stasisLAX

RNC CD "Barack The Magic Negro" Sent To Membership

Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:59 am

CNN is reporting that "A candidate for the Republican National Committee chairmanship said Friday the CD he sent committee members for Christmas -- which included a song titled "Barack the Magic Negro" -- was clearly intended as a joke.

"I think most people recognize political satire when they see it," Tennessee Republican Chip Saltsman told CNN. "I think RNC members understand that."

The song, set to the tune of "Puff the Magic Dragon," was first played on conservative political commentator Rush Limbaugh's radio show in 2007. Its title was drawn from a Los Angeles Times column that suggested President-elect Barack Obama appealed to those who feel guilty about the nation's history of mistreatment of African-Americans. Saltsman said the song, penned by his longtime friend Paul Shanklin, should be easily recognized as satire directed at the Times.

The CD sent to RNC members, first reported by The Hill on Friday, is titled "We Hate the USA" and also includes songs referencing former presidential candidate John Edwards and the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, among other targets. According to The Hill, other song titles, some of which were in bold font, were: "John Edwards' Poverty Tour," "Wright place, wrong pastor," "Love Client #9," "Ivory and Ebony" and "The Star Spanglish Banner."

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/...tire/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Not the least bit humorous nor political satire in my opinion.   

[Edited 2008-12-26 21:02:07]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

dxing

RE: RNC CD "Barack The Magic Negro" Sent To Membership

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:12 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Thread starter):
Not the least bit humorous nor political satire in my opinion.

They are absolutely hilarious. Missing is the fact that Barrack the magic negro is done using an imitation of the Rev. Al Sharpton singing as if he were using a megaphone. At the end of the song he is reduced to lamenting how if Obama is elected there won't be any more free buffets for him.

The piece "we hate the USA" is also a classic done to Lee Greenwoods "God Bless the USA". With a cast of characters from Bill Clinton to Al Gore and beyond.

I find it funny that SNL and any liberal comic can say just about anything they want about a conservative and that's ok yet when the tables are turned you hear nothing but the sound of stuck pigs.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Longhornmaniac

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:20 am

Quoting DXing (Reply 1):
I find it funny that SNL and any liberal comic can say just about anything they want about a conservative and that's ok yet when the tables are turned you hear nothing but the sound of stuck pigs.

Well, to be fair, those sorts of things don't typically reach as high as the DNC, but with that said, and without me having listened to the songs, even as a Democrat/liberal I can certainly find the humor in such things. Personally, I think everybody just needs to unwad their panties and get over this "political correctness." It's funny, it made people laugh, that was its desired goal, end of story.

DX, do you happen to have a link to the songs, or do I have to buy the C.D.  Wink I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

stasisLAX

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:27 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 2):
It's funny, it made people laugh, that was its desired goal, end of story.

Obviously not - someone from the RNC National Committee must have leaked the Christmas gift CD story to the press - probably because that member felt it was inappropriate and/or was offended by some of the lyrics included in this "gift"...

Source: http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...versial-obama-song-2008-12-26.html

[Edited 2008-12-26 21:30:15]
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

Longhornmaniac

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:29 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 3):
Obviously not - someone from the RNC National Committee must have leaked the Christmas gift CD story to the press - probably because that member felt it was inappropriate and/or was offended by such a "gift"...

I certainly wasn't saying that was the way it was, just saying that's how it should be. If this had been the KKK releasing the CD, then sure, it would be inappropriate (at least regarding Obama), but it wasn't. It was all in good fun, and people SHOULD (but won't) see it for what it is. And honestly, I'd be surprised, though not completely, if that was said member's motives for releasing it. Just doesn't seem like the "political" thing to do.

Cheers,
Cameron

P.S. Congrats on your 1,000th post!  champagne 

[Edited 2008-12-26 21:30:49]
Cheers,
Cameron

Mir

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:43 am

Well, to be fair, those sorts of things don't typically reach as high as the DNC,

checkmark  If this is the worst thing that the RNC pulls, I'll be happy. But they should leave that level of satire to the comedians.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

johnboy

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:56 am

Well I guess it's true -- you really do need to appeal to your base constituency.

Emphasis on "base."

zotan

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:23 am

I don't understand how a song using such a derogatory term as "negro" can be considered humorous. Have we completely forgotten the history behind it?

seb146

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:24 am

This is typical Republican leadership: They tell everyone their "humor" is perfectly acceptable, but when a comedian lampoons one of their own, it is an attack on America and her values, terrorists, al-Qaida, Sept 11, terror terror terror. This is absolutly disgusting. If you don't like being make fun of, don't do it yourself AND have it endorsed by Republican leadership at the same time! They pull this kind of stuff and then point to "liberals" as the enemy. Who is really trying to divide the country? Who is really trying to keep the classes and races separate?
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

Longhornmaniac

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:26 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 9):
If you don't like being make fun of, don't do it yourself AND have it endorsed by Republican leadership at the same time!

checkmark  I can completely agree with that. Turn about is fair play.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

mham001

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:43 am

Quoting ZOTAN (Reply 8):
I don't understand how a song using such a derogatory term as "negro" can be considered humorous. Have we completely forgotten the history behind it?

Since when is Negro "derogatory"?

BN747

RE: RNC CD "Barack The Magic Negro" Sent To Member

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:45 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 11):

When coming in this context, from a KKK member, rightwinger (Republican) in a business suit... it's intent is loud and clear as bell. History bears that out. Only those who lack such historical context/knowledge could ask that question.

Quoting DXing (Reply 1):

They are absolutely hilarious. Missing is the fact that Barrack the magic negro is done using an imitation of the Rev. Al Sharpton singing as if he were using a megaphone. At the end of the song he is reduced to lamenting how if Obama is elected there won't be any more free buffets for him.

It's amazingly easy to spot those who can't recognize 'racist antagonistic' actions when it hits them right between the eyes.

Quoting DXing (Reply 1):
I find it funny that SNL and any liberal comic can say just about anything they want about a conservative and that's ok yet when

Lambasting political leanings is equal to slamming ethnicities, huh? Cleary a mindset in a hole so deep...it'll never get out.

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 4):
If this had been the KKK releasing the CD, then sure, it would be inappropriate (at least regarding Obama), but it wasnt.'

Exactly, a guy in white KKK robe singing or touting this slanderous song, on a website, tv or whatever....

vs

A Republican-guy without the KKK robe ...but in a business suit. 1 degree of separation.

So let's see if I got this right...the KKK dressed fella sings it or sends out to all his friends...
and he's the racist.

..a rightwing RNC official does the same without a white robe and 'dunce cap'...and he's just having a little fun.

ummm..no, he's the very same as the 1st guy, even worse, because he is seeking to represent ALL Americans to some degree..and he should know better. Far better.

Is it now clear enough why conservatives/republicans are seen as racists? They just can't help themselves..they always come right back to their roots.

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 4):
It was all in good fun, and people SHOULD (but won't) see it for what it is

And therein lies the problem, good ol' boy fun at the expense of an entire race of people..something that has gone on for 300+ plus years. Since this is 'good fun' to types like you Longhornmaniac...why don't you share with the forum where you think (personally) drawing the line should be...any idea?

Rightwingers can't atack on Obama intelligently, so they must appeal to the lowest common denominator - ignorance prolonged. Expect more of this throughout Obama term...but I actually think the numbers of people who'll buy into the 'it's just good ol' fun' argument are nowhere near as strong as 10, 20 or 30+ years ago. But they'll try til their last breath..because it appears 'common sense, decency, respect and recognizing wrong from right' is simply too big of a cross to bear. It's just easier to stay stuck in stupid...to hell with progress and advancement of the society.

[Edited 2008-12-26 23:03:07]
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

flybyguy

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:02 am

My thoughts exactly. It's very anachronistic, but not derogatory.

As far as the topic goes, I think the trouble yet again is that conservatives want to say that Obama won mainly because of race. We can't deny the fact that race wasn't a factor, especially with the black vote, however, I think the reason why the Republicans lost big this year is because they sabotaged themselves. A lackluster response to economic crisis, an endless war effort on two fronts, and a nation wide campaign of muck-raking and appealing to citizens' most base instincts pretty much screwed the GOP this year.

Now they are all starting to rally behind Bobby Jindal in the hopes that the political magic trick of the next decade is to but a minority in the White House. Jindal is an amazing fellow in terms of his accomplishments, but too far right to appeal to any minority other than some conservative Hispanic Catholics. Furthermore, the GOP isn't the greatest party when it comes to inviting minorities to its ranks... look at McCain's campaign rallies for instance... looked more like the Wisconsin boondocks than a representation of the millions of different people that make up America. I have a feeling that if Jindal is pushed by GOP leadership to run in 2012 or 2016 the party will faction with racial discord.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

BN747

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:07 am

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 13):
Furthermore, the GOP isn't the greatest party when it comes to inviting minorities to its ranks...

And this mindless racist stint won't help either..and I'm sure by now it has hit every minority radio, print outlet there is by now. And they'll just tack on the the RNC Bill for they 'announce again'...we want to be more inclusive...yeah, sure pal..whatever you say.

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 13):

My thoughts exactly. It's very anachronistic, but not derogatory.

You clear overlooked my explanation and the 'importance of context' here.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

tsaord

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:16 am

Ha. Racism and Prejudice have many faces and try to disguise itself as something else. Then called the man the magic negro. I don't see the humor in it and I hate PC.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

Longhornmaniac

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:35 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 12):
Since this is 'good fun' to types like you Longhornmaniac...why don't you share with the forum where you think (personally) drawing the line should be...any idea?

It's certainly a very difficult, and incredibly fine line to draw. In this particular instance (and again, without having heard the song. I may sing a different tune afterward, no pun intended), I agree the use of the word "negro" is insensitive, and wrong. I'm not willing to go so far as to say it's derogatory in and of itself, and admittedly I lack the ability to properly contextualize it, because I haven't heard the song. Back to your original question, where do I draw the line? Let's put it this way, in this particular instance, it's sitting on the fence, and I could argue for it leaning either way. The medium of delivery (a Christmas CD), IMO, rules this out as slanderous or racist (it doesn't appear all the songs have a racial undertone to them, at least by title). It does seem to be simply a track, probably written by an upset GOPer, as a way of drowning their sorrows, or complaining about the new direction of US politics (and personally, I'll take this sort of thing in exchange for a different direction). Although I don't think the intent was to spark a race war, I can't argue with anyone who does take offense to this sort of thing. Personally, I'm able to laugh at things like this, not because I agree with anything their saying, but because it can still be good satire, even if it might be politically incorrect. Another thing, this isn't coming from any one entity, or "racist" and I do think your classification of Republicans as racists is a little outlandish. Perhaps you did not mean to say that all conservatives are racist, but that's the way it sounds. And that is definitely not fair. If you want to say most racists are conservative, that's fine, and probably true, but it doesn't roll the other way, too.

I hope I'm just misunderstanding what your saying, but what exactly is "a type like me?"

With all of this said, I agree with your general sentiment that it can be offensive, and is in poor taste.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

BN747

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:22 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 18):
Although I don't think the intent was to spark a race war,

Of course not, no need to go overboard...but OTOH, it can certainly start a trend..a dangerous one. What have we seen so far, several arrest by racist fools for making threats at Obama. A rise in KKK, white supremacist orgs...basically a measurable backlash...and the man hasn't been sworn in yet. So a Limbaugh racist slam here, an O'Reilly veiled one there, a nutjob Congressman like the one from Georgia a few weeks back, and now this from the RNC Chairmanship...yes, it can start a dangerous trend that will be difficult to stop once in motion. And don't think for a minute there are a lot people who want exactly that. A 'renewed divide' between ethnicities. Even as white America shrinks in majority numbers..certain forces want a rift at all cost to remain visible and more tangible until the last white man is standing. They don't believe in the Melting Pot America, the promise that is America. And it is thru perceived 'harmless fun' of this nature how racism gets new life and attempts to spread versus rescind.

Personally, I'm able to laugh at things like this, not because I agree with anything their saying, but because it can still be good satire, even if it might be politically incorrect.

Personally, I find jokes at the expense of a people to repulsive...especially when coming from someone with such clear intent.

Another thing, this isn't coming from any one entity, or "racist" and I do think your classification of Republicans as racists is a little outlandish.

It is not me..it is a wide spread general consensus if you converse with thouse outside your political spectrum. You know like 'Liberal/Dems=tree hunging, bleeding hearts, commie pinkos'...Conservatives/Republicans= warmongering, greedy, racist.' Most people are fully aware of those associations. Now, we know ALL Dems are not 'tree hunging, bleeding hearts, commie pinkos..." And I know ALL Conservatives are not Racist, BUT I do know MOST are what Martin Luther King termed 'unconscionable racist' (he infact said ALL whites were) ...I know that NOT to be true today. There are even racist Liberals...esp. 'unconscionable racist' Liberals. There's no outlandish here anywhere..is simply being aware of where the nation stands over time in it's changing social standing.

Perhaps you did not mean to say that all conservatives are racist, but that's the way it sounds.

I never said ALL conservatives were.

If you want to say most racists are conservative, that's fine, and probably true, but it doesn't roll the other way, too.

No it doesn't, but because the way it does roll...it doesn't do the other side of the equation a lot of justice or good in keeping it from being soiled as well.

I hope I'm just misunderstanding what your saying, but what exactly is "a type like me?"

Your visceral reply," It's funny, it made people laugh," "It was all in good fun," suggest you to be the type person who is completely ignorant of 'the racist history' of America. I just check your profile - and you fall right into that category. I don't mean ignorant in a offensive way..I mean that you just don't know. I don't care what they teach/taught you in school...it takes an adult life time of living with/mixing it up (good and bad) to start to begin 'other peoples (Americans) not like yourself. You come off as a very rational and well-rounded individual. Except, you just 'fell' for some crap from a much older man who KNOWS exactly what he was doing and why it was wrong before he even did it. He took the gamble...and if the blow back became to blistering..he knew going in 'he could always say "I meant it as a joke" and try to get off easy...which is exactly what he's trying to do now. What til you're like 27, 28..you'll be able to spot people BS'ing you with that "I meant it as a joke" nonsense...a mile a way.

Now that I know your age, I take back that 'your type' comment because I simply thought you were much much older. There are some members yet to chime in (they know who they are) that that should be reserved for.

With all of this said, I agree with your general sentiment that it can be offensive, and is in poor taste.

And you find it to be funny, fun...and as I said, because you are unaware of it's historical context and EVERYTHING that's attached to that type of behaviour and mentality...you comments as contradictory as they may seem.." I agree with your general sentiment that it can be offensive, and is in poor taste." yet "you saw humor"...believe it or not , is completely understandable.

BN747

Elite

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:51 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 11):
Exactly, a guy in white KKK robe singing or touting this slanderous song, on a website, tv or whatever....

vs

A Republican-guy without the KKK robe ...but in a business suit. 1 degree of separation

Are you implying that the difference between the KKK and a Republican is the white robe?

BN747

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:07 am

Quoting Elite (Reply 17):

vs

A Republican-guy without the KKK robe ...but in a business suit. 1 degree of separation

Are you implying that the difference between the KKK and a Republican is the white robe?

You can draw that conclusion if you want...but the point I was making is too many clueless individuals can ONLY recognize a 'racist' or a 'racist act' if the person doing it is 'wearing' a robe. And it is safe to say that KKK'ers and their admirers are joined with Republicans at the hip. And Republicans as you may or may not have noted...make little effort to make known their 'dislike' of that attachment. Feigned surprised and disassociations...yes. True authentic rejection....absolutely not.

BN747

Mir

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:21 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 10):

It's not derogatory per se, but it's a word that hasn't been used a lot since segregation, and so its usage can be seen as a reference to that period, which can understandably be offensive. It's not a word that I'd use, specifically for that reason - it's become a derogatory word.

-Mir

LASoctoberB6

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:34 am

I don't find that humorous in any way. That's just too far..
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

ltbewr

Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:33 pm

I am quite sure all Black persons, and many who are not, feel such a song, even as a prody, as very offensive, especially when you consider it's source. It is clearly intented to be offensive as to the race of Obama, to be attractive to many of their Southeastern USA supporters who are far too often racists, playing to them with a sick sense of humor. I hope this person of the RNC is fired or no longer allowed to participate in the party.

windy95

Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:46 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 8):
They pull this kind of stuff and then point to "liberals" as the enemy. Who is really trying to divide the country? Who is really trying to keep the classes and races separate?

When coming in this context, from a KKK member, rightwinger (Republican) in a business suit

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 14):
Racism and Prejudice have many faces and try to disguise itself as something else. Then called the man the magic negro. I don't see the humor in it and I hate PC.

Why does everyone gloss over the fact that the phrase came from a liberal journalist from the liberal rag LA Times? No one made a stink about it when it was published. Just when El Rushbo uses it to Lampoon the Rev Al Sharpton and the bias of the lib press. Nice double standard

Dreadnought

Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:45 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 12):
When coming in this context, from a KKK member, rightwinger (Republican) in a business suit... it's intent is loud and clear as bell. History bears that out. Only those who lack such historical context/knowledge could ask that question.

The term "Barack the Magic Negro" was coined (or revived) by the very liberal LA Times writer David Ehrenstein. The fact that nobody complained about it at the time is the whole point of the joke - a stab at the hypocracy of the left.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...-ehrenstein19mar19,0,5335087.story

I hate to explain joke to those who don't get it the first time, but if you still don't get it, it just further validates the joke.
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

windy95

Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:26 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 16):
There are even racist Liberals...esp. 'unconscionable racist' Liberals

Like Robert KKK Byrd.

dxing

Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:39 pm

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 3):
Obviously not - someone from the RNC National Committee must have leaked the Christmas gift CD story to the press - probably because that member felt it was inappropriate and/or was offended by some of the lyrics included in this "gift"...

When coming in this context, from a KKK member, rightwinger (Republican) in a business suit...

Lambasting political leanings is equal to slamming ethnicities,

Number one, the guy at the RNC didn't make this cd, he bought it from the website linked below. Number 2 it is political satire derived from an editorial at the LA Times as Dreadnought linked too.

Quoting BN747 (Reply 18):
You can draw that conclusion if you want...

As can you, but as usual your conclusions are devoid of the facts.

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 20):
I don't find that humorous in any way. That's just too far

If you haven't listened to them then there are a whole bunch of comedians of which I could list just a summation of their jokes and you would find them patently offensive as well.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 21):
especially when you consider it's source

What source? Paul Shanklin? That's where the cd orginated.

Quoting Windy95 (Reply 22):
Why does everyone gloss over the fact that the phrase came from a liberal journalist from the liberal rag LA Times?

Quoting Windy95 (Reply 22):
Nice double standard

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 23):
I hate to explain joke to those who don't get it the first time, but if you still don't get it, it just further validates the joke.

Finally, a couple of people who get it. As stated, the squeal of the pigs is loudest when it is liberals that are being made fun of.

DX, do you happen to have a link to the songs, or do I have to buy the C.D.

Fraid you'll have to buy it. Here's the place to go.

http://paulshanklin.com/

You can listen to short clips of "Barack the Magic" Negro and "We Hate the USA" here.

http://paulshanklin.com/wehatetheusa.html

Just a shame that they don't have a clip of "Yo Momma's So Fat" cause that one will make you laugh so hard you'll cry.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

dtwclipper

Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:43 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 25):
it is political satire derived from an editorial at the LA Times as Dreadnought linked too.

Regardless of the fact that it is political satire and indeed derived from an L.A. Times editorial, it is in poor taste and a bad move by an RNC official.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

mham001

Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:43 pm

Why can a liberal columnist can say it in the same context? And it appears you are saying the Republican who said it is also a KKK member. Is this true?

Mir

Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 23):
The term "Barack the Magic Negro" was coined (or revived) by the very liberal LA Times writer David Ehrenstein.

He didn't really do either. He certainly didn't coin it. The phrase existed, and he used it. Nothing more than that.

Don't try to pin this one on the liberals.

Mir

dxing

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:14 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 26):
Regardless of the fact that it is political satire and indeed derived from an L.A. Times editorial, it is in poor taste and a bad move by an RNC official.

Opinion, I have the same opinion about poor taste and Al Franken.

Quoting Mir (Reply 28):

The song is derived from the editorial which included this paragraph of reference.

"The Magic Negro is a figure of postmodern folk culture, coined by snarky 20th century sociologists, to explain a cultural figure who emerged in the wake of Brown vs. Board of Education. "He has no past, he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist," reads the description on Wikipedia " target=_blank>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro"

The majority of the song uses this paragraph as its basis.

"The only mud that momentarily stuck was criticism (white and black alike) concerning Obama's alleged "inauthenticty," as compared to such sterling examples of "genuine" blackness as Al Sharpton and Snoop Dogg. Speaking as an African American whose last name has led to his racial "credentials" being challenged — often several times a day — I know how pesky this sort of thing can be."

So yes we can lay this on liberals, don't blame us conservatives when the labels you like to lay on people come back to haunt you.

dtwclipper

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:17 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 29):

Opinion, I have the same opinion about poor taste and Al Franken.

Fine, it's my opinion that it is in poor taste, and it is also my opinion that you are trying to change the tone of this by bringing up Al Franken who has nothing to do with this topic.

seb146

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:32 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 29):
So yes we can lay this on liberals, don't blame us conservatives when the labels you like to lay on people come back to haunt you.

Well, no. In typical conservative fashion, the majority of the editorial is ignored. Like this quote from near the end of the piece:

"It's his manner, which, as presidential hopeful Sen. Joe Biden ham-fistedly reminded us, is "articulate." His tone is always genial, his voice warm and unthreatening, and he hasn't called his opponents names (despite being baited by the media)."

And, the author is African-American:

"Speaking as an African American whose last name has led to his racial "credentials" being challenged — often several times a day — I know how pesky this sort of thing can be."

There is a huge difference between one African-American explaining another African-American's popularity and a thinly-veiled racial attack.

I think this is all sour grapes because a Dem was elected president authenticly and legally instead of being elected by questionable means.

dxing

Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:38 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 30):
Fine, it's my opinion that it is in poor taste, and it is also my opinion that you are trying to change the tone of this by bringing up Al Franken who has nothing to do with this topic.

Great, explain how 10% of a single post is devoted to Al Franken and the other 90% to the topic is trying to change the tone. As stated, the loudest squealing pigs come in the liberal flavor.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 21):
I am quite sure all Black persons, and many who are not, feel such a song, even as a prody, as very offensive, especially when you consider it's source.

Pehaps you missed the one line in the latter portion of the editorial which I'm sure you read.

"Speaking as an African American whose last name has led to his racial "credentials" being challenged — often several times a day — I know how pesky this sort of thing can be."

Oops, guess we can't say All now can we?

Dreadnought

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:11 pm

Let's be honest. The only reason you have a problem with this brand of satire is that it makes people like you look foolish.

Quoting Mir (Reply 28):
He didn't really do either. He certainly didn't coin it. The phrase existed, and he used it. Nothing more than that.

As I mentioned, he revived the term. And why did he revive it? Because liberals like to segregate people by race. It is not Republicans or conservatives who want to treat people differently according to their race or ethnic background, it is liberals. It is the height of hypocracy to accuse the right of being like the KKK and of trying to keep certain ethnic or racial groups down, when it is the left that is guilty of doing exactly that. It is the policies of the left that have destroyed the Family among the poor. It is the policies of the left that cause people to be suspicious of the credentials of minority employees. Should I go on?
Forget dogs and cats - Spay and neuter your liberals.

seb146

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:14 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 32):
Great, explain how 10% of a single post is devoted to Al Franken and the other 90% to the topic is trying to change the tone.

I guess the tone of the thread is about ONE Senate seat and the rest is just filler and nothing to do with race relations viewed by the RNC. But, since Colin Powell was part of the Bush Administration, Republicans know everything about everything on race relations. /sarcasm

mariner

Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:47 pm

As an individual title, I think it's spot on - and I am astonished that the RNC would pay such huge tribute to the fine young President elect.

Listen to the actual words of the song and it isn't such a compliment, of course.

Put it in context of the whole CD - and it's title - and I'm scratching my head. It's just red meat to the Republican base - especially in the South.

Ultimately, one can only laugh.

Quoting DXing (Reply 32):
As stated, the loudest squealing pigs come in the liberal flavor.

Oh, have a little fun with it. Imagine the howls of outrage from the right if the DNC put out a song called "George, the Magic Cracker."  Smile

mariner
aeternum nauta

PSA53

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:15 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 1):

I agree with some of that.IMHO,that bias does exist.Example,Comedy Central needs to be more centralist.But with that said...

I just heard it on YouTube.I didn't really find it funny at all.But welcome to comedy,Ladies and Gents.Comedy can be very offensive.But this shouldn't be running in RNC political circles.Very bad.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Longhornmaniac

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:33 pm

They don't believe in the Melting Pot America, the promise that is America. And it is thru perceived 'harmless fun' of this nature how racism gets new life and attempts to spread versus rescind.

Fair enough.

Personally, I find jokes at the expense of a people to repulsive...especially when coming from someone with such clear intent.

I suppose I feel that a joke such as this can be funny. It all depends from who's mouth it's coming from. For example, if it was a liberal African American who wrote and released the song, It'd more likely than not be considered humorous satire. However, you're probably right, now that I think about it, while the stated intent may have been as a joke, there are certainly racial and cultural undertones to such a CD.

Your visceral reply," It's funny, it made people laugh," "It was all in good fun," suggest you to be the type person who is completely ignorant of 'the racist history' of America. I just check your profile - and you fall right into that category. I don't mean ignorant in a offensive way..I mean that you just don't know. I don't care what they teach/taught you in school...it takes an adult life time of living with/mixing it up (good and bad) to start to begin 'other peoples (Americans) not like yourself. You come off as a very rational and well-rounded individual. Except, you just 'fell' for some crap from a much older man who KNOWS exactly what he was doing and why it was wrong before he even did it. He took the gamble...and if the blow back became to blistering..he knew going in 'he could always say "I meant it as a joke" and try to get off easy...which is exactly what he's trying to do now. What til you're like 27, 28..you'll be able to spot people BS'ing you with that "I meant it as a joke" nonsense...a mile a way.

Now that I know your age, I take back that 'your type' comment because I simply thought you were much much older. There are some members yet to chime in (they know who they are) that that should be reserved for.

Well, I'm glad to know that you weren't meaning it in an offensive way. I will say, non-egotistically, that I'm probably more aware of such history than you might think. U.S. history is one of my favorite hobbies, and I've learned a lot about the prejudicial history of the US not only through school, but as you mentioned, through "mixing it up" with others, including many people who have experienced racism or other prejudices. My reaction to it, thinking about it after the fact, is not so much "LOL that's so funny because it's so true," but rather, "LOL, that's funny because it's so stupid, wrong, and typical." My reasons for laughing at such things are completely different than perhaps some of the targeted audience. My mentality may be better described along the lines of:

Quoting Mariner (Reply 35):
Put it in context of the whole CD - and it's title - and I'm scratching my head. It's just red meat to the Republican base - especially in the South.

Ultimately, one can only laugh.

Whether or not this CD was elicited to instigate a racial division movement. I don't know. I'd like to hope not, but coming out of the mouths of Rush and company, God only knows. I will say, this kind of gift does not belong at level of something as high as the RNC. Perhaps its just my naive belief in the goodness of people that this CD was meant to be completely in good fun. However, given the (unintended?) consequence that some people may take it, its not good to effectively see the RNC supporting it.

Oh well...

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

mariner

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:38 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 37):
I will say, this kind of gift does not belong at level of something as high as the RNC.

It seems that the RNC Chair agrees with you:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16876.html

Politico: "Duncan's statement, in full: "The 2008 election was a wake-up call for Republicans to reach out and bring more people into our party.

I am shocked and appalled that anyone would think this is appropriate as it clearly does not move us in the right direction."

Or maybe some here would argue that he's lost his sense of humor, too.

I find it - the song and the CD - difficult to take it seriously.

mariner
aeternum nauta

luv2fly

Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:44 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 1):
WOW I remember you calling me out for being disrespectful for referring to McCain/Palin as Geezer and Gidget, hello kettle your black, no pun intended.

Like my Mom always said, people who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.

[Edited 2008-12-27 11:45:34]
You can cut the irony with a knife

dtwclipper

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:52 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 33):

Let's be honest. The only reason you have a problem with this brand of satire is that it makes people like you look foolish.

I'm sorry I don't follow you at all. This kind of satire makes me look foolish? Why is that, because I have a different opionion from you? When I first heard it on Rush I thought it was in poor taste.....if we had a song about "Condi the Nappy Haired Sec of State" I would also find that in poor taste, so what's your point?

windy95

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:25 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 28):

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 40):
satire

The satire came from the LA times story and the insertion of Rev Sharpton as the singer of the song coming from the fact that at the time the song was made Sharpton and Jackson where still backing Clinton. And they both seemed jealous of Barack. The material for the song was all created by supporters of the DNC. It is no differnet that and SNL skit or a Whoopi or Rosie tirade.

johnboy

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:26 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 38):
Politico: "Duncan's statement, in full: "The 2008 election was a wake-up call for Republicans to reach out and bring more people into our party.

I am shocked and appalled that anyone would think this is appropriate as it clearly does not move us in the right direction."

Maybe some of the usual suspects in here can e-mail him and tell him what a hypocrite he is because he just doesn't get the brilliant political satire.

ME AVN FAN

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:37 pm

When I first saw a picture of Mr Obama I thought that he might be a "Med", a person from the Mediterranean area, and a "dark White". I only much later realized that he is a 50% white and 50% black person. To me, Mr Obama is NOT a "Negro" and not a "Black" at all . Regard him as a "Non-White" if you wish......................

dxing

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:56 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 34):
But, since Colin Powell was part of the Bush Administration, Republicans know everything about everything on race relations.

Damn...and here I thought Secretary Rice was African American too.  ouch 

Quoting Mariner (Reply 35):
George, the Magic Cracker."

They've done far worse than that.

And therin lies the problem with the RINO's. Has Senator Reid or Speaker Pelosi ever once come out and said that some joke about the President has crossed the line? Heck no since they've used some of the vilest language about him themselves. How about the ad about General Petraeus? That's the difference I pointed out in the beginning. It's ok as long as a liberal is using labels but when a conservative does, the pigs begin to squeal.

I would.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 39):
WOW I remember you calling me out for being disrespectful for referring to McCain/Palin as Geezer and Gidget, hello kettle your black, no pun intended.

Because you were doing it. I didn't write, produce, or am I singing the song. Look back through the thread, have I referred to PE Obama as the "magic negro"?

BN747

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:57 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 25):

Lambasting political leanings is equal to slamming ethnicities,

Number one, the guy at the RNC didn't make this cd, he bought it from the website linked below. Number 2 it is political satire derived from an editorial at the LA Times as Dreadnought linked too.

No one said he 'created' the CD. Untwist your panties there dude. I knocked Dreadnought's misleading attempt to pin it all on an LA times article...outta the park. I suggest you read that article (about the author). The two issues have ZERO in common.

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 37):

Whether or not this CD was elicited to instigate a racial division movement. I don't know. I'd like to hope not, but coming out of the mouths of Rush and company, God only knows.

Nothing wrong with wanting to see the 'good in most people' Cameron...but the problem is when you extend it to people older than you 'who know exactly what they are doing'...such as Limbaugh and this RNC chairman-wannabee...you trying apply something hopeful to individuals who are either proven racists (with the history to back it up) or adults who are hell bent on racial divide. After all...someone has to drive the racism wagon....or it simply won't go anywhere. And these guys are seizing the moment...

Now all this is starting to make sense...

(Dec 27, 2008)
http://www.electoral-vote.com/

History Repeats Itself
"First, the Republican caucus in the House and to a lesser extent in the Senate are dominated by conservative southerners, as Broder points out. Finding a strategy that will appeal to the whole country but also to them will be a lot harder than in the 1990s when the Republicans were a national party. Second, due to increased partisan bickering for the past 16 years, a lot of people really want Obama to succeed and if the Republicans adopt the motto "obstruct, obstruct, obstruct" it may not play well at all with independents."

It seems history itself is the wiser again.

The North, West and good part of the Midwest has jettisoned the Republican brand fpr a multitude of reasons..Bush being a good part of that. Evangelism and Rightwing-edness.. as being a huge buzz kill.

So the Republican Party finds itself ....IS dominated by Conservative Southerners...well well well....just what can we expect from them?

It means it is now up to Southern constituents to decide how to shape that party this point forward....and so far it doesn't bode well at all. History points the way of how it will turn out. And it appears with the recent spate of thinly-veiled racists swipes at Obama ... has come from who exactly? You guessed it...Southern Conservative Republican Congressmen...who are now in position to drive the RNC engine. It appears a leopard cannot change his stripes. A rattlesnake cannot resist the desire to strike out.

We're about to find out how much the South has truly changed ... in the face of non-white as President of the US. Clearly, much of the South did not want Obama in office - how much of that vote was anti-Democrat, anti-Obama and/or anti-black guy winning....we can never know exact numbers. But we do know skin color had something to do with it to a reasonable degree...and it's about to show it's face. Those like RNC candidate Chip Saltsman are slowing stepping forward and are unknowingly revealing what face the Southern Conservative-Republican Party will look like. How it will act and conduct itself.

With a start like this...how can anyone take the Republican Party seriously when they say 'they want start being more incusive'...

...answer, you can't. It comes off as the 'cheap BS hustle' that it is.

BN747

Superfly

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:21 pm

Not surprising coming from the Republican Party of today. What a bunch of pathetic sore losers.
It's so obvious who they were appealling to.

Quoting DXing (Reply 44):
Damn...and here I thought Secretary Rice was African American too.

...who was proud to see Obama elected.
Bring back the Concorde

mariner

RE: RNC CD "Barack The Magic Negro" Sent To Member

Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:45 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 44):
And therin lies the problem with the RINO's. Has Senator Reid or Speaker Pelosi ever once come out and said that some joke about the President has crossed the line? Heck no since they've used some of the vilest language about him themselves.

Why should they?

I think the RNC Chair was crazy to buy into this, to give it the oxygen of publicity. It's a frat house joke - leave it there.

mariner
aeternum nauta

zotan

Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:04 pm

Apparently people can't read. The LA times article was not supposed to be an insult, but rather a commentary on how white America views Obama.

And besides, you can't equate an LA times article to party leadership. One was written by an independent columnist, with no ties to the Democratic Party besides maybe an occasional donation. The other was distributed by somebody vying for chair of the RNC. A columnist is not a representative for an entire ideology. A senior party official for the RNC is.

Negro is a derogatory term. It may not have been 50 years ago, but times have changed. It is a symbol of segregation, and has become incredibly offensive to say.

Don't believe me? Refer to an African American as "negro". See where that gets you.

It's amazing how out of touch some people are. Republicans wonder why they they can't pull minorities into their tent, yet they pull stuff like this all the time.

zotan

Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:09 pm

He realizes the damage that the CD can have on the party. Inciting racial tensions is never a "humorous" thing to do.