allstarflyer

Bush's Last Day In Office

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:47 am

Something I started in another forum (elsewhere  Wink ) . . . So, what should he do on his last day? Anyone see that video of him flipping off the camera? Maybe he has another one for the press. A slew of pardons? Who would get them? Maybe a tactical strike against North Korea? They have said recently they have enough plutonium to make a nuke. Imagine handing over the keys to Obama after that. Maybe one last joyride in Air Force One - say London and back. If you were the President, what would you do for your last day in office?
Living the American Dream

Doona

RE: Bush's Last Day In Office

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:56 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Thread starter):
If you were the President, what would you do for your last day in office?

Run naked through the whole building. No, wait, that would be my first day in office...

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

JFKMan

Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:19 pm

IF I was President Bush, or just president myself, on my last day I would just hang out in the oval office or just go for a walk through the entire historic building.

First of all, if I was President, I would of investigated the entire building from top to bottom. I think it would be fun.
AA - LGA

Elite

Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:22 pm

Just sit and think and reflect the last 8 years of his presidency. A good quiet session in the Oval Office is always good  Smile

B737200

Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Maybe one last joyride in Air Force One

I remember watching a program on Air Force one a while ago and if I'm not mistaken it said that the presidents get one last ride on it just before their term is over. I think they stop being president on it and the plane then changes callsign.

Anyone can confirm whether this true or not?
Lady Guinness is ready to fly...

sw733

Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Use that open bar privilege to see how many Guinness I could take down in an hour.

JFKMan

Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:10 pm

Quoting B737200 (Reply 4):
I remember watching a program on Air Force one a while ago and if I'm not mistaken it said that the presidents get one last ride on it just before their term is over. I think they stop being president on it and the plane then changes callsign.

No...since usually incumbant Presidents are present at the inaguration of their predecessor.

Although what your talking about did happen to Nixon who was flying to California when Ford was sworn in.
AA - LGA

IHadAPheo

Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:14 pm

All for the Oval Office....

Glue the phone's handset to the phone , plastic wrap the toilet bowl, program TV to only receive FOX News or "The Most Dangerous Game-show" (With your host Dick Cheney)

IHAP

Or Take a walk around the grounds and contemplate the past, present and future...
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

yooyoo

Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:28 pm

Put all calls on hold
Play an on-line game of Yahtzee
Have a few drinks
Steal a few pens and pads of paper
Make a paper airplane and provide the engine noises when flying it.
When leaving, place a tack on the chair.

Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

sw733

Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:39 pm

Quoting Ihadapheo (Reply 7):
program TV to only receive FOX News

We did something like this to a roommate of mine in college. He was a pretty far-right Republican and so one day I decided it would be fun to block Fox News, pretty much the only station he watched. I think his head about exploded.

STT757

Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:39 pm

Fly out to Area 51 on Air Force One and thank the Aliens for all the help and support.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

B737200

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 6):
No...since usually incumbant Presidents are present at the inaguration of their predecessor.

Sorry for the mistake then, I watched this program quite a while ago so I probably just mixed things up, thinking about it though the program did mention Nixon so perhaps I either misunderstood the narrator or my recolection morphed over time to include other presidents.

Thanks for clearing things up.
Lady Guinness is ready to fly...

Mir

Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:17 pm

He doesn't stop being president on it, since he's there at the inauguration.

Afterwards, however, I do think the airplane will take him back to Texas, though it won't be with the A1 callsign.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

JFKMan

Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:33 pm

Quoting B737200 (Reply 11):
Sorry for the mistake then, I watched this program quite a while ago so I probably just mixed things up, thinking about it though the program did mention Nixon so perhaps I either misunderstood the narrator or my recolection morphed over time to include other presidents.

Thanks for clearing things up.

Thats fine. I know Bush had been on Airforce One just a few days ago...so maybe they do it, just within the last few days.
AA - LGA

LONGisland89

Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:58 pm

I'd personally want to find out who killed Kennedy.

connies4ever

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:14 am

They have said recently they have enough plutonium to make a nuke

They already have tested (or tried to) one. The article in "The Guardian" I read indicated they have enough plut for 5 or 6.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

LTU932

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:29 am

I think they stop being president on it and the plane then changes callsign.

Correct, once the President is out of his office while on AF1, then the callsign changes. In the case of Nixon, the callsign changed in flight from Air Force One to SAM 27000 IIRC.

It only happens if the President was not attending the swearing in of the next President. Usually, the incumbent is always present at the inauguration of the new President, as previously mentioned.

On a curious note: I don't know if this even happens, but if the President was to fly on a civil aircraft while still in office, even if that aircraft is from a commercial airline, then apparently the callsign of that aircraft immediately becomes Executive One.

rfields5421

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:02 am

I want to see the pardon list tomorrow morning.

$5 says Scooter Libby is on the list.

787seattle

Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:12 am

I think you're talking about the Nat. Geo. presentation. They had a scene that talked about Nixon (?) being on Air Force 1 and changing call signs to the A/C reg as the term ended.

BTW, there's less than 12 hrs until Bush's term runs out.
Student - KELN

N174UA

Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:58 am

Quoting JFKMan (Reply 6):

I think you mean "successor"

Quoting Mir (Reply 12):
Afterwards, however, I do think the airplane will take him back to Texas, though it won't be with the A1 callsign.

Right - the aircraft will fly him and Laura back to Dallas (or maybe Waco) but not using the AF1 call sign, and then return to Andrews where Obama will have it as AF1.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 16):
but if the President was to fly on a civil aircraft while still in office, even if that aircraft is from a commercial airline, then apparently the callsign of that aircraft immediately becomes Executive One.

Only happened once...in 1971 I think....Nixon rode on a United DC-10, IAD-LAX. It was a publicity stunt, to show how he was helping save fuel by riding commerically. The UA flight was changed to "Executive One".

HAWK21M

Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:00 am

Probably meet up with all the staff & have a party  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

EA CO AS

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:39 am

Quoting Rfields5421 (Reply 17):
I want to see the pardon list tomorrow morning.

$5 says Scooter Libby is on the list.

Do you want to pay us all via cash or check?  Smile

http://www.newsweek.com/id/180448

In a move that has keenly disappointed some of his strongest conservative allies, President Bush has decided not to pardon Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, for his 2007 conviction in the CIA leak case, two White House officials said Monday.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

rfields5421

Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:45 pm

It's $5 divided among you all.  Smile

Though I do owe a couple people here.

George continues to surprise me with his relative honesty about pardons in some cases. Not nearly as susceptible to political pressure as his dad.

OA260

Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Maybe he will just think about his years in office and wonder why he is leaving as the most un popular and hated US president in history.

Thats enough.

MadameConcorde

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:00 pm

So, what should he do on his last day?

He must make sure everything of his has been all packed and moved out of the White House to make room for his successor and family.

Then he can have a big party on board Air Force One with his family and friends on their way to Texas (I suppose they will be heading to the Crawford Ranch).

Then he will be an ex-POTUS or U.S. President-retired like Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford, Bill Clinton and all the others. I guess he will go lecturing around the world and get paid hefty sums for it.

Now how about Condi Rice? What are her plans I wonder?
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

Kiqaboy

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:09 pm

I think I would:

-Try to hit the Red Button with a basketball
-Put on bast the hole USA capital.
-call Kim Jong Il and tell him that my Nuke missiles are better then yours.

Kiqa
once upone time

Dougloid

Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:17 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 24):
Then he can have a big party on board Air Force One with his family and friends on their way to Texas (I suppose they will be heading to the Crawford Ranch).

Except it'll no longer be Air Force One when Bush is no longer el Presidente.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

AGC525

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:09 pm

I'd sit at my desk in the Oval Office one last time and gaze out the window and think of my time as president, good and bad.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!