STT757
Topic Author

No More Bill O'Reilly On The Radio

Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 pm

The Radio factor is closing up shop so Bill 'O can concentrate on the tv Factor show, I guess Olberman's finally getting to Bill 'O.

http://www.southernledger.com/ap/205...eilly_to_end_syndicated_radio_show

It's a shame as I've been a listener since 2002, however they changed the time to earlier in the day and reduced it by an hour which made it hard to find time to listen. It was better when it was on until 3 or 4 in the afternoon, now it's off at 2PM.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

PPVRA

Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:41 pm

You mean it went down like Air America went down?

duck 
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

ER757

Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:09 am

Quoting STT757 (Thread starter):
The Radio factor is closing up shop so Bill 'O can concentrate on the tv Factor show, I guess Olberman's finally getting to Bill 'O.

Nah, I don't think Olbermann's the reason. I think it's that Limbaugh has cornered the market on hate mongering on the radio  Wink

TheRedBaron

Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:45 pm

Thanks God... now He and Rush can go the way of the Dodo.
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

NIKV69

Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:22 pm

It's ok there still is Laura, Rush, Mike Gallagher and Hannity.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

STT757
Topic Author

Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 4):
It's ok there still is Laura, Rush, Mike Gallagher and Hannity.

Sorry but the only legitimate talents there are Rush and Hannity. The other two are nobodies who only get audiences when they fill in for somebody.

Besides Bill 'O who's leaving the political talk folks I like are Michael Smirconish and Michael Savage, my favorite Radio personalities in general are of course Howard Stern and Bubba the Love Sponge. Riley Martin is good too.

aloha73g

Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:08 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 5):
Sorry but the only legitimate talents there are Rush and Hannity. The other two are nobodies who only get audiences when they fill in for somebody.

http://www.talkers.com/main/index.ph..._content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=34

Laura Ingraham gets over 5.5 million listeners daily, in an early morning tme slot.

And she never fills in for anyone.
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

sccutler

Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:53 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 2):
I think it's that Limbaugh has cornered the market on hate mongering on the radio Wink

I've noticed, the general standard for speech to be characterized as "hate" speech seems to be that the person making the characterization disagrees with the speaker.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

STT757
Topic Author

Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:12 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 6):
And she never fills in for anyone.

I've heard her fill in for plenty of people, including Bill 'O.

NIKV69

Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Her radio show is decent and I think her stock is rising. I think you will see her move up the ranks in the next 4 years.

Laura Ingraham gets over 5.5 million listeners daily, in an early morning tme slot.

checkmark 

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 7):
I've noticed, the general standard for speech to be characterized as "hate" speech seems to be that the person making the characterization disagrees with the speaker.

Rush isn't hate speech for the right that honor goes to Levin.

aloha73g

Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:22 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 8):
I've heard her fill in for plenty of people, including Bill 'O.

She fills on his TV show, but not his radio show. They are on different syndicators...

He is on Westwod One

She is on Talk Radio Network

I don't think she could fill in for him even if she wanted to.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 9):

Her radio show is decent and I think her stock is rising. I think you will see her move up the ranks in the next 4 years.

Agreed 100%. Her show is extremely entertaining....actually funny. I started listening during the 2004 election and haven't missed a minute since (Thank God for podcasting!)

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

par13del

Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:28 pm

Thought this thread would have been about Bill O, guess I was wrong.

Cheers

STT757
Topic Author

Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:36 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 9):

Early morning? She's on 8-10PM in NY, not exactly prime real estate.

OPNLguy

Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Wow!

First, Ann Coulter has to have her jaws wired shut for a few weeks, and now this...

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus...  Wink
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

NIKV69

Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:40 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 10):
Agreed 100%. Her show is extremely entertaining....actually funny. I started listening during the 2004 election and haven't missed a minute since (Thank God for podcasting!)

I like her because she comes across as real and sincere and I wouldn't mind shagging her either.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 12):
Early morning? She's on 8-10PM in NY, not exactly prime real estate

I am in heaven out here in Laughlin, get this line up.

http://www.talkatoz.com/index.mv?mvc=programschedule.mv

They don't have Laura but I just stream her.

aloha73g

Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:47 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 12):
Early morning? She's on 8-10PM in NY, not exactly prime real estate.

Her "LIVE" Broadcast is:

9am to 12pm Eastern
6am to 9am Pacific
3am to 6am Hawaii (EARLY!!!)

NY must get a replay!

BTW...she has 2 million more listeners than O'Reilly.

-Aloha!

STT757
Topic Author

Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:54 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 14):
I am in heaven out here in Laughlin, get this line up.

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 15):
NY must get a replay!

NY is the largest media market in the Country, if she's rebroadcasting at 9PM at night she's not doing very well.

In fact WABC the broadcast home of Sean Hannity, Don Imus and Rush Limbaugh has signed Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski from MSNBC's "Morning Joe" to lead into Rush Limbaughs show.

Laura's show apparently is a rebroadcast on WABC between 8-10PM, not exactly tearing it up .

NIKV69

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:23 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 16):
Laura's show apparently is a rebroadcast on WABC between 8-10PM, not exactly tearing it up .

I don't think they are worried about the NY market, it's heavily liberal. When I drove out here I had on AM the whole way and all of middle America had her on prime time in every state that is Conservative. That is where she gets her listeners.

Falcon84

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:27 am

O'Reilly; Ingraham; Hannity; Limbaugh, etc: the angry right, screaming at the rest of the world for not believing what they do. You guys can have them. They're all a bunch of angry whites, who can't stand that the rest of the world isn't as conservative and as white as they are.
Work Right, Fly Hard

STT757
Topic Author

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:32 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 17):
That is where she gets her listeners.

But the advertisers wants the big city demographic, it's free radio and the millions of conservative listeners across the country are not paying these big salaries the advertisers are paying them.

dxing

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:15 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 16):
NY is the largest media market in the Country, if she's rebroadcasting at 9PM at night she's not doing very well.

Or, whomever they had at 9pm was doing worse. There is more than one reason to tape delay a program.

As far as O'Reily goes. Why bother with the radio gig if it gets in the way of your TV show? The radio gig was always a second fiddle to his TV show and he spent a lot of time referencing it when he was on the air. I'm actually surprised that Hannity hasn't dropped his now that he is a staple at Fox.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Falcon84

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:40 am

Isn't calling a show "The Best of O'Reilly" and "The Best of Limbaugh" some kind of oxymoron?  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

NIKV69

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:50 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 18):
O'Reilly; Ingraham; Hannity; Limbaugh, etc: the angry right, screaming at the rest of the world for not believing what they do. You guys can have them. They're all a bunch of angry whites, who can't stand that the rest of the world isn't as conservative and as white as they are.

Oh please, Miller and Beckel aren't? MSNBC isn't? Micheal Moore? Ayers? At least we don't plant bombs and brag we got away with it.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 19):
But the advertisers wants the big city demographic, it's free radio and the millions of conservative listeners across the country are not paying these big salaries the advertisers are paying them.

Not really, people in Texas go to the store too you know.

STT757
Topic Author

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:07 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 22):
Not really, people in Texas go to the store too you know.

Compare what popular local Radio programs in the New York Market like the Mike and the Mad Dog show earn in advertising revenue compared to much larger Nationally syndicated programs. People in Texas go to the store, but advertisers in Dallas Texas are not paying what advertisers in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles are paying to get their ads out.

Falcon84

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:07 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 22):
At least we don't plant bombs and brag we got away with it.

No, you just go to war against nations that didn't deserve it, that's all.
Work Right, Fly Hard

stratosphere

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:59 am

I don't know. I don't hold them all in the same light. I actually think that O reilly is more objective than the others. Personnaly I like Lou Dobbs. But when he is not on I watch O'Reilly. I really dont care for Hannity or the others. I hate Olbermann. I try to stay to the center but whatever..

Winglet

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:53 am

Bill o Reilly is the best talk show to the point no spin for real guy. Why cant people get ovcer him?

dxing

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:23 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 23):
People in Texas go to the store, but advertisers in Dallas Texas are not paying what advertisers in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles are paying to get their ads out.

Depends on which you are talking about. If you are talking about the ad in the syndicated program, yes they are. If you are talking about the local ads within the syndicated program you would be right, but there's not going to be much of a difference between New York and Dallas as you're talking number one and number 5. If you said New York and Memphis, then you'd have a point.

http://www.arbitron.com/radio_stations/mm001050.asp

O'Rielly's program airs from noon to 2pm live. Guess who else is on at that time? If you look at his syndicated list of stations there aren't a whole lot of big call signs there. Mostly the small to medium market stations that turn into toaster ovens at night. His name and his show on Fox guaranteed him a radio show, but not a whole lot of money to go with it. So in the end it was probably too time consuming to be worth the effort monetarily.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 24):

So starts the end of this thread.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

NIKV69

Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:59 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 24):

You mean the one your secretary of state pick Hillary voted for?  sarcastic 

Quoting Winglet (Reply 26):
Bill o Reilly is the best talk show to the point no spin for real guy. Why cant people get ovcer him?

Because the left doesn't want that real guy to exist in this country.

Quoting DXing (Reply 27):
So starts the end of this thread

Nahh this thread can survive the codepink propaganda.

solarix

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:58 pm

Who the hell is Olbermann?
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

ual777

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:19 pm

Besides Bill 'O who's leaving the political talk folks I like are Michael Smirconish and Michael Savage, my favorite Radio personalities in general are of course Howard Stern and Bubba the Love Sponge. Riley Martin is good too.

I think Rush and Hannity are the weaker of the bunch. I can't stand Rush, but I do like Gallagher, Prager, Savage, and Medved.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

seb146

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:25 pm

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 7):

Not always. I have listened to Lars Larson and Sean Hannity. I do not agree with their beliefs, but the way they present what they believe and stand by what they believe is what I respect. However, O'Reilly and Rush simply yell, scream, and call names at people that do not believe the same as they do. I would also charictarize Mike Malloy as hate speech, as well, even though he is a liberal.

Like with the Air America argument, if O'Reilly really were as popular as everyone thinks, he would be on the air more, right? I guess that is why Air America went off the air years ago. What? They are still on? But, how can that be? No one listens to them...
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

dxing

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:10 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 31):
he would be on the air more

On the air more and on the air where it counts are two seperate things, like Air America, 61 affiliates, 61! Just burning down the airwaves they are, and look at those blow torches they're on!

http://airamerica.com/stations

Meanwhile O'Reilly is syndicated on over 400 stations. Unlike Air America O'Reilly is voluntarily giving up his radio show because as he says, he can't give justice to both in terms of time. That has been clear on his radio show for quite sometime as he spends half the air time referencing his TV show.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081205/ap_en_tv/fox_news_o_reilly_2

You still don't get it. If you can't generate revenue, which is not O'Reilly's problem, then you are not going to be sucessful on radio unless the government shoves it down everyones throat.

seb146

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:08 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 32):
If you can't generate revenue, which is not O'Reilly's problem, then you are not going to be sucessful on radio unless the government shoves it down everyones throat.

So, Air America is on 61 stations in large cities and the ones making the most noise about banning them are the hosts that are heard on mostly small-town stations. If Air America were losing so much money, why would they even be on 61 stations? Wouldn't they be on, like, none? Why are people afraid there may be opinions other than the strict conservative opinions dished up by the likes of Rush, O'reilly, and Coulter? That, my friend, is one major obstical holding back Air America. Some of these people that listen and agree with every single letter spoken by these conservatives. These listeners simply bob their heads and agree with everything said by them. Yet, if they were to listen to Thom Hartmann, Randi Rhodes, or Ed Schultz, they might actually find themselves agreeing with some of the things said by the evil liberals. But, we would not want free thinkers.

What an interesting list, BTW. Coos Bay, Sheridan, Missoula and Astoria carry Air America but Bend, Sacramento, Boise, and Billings do not. It would be interesting to know how people in those areas that carry Air America feel about it and about politics in general. It might surprise people.

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:44 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 32):
You still don't get it. If you can't generate revenue, which is not O'Reilly's problem, then you are not going to be sucessful on radio unless the government shoves it down everyones throat.

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 31):
However, O'Reilly and Rush simply yell, scream, and call names at people that do not believe the same as they do.

Exactly! And what people forget is shows like O'Riley and Rush are meant as entertainment. Rush to an even higher degree than O' Riley! People listen because it's entertaining and it sells. Just like all the shock-jock type radio shows. It's commentary, opinion, not a news broadcast! Yes, he is traditional/conservative, but not biased. So what? Every other network is liberal/progressive. Big deal if there's one network that actually has the stones to air the other side of the debates! If people really hate him, than don't watch! But the ratings show Fox, and shows like O' Riley are a lot more successful in terms of viewers than the competition by a landslide. The statistics don't lie! When was the last time you heard both sides of an argument on CNN, or MSNBC? *Crickets Churping*

As far as O' Riley goes, anybody whose actually spent any real amount of time listening to his show realizes he is fair, and doesn't just yell and scream at people. Only to idiots who either lie, or don't tell the truth when the facts are obvious and presented to them undisputed. He gives both sides a chance to share their views, unlike a lot of the liberal commentators like Oberman with his little "worlds worst cartoons" and all the other juvenile stuff he airs! I've seen O' Riley interview quite a few people he disagrees with strongly. The one that sticks in my head most was Rosie O' Donald. There's also a fair amount of liberal/progressives callers who might not agree with him, but can admit from regularly listening that he's fair and balanced and they enjoy the debate, regardless if they agree. These are the liberals that truly are open-minded and un-biased. But they're the minority I'm afraid.

And for Christ sake, the guys an Independent! He's against the death penalty. And he didn't hold back in the slightest from criticizing the Bush Administration the last few yeas. He did quite regularly actually. These are just a couple of many examples that illustrate he's really quite fair.

It's funny that everybody loves to jump on O' Riley, but very few of these people have actually watched very many hours of his shows over the years. They make all their opinions of him from secondhand reports and sources, usually from the opposing and biased media which regularly mis-represents what he actually stated or presented on his shows. Networks , people, and news sources like CNN, Oberman, or any of the mainstream newspapers in this country.

As far as Hanity goes, not a huge fan and don't watch that much, but usually people fail to mention Colmes on that show. He's just as liberal as Hanity is conservative. Yet on this show, Fox chooses to represent both sides of the argument equally, with one anchor representing the right, and the other left. Once again, don't see that much on the other network!

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 33):
These listeners simply bob their heads and agree with everything said by them. Yet, if they were to listen to Thom Hartmann, Randi Rhodes, or Ed Schultz, they might actually find themselves agreeing with some of the things said by the evil liberals. But, we would not want free thinkers.

Maybe they bob their heads because these shows with more traditional viewpoints are more along the lines of what the common, traditional American believes? And a lot of these Americans are sick of the modern, progressive agenda that's been evolving over the years? I don't think they bob their heads anymore than the liberals do to whichever media sources they watch and agree with? Of course you're going to agree with most of what is said on shows representing whichever viewpoint you might have.

So it's only possible to be a free thinker if you're liberal? LOL What a bunch of crock! I don't think die hard libs are anymore open-minded that those die hard righties? They just consider themselves more elitist, and smarter than everybody else. Everybody else is just a mere simpleton, but yet, their just so civilized and more sophisticated than everybody else!

Quoting Winglet (Reply 26):

Because his overwhelming success drives the liberals crazy and helps remind them that the majority in this country don't follow their liberal/progressive views, which in their mind is reality, although the majority of the country follows more conservative/traditional viewpoints unless you live in places like NYC, Boston, San Fran or the left coast. Then, after a while they just normally assume the reality they follow in their cities is just like rest of the country, and it isn't. Liberals hate admitting/realizing we still live in an overwhelming traditional, conservative country! One in which 70% of people still hold some kind of spiritual faith! That really drives them mad! These things only further enrage them and make them push for change! Yet it doesn't go very far! Look what happened to gay marriage in California. And that's one of the most progressive states in the country! Just a wake up call for libs that most of America doesn't follow their San Francisco values!

And also further reassurance to traditionalist/conservatives that we're not alone. In fact we're the majority. This is why it doesn't bother me when the libs on here or anywhere else go apeshit and call us every nasty word in the book when we present an opposing argument. just their opinion, not fact, because they are the minority. Not us! Must suck for them! Time to move to Western Europe I guess? Traditionalist just represent what common, normal people have believed for almost all of time. Who cares if maybe 30% of people in this country disagree! Maybe it's them that are out of alignment with America society!

[Edited 2008-12-16 14:19:14]

seb146

Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:24 pm

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 34):
Maybe they bob their heads because these shows with more traditional viewpoints are more along the lines of what the common, traditional American believes?

Maybe because the conservative hosts are pounding into the listener's head "Liberals are evil because..." Then, the conservative host runs down the Republicans talking points and pulls random quotes from Dems just to let the listener know "this is how liberals operate" and "liberals are out to kill America" and so forth.

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 34):
It's funny that everybody loves to jump on O' Riley, but very few of these people have actually watched very many hours of his shows over the years. They make all their opinions of him from secondhand reports and sources, usually from the opposing and biased media which regularly mis-represents what he actually stated or presented on his shows. Networks , people, and news sources like CNN, Oberman, or any of the mainstream newspapers in this country.

I have, actually, watched O'Reilly. He will droan on for hours and hours about conservatives and how great the Republicans are. Once in a while he will say something positive about one or two liberals. I have never seen anywhere on CNN or MSNBC about how they are "fair and balanced" but on FOX, they have Huckabee, Hannity, O'Reilly, and Rove, yet, they bill themselves as "fair and balanced? Give me a break!

Even though Randi Rhodes is liberal (I do not agree with her on everything, either), she at least can say "go look it up yourself if you don't like what you hear" and "don't believe anything any host presents to you." Which is funny because more conservatives will quote Rush, Hannity, FOX, and O'Reilly than liberals quoting CNN, MSNBC or Air America. Even when we do get hard facts from the source, we are still accused of skewing the facts. Which is why I hate arguing with conservatives. They can never accept the fact that other people do not want to believe exactly the same as they do.

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:38 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 35):
I have, actually, watched O'Reilly. He will droan on for hours and hours about conservatives and how great the Republicans are.

I challenge you to list three examples? I use to regularly listen to the show for years when I was a delivery driver in the car for hours a day, and I never once heard him go off about how great Republicans were. In fact I heard him criticize Republicans as much as Democrats. Especially when concerning President Bush or Rumsfeld or Cheney!

Maybe because the conservative hosts are pounding into the listener's head "Liberals are evil because..." Then, the conservative host runs down the Republicans talking points and pulls random quotes from Dems just to let the listener know "this is how liberals operate" and "liberals are out to kill America" and so forth.

Kind of like how O' Riley's opponents pull randomly cut, select bits from his show and use them out of context to present a point that wasn't really what O' Riley was saying? What about if CNN or the competition was doing the same thing, except listing how Republicans were evil and out to kill America? I don't know for certain, but I suspect you'd be o.k. with that? Goes back to what I was saying about there being plenty of opposing competition. If people don't like the traditional viewpoint, than don't watch it. There's plenty of alternatives such as CNN, MSNBC.

I don't know about them Dems, but Liberals are out to kill the country. In fact I think they've hijacked the Democratic party as well, unfortunately? They don't like the country the way it is, and desire massive overhaul and change to make us more secular, and socialist like Western Europe. For Conservative traditionalist American's, this is killing the country from what its always been. They've been pushing their progressive agenda for thirty years now, and the country has already drastically changed for the worse. But that's a whole other debate.

I have never seen anywhere on CNN or MSNBC about how they are "fair and balanced" but on FOX, they have Huckabee, Hannity, O'Reilly, and Rove, yet, they bill themselves as "fair and balanced? Give me a break!

Perhaps that 's because they're not fair and balanced? Just because Fox might be conservative leaning doesn't mean their not balanced. All that means is they give the opposing argument fair time to address their side of the issue. Doesn't mean that have to agree with it. I've seen more of both sides of the argument on Fox than I ever have on the likes of the other networks. Any I've never seen them malicious either. Which is more than I can say for the competition. Opinionated perhaps, but not out the throw bombs, belittle, and simply hurt the opposition just because they don't agree. That's the difference.

Comm'on, I thought we were all suppose to celebrate diversity?!?! Why doesn't most of the left just be honest and admit they don't want a network with an opposing opinion to their politics! That would be more respectable then bashing Fox for supposedly being biased, but not the other left leaning networks!

[Edited 2008-12-16 14:57:23]

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:21 pm

It's examples of un-professionalism such as in the video below that I find most absurd for a supposedly serious national news network. Particularly what Olberman says at the 1.21 minute mark. Never seen anything like this from Fox aimed at their opposition. Additionally, 'Worlds Worst' seems to always revolve around the same list of about a dozen people. Over and over again! The first time I watched it, I had had a few beers and I thought I was watching Comedy Central! They had little cartoon heads dancing around the screen making pouty faces while he was going off on whoever it was they were craping on that week?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-faQiJo94-U

In contrast, O' Riley interviewing somebody he personally differs with. Pretty fair, balanced, and gives her time to present her view without attack, yelling and ridicule! And the one being interviewed even admits at the end Bill isn't what is common perception is among people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rSCYohPwr4

[Edited 2008-12-16 15:23:53]

Aaron747

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:22 pm

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 36):
I don't know about them Dems, but Liberals are out to kill the country. In fact I think they've hijacked the Democratic party as well, unfortunately? They don't like the country the way it is, and desire massive overhaul and change to make us more secular, and socialist like Western Europe. For Conservative traditionalist American's, this is killing the country from what its always been. They've been pushing their progressive agenda for thirty years now, and the country has already drastically changed for the worse. But that's a whole other debate.

With this kind of "talk", you call anything coming out of your noggin the foundation for debate?

Embarrassment snore.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:41 pm

Sorry, it's the truth, although you may not agree? But that's probably coming from a liberal prospective where you see gains where traditional/conservative Americans see loss? No problem, your opinion! But that's the attitude that progression has brought us, and why many are opposed.

Progressive/liberal policy and a secular society is what's common in Western Europe. I live here and have traveled throughout Western and Eastern Europe constantly, over the last ten years. It's a different culture and society than the USA. ( As is almost any country outside of North America) That's indisputable. I'm not debating what's better, and I'm not criticizing Western Europe or other countries societies. That's just not what the USA is like, or ever has been, and it's not what traditional Americans want.

dxing

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:49 am

So, Air America is on 61 stations in large cities and the ones making the most noise about banning them are the hosts that are heard on mostly small-town stations.

I counted 13 maybe 15 large markets. You would expect that with only 61 affiliates. The next metric would be ratings share. I don't have the time or patience to dig up the arbitron ratings but I'd be willing to bet a steak dinner that whatever station in the same market carries Rush and Hannnity, it just blows the Air America affiliate away.

If Air America were losing so much money, why would they even be on 61 stations?

Because in a lot of those 61 locations, of which some are doubled up, like Chicago has 3 affiliates which means they are so low power they don't interfere with each other or that there is typo, but back to the point of those 61 most likely they are bundled with the station that really does make money.

Why are people afraid there may be opinions other than the strict conservative opinions dished up by the likes of Rush, O'reilly, and Coulter?

No one is afraid of it, but losing money on those opnions is quite another matter.

That, my friend, is one major obstical holding back Air America

The major obstacle holding back Air America is that not enough people care to listen to it for it to make money which is the object of commercial radio stations.

Yet, if they were to listen to Thom Hartmann, Randi Rhodes, or Ed Schultz, they might actually find themselves agreeing with some of the things said by the evil liberals.

If those hosts were as entertaining as Rush, Hannity, G. Gordon, Laura, or some others then they would have no problem finding affiliates because radio station owners would realize they can sell the program because people demonstrated to be listening which is not something they can evidently do now.

It's not about opinions, it's about sales.

seb146

Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:46 pm

What about if CNN or the competition was doing the same thing, except listing how Republicans were evil and out to kill America? I don't know for certain, but I suspect you'd be o.k. with that?

Actually, what I hear from "liberal" hosts is how the Bush Administration has damaged the view of the United States around the world and how Republican leaders simply line up behind Bush and agree with everything he says. I hear it all coming back to the Bush Administration, not Republicans. But, since they are "liberals" they are not worth listening to.

If people don't like the traditional viewpoint, than don't watch it. There's plenty of alternatives such as CNN, MSNBC.

Well, no. In the Portland OR area, CNN and MSNBC are available on cable. Those of us that lost our jobs or can not afford to work because we would lose our health care, so not have cable. So, we turn to radio. Those of us that are lucky enough to subscribe to cable have to pay extra for MSNBC, which is on digital cable. So, those of us that want information still have to pay for it.

I choose to have internet over cable. Frees up a lot of time and I can see both sides of a story easily.

I think I found why "liberals" are so dispised. Back in the mid-1990s, radio stations were playing political hosts who saw how popular Clinton was. Clinton, of course, is a Democrat. The country humming along, everyone working, economy going well, that just did not sit well with hard-core Republicans. So, these mouth-pieces took it to the air attacking and attacking Clinton and Democrats. Then, came the "Contract With America" and the Republican controlled Congress. Still, the country was doing well, but the Republican mouth pieces were not happy. It was all Clinton's fault. Everything was falling apart and it was the Democrats fault and Clinton's fault, according to the conservative mouth-pieces. All this hatred towards Democrats and Clinton can be traced back to the mid-1990s when Dems/Clinton got the country going well. I think some Republicans were so jealous over how well things went, they would rather destroy it all than acknowledge the good job done.

Now, I am going to be told how this recession is the fault of the Dems/Clinton and the conservatives/Republicans are completely absolved of any responsibility. Wait for it....

One other point: If Air America or any liberal host were that horrible, they would be off the air in favor of conservative talkers or Latino radio, or, even, static. In the Portland market, La Pantera is actually the most popular according to Arbitron. Also, on KPOJ, I hear just as many commercials as on KXL and KPAM which are all owned by different (competing) companies.

AGM100

Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:09 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 41):
Now, I am going to be told how this recession is the fault of the Dems/Clinton and the conservatives/Republicans are completely absolved of any responsibility. Wait for it....

No one should say that ..ever. It is a normal cycle of economy ... however in a presidential election year it gets hyped beyond reason. If you dont think that the Democrats were thinking that the bad economy was going to help them, then you are naive. Like Rahm said , "lets not miss the oppourtunity of a good crises" .

Now the democrats are all sitting back waiting for PE Obama to save them with a big majic governemnt solution. It is the perfect plan for liberals , they want government solutions to everything. PE Obama is going to over extend his solution package because of his idea that it is a governemnt fix that is needed. It will fail . And it will all still be blamed on the Bush administration.

Dont get me wrong , I am not happy with President Bush either . He has allowed the liberals to run run with the FM's and even as of this moring the sub primes are still in focus as the cause of this mess. President Bush should have slammed the door on Dodd , Barney ,Rezco Acorn , Blago's wife and the rest of the pre qualified homesalesmen. Instead he promoted the socialization of our economy and it will be his lagacy.

I will miss Bill O on the radio , he is good.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

dxing

Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:23 pm

One other point: If Air America or any liberal host were that horrible, they would be off the air in favor of conservative talkers or Latino radio, or, even, static.

Not necessarily. The syndicator sells their own ads. I doubt that any of the Air America hosts have any where near the lucritive contract that Rush has, or even the contract that O'Reilly has.
The local stations as I stated before can be bundled to another, more popular station. If that doesn't exist then the station is most likely treading water with it's nose just above the water line. I have not checked those affiliates but I'd be willing to bet the transmitter doesn't chew up much more electricity than a large homes central air conditioner. Nor does it say those affiliates are on 24 hours a day.

Also, on KPOJ, I hear just as many commercials as on KXL and KPAM which are all owned by different (competing) companies.

But what are those ads selling for on the respective stations?

AvObserver

RE: No More Bill O'Reilly On The Radio

Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:17 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 2):
I think it's that Limbaugh has cornered the market on hate mongering on the radio

Define hate mongering. If you're referring to immigration, the main conservative pundits are speaking against illegal immigration, NOT the immigrants. The notion that all those who speak out against illegal immigration are racists is left-wing demagogery. To lump them in with true white supremecists like the KKK and Stormfront is sheer nonsense design to shut down all reasonable debate on controlling illegal immigration.

Falcon, I'm really surprised at your rant, here. I, too, am angry at a lot of them for blindly defending the Iraq War but to imply they're all racists is over the top. You may justifiably disagree with many of their positions but there's no foundation to paint them all with a "racist" label. A few of them are sometimes over the top with their rhetoric but you can't use the R-word in the broad sense to define them all, in general. And some of things Olbermann has said on MSNBC and, for that matter, Al Franken and Janine Garafalo used to say on Air America a long time ago, came off as angry and hateful as anything the consevative commentators are accused of. Even Fox News's Alan Colmes, an unabashed liberal, as you all know, stated that Air America failed commercially because of their consistently angry bent. They failed to also entertain listeners, the cardinal sin of radio. You can call Limbaugh and Hannity blowhards as I often do but you can't deny they entertain. Despite my rifts with them on certain issues, I keep listening and so does America. With about 20 million listeners, Rush is doing something right, much as I often hate to admit.