PSA727
Topic Author

Obama's A-List Inaugural Invite.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:13 pm

Well it looks like President-elect Obama has invited the pastor Rick Warren to give the invocation at his swearing-in ceremony. Y'all know Rick? Maybe most of you remember him as the host of the Presidential Forum at Saddleback College this past summer with McCain and Obama. Some of you might also know him as a vocal supporter of Prop 8...Oops...I mean Prop H8...in California. Now this is change we all can believe in. ENJOY!
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

UAL747

RE: Obama's A-List Inaugural Invite.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:25 pm

While I'm a big supporter of Obama, I don't know what he is really going to do for gay rights if anything, and I will be very disappointed if he doesn't do anything about them. The pick for Warren was not really the smartest thing I don't think.

I got in this argument the other day with a black friend where I compared the the black civil rights movement to the gay civil rights movement. While I know gays have not had to endure slavery and government imposed segregation, I meant they were very similar in the fact that they are both about the limitation of civil rights on a minority group, that is all I meant. I said it was the civil rights movement of the 21st century, at which she took great offense.

What I find funny, is that somewhere around 88% percent of the black population who voted on Prop 8, voted for it. It's ironic and rather disappointing that so many black americans would do that when they were in a similar situation not so long ago.

Therefore, because Obama has such a huge black following, I'm wondering if he will do anything about gay rights because of that, or if this is just "fluff" talking.

My black friend said that many black families are extremely homophobic, which I don't know if it's true or not, but she says it's due to the church. I'm not sure, but it's disheartening.

Does anyone know any numbers on the hispanic population?

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

AGM100

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:12 pm

I dont understand why it was not Rev Wright. PE Obama said that the Rev. had gotten a bad rap and was essentially swift boated by the GOP. If that is the case then why did he not honor his "spiritual mentor "close friend and confidant at his inaugural. ?

That said , I can not help but admire his courage on picking Warren . It does not mean that he has to agree with everything Warren believes , but he respects him.
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

mt99

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:28 pm

On the other hand, where is the Christian outrage at Warren is going to speak at the inauguration of Obama, who is pro choice, whose middle name is Hussein and who (according to countless emails) is a muslim?
Step into my office, baby

Superfly

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:29 pm

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 1):
I don't know what he is really going to do for gay rights if anything, and I will be very disappointed if he doesn't do anything about them.

I can guarantee you that Obama will appoint judges that will be in favor of gay rights and THAT's what counts.
Bring back the Concorde

PSA727
Topic Author

Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:43 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
I can guarantee you that Obama will appoint judges that will be in favor of gay rights and THAT's what counts.

Really???? I can just see the Senate judicial hearings for that....."now forget about whether
or not you think Roe vs Wade is permanent law, do you think two dudes should be allowed to
marry?" If this becomes Obama's litmus test for Supreme Court nominees, then Bill Clinton's attempt to repeal the ban on gays in the military will look like a day in the park. BTW, the Supreme Court does not make legislation.
fly high, pay low...Germanwings!

Superfly

Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:01 am

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 5):
BTW, the Supreme Court does not make legislation.

Duh, we all know that.
Judges do make decisions that effect us all and can strike down legislation.

Quoting PSA727 (Reply 5):
If this becomes Obama's litmus test for Supreme Court nominees,

Never said Obama would make gay rights a litmus test but I do trust him to appoint intelligent liberal minded judges that would be sympathetic to gay rights along with other liberal issues.
Bring back the Concorde

dxing

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:40 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):
Never said Obama would make gay rights a litmus test but I do trust him to appoint intelligent liberal minded judges that would be sympathetic to gay rights along with other liberal issues.

The only thing they should be sympathetic to is the Constitution.

To the victor go the spoils. Whomever he wants to invite to his party is his business.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

mariner

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:24 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 7):
To the victor go the spoils. Whomever he wants to invite to his party is his business.

Absolutely true. There is the old aphorism, of course - dance with the one who brung yer.

So it remains a hard kick in the nuts to many gay people and it is vomit-making to hear Mr Warren justify his homophobia by saying that he knows many gay people and gives 'em donuts.

But - each to their own, always.  Smile

mariner
aeternum nauta

Mir

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:24 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 7):
The only thing they should be sympathetic to is the Constitution.

And they will be.

If everything were clearly spelled out in the Constitution, there would be no need for judges. Judges are there to interpret the Constitution in cases where the answer isn't specific. There are liberal interpretations, there are conservative interpretations, and there are interpretations in between. But all of them are interpretations of the same Constitution. You and I may not interpret the Constitution in the same way as a judge does, but that doesn't mean they are wrong.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

luv2fly

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:29 am

Well Obama is kinda meeting us Gays half way, so to say.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...s/religion/post/2008/12/60178434/1
You can cut the irony with a knife

dxing

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:41 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
Judges are there to interpret the Constitution in cases where the answer isn't specific.

Incorrect. As stated in the Constitution itself those powers and rights not enumerated within the Constitution are reserved to the people and the States.

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
You and I may not interpret the Constitution in the same way as a judge does, but that doesn't mean they are wrong.

The Constitution is what it is. It is an enumerated set of rules and powers. What is not there should not, and according to the Constitution itself cannot be interpreted.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Charles79

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:48 am

Quoting PSA727 (Thread starter):
Some of you might also know him as a vocal supporter of Prop 8...Oops...I mean Prop H8...in California. Now this is change we all can believe in. ENJOY!

For me, meaningful change would have been NOT having an invocation at all. This is a government activity, not a religious one. Religion does not belong in the workplace, and certainly not in the highest office of government. If Obama wants to pray for his Presidency he can do so at his own time.

As for gay rights I said it from the beginning that I don't expect much from Obama (in fact he made it very clear that he was against gay marriage during the campaign), though I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

767Lover

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:14 am

Quoting Charles79 (Reply 12):
As for gay rights I said it from the beginning that I don't expect much from Obama (in fact he made it very clear that he was against gay marriage during the campaign), though I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not sure some of your brethren heard that message. There are many who believe Obama will be supportive of gay marriage. (Heck, there are even a couple on this forum who have said Obama is not religious. They must have been thinking of the other Obama.  Smile

At any rate, Obama's choice is kind of like a big F-You to the gay community. It was a stupid move on his part, not only politically but socially as well, and I just hope his judgment in the future isn't so impaired.

767Lover

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:37 am

While I'm a big supporter of Obama, I don't know what he is really going to do for gay rights if anything,

Not to pick on you, but you bring up an interesting point. Seeing as being gay is a big part of who you are and how you live your life, it seems to me that issues such as gay marriage (and hate crimes, etc) would be a tremendously important issue for gay voters -- yet gays seem to throw support behind any Democratic candidate regardless of the candidate's stance on gay issues. Why don't gays hold candidates' feet to the fire more often?

Clinton's Don't Ask Don't Tell? Please.
Obama's selection of Warren for the biggest inauguration ever, one that is supposed to symbolize change? Plu-eeze.

Mir

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:38 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 11):
As stated in the Constitution itself those powers and rights not enumerated within the Constitution are reserved to the people and the States.

Never said that wasn't the case.  Yeah sure

Quoting DXing (Reply 11):
What is not there should not, and according to the Constitution itself cannot be interpreted.

It is possible to have questions about whether the Consitution applies in a certain case or not, which is by definition interpreting the Constitution.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

767Lover

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:45 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):

That's really not going to tip the scale any further left. The judges most likely to be retiring are the more liberal of the bunch, the conservative ones are younger and will be around for several more years. He would probably be appointing 3 in his term, so all he would be doing is pretty much replacing the "liberal representation" that's already there.

In other words, expect status quo as far as the Supreme Court.

mt99

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:45 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 14):
Democratic candidate regardless of the candidate's stance on gay issues. Why don't gays hold candidates' feet to the fire more often?

Easy. While democrats are probably not moving as fast as we want to, they are at least moving forward along with the gay cause. Republicans want to move backwards.

That was a product of the times. Times now have changed, and the policy must change.

dxing

Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:58 pm

Religion does not belong in the workplace,

Denying freedom of expression? Oh my!  wink 

If Obama wants to pray for his Presidency he can do so at his own time.

At what point does a President really have his own time? JK But in reality, both houses are opened with a prayer, that religion has flowed through the countries history is beyond question. Whether you agree or not, you always have the right to not listen to that part. Again, to the victor go the spoils. It's his party he gets to choose what to do.

Quoting Mir (Reply 15):
It is possible to have questions about whether the Consitution applies in a certain case or not, which is by definition interpreting the Constitution.

And if the answer is not in black and white in the Constitution then the Constitution does not apply. Part of the ongoing problem with the Supreme Court is the fact that the Justices have a tendency to ignore the provision about enumerated rights. That's how we end up with bad law that is next to impossible to get changed.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 16):

Correct. Although towards the end of a second term that could change.

luv2fly

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:45 pm

While I'm a big supporter of Obama, I don't know what he is really going to do for gay rights if anything,

Not to pick on you, but you bring up an interesting point. Seeing as being gay is a big part of who you are and how you live your life, it seems to me that issues such as gay marriage (and hate crimes, etc) would be a tremendously important issue for gay voters -- yet gays seem to throw support behind any Democratic candidate regardless of the candidate's stance on gay issues. Why don't gays hold candidates' feet to the fire more often?

Obama's selection of Warren for the biggest inauguration ever, one that is supposed to symbolize change? Plu-eeze.

Well I can not speak for UAL747 though myself being a gay man that supported Obama I went with what I believed was the lesser of the two evils. It should be interesting to see how this plays out.
You can cut the irony with a knife

mt99

Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:47 pm

]

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 19):
Well I can not speak for UAL747 though myself being a gay man that supported Obama I went with what I believed was the lesser of the two evils.

I agree with you. Obama may be 60% of what we want as a gay community, but the other choice was 5%.

Ill take 60%.

slider

Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:04 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 2):
I dont understand why it was not Rev Wright.

Yeah, a reactionary racist America-hating, race-baiting incendiary prick to lead a prayer for the inaugural is a great idea.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 20):
I agree with you. Obama may be 60% of what we want as a gay community, but the other choice was 5%.

You are aware of what Obama’s position is, correct? He has stated he was against gay marriage. How is that 60%?

searpqx

Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:24 pm

Yes, but after the last eight years, having someone in place that will maintain 'status quo', vs. someone who would help the bench tilt sharply to the right is important (if you're a social liberal anyway, a disappointment if you're conservative). However, the gay community should be very clear about something, PE Obama is not our friend. Because he is socially liberal, our goals and his will be far more aligned than they were under Bush, but he's clearly signaled that he's in opposition to the gay community on several key issues, the biggest being gay marriage. As far as actual support, I think maintaining the status quo is about the best we can expect.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

mariner

Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:40 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 21):
You are aware of what Obama’s position is, correct? He has stated he was against gay marriage. How is that 60%?

It isn;t - hopefully -- just about gay marriage. Other things, like DADT, fit in there, too.

At least, I hope it isn't just about gay marriage. I'll fight the hypocrisy of those who are against it, but it couldn't be less interesting to this gay man.

I have no desire to embrace, or be embraced by, a heterosexual/religious institution that was designed primarily to insure primogeniture, inheritance rights and dominance over women.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Superfly

Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:29 pm

That's really not going to tip the scale any further left. The judges most likely to be retiring are the more liberal of the bunch, the conservative ones are younger and will be around for several more years. He would probably be appointing 3 in his term, so all he would be doing is pretty much replacing the "liberal representation" that's already there.

Everyone knows that.
Bring back the Concorde

767Lover

Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:41 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 24):
Everyone knows that.

Then why did you imply earlier that Obama will install liberal judges thereby making gay marriage a reality? If everyone (including you) knows the SC will be status quo then it doesn't seem that gay marriage will be a shoe-in, does it?

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 17):
Easy. While democrats are probably not moving as fast as we want to, they are at least moving forward along with the gay cause. Republicans want to move backwards.

Having a known un-gay friendly pastor do the inaugural invocation is moving forward?

____
Not being gay myself, it certainly doesn't affect me directly the way it does you all. I'm just wondering why Obama gets a pass. After all, the Log Cabin Republicans got all over "their" candidate, Bush about the issue before the last election.

UAL747

Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:30 pm

I think the reason why gays supported Obama as stated above is that the conservatives, if in power, tend to push for less and less equality for gays. Sarah Palin

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 25):
'm just wondering why Obama gets a pass.

Because even though some of us have some doubts about what "exactly" he will do about gay rights, we see him as being more progressive and obviously more liberal being a democrat. We can't advance gay rights with a Republican in the office, sorry, but it's true. They are too controlled by the conservative Christians and southern/red states which share common values on this issue.

Democrats tend to come from areas where they have a broad sphere of influences and are exposed to a more diverse group of people, hence their increased likelihood to embrace the GLBT community as well.

Thus, most gays vote democrat.

The log-cabin republicans are walking oxymorons. Makes no sense to me, but whateves.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

slider

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:23 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 23):
I have no desire to embrace, or be embraced by, a heterosexual/religious institution that was designed primarily to insure primogeniture, inheritance rights and dominance over women.

Haha! Yes, off target, there, totally. Maybe you can explain where that was specifically spelled out dogmatically in the Bible. Maybe the "church" came later and layed on some manmade rubbish, but marriage is hardly an institution created for what you're claiming and you only illustrate your ignorance about this God given sacrament with your statement, no offense.

UAL747

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:45 pm

Well, also remember that many of us grew up in strong Christian backgrounds only to be shunned by most of our churches, which is also an issue. I'm not allowed to be a part of the "mega-churches" in OKC because I'm gay. I have to be "in recovery" to be a member. Then again, I don't know if I would actually get to be a member if I were gay, because there is sort of an "entry interview" to be members of most churches from my experience.

But being part of a Church has been a big part of our lives, up until the point at which we came out, then it's like the church turns the off switch and sends you packing. That hurts.

Honestly, I don't want to be affiliated with a church, and I'm not really religious anymore. I don't know if that was because of my college education, being gay, growing up in a more liberal society, or what, but it doesn't appeal or make sense to me anymore. Too many things don't make sense in religion, too much hatred has spawned from it.

But, I do think that gay people should have the right to be recognized by the church, not as sinners, but as people. Many gays and lesbians are still very religious and I think that's where the marriage/church thing hits home, and I think that's why Warren is a turnoff to them.

UAL

mariner

Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:13 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 27):
Yes, off target, there, totally. Maybe you can explain where that was specifically spelled out dogmatically in the Bible.

If Adam and Eve were created for progenitive purposes and had two sons - girls are not mentioned - then who was Cain's wife?

If Genesis 2/24 means only one man/one woman, what do we do about Lamech who married two wives, Ada and Tselah - Genesis 4/18?

Or the Patriarchs, who were surely not monogamous and were all about primogeniture - Abraham/ Sarai/Hagar, Genesis 16/2, for example - sons.

Or Solomon, how many wives and concubines did he have?

you only illustrate your ignorance about this God given sacrament with your statement, no offense.

If you want to believe this is God ordained, go for it, I don't step on your toes. But why impose your concepts on those who don't believe in God?

And if you want to debate Biblical history, I'm happy to go there.

mariner
aeternum nauta

searpqx

Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:41 pm

. I'm just wondering why Obama gets a pass.

What makes you think he's getting a pass? Within the gay community the is the number one political topic, and its seen for exactly what it is, a huge slap in the face to a bloc that voted pretty much en masse for him. Its also, hopefully, opening some eyes, that PE Obama is not our friend. We may share common cause in many cases, but gay rights are not his priority. He will, at best, remain neutral on many issues that are important to us. Our main gain in this election is the afore mentioned halt of the conservative judicial appointments, and the head of our nation will no longer actively be involved in efforts to strip Americans of their rights.

Maybe the "church" came later and layed on some manmade rubbish, but marriage is hardly an institution created for what you're claiming and you only illustrate your ignorance about this God given sacrament with your statement, no offense.

I'll vote w/ Mariner on the true reasons and origin of marriage. As you point out yourself, the church laid on the 'manmade rubbish', especially the concept of a 'God given sacrament', but marriage as an institution existed long before monotheism, Judaism, Christianity or any other 'ism or 'ity were conceived. Marriage has existed as long as man has had any form culture and civilization. Its primary purpose always has been and always will be social stability. For the majority of history, that meant the focus was on propagation of the species, and in western civilization, under control of a church with a (man made) patriarchal structure, it meant producing and promoting male children.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

mt99

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:45 pm

Having a known un-gay friendly pastor do the inaugural invocation is moving forward

You must really stop looking at the world in terms of absolutes.

Superfly

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:58 pm

Then why did you imply earlier that Obama will install liberal judges thereby making gay marriage a reality? If everyone (including you) knows the SC will be status quo then it doesn't seem that gay marriage will be a shoe-in, does it?

You totally missed my point.
I was simply pointing out that Obama is not homophobic. His selection of this Rick Warren guy will only last a few minutes. Obama's choices for judges will most likely be sympathetic to gay rights and will make decisions that will last for generations. Yes his judicial replacements will most likely be replacing other liberal judges but still at least it wont be a setback like had McCain/Palin won.
Bring back the Concorde

tommy767

Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:59 pm

My black friend said that many black families are extremely homophobic, which I don't know if it's true or not, but she says it's due to the church. I'm not sure, but it's disheartening.

Does anyone know any numbers on the hispanic population?

Not to stereotype but in CA the majority of asians, blacks, and latinos voted for prop 8. Keep in mind that a ton of Catholics are also in Los Angeles. Add it all up, and you have a majority.

What boggles my mind is many who voted for prop 8 also voted for obama. To me, this is a huge contradiction. I consider myself a moderate, didn't vote for obama, and I am against prop 8.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Superfly

Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:17 pm

Quoting Tommy767 (Reply 33):
What boggles my mind is many who voted for prop 8 also voted for obama. To me, this is a huge contradiction. I consider myself a moderate, didn't vote for obama, and I am against prop 8.

Just because one supports a given candidate doesn't mean that they support that candidae on every issue. Just like yourself who opposed prop 8 but also didn't vote for Obama. Shouldn't be so mind-boggling for you.
Bring back the Concorde

flybyguy

Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:43 am

I think all this rigormorole about Warren is nonsense. I really do appreciate what Obama has been doing over the past month. Everything he's done has a great deal of calculation behind it. From his appointment of Hillary to the position of Secretary of State to prevent a party rift in 2012, to his appointments for his cabinet both liberal and conservative I think after 8 years of unapologetic right wing rule, Obama is trying to administer the country from the standpoint of moderation.

I think a majority of Americans oppose gay marriage or are uncomfortable with the idea... regardless of religious affiliation. Warren is there as a representative of the christian church in January's festivities and to ease tensions between Obama's government and conservatives. I think my fellow Democrats are very short sighted if you want to force change down every American's throats by pushing extreme liberal agendas to the forefront. That was the mistake of the Republican Party of trying to push wasteful conservative agendas over common sense and practicality. Do not expect Congressional democrats to front bills that add a constitutional amendment in support of gay marriage, it would be political suicide to wage open holy war with conservatives on that level... especially after the results of the anti-gay referendums during the 2004 elections.

Obama must make himself re-electable in 2012 and his political moves in the next 4 years will keep to that task. Obama can't count on the overwhelming turnout that came for the 2008 elections in 2012. Obama rode the perfect storm right into the White House because of a vapidly unpopular sitting president, an unpopular war and a failing economy. It's virtually assured that he young people that put Obama in office in overwhelming numbers will no longer be as passionate about politics as they were in November '08 (especially with good ole George back at Crawford). Obama will have to gain the support of mainstream, traditional voters now to stay in power.

We live in an age of instant gratification, but a nation as a whole needs time for real change.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

767Lover

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 31):
You must really stop looking at the world in terms of absolutes.

That's just it...I don't.

Anyway, my original post was wondering why any Democratic candidate seems to gain the support of gays regardless of his or her position on gay issues. For example, Neal Boortz is completely for gay marriage (in fact, he is of the mindset that being gay is genetic rather than a choice) but I'm almost certain that if he were running for office, most gays would not support him solely because he's not a liberal or Democrat.

However, since I'm not gay, it really doesn't matter to me who gays vote for. It's their choice, but I found it interesting that there doesn't seem to be too much pressure applied from that part of the electorate.

bok269

Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:06 am

I see Obama's selection of Warren as nothing more than an attempt to include the more conservative end of the political spectrum in the festivities and an indication that they will be included in his presidency. All through this campaign we've heard conservatives complain about Obama not reaching across the aisle enough. If Obama is to do this, he is going to need to work with people that have different views than him and many of his constituents. Thumbing his nose at everyone that opposes gay marriage will accomplish nothing. I'm glad that our next President understands that.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac