smcmac32msn

Wal-Mart Terrorism

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:09 pm

A Wal-Mart in Germantown, a northern suburb of Milwaukee was shut down around 1pm local time with 47 people hospitalized from a strange odor in the store. A substance has been found in the store. They are not ventilating the store, as they do not want to contaminate the outside air and the store is still closed at this hour. Here's several stories on the incident....

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/37653114.html
http://www.myfoxmilwaukee.com/myfox/...EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.1.1 (video)

Just as an update to this story, another SuperCenter Wal-Mart in West Bend, 16 miles from the Germantown store was closed for around 2 hours after reports of a strange odor which was investigated. The store was re-opened around 8:15am.

As for the Germantown store, as of 11:30am local time today, is still closed. They are cleaning up the area where they found a "substance" as well as the rest of the store. They don't even know if the samples they took last night are the cause of the throat irritation and breathing problems. There is no time-frame as to when the store will re-open.

UPDATE: The store opened at 5:30pm local time last night. After extensive cleaning and re-stocking including throwing out all the produce. They still are not releasing what this substance was inside. First doctors were told they were working with ammonia poisoning, then that was changed later on. All 47 people are expected to be just fine.

http://www.myfoxmilwaukee.com/myfox/...EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.1.1
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

ltbewr

RE: Wal-Mart Terrorism

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:15 pm

There are many substances that alone or in contact with other substances can cause dangerous fumes like if ammonia contacts with household bleach for example. Other chemicals found in such a store in the grocery, car maintence or hardware departments, if get in contact with each other from spilling can also create hazardous fumes. Most likely this was the cause. Of course it could be some a-hole who wanted to create trouble or hates Walmart*.

TSS

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:34 pm

Many Wal-Marts also carry pool chemicals, which if disposed of improperly can produce chlorine gas.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

falstaff

Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:13 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 2):
Many Wal-Marts also carry pool chemicals, which if disposed of improperly can produce chlorine gas.

That is for sure. I was at a Hotel in Oklahoma City back in 1989 and the hotel was evacuated for chlorine gas. We were told some Chlorine tablets got under a leaking pool heating boiler.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503