UAL747
Topic Author

Sanjay Gupta Tapped By Obama As Next Surgeon Gen.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:44 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/...6/gupta.surgeon.general/index.html

"(CNN) -- The Obama transition team approached Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN's chief medical correspondent, about becoming U.S. surgeon general, according to sources inside the transition and at CNN.

The Obama administration approached CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta about becoming U.S. surgeon general

Gupta was in Chicago, Illinois, in November to meet with President-elect Barack Obama on the matter, sources said.

Gupta has declined comment."

Wow, great choice though. The people know this guy and has familiarity.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Dougloid

RE: Sanjay Gupta Tapped By Obama As Next Surgeon Gen.

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:49 pm

Gotta be better than Jocelyn Elders, she of "Got a problem? Jack off."
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

LTU932

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:52 pm

Don't they usually pick someone from the military to become Surgeon General?

mariner

RE: Sanjay Gupta Tapped By Obama As Next Surgeon G

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:55 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 1):
"Got a problem? Jack off."

Pretty good advice, all the same. It takes your mind off the problem.  Smile

mariner
aeternum nauta

NWADC9

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:24 pm

"We can decide that we've got to keep the guns out of the hands of our children. We can make safer weapons. We can make safer bullets."
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

EMBQA

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:30 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 2):

No... the uniform you see them wearing is a part of their position with the US Public Health Commision

[Edited 2009-01-06 15:37:06]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

NWADC9

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:22 am

What's the whole point of the surgeon general? Glorified mother?
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

ShyFlyer

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:41 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 5):
No... the uniform you see them wearing is a part of their position with the US Public Health Commision

checkmark  The USPS Commissioned Corp is one of the seven Uniformed Services of the United States. The Surgeon General holds the rank of Vice Admiral. The uniforms worn by the Officers of the PHS are basically similar to US Navy officers with some distinctive variations (commissioning devices, buttons, and insignia).

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 6):
What's the whole point of the surgeon general?

In short: The Surgeon General functions under the direction of the Assistant Secretary for Health and operationally heads the 6,000-member Commissioned Corps of the USPHS. The Surgeon General also has many informal duties, such as educating the American public about health issues and advocating healthy lifestyle choices.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgeon_General_of_the_United_States
I lift things up and put them down.

DfwRevolution

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:17 am

Quoting UAL747 (Thread starter):
Wow, great choice though. The people know this guy and has familiarity.

Why do you say "great choice" other than you have heard of him? This pick sounds a lot more like picking a pretty face and a good speaker to woo the public than picking someone with the credentials to make public policy. Might as well pick someone from General Hospital.

stasisLAX

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:21 am

Does this mean that Lou Dobbs will be named as the new head of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency since we're naming television personalities as politicians?  duck 
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

MOBflyer

Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:18 am

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 9):
Does this mean that Lou Dobbs will be named as the new head of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency since we're naming television personalities as politicians?   

My thoughts exactly... seems like Obama is being a bit superficial here if you ask me.

JetBlueGuy2006

Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:34 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 8):
This pick sounds a lot more like picking a pretty face and a good speaker to woo the public than picking someone with the credentials to make public policy

Hopefully you know his resume:

Undergrad: University of Michigan
M.D: University of Michigan

Residency: University of Michigan Health System/St. Lawrence Hospital

Currently: Associate Chief of Neurosurgery - Grady Memorial Hospital
Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery - Emory University School of Medicine

Television Work:

Chief Medical Correspondent - CNN
Medical Contributor - CBS Evening News with Katie Couric
Anchor - House Call with Dr. Sanjay Gupta

I think his background speaks for itself. He has the medical knowledge required to become the Surgeon General, and he is comfortable in the media. He will be able to convey to the public the health issues in the country.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

F9Animal

Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:38 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 2):

I think George Bush asked the same exact question.  Smile
I Am A Different Animal!!

DfwRevolution

Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:05 am

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 11):

I think his background speaks for itself.

Yawn... list the background of any MD and it sounds impressive, so no that really isn't too special compared to thousands of other medical professionals. His distinguishing features appears to be his CNN media credentials. That's what makes him qualified for SG?

Call me cynical but this is pandering. People will say, "Hey, I know that guy! I don't feel like an idiot because I've seen him on T.V. and he talked about the South Beach diet the other day!" The coup is that Obama gets a popular figure who happens to be a minority into a high-profile position where he can't really do any damage. And I'm sure CNN will gush over the choice since Obama picked one of their own.

jcs17

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:00 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 13):

Yawn... list the background of any MD and it sounds impressive, so no that really isn't too special compared to thousands of other medical professionals. His distinguishing features appears to be his CNN media credentials. That's what makes him qualified for SG?

Exactly. The guy has very little (read: none at all) experience in public health policy, which is fairly important to anyone becoming Surgeon General. This is especially damning because the giver-of-life himself, Msr. Obama will most likely try to socialize health care. Don't get me wrong, I don't want socialized medicine, but if it is to happen, I would certainly want someone with more experience in the field of health policy to be at Obama's side. I don't think telegenic should be at the top of the list when it comes to selecting a Surgeon General.

That all said, it's a shame Mr. Gupta didn't spend a couple years in the Senate, then he could have arguably had as much experience as Obama -- who will be President.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Aaron747

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:18 pm

I'm surprised the rabid right-wingers aren't giving Dr. Gupta more credit since he's the only person on CNN to have ripped Michael Moore a new one in recent memory.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

jcs17

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:50 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 15):
I'm surprised the rabid right-wingers aren't giving Dr. Gupta more credit since he's the only person on CNN to have ripped Michael Moore a new one in recent memory.

I will give him credit for that, but that doesn't mean that I am going to ignore his inexperience in public health policy. Fair and balanced, JCS17.  Wink

pnqiad

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:58 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 14):
Exactly. The guy has very little (read: none at all) experience in public health policy, which is fairly important to anyone becoming Surgeon General.

Actually - he was a health policy fellow in the Clinton administration. So not quite "none at all" experience.

dxing

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 7):
The USPS Commissioned Corp

The United States Postal Service has a "Commissioned Corp"?  rotfl  Me thinks you missed a letter there! At least I hope so, I'd hate to think the Surgeon General is beholden to the Post Master General!

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 9):
since we're naming television personalities as politicians?

Technically he will not be politician but a bureaucrat. Bureaucrats are even more sinister than politicians.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Elite

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Quoting PNQIAD (Reply 17):
Actually - he was a health policy fellow in the Clinton administration. So not quite "none at all" experience.

Even with that Gupta just doesn't stand out enough to be Surgeon General.

captaink

Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:00 pm

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 14):

That all said, it's a shame Mr. Gupta didn't spend a couple years in the Senate, then he could have arguably had as much experience as Obama -- who will be President.

Would be quite a thing, if all this just works out. I mean with all the experience in the world that last administration didn't do much, so that in my opinion is starting to become a non-issue. Right now we need change, the 'old' way of doing things (the experience) is seeminglly killing us.
There is something special about planes....

daedaeg

Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:33 pm

Surgeon General isn't a policy making post. It's more of a spokesperson or advocate of policy. In that role, he should do fine. To be honest, he'll probably have less influence on the public as Surgeon General than he does on CNN. I'd probably keep my TV job if I were him. It probably pays more anyway.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

Charles79

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 20):
I mean with all the experience in the world that last administration didn't do much, so that in my opinion is starting to become a non-issue.

Exactly what I'm thinking. We had plenty of "experience" in the current administration and the results speak for themselves (unless you live in Denial Land).

Quoting Daedaeg (Reply 21):
Surgeon General isn't a policy making post. It's more of a spokesperson or advocate of policy. In that role, he should do fine. To be honest, he'll probably have less influence on the public as Surgeon General than he does on CNN.

Yup. Some folks are making it sound as if he could single handedly implement a national health system. He'll be lucky if he can at least influence Americans to eat less and exercise more!

desertjets

Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:03 pm

I am scared that for once I almost agree with JCS, put only so far. As presented Dr. Gupta's resume doesn't indicate much public health experience. But then the resume as presented is pretty shallow.

On the other hand, and this is where I diverge from JCS here, is that the existing public health system in this country is pretty much in shambles and we shouldn't be sourcing the next Surgeon General from there. And I suspect Dr. Gupta is probably more knowledgeable about those issues than his brief resume indicates.

In some ways I think we need another celebrity Surgeon General who is effective at communicating with medical professionals and the general population at large. C. Everett Koop was a good example of that as well. And in my brief time on this earth I cannot remember any surgeon general other than Dr. Koop, or the wacky Dr. Elders.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Ken777

Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:36 pm

His distinguishing features appears to be his CNN media credentials. That's what makes him qualified for SG?

No - being a medical doctor is probably the basic qualification. Being a brain surgeon only demonstrates that he can successfully work through a lot of heavy science, from pre-med through his residency.

His CNN experience is a major help, though, in that he has developed excellent communication skills, especially in the area of public communications. Personally I believe he would do a very good job working with the public, especially in areas of eduction.

I believe that the critical issue related to the good doctor is the decision his family has to make in regards to a (probably) major reduction in income.

ShyFlyer

Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:59 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 18):
The United States Postal Service has a "Commissioned Corp"? rotfl Me thinks you missed a letter there!

banghead  Yeah, I did. I blame the keyboard though. ShyFlyer never mistake makes.  Silly How embarrassking.

For the record, it should have been USPHS.

Quoting Daedaeg (Reply 21):
Surgeon General isn't a policy making post. It's more of a spokesperson or advocate of policy. In that role, he should do fine.

Not only that, he is also in charge of the 6000 (or so) members of the Commissioned Corp. In that regard, he should have leadership and managerial skills as well.
I lift things up and put them down.

Confuscius

Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:55 am

Yawn... list the background of any MD and it sounds impressive, so no that really isn't too special compared to thousands of other medical professionals.

What qualification are you looking for the job? Commissioner of International Arabian Horse Association?
Ain't I a stinker?

jcs17

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:05 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 24):
I believe that the critical issue related to the good doctor is the decision his family has to make in regards to a (probably) major reduction in income.

He'll take a hit for four years, and after...um... the next presidential election, he'll be making four to six times what he is making presently.

DocLightning

Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:46 am

Sound advice to me.

Quoth Jocelyn Elders: "People say that we should teach abstinence because condoms can break. Well I'm here to tell you that abstinence breaks a lot more often than condoms do!"
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Dougloid

Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:36 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 28):
Quoth Jocelyn Elders: "People say that we should teach abstinence because condoms can break. Well I'm here to tell you that abstinence breaks a lot more often than condoms do!"

I was only being partially facetious. The indirect approach was not one of her strong points.

It is an important position-far more important than some think. Mr. Gupta looks like he's got the chops.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

DCrawley

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:00 pm

Just some food for thought, an interesting read..

http://www.thedailygreen.com/living-...anjay-gupta-surgeon-general-460109
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

DocLightning

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:02 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 29):

I was only being partially facetious. The indirect approach was not one of her strong points.

It's true. Unfortunately, in spite of the fact that she was 100% correct, arguing that masturbation is a safe and natural activity got her fired. I consider that to be a big black mark on our country and our society.

I am not sure if Dr. Gupta will be the best choice. He's handsome, he's flashy, and he's smart, yes. But I am not sure that he has the health policy experience that I would like to see in a Surgeon General.

Actually, my good friend from medical school is gunning for Surgeon General, although he's thinking 20-30 years down the line. I hope he makes it. It would be cool to be old friends with the Surgeon General, no?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PPVRA

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:42 pm

Looks like he is against the legalization of marijuana, except for medical cases:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1552034,00.html

While better than not having it available even for medical uses, his argument "because it's not good for you" is pathetic. Many things aren't good for you.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

bahadir

Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:58 pm

I would have preferred Dr. Oz, than again I am biased  Smile
Earthbound misfit I

DocLightning

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:28 pm

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 32):
Looks like he is against the legalization of marijuana, except for medical cases:

See, and I'm exactly the opposite. I feel that if you want to smoke pot, shoot heroin, snort coke, or just sit around and poke your own eyes out, then if you're a consenting adult that should be your right. Of course it should come with the same caveats as alcohol (no driving high, etc.)

But I think that marijuana is bad medicine. This is because it is unregulated, there are no good standards for purity or safety, THC and CBD content vary from crop to crop and strain to strain (Cannabis indica has a high CBD content in addition to THC, Cannabis sativa has only THC), and it's REALLY not OK to tell a patient to smoke something.

Now, I'm all for regulated, purified THC and CBD to be used as medicine. In fact, I fully support the approval of a metered-dose inhaler for the administration of these compounds so that patients with painful conditions like multiple sclerosis can get rapid symptom relief. Yes it's going to be abused and diverted; duh. I don't care. Patients should not be forced to suffer because the medicine they need has a high potential for abuse.

In fact, I believe that the ONLY medicine that should require a prescription is antibiotics and other antimicrobials. This is because misuse of these directly endangers the public by breeding resistance to these drugs. Otherwise, I believe that if you want to buy morphine then you should. Addicts are going to get high whether we make it legal or not so I'd rather see them do it without further burdening the public healthcare system with bacterial endocarditis, HIV, and other nasties caused by using dirty needles.

But just as I would give a heart attack patient aspirin rather than telling them to chew willow bark, I would not recommend marijuana as a therapy for any condition, even if THC or a THC/CBD combination might be quite helpful.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan