Lufthansa411
Topic Author

Thai High Court Bans Ruling Party

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:06 am

"Thailand's constitutional court has dissolved the governing People Power Party (PPP) saying there had been vote fraud during the last election."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7759960.stm

Well, I guess it was the next logical step as Thailand becomes a bit more unstable.

What do you think is next? Will the remaining politicians form a new party, or will there be (more) chaos in Thailand. At least there seems to be relatively little violence.
Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.

Beaucaire

RE: Thai High Court Bans Ruling Party

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:26 am

In Thailand only 30% of all representatives in the paliament are freely elected-the remaining 70% are appointed.Which obviously leaves plenty of room for corruption and political honky-tonk.The country should finally adept a modern,truely democratic system .Monarchy and paliamant go well together in many democracies-so why not in Thailand ?
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

seb146

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:10 pm

Not being a world traveler, I have to ask something:

There was a story on the news over the weekend about a woman and her daughter, both US Citizens, but immigrated from Thailand, are there now. The family live here in the Portland area, but the husband and son stayed behind and are now waiting to see if they are alright. The TV made it sound like since the two major airports are closed (according to the TV), there is literally no way out of Thailand. But, couldn't someone take a bus or train to a neighboring country and then get a flight out or at least get to an American consulate or embassy in a neighboring country?
Life in the wall is a drag.

victrola

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:50 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 2):
But, couldn't someone take a bus or train to a neighboring country and then get a flight out or at least get to an American consulate or embassy in a neighboring country?

Sure, lots of people are doing this. However, the nearest border is Myanmar, which is not a very good option, It's quite a trek over to the Cambodian border, and the Malaysian border is also a long trip. Furthermore, since the closure of the airports I am sure that any forms of land transportation have been swamped.

Aaron747

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:47 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 1):
Monarchy and paliamant go well together in many democracies-so why not in Thailand ?

The most stable government Thailand ever had was a seven-party coalition, but that only lasted five years.

All this ruling does is further delegitimize anything that Thaksin touched. I'm not sure it will put an end to the instability as his supporters and cronies will see it only as a political ruling and either appeal or go directly to another fraudulent election with all manner of vote-buying in the rural parts of the country. They must change the election system or this nonsense will continue unabated.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

victrola

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:08 am

What is the background on this situation? It seems as if Thailand has a freely elected government. However the opposition thinks it has a right to depose that government. I have heard it said that the opposition doesn't like the idea of ignorant farmers having the vote. Could someone out there give us a better explanation of the grievances of each side? I have yet to see a good explanation of the situation.

Aaron747

Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:28 am

Quoting Victrola (Reply 5):
It seems as if Thailand has a freely elected government. However the opposition thinks it has a right to depose that government. I have heard it said that the opposition doesn't like the idea of ignorant farmers having the vote. Could someone out there give us a better explanation of the grievances of each side? I have yet to see a good explanation of the situation.

Both the PPP party of deposed PM Somchai and Thai Rak Thai party of criminal ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra were found guilty of election fraud, including a landmark 2006 court decision on the illegality of the TRT party itself following the military junta that kicked Thaksin out of the PM seat.

The grievances of the opposition are rather simple: the parties that have been in power since 2001 represent not "ignorant farmers" but out and out exploitation of the Thai political process. When Thaksin won his huge landslide in 2001, he was elected on promises of debt forgiveness for farmers and a 1 billion baht handout to rural provinces, none of which actually happened. His rule could best be described as authoritarian and self-serving, as he immediately imposed controls on the media and telecommunications industries, the latter of which was intended to benefit his family's immense telecom business, which was sold for billions to Temasek of Singapore just three years later. Primarily for those reasons, the military supported the opposition's calls for his ouster and the King backed the imposition of martial law as well.

The PPP party has been, until this week's ruling, essentially the TRT by another name, with many of Thaksin's cronies and friends at the helm, culminating in his criminal wife's brother Somchai being elected as PM, this time with rampant vote-buying to capture the rural majorities once again. This time, middle class Thais and Bangkok residents would have nothing of it, hence the creation of the PAD alliance early this year.

The grievance of the late PM and his party is simply that they were freely elected and the opposition doesn't represent true democracy. I don't know where they got the idea that election fraud constitutes a free and fair election, but that's the line they've been using all year with denial after denial.

Unfortunately the Thai supreme court lacks the authority to do anything other than rule this or that party's activities as being illegal. It will take parliamentary reform to change the election system to create more safeguards against voter fraud (as well as criminalization of it and related activities), and without a strong ruling coalition, it will be difficult to achieve such legislation.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty