pilotdude09

Flying With A Tooth Ache!?

Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:26 am

Hey guys,

Got a flight to NZ in a couple weeks and return, been having a toothache on and off and cannot get the tooth out till early next year as the dentists are fully booked, no emergency appointments either!

So basically i'm going to have to fly with it.

Do toothaches get worse when you fly? just wondering if anyone else has flown with toothaches and how did they go?

Cheers,
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

Type-Rated

RE: Flying With A Tooth Ache!?

Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:49 am

Are you sure there aren't any dentists available? I could always get an emergency appointment within hours. But I've only ever had a few toothaches, but they can be real killers.
If you have a cavity and it's open to the air, then there shouldn't be any problem. But it will still hurt like hell even on the ground.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

pilotdude09

Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:15 am

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 1):
Are you sure there aren't any dentists available?

Yeah, only 2 dentists in town and both are fully booked until February with emergency appointments in January so stuck with it until i get the thing out.

It's a wisdom tooth just showing some decay, got a clean the other day and been in pain since!
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

Ken777

Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 pm

It might mess up your trip a bit, but maybe there is a dentist in NZ that will pull the tooth - or an oral surgeon. You can also ask your GP for something for the pain when it hits - just don't drink while you're using it.

Depending on the problem (especially an abscess) it can get worse on the flight. Ice can be a big help - unless it makes it worse. I had that problem once on a flight. Had a large glass of ice water - would swish a bit around my mouth to get relief, then spit it into another cup. Not nice, but each swig got me a few minutes of relief.

2H4

Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:20 pm

If you can't get help from any dentist, pick up some Anbesol, or a similar pain-relief ointment.

I had a bad cavity for awhile, and eventually needed a root canal. Before I went to the dentist, though, I used Anbesol and Sensodyne toothpaste to control the pain, and those worked pretty well for some time. They don't specifically address your concern for the altitude issue, but I bet they'll help a lot.

Ideally, we'd all be like Chuck Norris and simply crunch a few mouthfuls of granite to teach the pain a lesson.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank