by the more superficial reasons people buy BMW and Mercedes. I know many Saab people are very loyal. Plus Saab has a rich aviation heritage so I won't beat up on Saab too much.  Wink
Bring back the Concorde

asuflyer05

Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:10 am

When I was selling Hondas, I had a guy trade in a 9-6 on an Accord LX. I took him for a drive in the car and he couldn't get over how much tighter the Accord felt over the Saab. He came into our store because his Saab was in the shop so much that Enterprise ended up giving him the same Accord rental car over and over. So he said he might as well just buy one. I hear that a lot. The initial survey is great but after a year or so, eh, not so much. It's a shame because they're good looking cars.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 24):
Since the H1 is gone, there is really no reason for the Hummer brand to exist.

I've read a few articles about the H3 and how well it performs off-road. It's a pretty cool looking truck, different than all the other soccer mom SUVs out there. It just seems so Chevy once you sit inside of them. I bet if they had a luxury model akin to a Range Rover, then a mid size H3 and an off road capable SUV with a drop top to compete with the Wrangler they'd do okay.

I suppose your entitled to your opinion, but to be honest most Americans couldn't produce a decent car to save their lives!

Coming from someone from Britain who provides us with reliable products such as Jags, Land Rovers and Astons.

Superfly

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:08 am

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 44):
I've read a few articles about the H3 and how well it performs off-road. ........ It just seems so Chevy once you sit inside of them.

That's because it IS a Chevy Trailblazer and GMC Envoy.
No need for a 3rd. version of this.

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 44):
I bet if they had a luxury model akin to a Range Rover, then a mid size H3 and an off road capable SUV with a drop top to compete with the Wrangler they'd do okay.

Wont happen.
Put in a luxury interior, owners wont take it off road.
Mine as well buy a Buick Enclave or Cadillac SRX for those that like to sit high and pretend to be in an SUV.

Perhaps a drop-top variant of the existing Chevy and GMC could be a good idea.
Bring back the Concorde

dazbo5

Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:54 am

Quoting B727 (Reply 1):
I hope that the sale of Saab will help Saab. It seems as if the Saab quality has gone down hill since GM took over.

Totally agree with you. I have a 2007 Saab 9-3 Vector Sport that I got new 18 months ago and there's loads of rattles, shakes and squeeks that have developed since I got it. It's a nice car, but built quality is way below par for a car in it's price bracket. Built quality is certainly lower than what it used to be.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

Francoflier

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:16 am

The most attractive part of a Saab has always been that very few of them are around, it's kind of the underdog of the luxury/performance sedans. They were cool cars, and in that light selling it to a company like GM which was bound to bastardize it was about the worst thing that could happen to it.

I still tend to look at a passing Saab, if only because they're a nice change from the uberboring 3 series and C class.

These days, it will be tough for Saab to find a serious buyer with enough cash to ride out the storm and restore it to its former self.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

baroque

Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:30 am

Quoting WunalaYann (Reply 11):
Quoting B727 (Reply 1):

Maybe a merger or close ties between the two? Involvement of the Swedish government? Considering Scandinavians know a thing or two about sound economic policy and efficient government intervention, I would be quite pleased to see Swedish authorities brokering a deal, perhaps with a Japanese or European counterpart?

If the Swedes play their cards right, it could be another Alan Bond - Kerry Packer moment. Packer sold Bond a TV station for a zillion or three, and then bought it back again for a pittance. It would be nice to see both Volvo and Saab back with some degree of the independence that brought them their reputation in the first place.

vc10

Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:17 pm

Back in the 1990s I owned a SAAB 9000 and was quite pleased with it from all aspects well perhaps not fuel economy but I knew that was going to be poor when I bought the car. Any car can develope faults , and what turns people against or for the make is how the company's agents handle it, and my experience of two SAAB main dealers is extremely poor, so turning me sadly away from buying another SAAB. Other than that though I enjoyed my SAAB.

Unfortunately for a small car company being bought by a large one often brings negative affects and I think with SAAB once they were owned by GM here in the UK they are often referred to as expensive Vauxhalls and so the brand has lost some of it's uniqueness which many people were looking for in a world of big manufacturer sameness.

littlevc10