lincoln

How Much Do You Tip Hotel Housekeepers?

Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:34 pm

I've been tipping $5/night for the past few years (At Hampton on the low end through Hilton Garden Inn / Homewood / Embassy Suites / Doubletree to Hilton on the upper end), but I recently stumbled across a guide that reccomends $2/night.

Just curious what the true "norm" is -- growing up on the rare occassion that we stayed at a hotel I don't remember my parents ever mentioning tipping (but I don't know if they did or didn't)

Kincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

SOBHI51

RE: How Much Do You Tip Hotel Housekeepers?

Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:50 pm

I usually leave on the table at my departure around $5.00 per day and a maximum of $20.00 per stay.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

comorin

Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:13 pm

It takes about 20 mins to clean a room - and unlike waiters, housekeeping gets min wage and benefits. So I'd say about $2/day makes sense unless you're staying at a five-star property.

I wonder what the guidelines in the UK would be for both housekeeping and valet tips? I leave about 5 GBP per 2-night stay, 2 GBP for the guy who brings up my luggage, and 1 GBP for the doorman per cab hail. They have really great concierges in London hotels so I'll tip them too. Again, tipping cultures vary across the world.

luv2fly

Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:54 pm

I usually leave $2.00 to $3.00 per night and do it daily. That way who ever cleans the room that day gets it. If I have been especially messy or the maid goes out of her way then it can and does go up.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Kiwirob

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:01 pm

Why on earth would you tip a hotel room cleaner, they are doing a job which they are paid to do, adding a tip is crazy.

ImperialEagle

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:02 pm

IMO $5.00 a day is a VERY acceptable amount. Usually after the first night the housekeeper "gets it" and will go out of their way to keep the room and bathroom VERY clean. On a few occasions they took it for granted and I stopped tipping. They have to perform or no tip. I am a tidy person by nature so I know I don't cause them any grief.
In any event, no matter how much time they spend in the room, the job of Housekeeping is a back-breaking job that most people could not do for long, considering how many people are human pigs----especially 20 rooms a day or so----AND at minimum wages. So I try to show some respect for the job they do. I also make sure to fill out the comment cards with their names on them if they are really superior, as that affects their pay scale at time of review. I make sure to give it to them so they can make a copy of it before mailing it in, just in case, at the time of review, Human Resources claims they "have no knowlege of it".
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

WildcatYXU

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:26 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 5):
Why on earth would you tip a hotel room cleaner, they are doing a job which they are paid to do, adding a tip is crazy.

checkmark 

I live here for almost 8 and I still don't get it. Wherever you go, everyone expects a tip - waiters, valets, room cleaners, cab drivers, etc...Shouldn't the business owner pay them? If not, why only there? Why nobody ever told me (when I was doing my old job where I was visiting the customers directly) " Jeez dude, you've fixed my laser nicely (or microscope, phoroptor, lensmeter, refractometer, tonometer, Eyecap, you name it) here's a twenty"
and yet I'm expected to tip everyone around?

O the side note, my former colleague, born and raised in Canada once tried to tip the hotel room cleaner in Wedel, Germany. He left a 5 euro note on the blanket several times. He always found it at the pillow whe he came back from work.

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 6):
IMO $5.00 a day is a VERY acceptable amount.

Per night? Waaaay too much.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

DocLightning

Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:41 pm

I'm usually a good tipper. It has never even occurred to me to tip the hotel housekeeper.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Tugger

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:41 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 7):
I live here for almost 8 and I still don't get it. Wherever you go, everyone expects a tip - waiters, valets, room cleaners, cab drivers, etc...Shouldn't the business owner pay them? If not, why only there? Why nobody ever told me (when I was doing my old job where I was visiting the customers directly) " Jeez dude, you've fixed my laser nicely (or microscope, phoroptor, lensmeter, refractometer, tonometer, Eyecap, you name it) here's a twenty" and yet I'm expected to tip everyone around?

The main reason why someone tips is for service. That is why the general public tips waiters and valets, etc., they do something for you. The idea is that while they are getting paid to do a job basic job (park your car, get your order and bring the food) you tip them for their good service and attentive actions towards you, they do something"extra" beyond the job. It is a demonstration that the service they provide is superior and appreciated and some people do honestly work extra hard for it.

I must admit that I don't understand why we should tip for just absolute base service with nothing special (you don't tip a fast food employee), give me something to tip for first.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

plateman

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:43 pm

For one night, I tend not to leave anything, unless they go above and beyond.

I just returned from the Ritz-Carlton in Puerto Rico with two rooms for three nights. Left the housekeeper $20 for each room.

Brian
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

NIKV69

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:10 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 9):
It has never even occurred to me to tip the hotel housekeeper.

Then you have a little to learn about tokes then.

2 to 5 a night is fine.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

WildcatYXU

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 10):

Ok, I understand the general principle and I do tip. I even used to tip for extra service while living in Europe. However, it went far beyond this point around here, basically you pay someone's employees directly. The list prices then look much lower than the service you buy will cost you. I don't really like this system.

[Edited 2008-12-02 10:01:26]
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

smcmac32msn

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:51 pm

I tip waiter (waitress) from 17-20%. I'll tip bell-boys at some of the bigger places (Millenium - St. Louis, William Penn Omni, i.e.) I've stayed, but a lot of the places don't have them, they just have the carts. I don't tip housekeepers because they are paid above minimum wage and I don't have direct contact with them.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

TSS

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:25 pm

I tip housekeepers $2 per day, but then I don't make a mess in hotel rooms. All they have to do in my room is make up the bed, empty the trash cans, and put out a clean towel or two.

I did once slip a housekeeper a $10 tip to let me take photos out the window of a room she was cleaning that was on the other, "better view" side of the building from mine (yes, the previous occupants had already checked out). That room was trashed, with bottles, cans, fast-food refuse, and God-only-knows what else on every surface... plus the heady aroma of marijuana still thick in the air. The previous occupants of that room should be horse-whipped if they left her less than a $20 tip.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

rfields5421

Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:54 pm

I usually leave $5 to $20 in the US depending upon the number of nights - provide the room was cleaned properly and I did not find anything missing, broken.

I also always leave it with a note of thanks - so there is not mistake of my intent.

Because I know some people who will leave $5 or so out on a bed or table and then complain if it is missing when they come back after a day's work.

[Edited 2008-12-02 12:55:41]

fr8mech

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:00 pm

When alone or with the wife, I tip 2-3/night. With the kids 5 a night.

You tip because they are providing a personal service to you. They aren't handing you a prepared burger from behind a counter.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

mbmbos

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:13 pm

$5 dollars a day, $25 maximum.

RussianJet

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:16 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 3):
I wonder what the guidelines in the UK would be for both housekeeping and valet tips?

The guidelines in the UK are that it's their job, and you don't have to pay them extra for being paid to do their job.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

runway23

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:30 pm

I don't leave a tip anywhere unless people do a truly fantastic job which goes beyond my expectations.

If I were giving tips to everyone, I'd soon end up spending more than 1000 bucks every year...

mwhcvt

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:40 pm

I've often found that the general rule of 10/20% of the bill works when calculating a tip. I however will only tip if the service or experience has been a good one. Personally I have known a few people that work within the leasure industry, (hotels and bars) and all of them say that they like it when they recieve tips not specifically for the money, but because it shows that they are providing a great service. But most of them would agree with me in that house keeping is a service that dosn't require a tip, unless the housekeeper makes and extra effort to make your stay that bit special, such as turn down service, or extra pillows if you ask etc.

I used to work within the cleaning industry operating my own pressure washing company and never expected to recieve tips from customers, however on one particular occasion I mis-calculated on a job and had to buy in extra matirials than budgeted for, (my person thoughts on the matter were damn, blast and order non-mentionable words) but thats life take the hit, anyway recieved payment from the customer who by the way was extreamly happy with the job and I gained about 2.5k in referal works from, sent be a cheque for and extra £50 that more that covered the additional chemicals which was nice.
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

Kiwirob

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:52 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 10):
they do something for you.

Which they are compensated for by their employer, so why should you give them something extra for what they are already being paid to do, madness if you ask me.

BAViscount

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:33 pm

Generally, I don't tip at all. Like others have said, I never leave my room in a mess anyway, so all they have to do is take away the rubbish and leave me a couple of clean towels...assuming I've been a good boy and left the old ones in the bath in the first place! Hell, I usually make the bed at least look made...I'd rather they just left it alone to be honest so that I didn't have to untuck all the sheets just to be able to get in to the damn thing at night. Just leave it alone, please!!

If I'm staying in a hotel in the first place, it's usually so that I have a place to sleep between my days of being out and about sightseeing. I very rarely choose a hotel for its facilities as I very rarely use them anyway. I think I already pay enough for having somewhere to lay my weary head for eight hours - I'm not going to pay extra to have someone empty the bin, spend two minutes running the hoover round, wave a wet cloth around the sink and bath and fold the toilet paper into a point.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

Tugger

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:53 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 13):
Ok, I understand the general principle and I do tip. I even used to tip for extra service while living in Europe. However, it went far beyond this point around here, basically you pay someone's employees directly. The list prices then look much lower than the service you buy will cost you. I don't really like this system.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 22):
Which they are compensated for by their employer, so why should you give them something extra for what they are already being paid to do, madness if you ask me.

Yes, I do think that people should be PAID enough to do a good job and if they don't serve the customer well then the management should bear the burden of dealing with the problem.

I also agree that in the USA tipping has gotten out for control. In New York they are now "recommending" tipping waiters not less than 18% and more often between 20-25%! Hell, for some reason we feel the need to tip Starbucks "barista's" even though by all measures they work for an excellent company that pays well and provides good benefit's for hte job at hand.

I found an interesting article on tipping in the NYTimes, though its focus is on dining it does get into why we tip: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/magazine/12tipping-t.html

Quote:
Tipping, its defenders say, improves service by rewarding good waiters and punishing bad ones. But .... good service was not always rewarded with a big tip, nor bad service with a poor one.

Tipping began as an aristocratic practice, a sprinkle of change for social inferiors, and it quickly spread among the upper classes of Europe.

The single most important factor in determining the amount of a tip is the size of the bill. Diners generally tip the same percentage no matter the quality of the service and no matter the setting. They do so .... largely because it’s expected and diners fear social disapproval. “It is embarrassing to have another person wait on you,” the psychologist Ernest Dichter told a magazine reporter in 1960. “The need to pay, psychologically, for the guilt involved in the unequal relationship is so strong that very few are able to ignore it.” Ego needs also play a part, especially when it comes to overtipping, according to the Israeli social psychologist Boas Shamir.

The whole thing is a pretty interesting read.

For the record, I have never found the need to tip for my stay at a hotel but I have done so occasionally, usually for outstanding service or very small B&B type places.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

srbmod

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:03 am

The amount to tip housekeeping at a hotel depends on what article or book you're reading. There was an article in the Las Vegas Review-Journal last April where they talked to several different "experts" with tips on tipping. One "expert" said $5 per night, another said $2 per night, another said $1-10 a night (depending on how messy the room is), yet another said $10 a night, and the last "expert" said $3-5 a night (depending on how messy the room is). Myself, if I remember to do so at the end of the stay (sometimes I'm so focused on departure that I forget), the tip I leave comes out to $5/night.

I actually found out that it is recommended to tip the valet when you pull in and when you pick the car up. It kind of makes sense, as the valet that was there when you dropped it off may not be the same one that's there when you go to pick up the car.

At times, it seems as though before you leave on a trip, you need to get about $10-20 in singles just for tips from the time you get to the airport until you've unpacked your bag.

Tugger

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:14 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 23):
I actually found out that it is recommended to tip the valet when you pull in and when you pick the car up. It kind of makes sense, as the valet that was there when you dropped it off may not be the same one that's there when you go to pick up the car.

Great point! I forgot about that. It is probably the most important reason to tip: Attention!

One place I do tip and tip well early on is at a bar/nightclub. If there are dozens or hundreds of people around you and you want service, if you tip well early, you will be served quickly the next time. If you don't you probably won't.

If you are a regular somewhere and tip well, you will be come "known" and people will very much want to serve you. I wonder if tipping really came about this way, by regulars who wanted better service. And the inverse is true too, if you are know as a bad tipper then the staff will ignore you and be reluctant to "be stuck with you".

In a situation where you are anonymous, which is often the case nowadays, this is not a reason to tip.

Tugg

lincoln

Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:13 pm

Some interesting responses, thanks... certainly something to think about.

As others have noted, I tend to keep the room clean and don't use a ton of the resources...one towel, one washcloth, one bar of soap and vile of shampoo... I also try to confine all of my garbage to one of the trash cans.

But on the flipside, it is (usually) a minimum-wage paying position, and I assume that many of them are supporting families. Plus they're remaking my bed every day... I don't even do that at home!  Smile

Quoting Tugger (Reply 24):
In a situation where you are anonymous, which is often the case nowadays, this is not a reason to tip.

If you tip well enough in the right places, even when you're "anonymous" you become known. Ther's one nightclub in downtown Cleveland that I visit on average once a year ('cuz I don't drink often)...but every time I'm in there the bartender remembers me, and remembers both of my drinks. I'm still impressed by that little feat, so my tipping gets a little more generous each time (my baseline tip is $3 cash per drink--as every drink (including "freebies") is served, even when the tab is on plastic).

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 5):
On a few occasions they took it for granted and I stopped tipping. They have to perform or no tip.

There are times where I've tapered off (or just stopped) tipping. I always tip the first night, and virtually always tip the 2nd night 3rd night on (most of my stays are 2 nighters), and after that... All bets are off.

There's a Hilton in Toledo where every night I stayed there, I got back to the room where the temperature was actually comfortable, classical music on the radio, a plate of (really, really) good cookies and two free bottles of water. Even though I susped the property does it for all of their HHonors VIPs, I upped my tipping  Smile
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

sky0000547

Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:18 pm

The only people I generally tip is restaurant wait staff and that is only because it is something accustom to throughout the world. Most of the time they are just doing their job by serving me my food and drink. I will not tip a housekeeper but if they did something special on my request then the tip is justifiable.

The excuse that they should be tipped because they earn a low wage doesn't wash with me. Their low wage is their employers problem and not the punters. Why should we supplement their wage because they are lowly paid by their employers. We all get paid to do our jobs so be it some more or less than others. Giving a tip must be justified and not a standard practise to anybody just doing their job.

NIKV69

Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:36 pm

Quoting Sky0000547 (Reply 26):
The excuse that they should be tipped because they earn a low wage doesn't wash with me. Their low wage is their employers problem and not the punters. Why should we supplement their wage because they are lowly paid by their employers. We all get paid to do our jobs so be it some more or less than others. Giving a tip must be justified and not a standard practise to anybody just doing their job.

This has nothing to do with it, in my country it is customary to tip housekeepers, valet, bartenders, waiters etc. If you want to be cheap by all means it is your right and I respect it but don't try to justify with the above paragraph. Not sure how it works in the UK but it has absolutely nothing to do with their employers and low wages. The fact of the matter is the low wage exists because they live on their tips and because the vast majority of their patrons don't share your view on tipping.

cptkrell

Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:01 pm

I usually tip $5/night, taped to the bathroom mirror each day with a "thank you". It seems to help if I need extra coffee or other stuff, they always oblige quickly. regards...jack
all best; jack

sky0000547

Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 27):
This has nothing to do with it, in my country it is customary to tip housekeepers, valet, bartenders, waiters etc. If you want to be cheap by all means it is your right and I respect it but don't try to justify with the above paragraph. Not sure how it works in the UK but it has absolutely nothing to do with their employers and low wages. The fact of the matter is the low wage exists because they live on their tips and because the vast majority of their patrons don't share your view on tipping.

It has nothing to do with being cheap and again your explanation of their low wages exist because they live on their tips doesn't wash with me. It is their employers paying them lowly and because it is customary the patrons have to top up their wages whilst their employers pocketing all the profits. It is fine by me if you want to supplement the wages of all waiters, housekeepers, valeters, bartenders you come across in your life even though they are doing what they should be doing in the first place. Extraordinary services above what is required to the job description deserved to be tipped. If I trashed a hotel room I will definitely tip the housekeeper.

iairallie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:44 pm

I tip at least 20% in restaurants but I generally do not tip the housekeeper.

I'll leave a tip during the holidays and I tip a buck or two if I request anything extra like more towels etc.

I don't like cleaners in my room when I am not there so I leave the do not disturb sign up so they don't have to clean my room until I leave.

If I tipped every night I stay in a hotel I'd be broke. I spend at least a third of my life in a hotel room. My company pays for my room and requires me to be there if my employer wants to start compensating me for tipping housekeepers I'd be happy to oblige.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

David L

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:39 pm

I generally leave about $10 at reception "for the staff" when I check out. However, there have been times where the service was so intrusive that I left nothing... e.g. The Pierre in NYC. I got home one afternoon after a looong day and put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door so I could have a snooze. Just as I was dozing off, there was a knock at the door from someone who wanted to "turn down my bed". What part of "Do Not Disturb" didn't they understand? Having dismissed her, I was just dozing off again when the phone rang. It was her boss asking me to confirm that I didn't want the "turn-down" service. I had to try really, really hard not to swear at her. Then, at breakfast, there were three waiters hovering around asking if there was anything I wanted every couple of minutes. "Yes, a moment to actually eat my breakfast" was the reply.

A few years later, I stayed at a much nicer hotel - the Drake, in Chicago, featured in many a TV show and film. Everyone got a better tip because they were there when I wanted them but weren't in my face at every inopportune moment.

The moral of the story: if you want a tip from me, don't be stupid about going above and beyond the call of duty.  grumpy 

PS I usually stay at far less exclusive hotels.  Smile

NIKV69

Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:00 pm

Quoting Sky0000547 (Reply 29):
It has nothing to do with being cheap and again your explanation of their low wages exist because they live on their tips doesn't wash with me

Hate to break it to you but it is how it is here. You can try to justify your lack of leaving a tip all you want but here when you are in a restuarant and you get good service your leaving 20%. If not more. Again not to tip is your right but don't villify the employers as some robber barons to justify it.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 30):
I don't like cleaners in my room when I am not there so I leave the do not disturb sign up so they don't have to clean my room until I leave

What if you stay a week? Your using the same towels and sheets?  ill 

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 30):
If I tipped every night I stay in a hotel I'd be broke

2 bucks a night is going to break you? That is half a cup of starbucks.

David L

Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:12 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 32):
What if you stay a week? Your using the same towels and sheets?

Do you change your sheets and towels every day at home?

NIKV69

Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:34 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 33):

Your trying to compare your house to a hotel? Again custom dicates that in a hotel your to have fresh towels every day and your bed made. Then again if its a coupld of bucks you want to save then maybe your bedroom is better.

iairallie

Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:52 pm

What if you stay a week? Your using the same towels and sheets?

Generally my stays are one to 3 nights tops.

2 bucks a night is going to break you? That is half a cup of starbucks.

I don't drink Starbucks (wast of money on an unhealthy habit) and I don't believe in tipping for services I am not using. It wouldn't break me but it would put a healthy dent in my wallet. I spend a lot of time in hotels and often stay in more than one hotel on any given day.

I'd be curious to see how many crew members tip cleaning staff.

They get at least minimum wage and benefits. TIps are for people who don't get minimum wage or benefits or who go beyond the normal call of service.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Tugger

Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:18 pm

leaving 20%. If not more.

This is where I think things are getting out of hand. 20% of the bill is already a lot. you are essentially employing the server completely on your own at that point. I mean on a normal $80 meal out for a family of 4 you are giving the person $16, why should you give more? Seriously, the article I posted talked about a server earning on average between $25 and $35 an hour when tips are included, they earn more than many starting pilots do! Is the service really worth that? Heck, restaurants should have a good gig in this, they get to pay less across the board (direct pay, taxes, insurance) while the public pays the rest (both on the "pay" side and on the "social burden" side). Seriously, why shouldn't restaurants pay appropriately to the job expected (ignoring the "because they can" option)?

Restaurants should post signs saying that you are employing the servers directly.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 34):
Quoting David L (Reply 33):

Your trying to compare your house to a hotel? Again custom dicates that in a hotel your to have fresh towels every day and your bed made. Then again if its a coupld of bucks you want to save then maybe your bedroom is better.

Actually many hotel chains are "going green" and not giving new towels or changing the sheets every day. They say it is to save resources but it is of course because it saves them money. And as I think of it, if airlines are now charging for bags how long will it be until hotels charge to "change linens everyday". Maybe not long.

There just isn't a need to tip for "room care", unless you constantly stay at the hotel and are afraid that the staff will resent you. Tipping is about either fear or an emotional need to "reward" an under paid person (or an egocentric need that you are "more important" than the person providing the service. As I quoted earlier: "Tipping began as an aristocratic practice, a sprinkle of change for social inferiors... "). You are afraid they will damage you (your car or spit in your food, etc.) or feel sorry for them.

Is it nice? Sure, everybody likes extra money. I want a year-end bonus just because I work hard at my job, but many companies are dropping bonuses because they have better uses for the money and beside they are already paying the employees to do their job.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 35):
I'd be curious to see how many crew members tip cleaning staff.

Damn good question! Crew overnights for free, the airline pays an already negotiated fee for the room so the F/A's and pilots don't pay. But you return to the same place often. Do you tip?

Tugg

[Edited 2008-12-03 13:25:31]

David L

Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:55 pm

Your trying to compare your house to a hotel?

Where? I'm comparing towels to towels and sheets to sheets.

custom dicates that in a hotel your to have fresh towels every day and your bed made

The "custom" hasn't been that simple for quite a while. As Tugger says, for many years, many hotels (all the ones I've stayed in) have encouraged guests to hang towels up if they don't want them changed every day and that's what I've been doing for many years. If you want a fresh towel every day then, by all means, do so. Just don't be surprised that not everyone does. I only want a fresh towel and sheets when I check in.

Then again if its a coupld of bucks you want to save then maybe your bedroom is better.

Ditto if you're worried about your "fresh" towel being too dirty to use more than once. It's a couple of bucks for something that's unnecessary. You'd love the Pierre.  Smile

asuflyer05

Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:38 am

I don't tip the housekeeper because I usually put the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door the first time I walk into the room and don't take it off until I leave.

steeler83

Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:06 am

Heheh...

Funny I should see this thread on here. I actually work as a housekeeper!!  Smile  Smile

Given that I work as one for the time being given the condition of the economy, I usually leave $3-5 whenever I travel. I usually do not stay too many nights -- 2 or 3, tops...

Tips are always nice. I just wish more people did it -- especially given the way most people leave their rooms when they check out. They leave mountains and mountains of garbage and no tip... Yeah... thanks... I had one guest stay one night, only to leave several empty beer bottles, cigarette butts (in a non-smoking hotel altogether, mind you), trash everywhere... It took me over 2 hours to clean the room!! Yes, it is our job to clean guest rooms, but there is/should be a limit to that... It's really rude when people just take advantage of us...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

NIKV69

Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:19 am

Quoting David L (Reply 37):
The "custom" hasn't been that simple for quite a while. As Tugger says, for many years, many hotels (all the ones I've stayed in) have encouraged guests to hang towels up if they don't want them changed every day and that's what I've been doing for many years. If you want a fresh towel every day then, by all means, do so. Just don't be surprised that not everyone does. I only want a fresh towel and sheets when I check in.

Well I guess if that means saving 2 bucks by all means but I never see those signs in the hotels I stay in. Guess the majority of guests tip there.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 39):
It's really rude when people just take advantage of us...

Yea putting the "do not disturb sign" on the door doesn't matter here. Sorry to hear I can imagine the crap you have to clean up.

smcmac32msn

Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:59 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 40):
Yea putting the "do not disturb sign" on the door doesn't matter here.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn in the Twin Cities (Minnesota), I won't name which one, but it was on I-35E south of the Mall of America.... and I had the DND sign on the door, yet the maid entered the room at 6 AM anyways........... not that I would have tipped on our 4 day stay, but that would have been a definate NO TIP. I hung up towels, and all the maids did on our 4 day stay was make the beds...... we took our own trash out.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

Tugger

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:13 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 39):
Tips are always nice. I just wish more people did it -- especially given the way most people leave their rooms when they check out. They leave mountains and mountains of garbage and no tip... Yeah... thanks... I had one guest stay one night, only to leave several empty beer bottles, cigarette butts (in a non-smoking hotel altogether, mind you), trash everywhere... It took me over 2 hours to clean the room!! Yes, it is our job to clean guest rooms, but there is/should be a limit to that... It's really rude when people just take advantage of us...

No disagreements there with you. I have to admit that I am not a mess maker in my rooms. I believe in leaving the room neat (if not bed made and towels hung) and picked up. So perhaps that colors why I don't feel it is necessary to leave a tip. And I have left a tip when the whole family is there since just by its nature its messier. I actually can't imagine why someone would leave a trashed room, they obviously have no respect for themselves.

And I agree, tips are always nice. Big grin

Tugg

Winglet

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:16 am

If they are friendly as you walk around the hotel, 5 - 10. If not 0 - 5. If very friendly and helpful 20.

bagoldex

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:18 am

I'll usually go with $5 per day. Most of the time I'm in a city where the costs of living are astronomical and minimum wage and benefits don't cut the mustard. Of course if I have crappy service, I do not hesitate to reserve gratuity entirely, but if the stay was pleasant, I'm not going to be a cheapskate, they need the money more than I do.

ShyFlyer

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:35 am

Until reading this thread, the thought of tipping housekeeping had never occurred to me. From time to time, I've left small amounts of money in my room, but it is always there when I return.

Quoting David L (Reply 37):
As Tugger says, for many years, many hotels (all the ones I've stayed in) have encouraged guests to hang towels up if they don't want them changed every day and that's what I've been doing for many years.

I've been seeing more of those notices lately. In Albuquerque, I believe it is actually part of the city code, to help keep water usage down. Towels and linens are always changed out for new guests.
I lift things up and put them down.

LTU932

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:39 am

From what I remember the last I was in a Hotel (on our last trip either in Italy or France), we tipped them zilch, nada.

TSS

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:02 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 45):
From time to time, I've left small amounts of money in my room, but it is always there when I return.

For money to be recognized by housekeeping as a tip and not a careless habit of a very trusting hotel guest, you have to leave it in a very obvious place away from your personal items. For example, most hotels I've stayed in had some sort of "Welcome To ______" card on the room's dresser, usually of either tri-fold or A-frame design, so I just fold 2 one-dollar bills in half and leave them on top of this card for the housekeeper.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Dazed767

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:11 am

Like others I have never thought to tip the housekeeper. Something I'll consider next time I travel. I try to tip 20% at restraunts or when I get a haircut (at least $3).

Tugger

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:48 am

Quoting Dazed767 (Reply 48):
I try to tip 20% at restraunts or when I get a haircut (at least $3).

Uh, yeah, there's another one that I never thought to do. But then I don't get my hair cut at SuperCuts. My hair stylist runs her own business and gets the money directly. Now, gotta say, my wife tips and she goes to the same person. My wife insists that it has to be done, I just don't get it. If the person needs more money then say "the haircut cost $xyz more", seems simple.

I really think the tipping "growth" is all about keeping money off the books of the employer. As mentioned earlier, the more income that is derived from tips, the less money the employer has to pay, pay taxes on, and report.

Tugg