alberchico

Should Adultery Be A Crime?

Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:58 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7786985.stm

very interesting case. Personally it should be a criminal offense. That way people would think long and hard before getting married thus reducing the divorce rate.....

[Edited 2008-12-17 07:03:29]
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

ajd1992

RE: Should Adultery Be A Crime?

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:00 pm

Yes and no.... I mean it's hardly a bad thing to do compared to murder or something like that but it isn't a nice thing either.

I wouldn't say people should be jailed for it, maybe a different punishment though. It's still wrong either way.

STT757

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:02 pm

In the military I believe adultery is a crime.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

mbmbos

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:06 pm

No, it would be ridiculous to treat adultery as a crime.

EWRCabincrew

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Thread starter):
Personally it should be a criminal offense. That way people would think long and hard before getting married thus reducing the divorce rate.....

You should think long and hard about getting married as it is, but most don't. Criminalising adultery won't change that. There will be other reasons then for divorce.
You can't cure stupid

slider

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:25 pm

I’ll respond to this in a similar context as the abortion argument.

Whether it is legal or illegal is not the issue—it’s a strawman.

If you want less infidelity, you have to change the culture. The depraved, sex-crazed, impulsive and undisciplined culture that says it’s OK and accepts it. You have to teach fidelity, commitment and how marriages should work. The legal arena is really a moot point. It is reactive and only more destructive.

Aaron747

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:49 pm

What about married couples that introduce other couples into their arena and/or allow other partners to be with their spouse?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

WildcatYXU

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:54 pm

It is. In many countries. Punishable by death. I don't think you'd like to live in such country.

So:

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 3):

310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

mbmbos

Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:07 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 6):
The depraved, sex-crazed, impulsive and undisciplined culture that says it’s OK and accepts it.

Wow. Is that really the way you see our culture?

You know, I agree with you when you say that legislation isn't the answer and that it must be addressed via cultural change. But instead of becoming more repressive, i.e., accusing anyone and everyone who enjoys having sex outside of wedlock of being depraved, sex-crazed, impulsive and undisciplined and turning them into pariahs, perhaps we should encourage people to marry only if it really suits them and only if they're very sincere about it.

I am still surprised at how many twenty-somethings I meet who feel incredible pressure to get married before they're thirty and have babies before they're thirty five. It seems to me a lot of people put tremendous energy into conforming to social norms instead of coming to an understanding of who they are and what they really seek in their journey through life.

I would rather we reduce the divorce rate by having fewer marriages and ensuring the marriages that do occur are quality ones.

As for those depraved people who like sex and don't really want to get married, let's stop shoving shame down their throats. Instead, let's teach them to act responsibly, i.e., use proper protection from STDs and unwanted pregnancies.

yanksn4

Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:50 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 2):
n the military I believe adultery is a crime

Technically in the State of Colorado, it is a crime to commit adultery. No penalty or anything is stated so it's never enforced.
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

vikkyvik

Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:10 pm

checkmark 

I don't care what you do in your bedroom or anyone else's bedroom, nor with whom you do it.

That way people would think long and hard before getting married thus reducing the divorce rate.....

Why, exactly, should the government or the rest of the population care whether you get divorced or not?

People should be thinking long and hard (that's what she said) about it anyway. But your thoughts don't tend to be very coherent in the heat of the moment.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

seb146

Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Well, since religion is being slowly introduced into some states by telling us who we can and can not marry, why not just take it to that level as well? After all, the Founding Fathers wrote into the Constitution that the religion of the United States shall be Christianity, right? Marrige between one man and one woman was written into the Constitution by the Founding Fathers and approved by the Contenintal Congress, right? Just like how the official language in the Untied States is English, we all have to be Christians and heterosexual by law?

Should adultery be a crime in the United States? No. I think American society needs to stop being two-faced about things. Like getting all offended if a boob is shown on TV but being told it is okay to go to strip clubs or it's okay to watch the "Girls Gone Wild" DVDs. After seeing these things for a while, it's like: Who cares?
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

iairallie

Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 1):
Yes and no.... I mean it's hardly a bad thing to do compared to murder or something like that but it isn't a nice thing either

Adultery is nothing to sniff at. I think it ranks close to murder. It causes nearly as much damage to the victims. It destroys families and society pays a terrible price for that.

I think it should be criminalized. Adulterers a the very least violate a serious contract.

People who are willing to cheat the person they are supposed to love most in the world cannot be trusted. I wouldn't want to do business with that kind of person. They certainly wouldn't think twice about screwing me over if they do it to their spouse.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

luv2fly

Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:34 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 4):

Personally it should be a criminal offense. That way people would think long and hard before getting married thus reducing the divorce rate.....

You should think long and hard about getting married as it is, but most don't. Criminalising adultery won't change that. There will be other reasons then for divorce.

Well said! 110% agree with ya. I mean come on as a country we should move forward and not backwards.

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 13):
Adultery is nothing to sniff at. I think it ranks close to murder. It causes nearly as much damage to the victims. It destroys families and society pays a terrible price for that.

I think it should be criminalized. Adulterers a the very least violate a serious contract.

People who are willing to cheat the person they are supposed to love most in the world cannot be trusted. I wouldn't want to do business with that kind of person. They certainly wouldn't think twice about screwing me over if they do it to their spouse.

Great with your thoughts then no more politicians for starters. Not many people can be trusted that is why we have banks, locks on our doors, we buy insurance to covers losses.
You can cut the irony with a knife

iairallie

Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:43 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 12):
Well, since religion is being slowly introduced into some states by telling us who we can and can not marry, why not just take it to that level as well?

It's not about religion it is about stopping behaviors that harm society. Adultery is bad for families and bad for society. We all pay the price for the behavior of selfish adulterers.

luv2fly

Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:50 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 15):
It's not about religion it is about stopping behaviors that harm society. Adultery is bad for families and bad for society. We all pay the price for the behavior of selfish adulterers.

Oh please this is 2008, we have an African American President starting next year. Adultery is a think of the past to say the least. Get over it, people cheat and they always will. And to some simple flirting is considered cheating. If your so worried or non trusting to not put yourself out there, then stay home cut yourself off to what could have been. To me that is no kind of life I would like to live.

vikkyvik

Should the law mandate that you love your spouse more than anyone in the world?

There's simply no way to enforce something like that.

Is it written in a marriage license that you shall not sleep with anyone else?

If it's a religious contract that you're talking about, then I would think going to hell is punishment enough.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

seb146

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 15):
Adultery is bad for families and bad for society. We all pay the price for the behavior of selfish adulterers.

What about the selfishness of a partner that decides to gain 150 pounds or decides to quit their job to sit at home and play PS3 or decides to work 18 to 20 hours a day instead of being at home? What about the people that do not have sex with another person, but, instead, abandons the relationship for their own selfish reasons?
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

SkyyKat

Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:05 pm

Correct

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 12):
Adulterers a the very least violate a serious contract.

Where does it say a married person cant have sex outside the marriage?

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:18 pm

Quoting Yanksn4 (Reply 9):

Technically in the State of Colorado, it is a crime to commit adultery.

Minnesota as well.

609.36 ADULTERY.
Subdivision 1.Acts constituting.

When a married woman has sexual intercourse with a man other than her husband, whether married or not, both are guilty of adultery and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than one year or to payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both.
Subd. 2.Limitations.

No prosecution shall be commenced under this section except on complaint of the husband or the wife, except when such husband or wife is insane, nor after one year from the commission of the offense.
Subd. 3.Defense.

It is a defense to violation of this section if the marital status of the woman was not known to the defendant at the time of the act of adultery.

So basically a married woman can only have sex with her husband...a married man on the other hand can have sex with either his wife or any unmarried woman  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

wn700driver

Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:29 pm

Oh please. I can think of at least a few situations where I regret not "cheating" when I had the chance.

I married a woman who promptly gained 60lbs, a nasty tendency towards "domestic issues," quit her job (but still did virtually no house mx), and started going all over the country at will (I work for an airline), bought pets she knew I was allergic to, and spent us into the third circle of hell while I was stuck holding the bag, so to speak. All of this in the space of a year. Since that is obviously not what I wanted to marry (or intended to, to put it another way,) I feel that the contract was breached long before I could have "cheated."

An opportunity arose, but I chose the so -called high road for no reason other than that I could say I was better than that. Better than what?, I now wonder. Better than having the love of my life in my life so that I could prove something to some arrogant broad I happened to share an address with?

I know I sound like a jerk (and I am... for not taking the opportunity I had...) but the point is that life is shades of grey, people. Not all cheaters are bad or weak people. In fact, I have a theory now that at least 50% of the men an women that get cheated on did something to deserve it.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

diamond

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:03 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 10):
Why, exactly, should the government or the rest of the population care whether you get divorced or not?

The government and much of the population spends a lot of time pontificating about the "sanctity of marriage".

So it makes sense that if they are as genuinely concerned about it as they claim, they'd view adultery and divorce as threats to that sanctity as well.

But since most of them (now over 50%) are divorced, and many are adulterers, it's easier to go after the gays (instead of themselves) as a threat to their esteemed institution.
Blank.

max999

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:10 pm

Protect Marriage...Ban Divorce!
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

vikkyvik

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:12 pm

Quoting Diamond (Reply 21):

The government and much of the population spends a lot of time pontificating about the "sanctity of marriage".

I am aware of all that. My question was "why?"

A word is just a word. Calling something "marriage" doesn't mean the two people in it are suddenly more committed to each other than they were 5 minutes ago.

Nor should it. If you need a title to make your feelings "official", then you probably shouldn't be getting married in the first place.

LTU932

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:25 pm

Should Adultery Be A Crime?

No.

Other question: Do you want the whole Western World to go back to the stone age, by making Adultery a crime again (except in places, where adultery is still a crime)?

Quoting Max999 (Reply 22):
Ban Divorce!

No. Even without adultery, a divorce can always happen.

ShyFlyer

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:38 pm

While adultery is wrong, making it a crime won't solve anything.

Quoting Slider (Reply 5):
If you want less infidelity, you have to change the culture.

checkmark 

Quoting Max999 (Reply 22):
Protect Marriage...Ban Divorce!

Banning divorce wouldn't solve anything either. Doing so would deny people in an abusive or otherwise loveless marriage a way out. It would also encourage more infidelity.
I lift things up and put them down.

Confuscius

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:03 pm

Quoting WN700Driver (Reply 20):
I married a woman who promptly gained 60lbs, a nasty tendency towards "domestic issues," quit her job (but still did virtually no house mx),

Ever heard of mail order bride? You might want to try it. Green card...love you long time.  Smile
Ain't I a stinker?

slider

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:21 pm

Not all cheaters are bad or weak people. In fact, I have a theory now that at least 50% of the men an women that get cheated on did something to deserve it.

I agree that not all cheaters are bad people. It happens, literally, to people of ALL cross-sections, cultures, religions, socioeconomic strata, etc. Ultimately, it stems from not having one’s needs met. That’s it, in a very simplistic way. But more troubling, and as I alluded to about changing the culture, is that many married people today never LEARN HOW to really be married, how to be in love, how to treat each other.

It’s easier to get a marriage license than it is your driver’s license—and with one you’re talking about your largest life decision! What’s wrong with this picture?

And think further about it: you make that decision usually when you’re still infatuated or at least in the ‘honeymoon’ period, before reality sets in. That emotional goodwill disappears eventually…then what do you have? This is what I mean by people need to learn how to do it.

They always say adultery is almost always predominantly about emotional needs, not physical or sexual attraction and I think that’s correct. If the needs are being met, and marriage is protected and guarded as it should, then adultery will never have a place at the table and temptation is kept at bay.

Mir

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 19):
So basically a married woman can only have sex with her husband...a married man on the other hand can have sex with either his wife or any unmarried woman

Equal protection kind of got thrown out the window there....  Yeah sure

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

wn700driver

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:45 pm

Quote:
Ever heard of mail order bride? You might want to try it. Green card...love you long time.

Hmmmm... I might want to if there is a such thing as a mail order live in gf who has no desire to legally and civily bind you to her but still comes with all the "benefits," then we can talk, lol.

Slider...

I think you must be onto something there. I never wanted to cheat on my wife for the sake of sex, or at least sex alone. But in the case I alluded to above, yeah I think there was some emotional need, but maybe on a deeper, albeit related level.
Simply put, wife was rapidly turning into what could essentially be termed an unpleasant roommate.
This woman, by contrast, was interested in things like the logistics of Aircraft Manufacturing and Engineering (as opposed to a generalized interest on aviation itself..), Quantum sciences (again, on a detailed level that should probably left a nerd like myself feeling a bit insecure), things that I didn't even know I liked that much until we met. All that and we both like the same underground Symphonic Black Metal bands. One in a million shot, she was. And I blew it for some worthless principal  banghead  I know that sounds retarded, but there it is.

My wife, on the other hand, was another story. I could water down the most interesting events at work to where your average fifth grader should understand, and I would still be met with things like "I don't get it" or "that's stupid", etc. I think that's the time I learned just how lonely the phrase "I don't get it" can make you feel. This is in addition to all the other virtues I've listed above about said woman.

I think this is why, no matter what people say, no one goes to their grave thinking "I sure I am glad I was faithful to that wreck."
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

max999

Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 25):

Banning divorce wouldn't solve anything either. Doing so would deny people in an abusive or otherwise loveless marriage a way out. It would also encourage more infidelity.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 24):
No. Even without adultery, a divorce can always happen.

Should have clarified myself to say that banning divorce would help protect the sanctity of marriage.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

iairallie

Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:41 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 16):
Should the law mandate that you love your spouse more than anyone in the world?

There's simply no way to enforce something like that.

You missed the point. I wrote that in a separate paragraph for a reason. I was expressing my personal feelings on Adulterers in the second paragraph which boils down to I don't trust anyone who would cheat on their spouse. I covered my legal reasons for in the first paragraph which boils down to adultery is bad for society. Most things which are bad for society have been criminalized. Adultery should be criminalized.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 16):

Is it written in a marriage license that you shall not sleep with anyone else?

Not all contracts are written. Most marriage vows, civil or religious, include passages about fidelity. Marriage vows are a verbal contract.

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 17):

What about the selfishness of a partner that decides to gain 150 pounds or decides to quit their job to sit at home and play PS3 or decides to work 18 to 20 hours a day instead of being at home?

All great reasons for divorce or better yet a marriage councillor.

An opportunity arose, but I chose the so -called high road for no reason other than that I could say I was better than that. Better than what?, I now wonder. Better than having the love of my life in my life so that I could prove something to some arrogant broad I happened to share an address with

Why didn't you just divorce her if she was so horrible. You picked her (lousy choice). You chose to stay with her (another lousy choice). So I don't really get the big martyr act you are pulling. Why would anyone marry someone they couldn't have a conversation with or didn't enjoy being around? Initial attraction is only going to carry you so far. Being married to a crappy person doesn't give you free reign to commit adultery.

luv2fly

Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:57 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 31):
Marriage vows are a verbal contract.

And verbal contracts are not enforceable in a court of law.

vikkyvik

Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:02 am

You missed the point. I wrote that in a separate paragraph for a reason. I was expressing my personal feelings on Adulterers in the second paragraph which boils down to I don't trust anyone who would cheat on their spouse. I covered my legal reasons for in the first paragraph which boils down to adultery is bad for society. Most things which are bad for society have been criminalized. Adultery should be criminalized.

You were expressing your personal feelings in the first paragraph as well:

I think it ranks close to murder.

It causes nearly as much damage to the victims.

I'm sorry, but I think it's slightly ridiculous to say that cheating on someone causes nearly as much damage as killing them. At least, it's ridiculous to make a blanket statement to that effect.

Anyway, legislating this is just another way to absolve people of any sort of personal responsibility.

What if, on her birthday or something, I decide to let my wife have a one night fling with a stranger or something? I don't see any particular reason why the government should tell us that we can't do that.

Not all contracts are written. Most marriage vows, civil or religious, include passages about fidelity. Marriage vows are a verbal contract.

Well to be fair, I haven't read civil marriage vows. But for religious marriage vows, shouldn't the punishment simply be going to hell? Why do we need to make it against the law as well?

iairallie

Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:25 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 32):

That is not true in the slightest. Especially when the verbal contract is entered in front of witnesses. Where are you getting your legal council?

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 33):
You were expressing your personal feelings in the first paragraph as well:

True they were both my personal feelings, nitpicker. Let me spell it out slower with smaller words.

One is my personal feeling towards adulterers.

The other is my personal feelings on why logically adultery should be treated as a crime.

Why do we need to make it against the law as well?

Because it is bad for society and most things which are bad for society are against the law.

What if, on her birthday or something, I decide to let my wife have a one night fling with a stranger or something? I don't see any particular reason why the government should tell us that we can't do that.

IF there is a freely entered agreement about such things then I don't view that as adultery.

I think it's slightly ridiculous to say that cheating on someone causes nearly as much damage as killing them

I don't think it is ridiculous at all. I have seen many people utterly destroyed emotionally over this. It is the ultimate betrayal. There are plenty of studies which show a child's quality of life is degraded after divorce. I have also known people harmed physically by infidelity (ie incurable STDs).

If you want to play and be selfish, by all means go for it. But don't enter into a marriage unless you are prepared to be committed. Don't make promises you have no intention of keeping and be honest with all your partners.

LTU932

Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:50 am

Quoting Max999 (Reply 30):
Should have clarified myself to say that banning divorce would help protect the sanctity of marriage.

What sanctity of marriage? Even with all divorces, you will be "unable" to protect this so-called sanctity. Many people don't even have church weddings anymore.

Zkpilot

Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:50 am

I doubt it will return as a crime.
However there should still be punishment for it in some form... ie if a couple gets divorced because one has committed adultery then perhaps their share of the divorce settlement should be legally less or something like that.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:04 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 2):
In the military I believe adultery is a crime.

You are correct. Adultery is a crime in the military, although it doesn't result in a court martial but an Article 15 (at least in the Air Force), which is the highest form of non-judicial punishment. Perfectly fine by me too. Hey, if you can't be trusted to be faithful to your spouse, I sure as hell don't think you should be trusted with classified information.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

vikkyvik

Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:09 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 34):
True they were both my personal feelings, nitpicker. Let me spell it out slower with smaller words.

That wasn't nitpicking. It was rather obvious.

But take it easy. No offense intended.

IF there is a freely entered agreement about such things then I don't view that as adultery.

OK, fair enough on that point.

If you want to play and be selfish, by all means go for it. But don't enter into a marriage unless you are prepared to be committed. Don't make promises you have no intention of keeping and be honest with all your partners.

I generally agree with you on that. Just don't agree that it needs to be incorporated into the law.

Should we, for example, also enact laws governing the minimum amount of time you must spend with your wife? The minimum amount of money you must spend on her?

That is not true in the slightest. Especially when the verbal contract is entered in front of witnesses. Where are you getting your legal council?

Yeah, actually, I remember learning that verbal contracts are legally binding in certain situations.

don81603

Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:22 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 10):
I don't care what you do in your bedroom or anyone else's bedroom, nor with whom you do it.

If you were on the bitter end of infidelity, you'd see things through a different set of glasses, my friend

In many ways it causes more damage than murder. In the case of infidelity, the victim usually will be exposed to their antagonist (seeing them in public, etc) which just reopens old wounds.

I personally think this young lady found the perfect way to deal with the issue.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 256 File size: 31kb
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Superfly

Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:31 am

Personal issue that is no one else's business but those involved.

This then, every guy should read over this is prior to getting married.

http://www.nomarriage.com/

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 26):
Ever heard of mail order bride? You might want to try it. Green card...love you long time.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 39):
I personally think this young lady found the perfect way to deal with the issue.

Great, resort to vandalism which IS a crime just because her feelings were hurt.  Yeah sure
Bring back the Concorde

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:35 am

If you were on the bitter end of infidelity, you'd see things through a different set of glasses, my friend

I've never been cheated on but I have friends who have been, and the emotional damage is pretty severe.

I like how Carrie Underwood delt with it in "Before He Cheats"  wink 

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 38):
I generally agree with you on that. Just don't agree that it needs to be incorporated into the law.

I don't know if it should be incorporated into law in the civilian world but I do think an employer should have every right to fire someone for infidelity. It comes down to trust. Just like in the military the same should mentality should be taken in the private sector - if you can't be trusted at home with the spouse, why should you be trusted in the work-place?

Superfly

Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:46 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 41):
I do think an employer should have every right to fire someone for infidelity.

Total bull$h!t.
It's not your employer's business unless it was with a co-worker and was causing an interruption in business.
If my house is on fire, I could careless if one of the firefighters had an affair on the side.

Should Alfred C. Haynes, William Records, Robert Pearson, Maurice Quintal and other heroic pilots lose their jobs if they just so happened to have affairs?

Give us a break, that is such a heavy handed approach to dealing with such a personal issue.
Bring back the Concorde

Acheron

Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:14 am

Instead of criminalizing adultery, how about we go and treat the root issue that would cause someone to think about it.

If you get what want and need at home, people wouldn't go around looking for something else outside marriage. And I think all this goes beyond people just being

Quoting Slider (Reply 5):
The depraved, sex-crazed, impulsive and undisciplined

[Edited 2008-12-17 18:20:23]

vikkyvik

Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:15 am

I've been cheated on, my friend.

Not by a wife, because I haven't gotten married yet (and don't plan to anytime soon).

I'm not entirely sure how that changes my point. Sure, I was extremely upset and pissed off. I still am, when I think about it.

Do I think she should have gone to jail for it (had we been married)? No.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 41):
I don't know if it should be incorporated into law in the civilian world but I do think an employer should have every right to fire someone for infidelity.

If it hasn't affected his business performance in any way, I see no reason for him to be fired. Not to mention, how can you prove that he did in fact cheat? That's a huge can of worms right there - his word against hers.

asuflyer05

Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:34 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 6):
What about married couples that introduce other couples into their arena and/or allow other partners to be with their spouse?

I've often wondered if open-relationships and couples who swing should be considered adultery. Specifically under the UCMJ. I personally don't view it as adultery since the other partner is aware of the extra-marital activities.

luv2fly

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:04 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 32):

Certainly not you. If the contract is/was that important you get it in writing. And a witness might give some credibility though it will only be as good and believable as your witness, so get it in writing.

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:05 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 44):
If it hasn't affected his business performance in any way, I see no reason for him to be fired. Not to mention, how can you prove that he did in fact cheat? That's a huge can of worms right there - his word against hers.

Wow. Did you A) purposely only quote part of my post or B) just not read the rest of it? I believe I answered your question, explaining why the military takes a negative opinion on its members who cheat, at least on a spouse. I don't think they can do anything to you if you just cheat on a boyfriend or girlfriend. As for your question, it's just like trying to prove a good chunk of rape cases - many of them are "his word versus hers". Should anything happen or anyone be found guilty without indisputable evidence? No. But if the evidence is there and indisputable....

Quoting Superfly (Reply 42):
If my house is on fire, I could careless if one of the firefighters had an affair on the side.

But if I'm going into that burning house with that fire-fighter who has no loyalty to his or her spouse, what is going to convince me that that fire-fighter is loyal to me as a member of that team? I have a friend who if she puts me as reference for her security clearance for the Air Force, I fully intend on telling the person interviewing that she's not a trustworthy individual because she's cheated on more than one person, and she should not be given classified information. Simple as that.

[Edited 2008-12-17 19:09:46]

Superfly

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:31 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 47):
what is going to convince me that that fire-fighter is loyal to me as a member of that team?

Are you saying that someone who has an affair has a lower respect for human life?
Please clarify.

I have a friend who if she puts me as reference for her security clearance for the Air Force, I fully intend on telling the person interviewing that she's not a trustworthy individual because she's cheated on more than one person, and she should not be given classified information. Simple as that.

Some "friend" you are.
I don't want to go negative with you FlyDeltaJets87 but I really think you should reconsider what you say. You may never know when or if you may need her help in the future. Don't for a second think that if you are in a higher position today than she is that she can't ever help you out in the future.
Perhaps you should be honest and up front with her that you don't feel comfortable being used as a reference for a job. Now if she has trust in you to be a good job reference and then you turn around and stab her in the back, then you are the one being deceitful and dishonest.
I could never give a bad reference to someone I consider a "friend" and if I didn't feel right about giving a reference for someone, I would let that person know up from before they put my name down as a reference.
'Honesty is the best policy' goes both ways.
Bring back the Concorde

OlegShv

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:56 am

I don't think they can do anything to you if you just cheat on a boyfriend or girlfriend.

But if I'm going into that burning house with that fire-fighter who has no loyalty to his or her spouse, what is going to convince me that that fire-fighter is loyal to me as a member of that team?

So, according to your logic, only married people should be employed because you can't trust single ones (they can cheat all they want and you can't do shit about it). I guess you shouldn't trust anyone who is single then. And yes, no single/divorced firefighters allowed - just can't trust 'em cause they can cheat  Confused