Yellowstone
Topic Author

Epic Fail For TN State GOP

Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:42 am

In this year's elections, the Republican Party won its first majority in the Tennessee House of Representatives since 1970. As one might expect, they were looking forward to appointing a Republican Speaker of the House, especially because that position is quite powerful in the Tennessee legislature. Well, it turns out that they did indeed elect a Republican Speaker, but not quite in the way they had hoped....

Quote:
(AP) NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Tennessee House has its first Republican speaker in 40 years, but the lawmaker who won did it without the support of the GOP.

Rep. Kent Williams of Elizabethton was elected speaker on a vote of 50-49 on Tuesday by getting the votes of every Democrat plus his own.

Williams upset Rep. Jason Mumpower of Bristol, who got all the other GOP votes.

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=9666368&nav=menu374_2

Williams is a moderate, and apparently he was tired of his party running ever further to the right. Not surprisingly, the GOP kicked him out of their caucus. Who says politics is boring?
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

JBirdAV8r

RE: Epic Fail For TN State GOP

Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:48 am

As someone who lives close to the constituencies of both representatives I can say I'm glad Williams won...Mumpower doesn't strike me as very bright (more at "idiot"?) Granted Elizabethton isn't exactly the most "progressive" district out there, but still that's an interesting development.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet